Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 4694
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

14m19 back to the peloton and there were definitely some names that made it to the break that could cause some problems.

http://www.nacion.com/deportes/ciclismo/Vuelta_a_Costa_Rica-Nicolas_Paredes-Strongman_Campagnolo_0_1603439722.html

Paredes according to La Nacion is the main climber for Strongman who also had Caicedo (the PanAm RR Champ) in the group at ~1m.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8839
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    the Russian there is #gm Balykin, isn't it? Not a bad rider as well, although not really a mountain goat
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

http://www.nacion.com/deportes/ciclismo/Vuelta_a_Costa_Rica-Cesar_Rojas_0_1603639687.html

A hilly finish to today's stage enabled the big names to claw back some time. Rojas x 2, Villalobos and Chavarria were the main players (Gregory getting some mentions, but not quite the level of those four) and the Beans used their numbers advantage to get the stage win.

the Russian there is #gm Balykin, isn't it? Not a bad rider as well, although not really a mountain goat

Unfortunately it looks like he's already lost all of the advantage he gained yesterday.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    It's been a bit lacking in real drama so far the ol' Vuelta......

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    Oh yeah, Bryan Salas from Scott - Tele Uno won the stage.

No changes in the GC as far as I can see.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    Inside the final 10km of today's stage.

Chavarria is the one that's been dropped.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

He did it! Looks like Cesar was on the same time as Roman with Juan Carlos losing a little bit. Maybe it's time for little brother to shine.

Jara finally lost his grip on the leader's jersey with Mudarra taking over. Varela and Paredes are still in the mix as well, while the big three closed the gap down to a more managable six-ish minutes.

TT tomorrow.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 20:01 by Leadbelly »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

#2 win for Villalobos.

The Beans showing their strength in depth with four riders in the top-ten. Villalobos is for sure the strongest, but thats's no guarantee he'll win.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    Unfortunately the site went down one stage too early, as it turned out that #7 was the crucial day.

Here's the Rojas brothers showing the Schlecks how it should be done with Villalobos being put through the blender.

https://www.facebook.com/crciclismo/videos/vb.276067275737025/1403463542997387/

JC Rojas was in virtual yellow on this stage at one point. Thankfully he got caught (almost).

Canels can't be too disappointed. 4 stage wins, third on the GC and Villalobos winning both the KoM and Points jerseys.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 816
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    Something that always strikes me when reading this thread (only because I spend my life researching the country and have spent a fair bit of time there) is the complete absence of Peruvians on the Americas tour.

Ok, so the country has many obstacles to overcome in terms of funding the development of a sport such as cycling, and can never compete with Argentina or Brazil.

But surely Peru is in a similar position to its Andean neighbours, arguably better placed then Bolivia and Venezuela, to have a Conti or national team in some of these races. Yet I can't say I've ever seen even a single rider mentioned.

Maybe it's cultural, maybe not. I know there's a Peru national federation but it doesn't seem to do much.

Anyone have any idea? Can anyone name any Peruvian cyclists, past or present?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5719
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Anyone have any idea? Can anyone name any Peruvian cyclists, past or present?
    There used to be a 10-day Tour de Perú stage race, don't know if it still exists. I think not, it's not of the national fed's website at least.

In any case, it never had UCI status, and I only know of it because it was included in some PCM databases. The race included a stage going from Arequipa (~2300 m) to some place at the Pacific coast. Maybe 120 km, all downhill! :D :cool
    One of the easiest stages to win in PCM, you just had to take your best downhiller and go on 99% all the way - you'd win by a couple of minutes. :lol :schleck
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    There have been some that have ridden for the CMC, but they don't seem to have made any upward steps after leaving that.

César Enrique Gárate Guarniz
    Royner Grover Navarro Calle

Navarro had a top-ten in the Vuelta a Bolivia, but that was still over forty minutes down on the winner!

As to why it's not popular, I don't know. In the time that you have spent there did you see many ordinary people out riding their bikes?
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    Re: Misc. American Tour Races 2016
    « Reply #463 on: January 25, 2017, 19:13 »
    There used to be a 10-day Tour de Perú stage race, don't know if it still exists. I think not, it's not of the national fed's website at least.

