• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5652
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
U23 news, results, rumours and all that jazz in 2016
« on: January 23, 2016, 09:25 »
There was plenty of jaw-jaw about U23 racing last year, so here's a spanking new thread to prove that we at VR truly have our fingers on the knob of youth ...
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    First up are the U23 Asian titles.

TT first and a resounding win for Mongolia, for which we don't have a flag afaik:

1. *mn Maral-Erdene Batmunkh 45m 22.00s
    2. *hk Ka Hoo Fung at 47.00s
    3. *jp Masaki Yamamoto at 01m 04.00s

In the RR, we have the first Iranian winner since 2013:

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:54 by LukasCPH »

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2012
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    There was plenty of jaw-jaw about U23 racing last year, so here's a spanking new thread to prove that we at VR truly have our fingers on the knob of youth ...
    Either an ambition I wish to totally disassociate myself from, or an unfortunate consequence of translating idiomatic phrases.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6039
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    TT first and a resounding win for Mongolia, for which we don't have a flag afaik:
    Try harder, Laz. It's *mn mn, not mg. :P

Also, here's the full U23 ITT result:
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    As a recent article in DirectVelo points out, much of the very best of *be youth talent in recent years is now in the professional ranks.

In 2016, six more launched their careers:

#etixx

Laurens De Plus

#topsport

Ruben Pols
    Aimé De Gendt
    Kenneth Van Rooy
    Maxime Farazijn
    Dries Van Gestel

So who's left and who should we be looking at this season? Belgian U23 boss JP Dubois lists these names...

Classics:

These guys could all have turned pro already, so they have some work still to do.

#bmc Devo Nathan Van Hooydonck
    #seg Jenthe Biermans
    #etixx U23 Benjamin Declercq

Sprinters:

Lots of talent here, ripe for the Qatar Worlds.

#lotto U23 Enzo Wouters
    #lotto U23 Milan Menten
    #etixx U23 Dennis Deltombe
    #colorcode Charlie Arimont

Climbers:

Not too much to talk about here but a couple of good names.

#lotto U23 Steff Craes
    #etixx U23 Jacob Relaes

http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/48823-les-espoirs-belges-a-surveiller-en-2016.html (FR)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:05 by L'arri »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5177
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    In a similar vein, but with a lean to mainly French riders, Velo-Club have been doing interviews with the "Les Champions de demain".

http://www.velo-club.net/route/continentales/continentales-news/109200-recap-les-champions-de-demain

*fr

Felix Pouilly
    Aurélien Paret-Peintre
    Leo Vincent
    Clément Betouigt-Suire

*ru

Pavel Sivakov

*it

Filippo Ganna
    Edoardo Affini

*be

Bjorg Lambrecht
    Thomas Vereecken

*at

Felix Gall

*za

Keagan Girdlestone
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    As the new season opens, #ag2r feeder team Chambéry Cyclisme Fondation faces a tough time matching a singular 2015, in which it racked up a record breaking 29 wins.

"Things should continue much like last year," predicts team manager Loïc Varnet, "the youngest guys have progressed well and the core of the team is still the same."

When asked what would constitute a successful season, Varnet's response manages to be both sensible and surprising:

"First and foremost that every rider passes his exams. It's important for us. In three out of the last four years, every rider has passed them."

"On a sporting level," he continues, "we need to be setting ourselves up for the win every time and then try to pull it off. And we need to help some of the guys turn pro. That's our vocation ... So we're about putting together the right conditions for success both on and off the bike.

"Unlike other teams, we don't head south for training camps. Our riders train in Chambéry and sometimes it snows. But the good thing about youngsters is that they stay motivated even in bad weather. Team spirit is high again this year and that's good to see. The second half of the winter was really positive. They worked hard, did some 'cross and, when the track in Grénoble reopened, some of that too. In the last five weeks, they've basically ground out the kilometres. They followed the programme and there haven't been any problems. I'm not going to be worried about them when the racing kicks off."

http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/48919-chambery-cf-dans-la-continuite-de-2015.html (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Now here's something you don't see every day.

On Stage 2 of the Circuit des Plages Vendéennes, Direct Energie feeder team Vendée-U was under pressure to perform on local turf, so it put together a breakaway ...

... and took out the entire Top 10.

Channelling Gewiss or just trolling the race? :lol :lol :lol

http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/48984-circuit-des-plages-vendeennes-ep-2-classement.html (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2012
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    Now here's something you don't see every day.

On Stage 2 of the Circuit des Plages Vendéennes, Direct Energie feeder team Vendée-U was under pressure to perform on local turf, so it put together a breakaway ...

... and took out the entire Top 10.

Channelling Gewiss or just trolling the race? :lol :lol :lol

http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/48984-circuit-des-plages-vendeennes-ep-2-classement.html (FR)

I didn't know there were races allowing 10 man teams.

Are you sure it wasn't a TTT?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    I didn't know there were races allowing 10 man teams.

Are you sure it wasn't a TTT?

I think at this level you can just enter with any numbers. There were also two other Vendée U riders in 76th and 78th place.

In any case, it's a crazy result. Almost impossible at senior level due to the rules, Nat Champs being an exception. IIRC in last year's Belgian Nats, #topsport started with all 24 riders.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Vendée-U continued its remarkable domination today of the Circuit des Plages Vendéennes with places 1, 3, 4 and 7 out of the top 10 on Stage 3. Stage winner Simon Sellier is now the overall leader on GC, which itself features Vendée-U riders in places 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10, while there are three stages left in the race.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Just thought you might like to know that Vendée-U did let some other riders have a go.

