• Liked: 774
  • End of season blues...
    • Fendrien
The Common Cold and Cyclists...
« on: November 24, 2015, 13:46 »
urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:flustered

:lll

I am having a shocker this week with the good old common cold so apart from the itchy sneezes and then tickly cough keeping me awake all night, I am great !

Anyone got a fool proof remedy for me or having similar autumn blues?
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 890
    Re: The Common Cold and Cyclists...
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 16:27 »
    urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:flustered

:lll

I am having a shocker this week with the good old common cold so apart from the itchy sneezes and then tickly cough keeping me awake all night, I am great !

Anyone got a fool proof remedy for me or having similar autumn blues?

Cure for the common cold? Yeah, I got one. Zinc. Not just any old zinc, taken any old way, but if you do it right, and you catch the cold in the first couple of hours - you can kill it outright. If you catch it within the first 24 hours, you can cut the severity to about a quarter of the full-blown cold - and it will only last 3-4 days, instead of 7-10. If you wait longer than the first 24, it will cut the severity in about half, and a day or two less suffering.

The down sides:
    * it apparently doesn't work for everyone. But it is real for most people.
    * if you apply it incorrectly, it can cause a permanent loss of smell. But this is NOT easy to do - you have to inhale it so that it hits the smell sensors in the back of your sinus cavities - and stays there for at least a short time. Also, this would not happen to every person who misuses it this way - but not enough research is available to know much more.

How it works: the zinc prevents virus reproduction. Since a cold is a viral population explosion - it puts a kibosh on that party.

How to use it: the simplest and safest method is to use zinc lozenges. Suck on one for about 15 minutes or so every couple of hours. For oral zinc, you can also buy mouthwashes that do the same. We buy a two solution mouthwash that releases its zinc just when you mix the solutions - just before using the mouthwash. This particular mouthwash gives you more hours than the lozenges before you need to do it again.

Sometimes the zinc in the mouth is not enough - the cold viruses are also reproducing in your sinuses. In the US, you used to be able to buy a gel to apply inside your nostrils. Using the nostrils and the mouth, it kills every cold for me. That gel product that was applied inside the nostril is what caused the problems. Some people used the applicator like a nasal inhaler - and they inhaled the zinc gel. And there were problems as a result. Since I can't buy that product now, I make my own - I use a dab of KY jelly and spray some oral zinc spray on it. Dip a finger in, and use that finger to spread it around inside the nostril.

BTW, zinc came on the market because there were studies done that showed it was an effective cold cure. Scientific, all that. There have been other studies since that show mixed results, but since it works 100% for me, that is what I care most about.

Of course, there is still Vit C, and some people swear by it. I don't think it ever got the study evidence that zinc has. Never helped me that I could tell.

As for the blues? If a good bike ride doesn't fix it, then a good dose of hugs or alcohol, or both seem to be helpful. Or take a holiday to the south and land on a beach somewhere. THEN apply the hugs and alcohol! 
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6243
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 18:34 »
    Cure for the common cold? Yeah, I got one. Zinc. Not just any old zinc, taken any old way, but if you do it right, and you catch the cold in the first couple of hours - you can kill it outright. If you catch it within the first 24 hours, you can cut the severity to about a quarter of the full-blown cold - and it will only last 3-4 days, instead of 7-10. If you wait longer than the first 24, it will cut the severity in about half, and a day or two less suffering.
    I have zinc pills that I take (together with vitamin C) when I feel a cold coming up.
    Now I finally know why zinc! :D

Or do they not do anything as pills?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 02:09 »
    I have zinc pills that I take (together with vitamin C) when I feel a cold coming up.
    Now I finally know why zinc! :D

Or do they not do anything as pills?

They do not do anything as pills - unless you suck on them in your mouth for a while to dissolve them. The whole action is in the mouth and sinuses - the zinc has to be present. And it only takes a very small amount of zinc - a lot less than is typically available in supplements. So the oral lozenges that are sold for use with colds have a very small amount of zinc.

You got me thinking though - the research that started this off must have been in the late 70's or, more likely, early 80's. I was still working for the airlines as a living, and since you can't fly with a cold, I was hyper-aware of colds and when a cold was hitting. The extreme hand-washing had hit a year or so earlier. (Cold viruses are typically passed through hand contact.) Between washing hands after any contact and using zinc, my last years with the airlines were cold-free.

That all changed when my youngest son first went to daycare. OMG, child daycare centers are disease factories! And there is SO much contact with young children you simply can not avoid catching the stuff. When my son was about 2 or 3 we had a solid year while pretty much everybody else in the family had something going at all times. I was glad when we got over that!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6243
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 08:10 »
    They do not do anything as pills - unless you suck on them in your mouth for a while to dissolve them. The whole action is in the mouth and sinuses - the zinc has to be present. And it only takes a very small amount of zinc - a lot less than is typically available in supplements. So the oral lozenges that are sold for use with colds have a very small amount of zinc.
    Live and learn. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 09:45 »
    I tried to ride it out on Saturday which was dreadful.

But loads of hot blackcurrant and honey and turbo in the warm yesterday has got me back on track.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 13:40 »
    I tried to ride it out on Saturday which was dreadful.

But loads of hot blackcurrant and honey and turbo in the warm yesterday has got me back on track.

Alright! :fp I totally forgot to say a simple "Sheesh! I sure hope ya feel better soon!"  And, as you already know, moisture, heat, humidity (like steam) help you feel better TODAY. Don't forget the chicken soup! Got that one from grandma, but didn't everybody? 

:)
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 16:30 »
    Soup is working... and no cycling until Weds... which is doing my head in.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 16:40 »
    That all changed when my youngest son first went to daycare. OMG, child daycare centers are disease factories! And there is SO much contact with young children you simply can not avoid catching the stuff. When my son was about 2 or 3 we had a solid year while pretty much everybody else in the family had something going at all times. I was glad when we got over that!

I had a housemate when I was at Uni who was an ER doctor[1]. He spent a pretty miserable 6 months battling infections of some sort... it happened to coincide with his rotation into the paediatric emergency department...

I managed not to catch anything from him... I have a pretty good immune system[2].
     1. That was the simplest, most universal description I could come up with
     2. Saying which all but guarantees that I will very soon contract the cold that is currently laying my girlfriend low
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 02:46 »
    I had a housemate when I was at Uni who was an ER doctor[1]. He spent a pretty miserable 6 months battling infections of some sort... it happened to coincide with his rotation into the paediatric emergency department...

I managed not to catch anything from him... I have a pretty good immune system[2].
     1. That was the simplest, most universal description I could come up with
     2. Saying which all but guarantees that I will very soon contract the cold that is currently laying my girlfriend low

If you can find something like it at your pharmacist - check out the mouthwashes. The stuff we got has two bottles - you mix them just before you use it - and the mixing activates the zinc. Supposed to be good for 12 hours. I used it recently when we had a friend in the house with a horrid nasty cold. So I used mouthwash a couple times a day - big deal. Or "no problem, no worries, mate!"
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Joelsim
    [December 12, 2017, 23:39]

Re: Team Aqua Blue News by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2017, 17:04]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2017, 16:21]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by LukasCPH
    [December 12, 2017, 16:01]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by search