collapse

Slapshot

• Neo Pro
  • Liked: 305

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 4451
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
Re: Oleg Tinkov to leave cycling after 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 18:47 »
:daotec

Sell to Uncle Bjarne and Lars Seier and sign Berto for 2017  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 18:59 »
    До свидания Oleg. You won't be missed.

#Olegxit
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 305
    « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 20:19 »

#Olegxit

#Olegxit Love it!!
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 21:11 »
     Hmmmm.. Good riddance?
    Can't imagine he'll stop tweeting his inane thoughts tho.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1042
    « Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 21:15 »
    Hmmmm.. Good riddance?
    Can't imagine he'll stop tweeting his inane thoughts tho.

Can't remember the tweet exactly but I saw someone say earlier that his thoughts and opinions on the sport won't go away but his money and possibly a team will.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 23:21 »
    WE SHOULD BE SO LUCKY

I'll believe it when I see it.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1606
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 02:13 »

#Olegxit

I like the pun and all, but I, for one, WILL miss him. Folks have said he wasn't like Steinbrenner, but I can't see much difference between one loudmouth with money and the next. And when you relax and remember, that it is all just showbiz anyway, the Steinbrenner qualities are not all that objectionable. It brings a P.T. Barnum, or a Ripley's Believe it or Not flash and excitement to the stage.

He is not an especially intelligent man, but he is clever. And he was lucky enough to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right combination of cleverness, and he became richer than Croesus. And because of that, he is just like other "stars", and he is insulated in thinking he is always right. Which leads him to say pretty stupid things.

But he was certainly right about the need to reform the financial model of cycling. He just doesn't have the political sense of a common jackass as to how to go about making that happen. Nor did he demonstrate that he had the slightest idea about how to fight ASO. Or the UCI, I suppose, although I really think the UCI is more like the rodeo clown than the organizer. IMO.

And, Tinkov DID get Bjarne out of the sport - at least for a while. I imagine there are other characters still left in team management who are dodgier than Riis, but I think we all agree that he is a dodgy character.

So, I am NOT glad that Oleg is leaving the sport. Well, at least, not for us. For Oleg, I think he is making the right decision - but he's rich enough I don't give a hoot about what is good for him. He can afford any number of amenities to ease his day when the going gets rough - not to mention as many advisors as he wants. His own fault if he can't find and hire the right ones.

Tempest in a teapot, coming and going.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 891
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 07:36 »

And, Tinkov DID get Bjarne out of the sport - at least for a while. I imagine there are other characters still left in team management who are dodgier than Riis, but I think we all agree that he is a dodgy character.

So, I am NOT glad that Oleg is leaving the sport.

Surely you're joking?

The two are one and the same considering the deeds they have done to get where they are now, and I'm certain there was no altruistic passion for cycling in Oleg's coup. 
    He is a man who had made a living from ripping people off and , whilst I have sympathy for his next victims, I am glad to see his departure from cycling, his kind are too common in the sport already.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 18:44 »
    Surely you're joking?

The two are one and the same considering the deeds they have done to get where they are now, and I'm certain there was no altruistic passion for cycling in Oleg's coup. 
    He is a man who had made a living from ripping people off and , whilst I have sympathy for his next victims, I am glad to see his departure from cycling, his kind are too common in the sport already.

Not joking. I would not characterize Tinkov's businesses as having ripped people off. On the contrary, he was putting out Euro quality product in a marketplace filled with drech and trash. In the days that followed the collapse of the Soviet, there was a huge market demand for that. There were also massive opportunities to take advantage of how the people running things were disposing of the Soviet assets and system. Most of the original "oligarchs" of the 90's got their fortunes by taking advantage of what was on offer. As for ripping people off, I personally think that our Wall Street barons and denizens acted far less ethically, as a group, than the oligarchs and the nouveau riche of the Russian Federation did in that time of transformation. However, that may not be pertinent, because from what I know of Tinkov's businesses, he was not even a beneficiary of those state sales and boondoggles. But he might have been in some fashion. It was a time of massive economic change - and such times often result in a few people being very rich.

So, no, I'm not as distressed by Tinkov's morals as I am by Bjarne's. When Tinkov did start in with the team ownership, I recall he got quoted as saying to his riders that he did not care what they did, so long as they did not get caught. Which may or may not be accurate, but if he did say something like that, would reflect a very common Russian cultural attitude. And, it would make his anti-doping stance, if any, questionable, but he may have changed his mind, since, I do not know.

The worst think I know about Tinkov is that he acts like a typical rich asshole. Just because he pays somebody a few million bucks a year he thinks they should be winning races. On the other hand, his riders are willing to take the money. And we, the audience, get a good show.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 891
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 20:44 »
    I agree he's not a "typical" oligarch and yes his behaviour is typical of a certain kind of person who invests in a sports club and then sees it as their own personal plaything. He's certainly not the only one in cycling but I won't mourn his departure by any means.

I have no argument about Wall Street either although that wasn't really my point. Where you referring to the brewery? I'm sure you're right about that and maybe I overstated the case a bit. Still, I won't be sorry when he leaves.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11134
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 08:25 »
    Will not miss Oleg but a lot of what he says is correct

The Sport is too stuck in it´s ways and it needs to chance, and change needs to be the lead by the UCI and needs to happen much more quickly

but in saying that don´t let the door hit you on the way out Oleg

ps I do think it was great he told everyone know so people can start looking for new jobs or someone buys the team
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 299
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 10:01 »
    Personally, I think it's symptomatic of the way that top-level sport is going. Leaving aside his background and his insistence that cycling needs to change (on which he makes a good point) I suspect that his legacy will be more in terms of the money that he pumped in, a bit like Abramovich and co. in football. Wage inflation and the increased concentration of resources and consequent success in a small coterie of the richest teams.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 15:01 »
    I'm with Hierro, I think it's a blow he's stepping away. He brought money and personality to the sport and although one could argue that the money is tainted (and the personality too, now I think about it), the sport is better off with it than without it. It's not as if he created a monster that won everything anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 02:55 »
    . . .
    I have no argument about Wall Street either although that wasn't really my point. Where you referring to the brewery? I'm sure you're right about that and maybe I overstated the case a bit. Still, I won't be sorry when he leaves.

The brewery, the bank - I think he was involved in something else as well - I forget - but both of those had a more Euro regard for the consumer than a Soviet regard - which is no regard at all.

From restaurants, to new bathrooms, to new computer gear, to cars, tires, subway organization, every market in Russia that has customers had gone for way more "Euro" style. More catering to the customer is the bottom line. And not cheating them or making them wait in queue along the way, as it was in the Soviet.

It seems to me that Tinkov was one of the cadre who foresaw that trend and was able to capitalize on it.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 11:03 »
    I'm glad to see Tinkov go. This is a small, quiet sport and that meant he could afford to be very noisy.

I suppose I also suffer from a bit of old-world snobbery about the tacky, nouveau riche way he operated but it can hardly be denied that he did little to improve the profile of the sport despite moaning about it a lot.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Recent Posts