collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1638
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: The Common Cold and Cyclists...
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:09 »
I have zinc pills that I take (together with vitamin C) when I feel a cold coming up.
Now I finally know why zinc! :D

Or do they not do anything as pills?

They do not do anything as pills - unless you suck on them in your mouth for a while to dissolve them. The whole action is in the mouth and sinuses - the zinc has to be present. And it only takes a very small amount of zinc - a lot less than is typically available in supplements. So the oral lozenges that are sold for use with colds have a very small amount of zinc.

You got me thinking though - the research that started this off must have been in the late 70's or, more likely, early 80's. I was still working for the airlines as a living, and since you can't fly with a cold, I was hyper-aware of colds and when a cold was hitting. The extreme hand-washing had hit a year or so earlier. (Cold viruses are typically passed through hand contact.) Between washing hands after any contact and using zinc, my last years with the airlines were cold-free.

That all changed when my youngest son first went to daycare. OMG, child daycare centers are disease factories! And there is SO much contact with young children you simply can not avoid catching the stuff. When my son was about 2 or 3 we had a solid year while pretty much everybody else in the family had something going at all times. I was glad when we got over that!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .