collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11184
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3257
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
Re: Man Down injury reports Season 2016
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2016, 10:08 »
Paris-Roubaix update for #movistar

*pt Nelson Oliveira has a fractured left collarbone and left radial head fissure. Neither is serious enough to warrant surgery and he is expected to recover in 3-4 weeks[1].

*es Fran Ventoso was - as we all know - viciously attacked by a rogue disc brake. He has had the wound drained and sutured to allow the swiftest possible recovery.

https://t.co/zj5vKuz6q8

EDIT - Interestingly, Movistar are not willing/able to confirm that Ventoso's injury was caused by a disc brake:

https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/719815114510229504
 1. Which might give him time to squeeze into the Giro squad, which I suspect was the team's plan
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:23 by cj2002 »
    He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #62 on: April 12, 2016, 14:09 »
    Gilbert update

seems he will be question by police now as the Guys were not drunk, they called to cops and Gilbert used somesort of spray ( ie pepper spray ) which is illegal  and he is out of Wednesday Ardennes warm up and Amstel not 100% likely and a Contract year   
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #63 on: April 12, 2016, 14:30 »
    oh dear  :fp
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #64 on: April 12, 2016, 16:37 »
    He's as much a part of the peloton as anyone - like him or not...

Carlton Kirby (Team Eurosport Pro Cycling Team) out of Amstel Gold Race with that most cycling of injuries...

https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/719910587929636865
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7562
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #65 on: April 12, 2016, 18:03 »
    He's as much a part of the peloton as anyone - like him or not...

Carlton Kirby (Team Eurosport Pro Cycling Team) out of Amstel Gold Race with that most cycling of injuries...
    I didn't know the clavicle had anything to do with one's ability to speak. :P
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #66 on: April 12, 2016, 18:07 »
    I didn't know the clavicle had anything to do with one's ability to speak.
    I suspect it's the opiates that would have the effect ;-)
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 818
    • Contador, Sagan, Purito, Paolini et all
    • Awards: 3rd place after Tour Down Under in Official Prediction Game ;PVelogames Giro Winner 2015
    « Reply #67 on: April 13, 2016, 07:58 »
    I suspect it's the opiates that would have the effect ;-)

What? they'd make him talk sense.... If thats all it takes i can hook him up with a dealer

• ReplyReply
  • I love Italian cycling, well cyclists & the odd Spaniard, oh & that 1 particular Slovakian  then there are those with names  that are great fun - zzzdnek steeeebar & Tieeeeeeeesj Benoooot

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #68 on: April 13, 2016, 08:05 »
    Gilbert update

seems he will be question by police now as the Guys were not drunk, they called to cops and Gilbert used somesort of spray ( ie pepper spray ) which is illegal  and he is out of Wednesday Ardennes warm up and Amstel not 100% likely and a Contract year

from the cyclists  side via Laz

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=4843.msg221078#msg221078
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13141
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #69 on: April 13, 2016, 14:04 »
    #greenedge Docker info, via his brother Kirk

“But in terms of what he’s done to his face: he’s broken his nose, he’s broken his cheek bone – he’s sent me a list of his injuries…

“Basically: broken cheek bone, broken nose, broken teeth and ‘face parts’.

“Heavy fall on both his knee and shoulder but no breaks.

[...]

“Basically he went over the bars and just landed on his face. What happened there is how he got those injuries.

“He’s pretty lucky, all things considered – and it’s pretty horrific – but the surgeon and the team doctor who speaks French, have both said he’s pretty lucky.

“He’s broken his cheek bone but it’s the bone right near his eye and he could have lost an eye…

“He’s got no head (brain) injuries; it’s all been given the all-clear.

“The head injuries [is what] he was really concerned about so they’re really mainly cosmetic [injuries] I suppose… and ones which are hurting and ones which are going to keep him off the bike for a little bit.”

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/interviews/update-on-mitch-docker-hes-pretty-lucky-all-things-considered/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #70 on: April 13, 2016, 15:30 »
    EDIT - Interestingly, Movistar are not willing/able to confirm that Ventoso's injury was caused by a disc brake:

Movistar may have hedged their bets, but Ventoso himself clearly isn't hedging his.

https://www.facebook.com/fran.ventoso.9/posts/10156809619355611

Scroll down for the English translation. And - fair warning etc... - he includes pictures of the wound. Not for the squeamish.
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 3rd place after Tour Down Under in Official Prediction Game ;PVelogames Giro Winner 2015
    « Reply #71 on: April 13, 2016, 19:27 »

You beat me to it... i was just coming in with Ventoso.. looking at those photos you cant deny that was a disc..
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #72 on: April 14, 2016, 00:46 »
    there were a few riders who were very vocal against disc's all along, for this very reason

when riding in the peloton, there IS going to be crashes ... and having disc's on bikes makes crashing into that bike more dangerous.

logic.
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #73 on: April 14, 2016, 07:00 »
    there were a few riders who were very vocal against disc's all along, for this very reason

when riding in the peloton, there IS going to be crashes ... and having disc's on bikes makes crashing into that bike more dangerous.

logic.

Some riders spoke out from the very begining.. typical UCI made the desicion by speaking to teams money men... not the riders

Like Fifa deciding to bring in a ball with razar wire to deter handling of the ball it was going to be sponsored and make the team money.. yeah say the money men, fillinf their boots - feck off the players say

(the above is not factual just an illustration  :lol)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #74 on: April 15, 2016, 01:31 »
    http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2016/04/15/uci-suspends-disc-brake-testing-after-ventoso-injury

The International Cycling Union (UCI) has announced the immediate suspension of its disc brake trial currently being carried out in road races.

