collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7509
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Stölting Cycling
« on: December 17, 2015, 13:00 »
It all started in 2007, with an amateur cycling team out of Krefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen, sponsored by the Entsorgungsgesellschaft Niederrhein. For 2010, bike manufacturer Rose[1] became a part of the team, and the following year many of the team's riders made the step to a newly-founded Continental team, while the amateur team continued with a smaller roster.

For 2011, the Test Team Raiko-Argon 18 was sponsored by clothing manufacturer Raiko and bike brand Argon 18. The latter have since become a relatively well-known name on the pro circuit.
The team and its 16 riders, including three foreigners[2], rode a number of mostly European races, but starting the season at the first (and only) Tour of South Africa, where the team first caught my attention, and finishing with the Tour of Taihu in China.

The following year, Stölting Service Group from Gelsenkirchen joined the team, now called Team Raiko-Stölting. Ex-pro Björn Schröder rode his final two years with the team and helped in developing young talents; another change was the arrival of team manager & DS Jochen Hahn, formerly of Winfix/Akud-Rose & Milram. For 2013 a new management company was set up - Stölting Ruhr-Profi-Radteam GmbH (a daughter company of the main sponsor) has managed the team since, and the team name changed to Team Stölting.

Other ex-pros joined the team, with Luke Roberts and Markus Eichler adding their experience, and several of the team's riders eventually reached the pro ranks:
*nl Jesper Asselman (pro with #roompot since 2015; at the team in 2012)
*de Max Walscheid (pro with #giant from 2016; at the team 2012-2014)
*de Phil Bauhaus (pro with #bora since 2015; at the team 2013-2014)
*de Christian Mager (pro with #cult in 2015; at the team 2013-2014, will return for 2016)
*de Silvio Herklotz (pro with #bora from 2016; at the team 2013-2015)
*de Nils Politt (pro with #katusha from 2016; at the team 2013-2015)

There had long been talk of the team wanting to step up to a fully professional level itself, and in August the news finally came: A merger of #cult CULT Energy Pro Cycling and #stolting Team Stölting for 2016, to be overseen by the German team's management company, renamed Stölting Cycling GmbH.
This joint venture has since fallen apart again when CULT pulled out of their sponsorship contract last week, but yesterday Stölting announced that they would continue on their own:
Deutschland hat ein neues Profi-Radsportteam
Rose was signed as bike sponsor[3], and Rose also facilitated the signing of Gerald Ciolek.

The full 2016 roster of Stölting Service Group looks like this:
*dk Michael Carbel (from #cult)
*de Gerald Ciolek (from #mtn)
*de Linus Gerdemann (from #cult)
*dk Rasmus Guldhammer (from #cult)
*dk Lasse Norman Hansen (from #tcg)
*dk Alexander Kamp (from #coloquick)
*lu Alex Kirsch (from #cult)
*de Thomas Koep (from #stolting; has made the whole journey with the team since 2011)
*de Lennard Kämna (from #stolting)
*fr Romain Lemarchand (from #cult)
*de Christian Mager (from #cult, reuniting with his old team)
*dk Mads Pedersen (from #cult)
*dk Rasmus Quaade (from #cult)
*dk Michael Reihs (from #cult)
*de Sven Reutter (from #stolting)
*de Jonas Tenbrock (from #stolting)
*de Fabian Wegmann (from #cult)

Post and discuss all things Stölting-related in this thread.
 1. who we'll get back to later
 2. *za David Brown, *dz Abdelbasset Hannachi & *nl Arne Hassink
 3. and thus, the story comes full circle
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 13:37 by LukasCPH »
    Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1599
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    Re: Stölting Cycling
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 13:33 »

*de Jonas Tenbrock (from #stolting)
    Post and discuss all things Stölting-related in this thread.

pssst flag....

Thanks for the history on the team  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 13:38 by LukasCPH »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 13:38 »
    pssst flag....
    I don't know what you're talking about ... :angel
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:10 »
    https://twitter.com/TeamStoelting/status/686864332299354112

Blue is the colour....

but will it still be POC I wonder?

