Italy    
R. of Ireland    
Spain    

Group D
England    
France    
Sweden    
Ukraine    

Spain or Germany are favorites for me. Based on what I have seen of Holland's warm-up games, they will not survive the group. ???

Tonight's latest warm-up results -

Austria 3 - 2 Ukraine
Italy 0 - 3 Russia  :o
Czech  1 - 2 Hungary
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Re: Euro 2012 June 8 - July 1
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 01:22 »
    Well in the absence of Scotland, guess im supporting the Republic of Ireland. Sooner england get knocked out the sooner we can get our club players back and save them getting injured.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03 »
    France to rain on a couple of parades maybe? As carp as they are, they're still okay.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:22 »
    I think Spain won 4:1 over S. Korea, and Holland:Slovakia 2:0.
    Today Croatia vs Norway.
    Catholic big "C" group rocks :win
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22 »
    England must have the most uninspiring team in living memory.   Rooney and perhaps Ashley young apart they are rubbish.

I also reckon we'll get our botties kicked by Belgium tonight.   :spank
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 13:45 »
    Spain or Germany are favorites for me. Based on what I have seen of Holland's warm-up games, they will not survive the group. ???

Spain and Germany are definitely the favourites. I think Germany will take this, they probably have the most complete team. Spain has a great defence and the best midfield of the game, but lacks true goalscorers.

Based on the preperation matches, Portugal won't do well either. I think the Netherlands will survive the group as second, pretty sure even this Dutch team can beat the Portugese, who are not looking particularly great. I could actually see the Dutch getting somewhere this year, mostly because most other teams are pretty bad. England, France, Italy, all looking terrible. However, once the Netherlands encounter one of Spain and Germany they will be out.

Still, football still is unpredictable. We might see another completely unexpected team win, like Greece a couple of years ago. If I were to bet though, I'd go with Germany, definitely.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 20:57 »
    Croatia:Norway 1:1 awful match, Bilić signed couple of days ago for Locomotiv Moscow, lucky we :win, go Bilić go!
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:34 »
    I think Spain won 4:1 over S. Korea, and Holland:Slovakia 2:0.
    Today Croatia vs Norway.
    Catholic big "C" group rocks :win

Yes they are just wrong it would be hard even for the press to hype them up and rooney banned for the first few games as well?  but shearer's logic is since no one is hyping them they just might win   ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 12:52 »
    Yes they are just wrong it would be hard even for the press to hype them up and rooney banned for the first few games as well?  but shearer's logic is since no one is hyping them they just might win   ;D
    Dude what are you talking about? ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 23:39 »
    Dude what are you talking about? ;D

OOps  :fp damn..i was talking about england.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 13:10 »
    Croatia:Norway 1:1 awful match, Bilić signed couple of days ago for Locomotiv Moscow, lucky we :win, go Bilić go!

Ivica Olic to miss Euros! Scans show Croatia striker's injury worse than previously thought. Nikola Kalinic to be called up
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 13:48 »
    Gary Cahill is to miss the Euros thanks to the injury he picked up on saturdays.
    Hodgson has called up Martin Kelly who is in fact a full back to replace Cahill.
    This has sparked controversy as he has once again overlooked Rio ferdinand, as he also called up another central defender Phil Jagielka when Barry was ruled out.

Not picking a top player is one thing, to then ignore twice again is a bit extreme and it highlights the fact that the only reason Hodgson doesnt want Ferdinand in the squad is not because of his playing ability but because of his brother's feud with John Terry over racial abuse, which will be taken to court in July.

The England team seems to be slowly falling to pieces with Walker, Ruddy, Lampard, Cahill, Barry and Wilshere all having been ruled out. And of course Rooney being suspended for the first 2 games. :'(
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 16:34 »
    Gary Cahill is to miss the Euros thanks to the injury he picked up on saturday.

