collapse

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3750
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
Lately I've been thinking about which countries/places etc. I would still like to visit. Obviously I'd like to see as much of the world as possible but there are certain destinations I think about more often than others. Of course I have lots of years to travel (I hope so, at least) so there's still plenty of time.

What are some places you would definitely not want to miss before the inevitable end?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10449
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Cuba Costa Rica Mexico was a trip I had planned 16 years ago, I came to Sweden instead :fp

Not sure I would do it though need to be a bit of a bum around no time limit type thing

was watching an old surfing film last night - kind of daydreamed about South Africa and then South East asia and Fiji surfing safari

But Belgium is on the not quite booked but I hope to soon plan for 2016 which I am happy about  :D

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    First off I will share a list of places I've already visited:
    The Americas: Canada, USA, Mexico, Cuba, Peru
    Africa: Morocco, Tunesia, South Africa
    Europe: Ireland, Norway, Guernsey (not been to the main British isle), Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Spain (Mallorca, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and mainland), Portugal (Madeira and mainland), Malta, Italy (Sicily and mainland), Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece (Kos, Lesbos, Corfu, Rhodes and mainland), Denmark
    Asia: Jordan, China, Vietnam, Thailand

The Bucket List
    Brasil and in particular the Pantanal wetlands. In my opinion this looks even cooler than the Amazon rainforest (mind you I haven't been to either so can only judge from pictures and stories).

Thousands of birds live here, and leopards, ocelots, alligators, capibara, anteaters, tapirs, otters, armadillos.

North Korea yes, really. It just really intrigues me and I've heard the North Korean people are very kind.

Namibia beautiful sand dunes and great wildlife

Moscow and St Petersburg

Argentina so many different climates in 1 country: tropics, steppe, desert, mountains, and great cultural sights

Iran one of the few countries in this region that you can still visit without having to fear for your life. I would especially like to visit the Pink Mosque

Angkor Wat

Armenia/Georgia lots of traditional villages and old churches combined with beautiful nature

Japan would like to go here just for this country's weirdness, but there's so much more to see besides all the hyper modern craziness.

Iceland

Are any of these destinations on your list too?
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    Other countries:
    Baltic States, Central America, Safari in Africa (Tanzania, Botswana, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, not really sure which country/countries), also Madagascar, India/Sri Lanka, Croatia
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 331

The Bucket List
    Lots of places!!    :D :D

Definitely recommend Japan - and as you say for the culture, history and scenery far more than the "Hello Kitty/Manga comic madness" of the place.

If you do go, I recommend making a point of going to Hokkaido as well as the other islands. Most people don't head up there, but it is an experience. The native people are not Japanese - and in fact bear more of a resemblance to Maori people from NZ than to Japanese. The island also sought to cede from Japan during WW2 and align with the Allies - based on the strong links that it had with the US.

Anyhow ... something to think on ...

And to answer your original question - I'd put Iceland, North Korea (I'm intrigued to see what it really is like - past the media bullsh*t that we're fed) and Iran (a friend cycled through there a couple of years back and she said that it was an awesome place with some of the nicest people she's met anywhere on her travels).

Oh, and Japan of course - so much so that, even though I love Canada, if a chance to live in Japan came up, I'd be really, really tempted to move ...
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    My bucket list is based around a couple of quite clear themes. See if you can spot them.

(Oh, and after Flo's effort - apologies for the lack of photos. I'm surfing while having a bite to eat at work ... so time wont permit ...)

My countries are:
    - Nepal - if I can avoid the main tourist routes and get some decent climbing in
    - Tibet - there's something that intrigues - so much so that I love the idea of a sky burial as a way to go when I meet my own demise! (Sorry if that grosses anyone out!) I just hope that there's enough of the "true Tibet" left to make it worth it.
    - The North    *ca - I work so close to it that I figure I should jump across the provincial borders on the way home one time.
    - Greenland  *gl - a really close family friend in Denmark was born there. I want to see what it's like
    - Pakistan  *pk - into the mountains, as well as Kashmir. And I want to cross the land border and watch the pantomime!
    - India  *in - everyone I know who's been there was initially repulsed and then fell absolutely in love with the country. What better sales pitch is there?
    - Morocco  *ma - there's an MTB trip that I'm busting to do over there!
    - Spain  *es - been to the Sierra Nevadas and rate it as the best mountain biking in the world! I could happily live there.
    - France  *fr - first time that I went there I felt like I was coming home ... So this probably fits more on the "place to live list" than a travel bucket list.
    - Antarctica   *aq - I've had friends who worked there and they love the place. Gotta go see it ... wintering over would be an experience - but that means working rather than visiting ...
    - Italy  *it - the Sud-Tirol calls very strongly ... Tuscany's making a good bit of noise as well ...
    - Japan  *jp - could keep going back and never get sick of it
    - Patagonia  *cl - I especially want to see Torres del Paine ...
    - Isle of Man  *im - gotta watch the TT - and ride the mountain!!!

(BTW - and I blind, or are there no French and Italian flags in the "smiley's" list??  :slow )

Right - now that I'm not concentrating on work, it's time to pull together our week ahead plan ...  :( :(
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 21:48 by Kiwirider »

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5658
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    First off I will share a list of places I've already visited:
    The Americas: Canada, USA, Mexico, Cuba, Peru
    Africa: Morocco, Tunesia, South Africa
    Europe: Ireland, Norway, Guernsey (not been to the main British isle), Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Spain (Mallorca, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and mainland), Portugal (Madeira and mainland), Malta, Italy (Sicily and mainland), Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece (Kos, Lesbos, Corfu, Rhodes and mainland), Denmark
    Asia: Jordan, China, Vietnam, Thailand
    That's a long list! :o

Only place outside Europe I've ever been to is Tunisia.
    Inside Europe it's the list of where I haven't been is shorter than the other way around: Iceland, Andorra, Finland, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Turkey.

My bucket list, in no particular order, includes:
    Poland
    Russia - my dream is to ride the Transsib all the way to Vladivostok
    Iceland

Namibia
    South Africa
    Zambia/Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls)
    Kenya/Tanzania/Rwanda
    - another dream of mine is to take a train from Cape Town to Tanzania
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10449
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Kiwi likes cold mountains

* fr * it not gaps = *fr *it
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    (BTW - and I blind, or are there no French and Italian flags in the "smiley's" list??  :slow )
    You're not blind - they were set as 'hidden' for some unknown reason. Should be fixed now. :)
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 787
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ

Russia - my dream is to ride the Transsib all the way to Vladivostok

I'm taking it next year from Moscow to Irkutsk to visit my girlfriend's family, I'll let you know how I get on!

Japan, Russia, Argentina and Mexico are on my list which is fortunate as I might manage a few days in Buenos Aires while I'm staying in Lima and am going to Russia next year as mentioned above.

In Europe, I've been to a fair few countries but never anywhere in Scandinavia and I've not been to Poland or the Czech Republic, definitely want to visit them at some point too.
  • ReplyReply

• esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 319
    Great thread! Nice one Flo... I've been extremely fortunate to have traveled extensively throughout my cycling career, and through a few Asian countries when I lived in Aus (I'm NOT divulging the debauched tales btw...) The one place I would love to visit, and it's on my "hit-list" is Iceland (and to a lesser degree Greenland)... There's just something about the place...!
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2454
    So many places.. In the past two months I've been able to cross off Nepal and Thailand (well, cross off.. Especially in Nepal there are still many things to do for a next time). Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam I'll also do for sure on this trip.

Other countries:
    Myanmar- much less touristy than the rest of SE Asia, and seems like a great country to go to.
    Malaysia / Indonesia / Philippines- so many great islands to visit there..
    New Zealand- great landscapes, bit more expensive but on the list for sure.
    Mongolia- don't know anything about the country, but it seems fascinating.
    The Arab world- always had a fascination for it. Morocco first on the list there, but Iran I definitely want to do at some point too.
    Latin America- start in Peru, then go to Chile. Rent a car there and drive all the way down to Patagonia.
    North America- west coast especially
    All the stan countries in central Asia
    Iceland
    Many cities in Europe I haven't been: Berlin, Madrid, Lisbon, Copenhagen, Moscow, Istanbul...

But who knows how many of these I'll do before this trip ends.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 293
    Not really a bucket list destination, but was lucky enough to spend last weekend in Utrecht (in and around university open days) - reconfirmed my thoughts that it is one of the great largely unheralded European cities.  Great architecture, beautiful canals, great food and nightlife, plenty of cultural diversions, fantastic people and a top 100 uni to boot.

:cool

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    Not really a bucket list destination, but was lucky enough to spend last weekend in Utrecht (in and around university open days) - reconfirmed my thoughts that it is one of the great largely unheralded European cities.  Great architecture, beautiful canals, great food and nightlife, plenty of cultural diversions, fantastic people and a top 100 uni to boot.

True, true :D

(says this person from Utrecht) :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    True, true :D

(says this person from Utrecht) :shh

Doh - should have had mini velorooms rendezvous in 'Oliviers' ... next time!
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    If I won a lottery - I'd have to actually enter one first, of course - I would visit every single UNESCO World Heritage Site. There were over 690 the last time I checked. That's a bucket list of sorts.

A lot of folks have mentioned Iceland. I've been there twice and it isn't often that I visit places twice. Y'all will love it there! :cool

Haven't done much lately. Brief jaunts to Estonia, Germany, Netherlands. Portugal last weekend. A quiet year.

However, the road calls again and I'll be on my travels at the end of next week. Three weeks of wandering about trying to stay out of trouble ...
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 319
    If I won a lottery - I'd have to actually enter one first, of course - I would visit every single UNESCO World Heritage Site. There were over 690 the last time I checked. That's a bucket list of sorts.