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:57 »
    Late February. Hmm. But they'll race in Qatar, so the team kit will be presented before that. :slow

Anyway, I guess I'll put that date down in my calendar ... ;)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 17:07 »
    They are, incidentally, the only team still missing from the UCI's list of Pro-Conti teams (as of just after lunchtime in South London).
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 21:59 »
    They are, incidentally, the only team still missing from the UCI's list of Pro-Conti teams (as of just after lunchtime in South London).
    Hmm. Hopefully nothing more than paperwork - I can imagine that with CULT pulling out in mid-December, there'll be a lot of paperwork to re-submit and re-evaluate.

Also, you consider 5 pm lunchtime? That's more like tea time! :P
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 22:11 »
    Late February. Hmm. But they'll race in Qatar, so the team kit will be presented before that. :slow

Anyway, I guess I'll put that date down in my calendar ... ;)

Yeah I thought  it was late too, guess they have had a lot to organise.  I also thought they were racing Oman as well as Qatar, clearly I have not been concentrating on them. Wish they were starting  at Challenge Mallorca actually, I think Qatar may well be a step too far and way too soon... young team to be guiding Ciolek through that terrain.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 22:16 »
    I think Qatar may well be a step too far and way too soon... young team to be guiding Ciolek through that terrain.
    I suppose if an ASO race, especially this one where all expenses are paid, invites you, you don't say no.

And it may well be Ciolek guiding the young team. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 22:21 »
    Hmm. Hopefully nothing more than paperwork - I can imagine that with CULT pulling out in mid-December, there'll be a lot of paperwork to re-submit and re-evaluate.

Also, you consider 5 pm lunchtime? That's more like tea time!
    Agreed.. Fingers still crossed.

It was lunchtime when I checked the list. I was on the train when I replied to your post ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 22:25 »
    I suppose if an ASO race, especially this one where all expenses are paid, invites you, you don't say no.

And it may well be Ciolek guiding the young team. ;)

Hah... well that I'll believe when I see it... why would they turn down a chance at getting off to a winning start?

As for expense that's sort of why I thought they were doing Oman as well. Got it into my head that it was two race package. I think because I read something from Etixx (maybe) where they said that part of the problem was their Classics guys had to race Oman too and that didn't suit them.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 12:11 »
    ICYMI yesterday Team Stölting Service Group announced they would like to step up to WT in 2017, with the additional hope of being on the start line in Dusseldorf for the Grand Depart  :o

The interview (in German) was given by Hans Mosbacher, CEO of Stölting Cycling GmbH to rad-net.

Of note of course is the extra funding required and they will be looking for (and certainly need) another sponsor to get into the WT.
    But to rise in the coming year in the World Tour and thus certainly have the starting place in the Tour de France, additional funds are required. "With the current solution, we are our social responsibility, we have the professionals with respect to, complied. Sponsors of course welcome. I think that the Tour de France as an advertising platform expresses is attractive. The ARD will broadcast live the entire tour ", Hans Mosbacher advertises his team.

They'll need to fight for a place on it as well I suspect. But even so these are lofty ambitions.

The interview (WT/TDF and more) is posted to their Facebook site unfortunately also in German, and the auto translate on FB is worse than Google T  :S

In Other Marginally Related News
    As a total aside they mentioned Linus G once wore the  #yellow which led to me doing some research.  As many of you will doubtless remember this feat occurred in 2007 whilst Linus was riding for #tmobile.  Stage 7 from Bourg-en-Bresse to Le Grand Bornand to be precise. Young Linus riding away solo on the Col de la Colombiere and blitzing the 14km descent to take the yellow from Fabs. He held it for one grand day out before surrendering it to Chicken.

This was in the period when I didn't really watch cycling at all, so for me it was a fascinating trip into the past... all those #darkside names.