That was pretty cheap behaviour from the Belgian, even if it was mildly funny at the time. Pushes the defender into the goalie to eliminate them both and  get a tap in, which will surely be disallowed, and in a friendly at that.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 19:38 »
    Ivica Olic to miss Euros! Scans show Croatia striker's injury worse than previously thought. Nikola Kalinic to be called up
    Yes I was going to post this terrible news, but I see Italians news sites are damn fast ;D and lucky. Kalinić can t score even against India 8) I am not optimist at all.
    Spain beat China 1:0
    I am afraid of Ireland, not Spain or Italy, coz we are experts (idiots) of underestimating teams, and if not world champions it is not worth to play with them.
    England in some serious sh*t.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 21:20 »
    Spaniard are already fighting between themselves, Italians are busted and Balotelli is red card bingo, but Ireland worries me, I could not sleep coz of them ::)
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 03:07 »
    Yes I was going to post this terrible news, but I see Italians news sites are damn fast ;D and lucky. Kalinić can t score even against India 8) I am not optimist at all.
    Spain beat China 1:0
    I am afraid of Ireland, not Spain or Italy, coz we are experts (idiots) of underestimating teams, and if not world champions it is not worth to play with them.
    England in some serious sh*t.
    Who was the last great striker to score against India? Only Thomas Muller in this Euros. There's the evidence that we're the best and scoring against us is the benchmark.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 10:41 »
    England's luck just got somewhat worse with Defoe heading home as his father just died, dont know if a replacement can be called up as we need Daniel Sturridge desperately, this must be something like half of the ideal first team squad who are unavaliable to play France.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18352148
  • ReplyReply

• The Poster Formerly Known As Moondance

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 19
    « Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 12:17 »
    Going for Germany for the victory. All areas of the squad are stacked with talent, and Spain's going to have to luck out sooner or later. It is a shame however that if Spain and Germany both top their groups, they'll be set up for a meeting in the Semi's and not the final, which might allow a country like the Netherlands or France  (or maybe even England :P) to sneak into the final.
  • ReplyReply
  • "The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead." - John Maynard Keynes, A Tract on Monetary Reform

The Poster Formerly Known As Moondance

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    « Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 12:24 »
    England's luck just got somewhat worse with Defoe heading home as his father just died, dont know if a replacement can be called up as we need Daniel Sturridge desperately, this must be something like half of the ideal first team squad who are unavaliable to play France.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18352148

Not Adam Johnson? I was shocked when Hodgson left him out. With Rooney, Carroll and Welbeck you're pretty well stocked on the striker spot.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 12:26 »
    Who was the last great striker to score against India? Only Thomas Muller in this Euros. There's the evidence that we're the best and scoring against us is the benchmark.
    Sage ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    « Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 16:12 »
    Mind = blown

• ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 16:22 »
    Not Adam Johnson? I was shocked when Hodgson left him out. With Rooney, Carroll and Welbeck you're pretty well stocked on the striker spot.
    No not really, most squads have 5/4 strikers and our wingers are sufficient.
    Remember that Rooney is banned for first 2 and if you want someone off the bench... it is not like either of the above have exactly great international records (though neither does sturridge)
    Also Sturridge is fully capable of playing on the wing or to the left of a 3 at the top something which he did a lot for chelsea
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 16:25 »
    England should give up football and concentrate on cycling :P
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 17:07 »
    England should give up football and concentrate on cycling :P
    No all our cyclists are from Wales, Scotland, Isle of Man or Keyna so wouldnt be much point ;)

Also
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18351326
    Things heating up a tad.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 17:21 »
    No all our cyclists are from Wales, Scotland, Isle of Man or Keyna so wouldnt be much point ;)

Also
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18351326
    Things heating up a tad.

But they can always ride for  GB and they have.
  • ReplyReply

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    « Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 18:10 »
    No not really, most squads have 5/4 strikers and our wingers are sufficient.
    Remember that Rooney is banned for first 2 and if you want someone off the bench... it is not like either of the above have exactly great international records (though neither does sturridge)
    Also Sturridge is fully capable of playing on the wing or to the left of a 3 at the top something which he did a lot for chelsea

Right, Rooney is banned... Forgot about that. That does change things.

Although 3 strikers is perfectly fine for us. Van Persie, Huntelaar and Luuk de Jong. Then again, we only play with one striker, and England is married to 4-4-2 no matter how obsolete it becomes.
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 12:11 »
    Thanks to the poll adder! :pray

I'll vote for Spain, because they're half Barca. :P
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 12:12 »
    A Germany Greece final with Spain somewhere according to the poll then.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1081
    « Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 12:23 »
    The Dutch to beat Germany in the final on penalties. Starting a new era of Dutch total defensive football, playing for 0-0 and then pens in every match.
  • ReplyReply

•