This decision follows a request to do so made by the Association Internationale des Groupes Cyclistes Professionnels (AIGCP) – which represents all professional cycling teams – after Movistar Team rider Francisco Ventoso was seriously injured at Sunday’s Paris-Roubaix Classic.

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #75 on: April 15, 2016, 01:48 »
    and another opinion ...

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/186146-have-disc-brakes-really-led-injuries-peloton

suggesting that essentially unless its proved that they are dangerous ... we should let disc brakes in because ... well the manufacturers want them   :-x
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7562
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #76 on: April 15, 2016, 09:38 »
    suggesting that essentially unless its proved that they are dangerous ... we should let disc brakes in because ... well the manufacturers want them   :-x
    Well, money talks. Cycling in particular is a sponsor-driven sport.
    We've all seen the laughable photo ops pros have been subjected to - Lefevère's team seems to have a knack for these (Innergetic pillows, LIDL vegetables, Quick Step floors ... I could go on).
    If a team's bike sponsor wants the team to ride with disc brakes: How much choice do the riders have?

However, this view misses a key aspect: Safety.
    Riders have been complaining about electronic shifting, and some have quietly gone back to mechanical shifting. If they are to be believed, electronic shifting has cost riders races. And that is only a performance issue.

Some people argue that the performance benefits outweigh the danger of getting injured by discs (that is small in their opinion anyway).
    A different argument would be that even with performance benefits, a new technology should be required to be as safe as possible before being introduced to a full peloton of 200 riders all fighting for the win.

Nuclear power plants produce a lot of energy and are, for the most part, safe if handled correctly. However, when things do go wrong, the consequences are more than disastrous. It is because of that (however small) risk of very serious damage that many are against it.

Now, I don't want to compare disc brakes to nuclear power, but the argument can be transferred.
    We're used to having spokes and chain rings on race bikes, both of which can injure riders in some circumstances. Spokes can severe fingers! But they were introduced at a time when rigorous safety regulations weren't really a thing. If they were invented today, I have some doubt that spokes would get past the safety test.

I don't have a fixed position on whether or not disc brakes should be allowed (and hence, used) in the pro peloton. But I believe that given many riders' aversion to them, a serious study is necessary to determine if they do pose the risks some think they do.
    We already have mechanics filing off "lawyers' tabs" on the pro bikes; they were introduced to secure the wheel even if the quick-release wasn't tightened. Could we have hobby riders riding around with "pros' shields" on their disc brake-equipped bikes soon?
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #77 on: April 15, 2016, 10:11 »
    Personally, and I speak as someone who recently lost a tiny piece of little finger to a disk wheel, I'm still in favour of disk brakes. And if this trial has highlighted the need to make them safer, then so be it.

The need for disk brakes is in itself a safety issue, i.e. the unreliability of braking with carbon wheels in variable conditions which has seen any number of riders disappear over the side of mountains. While the causes of each incident are a matter of debate, Chris Boardman, who knows a thing or two about bike manufacture, is very outspoken about the contribution carbon wheels have to play.

Stating the bleeding obvious, braking is an important attribute when it comes to bicycles and so are wheels. What is not so bleeding obvious is the need to compromise braking or wheel performance when combining the two.

So disk brakes are the future, just not quite yet.
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #78 on: April 18, 2016, 07:12 »
    Fabio Felline came down during the roll out of Sundays Amstel Gold Race a freak accident proclaimed by Trek, he was cleaning dirt? off his front wheel and went over, very heavily.

Trek have announced a fractured skull, tweet attached (if it works) athough Felline was tweeting Sunday night his thanks for good wishes.

https://t.co/AAkpnFkmJW

Update on Felline

RE https://twitter.com/cyclingnieuws1/status/722671997872914432
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:35 by Trudgin, Reason: update on condition »

Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #79 on: April 19, 2016, 06:33 »

Alexis 'The Guppy Vuillermoz suffered cranial trauma after a crash in Amstel Gold.  Why this is only coming to light now i do not know (I could have missed it at work..

RE https://twitter.com/AG2RLAMONDIALEc/status/722069301184839681
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #80 on: April 23, 2016, 09:00 »
    Update on Felline, he's out of hospital with a brace for 2 months at least

https://twitter.com/cyclismactu/status/723765467559526401

Looks very painful, Ten Dam'ish
  • ReplyReply

• Murrjt

• A Brother
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 633
    « Reply #81 on: April 28, 2016, 19:38 »
    Gaviria out of his upcoming races with a fractured finger.

http://www.etixx-quickstep.com/en/news/detail/fernando-gaviria-update/2669

He fell off a ladder  :dizzy

If he wasn't injured he'd have definitely won every race he was going to be in of course ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1662
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13141
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #85 on: June 01, 2016, 15:01 »
    #bardiani news

SONNY COLBRELLI STOPPED BY PNEUMONIA

Sonny Colbrelli’s after-Giro d’Italia didn’t start in the best way. Today the Bardiani-CSF’s rider has been diagnosed symptoms of pneumonia after a medical check at Desenzano Hospital.

On Sunday, after Giro’s last stage in Torino, Colbrelli suffered symptoms of fever. During last two days fever intensified over 39°C. This morning, without any sign of improvement and following team instructions, Colbrelli went to the hospital.

Doctors decided for antibiotics therapy and, later today, he could leave the hospital. To ensure the best recover, team management and team doctor Giampaolo Benini decided for twenty days of absolute rest. After this period there will be further examinations to allow the rider to start training.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #86 on: June 03, 2016, 09:36 »
    https://twitter.com/roliveira57/status/738404833229672448

Rui Oliveira #bikecp crashed out during Stage 2 of the Tour de Gironde. His injury means he will (barring a miracle of modern medicine) miss the U23 European Track Championships in July.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 662