I even went as far as finding old video footage and this gem from Paul Sherwen when he was listing the many injuries of Vino

"He's got stitches in both knees, stitches on his elbow, bandaged fingers and pretty big raspberry on his rear end."
      :lol :lol
    Sometimes you can't beat a bit of P&P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 15:53 »
    The interview (in German) was given by Hans Mosbacher, CEO of Stölting Cycling GmbH to rad-net.
    The interview was made by someone in the team organisation and sent out as a press release. ;)
    Other than that, you're completely right. :)

WorldTour next year? Big plans! But why not aim high. I guess that even a German PCT would have no guarantee of starting the 2017 Tour - but that is what's needed to get prospective sponsors opening their purses.
    And if they don't become WT by 2017, they'd have to wait until 2020.

By now, there are a number of teams who want to become WT for next year: Stölting, BORA-Argon 18, CCC, "Team Hushovd" (if that comes to fruition) ...
    And only Tinkoff seems set to disappear. It'll be a mad race to get one of the 18 WT spots. Which is just what the UCI must want.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 21:00 »
    Agreed.. Fingers still crossed.
    I just looked at the UCI website - and Stölting Service Group is listed now! :win

Breathing a sigh of relief; you never know, after all.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 21:26 »
    I just looked at the UCI website - and Stölting Service Group is listed now! :win

Breathing a sigh of relief; you never know, after all.

Yeah I saw that today #phew...buy then I noticed Ciolek is not listed as a rider ...so wasn't sure it was all up to date
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 21:34 »
    then I noticed Ciolek is not listed as a rider ...
    Oh for the love of ...
    Lasse Norman Hansen isn't listed either. :fp
    UCI, get your bloody act together!

Probably something to do with their new contracts (after they agreed to a lower salary) not yet being stamped by the right people in the right order.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 12:01 »
    Oh for the love of ...
    Lasse Norman Hansen isn't listed either. :fp
    I didn't notice Lasse was missing *cries*
    [Puts self in the naughty be very ashamed of yourself corner]
  • ReplyReply

• P.

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 19
    « Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 01:29 »
    So my first post will be in this thread and I think Stölting deserves it ;)
    The interview was made by someone in the team organisation and sent out as a press release. ;)

WorldTour next year? Big plans! But why not aim high. I guess that even a German PCT would have no guarantee of starting the 2017 Tour - but that is what's needed to get prospective sponsors opening their purses.

By now, there are a number of teams who want to become WT for next year: Stölting, BORA-Argon 18, CCC, "Team Hushovd" (if that comes to fruition) ...
    And only Tinkoff seems set to disappear. It'll be a mad race to get one of the 18 WT spots. Which is just what the UCI must want.

For me it is really surprising that they come with this aim at this moment. They had problems to be the lone main sponsor from a procontinental team and now they talk about world tour? Think it is too early. But maybe they send this message to draw attention for new big sponsors. The Grand Depart in Düsseldorf will definitly help them. And there are still some of the biggest bike companies of the world in Germany like Canyon or Focus and they are one of the few big bike companies which are still not a main sponsor of a big team. There could be a chance for the team if they can attract one of them.

Anyway the development of this team will be really interesting

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11168
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 07:40 »
    For me it is really surprising that they come with this aim at this moment. They had problems to be the lone main sponsor from a procontinental team and now they talk about world tour? Think it is too early. But maybe they send this message to draw attention for new big sponsors. The Grand Depart in Düsseldorf will definitly help them. And there are still some of the biggest bike companies of the world in Germany like Canyon or Focus and they are one of the few big bike companies which are still not a main sponsor of a big team. There could be a chance for the team if they can attract one of them.

:welcome to Velorooms
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 20:30 »

ahh I get you... and then rad-net posted it??  Wasn't that clear from the FB post... or rather the garbled translate of the FB post... but hey we get new kit this week  :cool

Had forgotten the whole 3 year licence thing...

• ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 20:38 »

Welcome aboard  :)

Being surprised at the news was my first thought also, for the same reasons you express... it just seems too early.

But as Lukas said, and you point out... the TDF Depart in Düsseldorf is an opportunity that would be hard to miss. It might be accelerated, but if they can pull the sponsors on board and get it moving, then maybe it's a worth a shot. They really would have to pull something out of the hat to get the nod against German rivals BORA-Argon 18 though.

