collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10711
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: 2017 Tour de France general discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 11:27 »
Should suit Purito with so little ITT. and no TTT. Oh hang on A minute didn't he just retire. Dirty French trick there.

riding 1 more year for #bahrain

only problem is J-Rod is 196 years old
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5771
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 13:08 »
    Should suit Purito with so little ITT. and no TTT. Oh hang on A minute didn't he just retire. Dirty French trick there.
    And then he de-retired. :S

Seriously, 36 km of ITT in a GT?!
    That used to be the distance for the short ITT - on top of that there also used to be a long ITT and a TTT and/or prologue.
    A GT should be about the best rider in a variety of races and terrains, not about the best climber only.
    Meh.

Some of the mountain stages, however, look quite good. Mont du Chat ... :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 10:55 »
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    • Liked: 649
    Tour de France 2017
    « Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 01:01 »
    I'm jumpin' the gun here, but the results of the Dauphine have gotten me excited.

WHAT IF!!!  Fuglsang and Aru stay within a minute of the top GC guys for 1.5 to 2 weeks? Man, what a tactical coup for them! They could REALLY use that to beat up everybody else! Fuglsang is widely regarded as a 2nd rank competitor - a monster domestique - but not a GC contender. However, this Dauphine win, plus if he stays high in the GC, means that other GC contender will HAVE to take him seriously. Now, Astana, could just use Fuglsang, just as Sky used Porte, but it could make for some very interesting racing if Astana decided to gamble a bit, and make things a little less predictable.
  • ReplyReply
  • Ubi est ignis

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8988
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Tour de France 2017
    « Reply #34 on: June 13, 2017, 23:16 »
    yes. And for more important news: no Phil & Paul anymore. Not in Australia at least

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2017/06/13/its-australias-year-2017-tour-de-france-july-sbs
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3388
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 01:43 »
    actually Keenan and McKewen are the main guys for the world feed as well.  I think Phil and Paul will still do special comments etc ... but it will mainly be Matt and Robbie   :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 925
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 03:38 »
    Liggett and Sherwen's voices for the other two's words would be perfect. The older duo have two of the best voices for commentary.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 23:36 »
    Liggett and Sherwen's voices for the other two's words would be perfect. The older duo have two of the best voices for commentary.

Hmmmm. Do they? I don't know. If Phil and Paul weren't repeating the same things they said 30 years ago[1], I wouldn't mind them. I've heard worse. I suppose their voices are better than Magnus, but I like Magnus's commentary. Carlton Kirby has a good voice, I suppose, but he does get to be a bit much sometimes. Still, he is less repetitive than Phil and Paul. Flecha and Lemond are fun, sometimes, and sometimes kinda less than fun. But they aren't doing the race commentary. P&P are better than Bob Roll. I do like Roll for his historic first hand knowledge of the peloton, as an American. But that is a bias on my part.

So who else's name do I know who comments? Sean Kelly. I like him being there. ES has a couple of other commentators who do the lesser races - I don't know their names. They don't have the voice quality, perhaps, but their knowledge of racing is superior, and that make all the difference.

But I don't think any of them have a bad voice. Maybe its just not something I pay that much attention to. Interesting comment, though.
     1. Not to mention Phil's support for LA, which I found rather unconscionable. But that was the straw that broke the camel's back, not the load underneath.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 925
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #38 on: June 16, 2017, 05:46 »
    Yeah, IMO it's not what comes out of their mouths as how it comes out. The what part is clearly not good these days. But it's calm, almost soothing, clear, and they can get excited without ever going OTT. I think they're perfect for spasmodic viewers who have an idea about what's going on but don't get bothered by details of helpers and other teammates etc.

From a personal standpoint Kelly is the worst as his speech is just not clear (not about the Irish accent, just his I can't comprehend) and I don't want to concentrate to listen. What he says is clearly decent. How he says it is, IMO, awful.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #39 on: June 16, 2017, 14:56 »
    . . .

From a personal standpoint Kelly is the worst as his speech is just not clear (not about the Irish accent, just his I can't comprehend) and I don't want to concentrate to listen. What he says is clearly decent. How he says it is, IMO, awful.

Aye, Kelly's accent is pretty strong! That would definitely be a matter of taste - liking it or not. I enjoy it, but I can understand finding it a drawback. The guys on Velocast are like that for me - I'd like to listen to them, but I find them very difficult to understand. Kelly, I think, also has age showing up in his voice. I could be mistaken on this, but it sounds to me like his voice is deteriorating. Just like other parts of our bodies, some peoples' voices tend to deteriorate sooner than others.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #40 on: June 17, 2017, 03:46 »
    Oy, oy!  Pay attention now!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-tackles-col-dizoard-in-tour-de-france-recon-news-shorts

Now, I know there is SOME recon that goes on, but it has always seemed to me that there is less recon than there ought to be. On occasion, Contador has been seen doing extensive recon. Lancey boy used to do recon - and it seemed like he was doing more of it than other top GC hopefuls.