A lot of folks have mentioned Iceland. I've been there twice and it isn't often that I visit places twice. Y'all will love it there! :cool

Haven't done much lately. Brief jaunts to Estonia, Germany, Netherlands. Portugal last weekend. A quiet year.

However, the road calls again and I'll be on my travels at the end of next week. Three weeks of wandering about trying to stay out of trouble ...
    Join me in Aus mate! Heading over there on Monday for a 'snappy' visit...!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    If I won a lottery - I'd have to actually enter one first, of course - I would visit every single UNESCO World Heritage Site.
    Give me a shout before you come to the Wadden Sea. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 609
    I'm not much of a traveller and the furthest I've ventured in recent years is the few hundred miles north to the Scottish highlands and the Hebridean Islands. However next years sailing trip looks like it will be off the Dalmatian coast of Croatia. I'm assuming we'll be spotting a lot of dogs as we sail along.

The only location I would say is a bucket list destination for me is Kiribati. I lived there as a small child and only have one or to vague memories of it so I would like to go back and see where I used to live.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner

Larri there's 690 on UNESCO list and every week more are added ... :P
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 739
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!

It is mini Amsterdam but dont tell that to the inhabitants of Utrecht  :shh

Note: I live in mini Utrecht...

The places I want to see? I always have had a thing for Argentina, mainly due to my soccer addiction, Diego, Kempes, Ardiles, Luque, Cannigia, Passarella etc etc. A lot of Dutch dont like the Argentinians due to 1978 - a bit like the Brits for the Hand of God - but I love them.

So, Buenos Aeros is on my to want to see list, too bad for my problem of not flying...

The other place I want to visit is cemetary Morumbi in Sao Paulo where the Great Ayrton Senna da Silva was burried in May 1994.

Both are not going to happen or someone will have to drug me like they did with BA Baracas in the A - Team  :zzz2

I havent be a highflyer visiting other countries, I have been in Luxembourg, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Italy, France and not to forget the great city of Corby in England. Who doesnt forget that one, I allmost got run over because of those English driving on the wrong side of the road  :o :o

I also must admit I dont have a real drive to explore other countries, it is not like you can see everything in say 2 - 3 weeks imho. I like France, especially the part below Grenoble, and, when I like something I dont have to change.

• ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    It is mini Amsterdam but dont tell that to the inhabitants of Utrecht  :shh

Note: I live in mini Utrecht

... and not to forget the great city of Corby in England. Who doesnt forget that one

If Utrecht is mini Amsterdam where is mini-Utrecht?   :S

Plus Claudio you have my commiserations Corby... :lol

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    Utrecht is not as tourist-y as Amsterdam which is a plus for some people.
  • ReplyReply

• Il Grillo

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 36
    Syria, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Tunisia, Turkey and Egypt.

Places I've already been to, but want to return to: Greece, Japan and Italy (never been to Rome, I know, it's awful of me!)
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 273
    love to do Japan but I dream of seeing the Chilean Andes and riding the Panamerica Highway from Cape Horn or as far south as possible to Alaska, on a motorbike obviously, I believe it's doable on tracks and off road stuff. Other than that  more time in antractica and the islands of the Southern Oceans....
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 739
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    Utrecht is not as tourist-y as Amsterdam which is a plus for some people.
    Utrecht is great, especially Kafe Belgie. Came there for the first time in 1991 or so and whenever I visit Utrecht I always drink a Palmke there. Sometimes two.

As a city I always liked Antwerpen. Very relaxed place.

• ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    love to do Japan but I dream of seeing the Chilean Andes and riding the Panamerica Highway from Cape Horn or as far south as possible to Alaska, on a motorbike obviously, I believe it's doable on tracks and off road stuff.

Would be an awesome ride to do!

One thing to prep yourself for - you will not be able to do sea to sea. The last 15km or so  to the coast of the Chukchi Sea or Beaufort Sea are all under oil company lease - and so are off limits. You will be able to see the end of the road, but not ride it.

I tell you this because a number of my colleagues have worked on the North Slope, and they say almost every day over summer they'd see heartbroken motorcyclists being turned around at the edge of site ...   :( :(
  • ReplyReply

• Il Grillo

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 36
    Utrecht is great, especially Kafe Belgie. Came there for the first time in 1991 or so and whenever I visit Utrecht I always drink a Palmke there. Sometimes two.

As a city I always liked Antwerpen. Very relaxed place.

Gent is better though. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 273
    Can I put a shout out for Enschede.... some amazing cafes in the past.

Thanks Kiwirider it would be a dream to do any of it especially South America
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner

Recent Posts

Re: Man Down - Injury Reports 2017 by AG
    [Today at 01:27]

Re: Le Tour de Bretagne Cycliste by LukasCPH
    [April 25, 2017, 23:14]

Re: Velorooms/Fendrien Podcast by LukasCPH
    [April 25, 2017, 23:06]

Re: Tour de Romandie by search
    [April 25, 2017, 22:40]

Re: Tour de Romandie by t-72
    [April 25, 2017, 22:26]

Re: Official Prediction Game 2017 by DJW