As you say interesting to watch
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1062
    « Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 20:39 »
    ahh I get you... and then rad-net posted it??  Wasn't that clear from the FB post... or rather the garbled translate of the FB post... but hey we get new kit this week  :cool
    Had forgotten the whole 3 year licence thing...

Given how cycling sponsorship works I'd be surprised if all teams granted a 3 year license in 2017 see it through to 2020 so I'd imagine there will be chances to step up to WT in the intervening years
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 20:52 »

I agree that it's very early ... too early probably. You can't build a WT squad on Guldhammer, Gerdemann, Wegmann, Ciolek, Kamp and Kämna.

But, as I said, the current perspective is to become WT by 2017, or wait three more years. They've probably thought that keeping the team running for that long, maybe even without a co-sponsor, would be too much to ask. And in that sense, the 2017 Düsseldorf Grand Départ is a godsend - it's the perfect pitch for a possible German sponsor.

I don't think that new co-sponsor will be a bike company. Canyon are well-established with Movistar and Katusha - why give up big names like Quintana, Valverde, Purito and Kristoff for a team that might be an 'also-ran' at the Tour (even when it's starting in Germany)? Focus has turned its focus[1] away from pro cycling sponsorship for the moment, I believe.
    They secured Rose as new bike sponsor (and contributor to Ciolek's salary, I suspect); no reason to switch bike partners again for next year, especially as I don't see any other bike brands coming forth.

Yes, pretty much. I got it on my mail, directly from the team - so it wasn't a Rad-Net exclusive or anything.

Given how cycling sponsorship works I'd be surprised if all teams granted a 3 year license in 2017 see it through to 2020 so I'd imagine there will be chances to step up to WT in the intervening years
    Probably true.
    You can still gamble on that route to WT if the 2017 step-up doesn't work, though.

It would have been ideal for the team if the Düsseldorf Grand Départ were in 2018 - by then they could feasibly secure a Tour wildcard on merit - and they could become WT for 2019. But things are different. ;)
     1. haha
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 21:15 »
    I agree that it's very early ... too early probably. You can't build a WT squad on Guldhammer, Gerdemann, Wegmann, Ciolek, Kamp and Kämna.

Well you can build on some of those, but they're going to need a hefty big lunge into the transfer market this year
    ... or another merger (wild idea just occurred, best ignored )

It would have been ideal for the team if the Düsseldorf Grand Départ were in 2018 - by then they could feasibly secure a Tour wildcard on merit -

Ahhh if only London hadn't messed about... orrr the Copenhagen bid had been earlier ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 15:43 »
    Well you can build on some of those, but they're going to need a hefty big lunge into the transfer market this year
    ... or another merger (wild idea just occurred, best ignored )
    IF they were to merge with another team, it should be a merger that makes a lot of sense.
    The CULT-Stölting merger was a relatively good match, with two teams focused on talent development. They shouldn't get involved with another team just for the sake of getting into the WT.
    So yeah, we best ignore that wild idea. ;)

It's hard to imagine which riders they could get if they stay in their main markets Germany and Denmark, though:
    The likes of Greipel, Degenkolb, Martin or Kittel will be unattainable.
    That leaves Arndt, Geschke (but why should they want to leave #giant?), Burghardt (but why should he leave #bmc?), Zabel (that might actually work, but I'm not sure his contract is up), Martens (who ought to fit well into the team - if they hadn't already a couple of riders in his mould[1]). And if looking at Thömel or Pascal Ackermann, we're already scraping the bottom of the barrel - those are hardly names to inspire fear in a WT peloton.
    If the Tinkoff team does fold when its backer backs out, Jesper Hansen and Michael Valgren would be two very good signings, but that's it in terms of available Danes.

So they'd have to look further than these two countries. An enlargement of the French contingent would be a relatively easy way, there are bound to be some French riders available who are good enough for the WT. Otherwise there's BeNeLux to look at, the rest of Scandinavia, plus Austria and Switzerland.
     1. Wegmann, Guldhammer, Kamp, even Ciolek and Gerdemann to a degree
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 172
    « Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 16:07 »
    I am very glad that the team survived.