So, now somebody needs to do a shoutout to Porte to GO DO RECONS! It might make all the difference!

On the flip side, Froomey could just be doing more head games. He seems to be pretty good at that.

Besides Porte, who else stands a real chance for the top step of the podium? Quintana? We've put hopes on him several times now, and he just has not come thru with the goods.

If Aru and Fuglsang play their cards right, they could be a real disruptive influence, and one could be on the podium, but I don't see them taking the Tour's top step. Contador, I wish he could, but he just hasn't had that same sparkle since the clenbuterol-gate controversy. Bardet - might make the podium. Nibali? Is he riding the Tour this year? Meh, I think he will do well to stay in the top 5 on day 21.

At this moment, I'm seeing a Froome/Porte showdown, and nobody else quite in the same category. HOWEVER, a little luck here or there in the first week or two could change the equations mightily. Certainly has happened that way before.

Eh, maybe somebody will surprise me. Given the caliber of racing we have seen so far this year, the Tour could be a thriller - or it could be a 3 week snooze fest. I'm betting on a lot of snooze with a little dab of thrill tossed in. Looking forward to La Vuelta and Il Lombardia.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #41 on: June 17, 2017, 07:40 »
    test
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #42 on: June 17, 2017, 08:54 »
    I'm seeing a Froome/Porte showdown, and nobody else quite in the same category.
    Porte? Snort.
    He's just not a GT rider for me, sorry. He may prove me wrong this year - but until he does, I don't see it.

Think it'll be a snoozefest this year, pretty much.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #43 on: June 17, 2017, 14:25 »
    Porte? Snort.
    He's just not a GT rider for me, sorry. He may prove me wrong this year - but until he does, I don't see it.

Think it'll be a snoozefest this year, pretty much.
    :lol :lol :lol :cool

I've got a LOT of that very same thinking in my head! I am hoping, however. Porte didn't DNF the Dauphine, and maybe he learned a lesson there.

The excitement could all come from the 2nd and 3rd steps, like it was for Nibali's win, with Peraud and Pinot.

There is one small wild card. I don't think I recall any other years where descending skills played such a big role as they have this year. We have had a couple of stage wins based on descending skills in the past, but not overall GC placements.[1] I hear it could be a factor for this year's Tour. Which (unfortunately, in my book) gives Froome an edge, based on the way he's been descending last year and this. But it could also give somebody else an opportunity. Is Nibali riding the tour this year?
     1. As I recall. I'm sure somebody will come up with an exception or a few that I'm not recalling. :0
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 14:37 »
    :lol :lol :lol :cool

I've got a LOT of that very same thinking in my head! I am hoping, however. Porte didn't DNF the Dauphine, and maybe he learned a lesson there.
    Oh, sure, he has a string of very good results from WT stage races this year. But there's a difference between one week and three.
    Porte's best-ever GT result was last year's 5th place, and he had just about nothing at all to do with the overall win there (though, to be fair, nobody but Froome had anything to do with the overall win last year).

Is Nibali riding the tour this year?
    Not that I know of. He just finished the Giro, and is down for the Tour de Pologne followed by the Vuelta. Fitting the Tour in there would be a bit much. :D

• ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 14:55 »
    Oh, sure, he has a string of very good results from WT stage races this year. But there's a difference between one week and three.
    Porte's best-ever GT result was last year's 5th place, and he had just about nothing at all to do with the overall win there (though, to be fair, nobody but Froome had anything to do with the overall win last year).
    Not that I know of. He just finished the Giro, and is down for the Tour de Pologne followed by the Vuelta. Fitting the Tour in there would be a bit much. :D
    Ah, yes, that's right! Nibbles DID ride the Giro! Completely slipped my mind!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #46 on: June 17, 2017, 16:41 »

I hate would have could have but take away the mechanical and Porte is 2nd, and this year there is not multiple Mountain stages, so Porte recovery will be aided, Plus Froome 3.0 looks a suspect upgrade

If BMC protect Porte on the 95% of the stages that are non mountain stages He might get win
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3388
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #47 on: June 18, 2017, 01:02 »
    agree with JSG there   

also - Nairo just did the Giro ... but hasnt had much riding otherwise ... and with so little ITT kms he is in with a decent shot here too.

Also some of the 2nd tier riders come into things with the lesser time trialling.  A good day in 1 or 2 mountain stages will be enough for a very good result.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r