collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11246
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: Women´s Cycling Round table
« on: December 15, 2015, 12:00 »
Question 5.
In 5 years’ time, what will be the biggest issue in women´s cycling? Who will be the riders  (female) – that we will be discussing as the stars of the sport?

Cycling Direct Stuart
The biggest issue will still be the lack of sponsorship unless the UCI can find a way to provide a return to teams and sponsors.  Velon has some good ideas although not convinced the way those ideas are being implemented is correct. Even Oleg Tinkovs vision about financial returns has merit that women's cycling needs.   Both in the men's and women's disciplines there cannot be this continuous money pit, sucking sponsors dry for no hard returns.

Biggest stars - So much young talent out there it is so difficult to pick them out

Katarzyna Niewiadoma
Hazel Magill (RSA) - My outsider pick
Yolanda Neff
Hannah Barnes
Floortje Mackaij
Pauline Ferrand Prevot
Elena Cecchini
Clara Koppenburg

Stefan Wyman
I’d like to think that in 5 years we’d be discussing new riders that are youth riders right now, or perhaps who haven’t even picked up a bike.  I’d like to think that not many people have heard of them yet.  These riders can be inspired by the current generation, like Lizzie and Pauline, and hopefully get to fulfil their dreams of not only riding with these stars, but also beating them. 

I’d also like to see these rider surrounded by the stars of today, who haven’t grown disillusioned and left the sport.  Riders that are enjoying a long and healthy career in supportive and dynamic environments.

I’m confident the sport will get bigger and better, and the future for these riders will be excellent. I wouldn’t have a team with young promising riders if I didn’t feel they had a future.  So, you might even see one of them as a household name.   

Guy Elliot
I think in five years's time we will have made progress and there will be a good Women's World Tour with a second division of perfectly good "other races".  I would like to think that each year we will see good teams fighting to get a slot on the Women's World Tour and many women's teams operating with budgets similar to  the Pro Continental teams. I am not remotely bothered whether we have a three week Grand Tour on the race calendar as I don't see why we have to copy or replicate the men's calendar as women's racing should develop something different.  I hope we see well organised women's national tours in all major countries and that our female athletes are better recognised and appreciated.  I don't feel qualified to pick the best riders so far ahead but I think PFP, Elisa Longo Borghini and Anna van der Breggen have very bright futures.

Yolanda Álvarez
Guessing game: that the world of cycling talks about the greatness of this sport without gender differences.

The riders to be the next stars will come from the U.S, UK and Australia. These countries are nurturing women's cycling in a clever way, so the future cycling stars talk English.

Karl Lima
In 5 years, we will probably still look for causes to complain about how everybody treat women cycling bad, even though it will probably be much better. The stars of the sport will be the likes of Susanne Andersen (Norway), Anna van der Breggen, Elisa Longo Borghini, Pauline Ferrand Prevot.

Velofocus
The breadth and depth of talent in women's cycling seems to be improving with every year that passes. I'm sure we'll be talking about riders that are starting to make their mark now, like Floortje Mackaij, Kasia Niewiadoma and Amalie Dideriksen. Then of course Chloe Dygert's performance in the Juniors at Worlds is hard to ignore.

Sarah Connolly
I have no idea how to answer that question!  I could go cynical or optimistic, but in 5 years' time, I hope the Olympics have really upped the profile of the sport, as they have done every time, we won't have any holes in the 2021 calendar, due to "pop-up" races appearing for 1 year (& Olympic qualification points) only, and I won't be doing all of the stuff I do, because the mainstream media will be covering women's cycling, & people won't need me!

Stars of the future?  I am excited about Floortje Mackaij and Amalie Dideriksen, but I am terrible at 5 year predictions - so much can change, and young riders can disappear or take time to adjust to the elites - and of course we always have the influx of (relatively) late-comers into the sport.  I think in 5 years time the sport will still be dominated by Dutch and Italian riders as the big rider blocs, but I think it'll be much more international, and the inspiration provided by riders like Mayuko Hagiwara and Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio will mean there are more girls from Asia and Africa dreaming big cycling dreams - I hope there'll be amazing pathways into the sport for these women. 

Suze Clemitson
I hate to say it but probably the same issues that face it currently - we'll still be talking about the lack of a minimum wage if Cookson's time scale is to be believed. I'm notoriously lousy at predicting stars of the future, but in five years time we'll have undoubtedly seen a changing of the guard - and there's always someone flying on the radar who breaks through and leaves us all to lift our jaws off the floor. Hopefully, however, whoever the sport's new stars turn out to be they'll find themselves competing in a sport that is professional, well regulated, safe and has an exciting and challenging calendar worthy of their talents.

Jessi Braverman
Call me crazy but I genuinely believe this upswing in women’s cycling is a true indication of the progress to come. I was at the meeting last March in which the UCI revealed its long-term plans to professionalize women’s cycling, and the plan addressed all the major issues currently in play – the race calendar, television and digital coverage, the vulnerability of teams and riders under the current model, financial stability (including minimum wage and prize money), increased accountability and instruction for team staff, etc. I believe we can (and hope we will) make serious inroads on tackling these issues over the next five years.

As the sport becomes more financially stable, the risk for doping increases. I hope women’s cycling never goes down the path that men’s cycling has gone done, but I think it’s something we need to actively monitor. The testing pool for women is so much smaller than the testing pool for men, and this needs to change as the sport grows.

Who will we be discussing in five years? I’m going to limit myself to road racing only in my response - Pauline Ferrand-Prevot, Jolien d’Hoore, Jolanda Neff, Amalie Dideriksen, Kasia Niewiadoma and Coryn Rivera. If they’re still racing, Lizzie Armitstead and Marianne Vos make my list, too.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:15 by just some guy »
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014