I don't really see how they have a short term route to the WT or even to GT invites though unless there is a huge injection of cash. They are somewhat unfortunate to have Bora-Argon18 ahead of them in the queue as well - and that is already quite a well established and seemingly well resourced and stable team, so more attractive to both GT organisers and to new sponsors.

GT wildcards look like they will be very hard to come by over the next few years. There are again four French PCT teams, there are four Italian PCT teams, there's Bora, who now seem to be big enough to pick their GTs. Already that doesn't leave much room for the ambitious teams trying to break into the club, like CCC, Roompot, UHc and now Rusvelo etc. The Vuelta is the only GT that looks like a feasible target for a new PCT team like Stolting or One, and even then it's a bit of a stretch, given how many PCT teams there are and the existence of only two open slots once Caja Rural and Cofidis are counted. In general, I'd guess that the likes of Direct Energie or Bora would be more likely to get a second wildcard.

All of this is based on money remaining the same, obviously. If someone gets a chequebook out, any PCT can buy some big names or just straight up throw money at GT organisers. Or alternatively, Bora could go WT first, which would get Stolting's most obvious rival out of the way.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 16:33 by zinoviev letter »

P.

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 22:58 »
    IF they were to merge with another team, it should be a merger that makes a lot of sense.
    The CULT-Stölting merger was a relatively good match, with two teams focused on talent development. They shouldn't get involved with another team just for the sake of getting into the WT.
    So yeah, we best ignore that wild idea. ;)

It's hard to imagine which riders they could get if they stay in their main markets Germany and Denmark, though:
    The likes of Greipel, Degenkolb, Martin or Kittel will be unattainable.
    That leaves Arndt, Geschke (but why should they want to leave #giant?), Burghardt (but why should he leave #bmc?), Zabel (that might actually work, but I'm not sure his contract is up), Martens (who ought to fit well into the team - if they hadn't already a couple of riders in his mould[1]). And if looking at Thömel or Pascal Ackermann, we're already scraping the bottom of the barrel - those are hardly names to inspire fear in a WT peloton.
    If the Tinkoff team does fold when its backer backs out, Jesper Hansen and Michael Valgren would be two very good signings, but that's it in terms of available Danes.

So they'd have to look further than these two countries. An enlargement of the French contingent would be a relatively easy way, there are bound to be some French riders available who are good enough for the WT. Otherwise there's BeNeLux to look at, the rest of Scandinavia, plus Austria and Switzerland.
     1. Wegmann, Guldhammer, Kamp, even Ciolek and Gerdemann to a degree

I don't think danmark will be a main market for Stölting in future. Why should be? Only chance would be if a danish company will be the co-sponsor of the team but I don't know how the situation is in danmark at the moment.
    From the german side there are some options if they want to go into the world tour ( Knees, Fröhlinger, Gretsch,Thömel, Willwohl, Ackermann, the junior world champions Bokoloh & Appelt)

But   I quite agree that the best    scenario would be that Team Bora goes to World Tour and then Stölting could more wild cards (Germany is still one of the most important markets for race organisers in Europe.

Btw. : What do you think about that rcs did not invite Stölting for MilanSanRemo? I was really sure that they will get a wildcard for this race. Maybe a result of the turbulencee in december? It's really a shame because MilanSanRemo would be definitly the biggest race with the best chances for a great result for the team. A can imagine that Ciolek will be in the first half of the season so strong like his last team change 2013
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 13:01 »
    I don't think danmark will be a main market for Stölting in future. Why should be? Only chance would be if a danish company will be the co-sponsor of the team but I don't know how the situation is in danmark at the moment.
    True. It could be an opportunity for Stölting (the company) to capitalise on the situation and make a venture into Scandinavia, though - building on the visibility brought by the cycling team. ;)

From the german side there are some options if they want to go into the world tour (Knees, Fröhlinger, Gretsch,Thömel, Willwohl, Ackermann, the junior world champions Bokoloh & Appelt)
    Knees and Fröhlinger appear happy in their current teams to me - and I think they'd earn less if they were to switch to Stölting. The others are possibilities, yes.