In any case, it never had UCI status, and I only know of it because it was included in some PCM databases. The race included a stage going from Arequipa (~2300 m) to some place at the Pacific coast. Maybe 120 km, all downhill! :D :cool
    One of the easiest stages to win in PCM, you just had to take your best downhiller and go on 99% all the way - you'd win by a couple of minutes. :lol :schleck

Haha, that's good to know. I used to have a tactic on PCM when I'd race up the penultimate climb with a good descender who would then somehow bomb down the descent while completely recovering ready to win on the final climb. Won me the Giro with Hesjedal and Fuglsang.

The race sounds cool though. Part of the reason my interest was piqued was thinking about what a tour of Peru would look like, Arequipa itself is dominated by Volcán Misti and a few other volcanoes so would definitely be scenic.

I'm guessing the stage went to Tacna or Ica maybe, if not back to Lima. I've done a similar descent on the overnight bus before, very windy and not very well kept roads. Terrifying.

There have been some that have ridden for the CMC, but they don't seem to have made any upward steps after leaving that.

César Enrique Gárate Guarniz
    Royner Grover Navarro Calle

Navarro had a top-ten in the Vuelta a Bolivia, but that was still over forty minutes down on the winner!

As to why it's not popular, I don't know. In the time that you have spent there did you see many ordinary people out riding their bikes?

Is the CMC the same as the Campeonato Panamericano de Ruta?
    I noticed three Peruvians were DNF last year at that race, including the 2015 road champ Alain Quispe and Hugo Ruíz who had podiums at the 2015 road nats RR and ITT.

I'll keep an eye out throughout the year to see if any crop up anywhere, and may well do some more detailed research in another thread.

There are plenty of reasons it might not be a sport which is very feasible to develop in Peru, I just don't see why road cycling seems to have a degree of popularity in even Bolivia and Peruvians are so absent.

Around some of the better off suburbs and universities, yes there were people riding bikes and some of Lima's main roads even had cycle paths down the middle. On the 500th anniversary of Lima's founding there also appeared to be a criterium around the city centre (unfortunately missed that and only saw a couple of photos afterwards, I might try and find them). There are also loads of cycling tours advertised going out from Lima up and down the coast.

Generally speaking the road and air quality is pretty bad across the country, and petrol is cheap and accessible, so maybe they reduce the impetus for some kind of general cycling culture to develop. Other than that I don't know, but I may well look into it further.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #464 on: January 25, 2017, 19:35 »
    CMC is the Centre Mondial du Cyclisme. UCI thingy which gives training to talented riders in various disciplines from countries with a lesser cycling pedigree. In the case of road, they also have a club team which participates in some races around Europe.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #465 on: January 26, 2017, 11:14 »
    Haha, that's good to know. I used to have a tactic on PCM when I'd race up the penultimate climb with a good descender who would then somehow bomb down the descent while completely recovering ready to win on the final climb. Won me the Giro with Hesjedal and Fuglsang.
    I used that same tactic to win the Tour de l'Avenir.
    Another race that was dead easy to win was Qinghai with its long, but not especially steep climbs: Take the front with all your riders, expending the weak climbers first, and just never let up for 20-30 km. Won all stages but 2-3, and got a 1-2-3-4-5 on GC. :D

I'm guessing the stage went to Tacna or Ica maybe, if not back to Lima. I've done a similar descent on the overnight bus before, very windy and not very well kept roads. Terrifying.
    It was certainly not all the way to Lima. That's 1000+ km! Nor to Tacna (300+ km) or Ica (700+ km).
    No, it was simply down the road from Arequipa to the coast, finishing in whatever town lies there. Stage distance around 120 km.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    « Reply #466 on: January 26, 2017, 11:19 »
    It was certainly not all the way to Lima. That's 1000+ km! Nor to Tacna (300+ km) or Ica (700+ km).
    No, it was simply down the road from Arequipa to the coast, finishing in whatever town lies there. Stage distance around 120 km.

Hahaha, yeah good point. Looking at the map I think I was confusing Arequipa with Ayacucho, which is also where I got the bus from, but even then it's way further to the coast then I realised.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    « Reply #467 on: January 30, 2017, 18:57 »
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #469 on: January 31, 2017, 12:34 »
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #470 on: February 11, 2017, 20:28 »
    Any chance of this thread being stuck in the 2016 archive?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #471 on: February 11, 2017, 21:01 »
    Any chance of this thread being stuck in the 2016 archive?
    I guess there is a chance, yeah. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #472 on: February 11, 2017, 21:19 »
    I was going to like that, but that doesn't look possible to do in the archive.
  • ReplyReply

•