But I quite agree that the best scenario would be that Team Bora goes to World Tour and then Stölting could more wild cards (Germany is still one of the most important markets for race organisers in Europe.
    Win-win for both parties. :)
    #bora could be ready for WT after this season, if they sign a couple of riders to strengthen and widen their squad. And that would free up the "German wildcard" spot for Stölting.

Btw. : What do you think about that rcs did not invite Stölting for MilanSanRemo? I was really sure that they will get a wildcard for this race. Maybe a result of the turbulencee in december? It's really a shame because MilanSanRemo would be definitly the biggest race with the best chances for a great result for the team. A can imagine that Ciolek will be in the first half of the season so strong like his last team change 2013
    Looking at the 7 teams who did get a wildcard, it's not easy to see which team Stölting should replace:
    #androni were always going to be there, even more so after being overlooked for the Giro.
    #bardiani The same is true for them; an Italian team that's always invited.
    #ccc Have an Italian contingent, and get this as a consolation prize for the missed Giro.
    #cofidis The team of Bouhanni, an obvious choice.
    #southeast Pozzato on an Italian team - another obvious choice.
    #bora They have Sam Bennett who's slowly coming of age as a WT-level sprinter. Still, they're not as obvious a pick as the previous five.
    #novonordisk Obviously not picked for their ability to make the final. On merit alone, Stölting would be better. But:

Money talks ... ;)
  • ReplyReply

• P.

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 18:21 »
    Finally the jersey for 2016

100% in Stölting-style (the company) ;)

Looking at the 7 teams who did get a wildcard, it's not easy to see which team Stölting should replace:
    #androni were always going to be there, even more so after being overlooked for the Giro.
    #bardiani The same is true for them; an Italian team that's always invited.
    #ccc Have an Italian contingent, and get this as a consolation prize for the missed Giro.
    #cofidis The team of Bouhanni, an obvious choice.
    #southeast Pozzato on an Italian team - another obvious choice.
    #bora They have Sam Bennett who's slowly coming of age as a WT-level sprinter. Still, they're not as obvious a pick as the previous five.
    #novonordisk Obviously not picked for their ability to make the final. On merit alone, Stölting would be better. But:

Money talks ... ;)

Cofidis has Bouhanni but I thought a former MSR champion is an better argument. Same with Bennett and Bora. If there is one race in the world where Stölting is able to fight against the big teams it would bei MSR. Besides Ciolek there are Guldhammer, Gerdemann and Wegmann who are able to finish in the first group.

I still think the story with Cult in december could be a reason. Since then there aren't any news about invitations for big races. Before this Qatar and Oman invite them, which are clearly big races for a procontinental team. Also the news that they will start in Tour of Taiwan is not a good signal. This is not really a race for a european PCT team (stölting rode this race last year with the "2nd squad"whilst they were only a continental team.)
    I really hope they will get some good races in the next weeks/ months
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 172
    « Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 20:52 »
    Yes, you are almost certainly right that the sponsor problems and near collapse just at the start of the season put them out of contention for Milan San Remo and for wildcards in the first half of the season in general. And that it won't have done their calendar any favours more broadly. It's a bit of a bad "reward" for the sponsor that actually saved the team, but it's easy to understand. If Stolting had been in a position to put out soft interviews with Ciolek, talking about how much the race would mean to them as a team, buttering up RCS instead of scrambling around trying to avert a very public collapse, they'd have been at least in the reckoning.

I'm not sure that they'd have been chosen (new team versus established ones, "yesterdays man" versus up and coming sprinters, etc) but they do have a reasonably recent winner on their books and that often does count for a lot.

I agree that it's key that they nail down slots in good races asap. If they don't get into reasonably high profile races, they can't produce performances in the first half of the season that would earn them invites for the second half.
  • ReplyReply

•