In the end, the Circuit des Plages Vendéennes was won by Vendée-U's Charles Herbert from Kevins Le Cunff of Auber93 and Fouache of Creuse Oxygène.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Just thought you might like to know that Vendée-U did let some other riders have a go.
    They did still take the win, mind. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    IIRC in last year's Belgian Nats, #topsport started with all 24 riders.

You have to give them credit, though... it worked.

I wonder how many of this apparent Vendée-U supersquad will ever make it at the top level. Having good young riders is one thing, but turning them into the next Coquard, Pinot or - dare I say - Voeckler is a whole other challenge.

And given recent comments from JV about Pierre Rolland, I'm not sure it's going to be quite the conveyor belt they would like.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    You have to give them credit, though... it worked.

I wonder how many of this apparent Vendée-U supersquad will ever make it at the top level. Having good young riders is one thing, but turning them into the next Coquard, Pinot or - dare I say - Voeckler is a whole other challenge.

And given recent comments from JV about Pierre Rolland, I'm not sure it's going to be quite the conveyor belt they would like.

I was there and the race was more a question of how Roelandts lost than how Van Hecke won. ;)

Yeah, not many of them, one would suppose. As has been pointed out recently by Jimmy Casper, youngsters don't want to ride as a team because it means they're less likely to get noticed.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    I was there and the race was more a question of how Roelandts lost than how Van Hecke won. ;)

Don't go using reality as a counter-argument, Larri  :P :lol

Yeah, not many of them, one would suppose. As has been pointed out recently by Jimmy Casper, youngsters don't want to ride as a team because it means they're less likely to get noticed.

Unfortunately, working as part of a team is - with very few exceptions - what new, young pros would have to do. An interesting conundrum. Glad that I'm a) not good enough to be a pro cyclist[1] and b) too old to be a neo-pro.
     1. Although I will happily discuss my VO2max if anyone wants to
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Don't go using reality as a counter-argument, Larri  :P :lol

Unfortunately, working as part of a team is - with very few exceptions - what new, young pros would have to do. An interesting conundrum. Glad that I'm a) not good enough to be a pro cyclist[1] and b) too old to be a neo-pro.
     1. Although I will happily discuss my VO2max if anyone wants to

Kids tend to ride for themselves with all but the rarest exceptions, such as when representing their country. That's why a neo pro has a lot of learning to do. The French produce some of the very best young cyclists in the world but the challenge is to keep them stepping up year after year and to keep them at work in mind and body but, until fairly recently at least, that was proving difficult for French pro teams.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Another name to watch. Chambéry Cyclisme Fondation, also known as the feeder team for #ag2r, welcomes a Dutchman this year in the form of Jaap De Jong.

De Jong, until recently a trainee chef, claims that the only French words he knew on arrival were "bonjour" and "bon appétit". He was surprised at how seriously his French teammates took their dietary intake: "I get the impression it's an obsession here", he says.

Unlike most other members of the Chambéry CF, De Jong is a big rouleur and, at 194cm tall, he hopes to excel in TTs and get a result at the U23 Paris-Roubaix.

http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/49410/jaap-de-jong-un-petit-reve-d-etre-ici (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    De Jong, until recently a trainee chef, claims that the only French words he knew on arrival were "bonjour" and "bon appétit". He was surprised at how seriously his French teammates took their dietary intake: "I get the impression it's an obsession here", he says.
    In which way does he mean this?
    Do they weigh every piece of bread they're eating, or are they gourmets who enjoy meals that are far from the usual 'omelet, pasta, chicken' staple of cyclists?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    In which way does he mean this?
    Do they weigh every piece of bread they're eating, or are they gourmets who enjoy meals that are far from the usual 'omelet, pasta, chicken' staple of cyclists?

The former. A bit worrying, really. :(
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    The former. A bit worrying, really. :(
    Yes. They're French, goddammit! :(
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    A brief round-up of various tidbits from what is still the most interesting U23 beat in European racing. I am, of course, talking about France.

La Durtorccha

Last weekend saw the climbers' classic La Durtorccha, which takes place in the Puy de Dôme area, and U23 hotshot Nans Peters of Chambéry CF upset Team Pro Immo Nicolas Roux on the latter's home turf.

With what might have been a touch of false modesty Peters, who's expected to turn pro later this year with #ag2r, said that he didn't want to leave the amateur peloton without a big win at senior level.

Peters is a rouleur but still managed to pull off that win by going solo, crossing the line with over a minute's advantage on a small group. The sprint for second went to Pro Immo's Sylvain Georges who's now in his second season at the local team since returning from his #ag2r doping suspension.

La Bernaudeau Junior

Strictly speaking, the #direct boss' titular race is sub-U23 but it deserves a special mention for its importance in the season of many a youngster. At 130km, it's a tough test for any aspiring youth, and there was another trophy at the finish for the Turgis family cabinet.

Echoes has been banging on about the three brothers for a few seasons already and Tanguy is the youngest at 17. So he was the winner in the Vendée out of a field that included Richmond Worlds runner-up Clément Bétouigt-Suire (6th).

Culled from a few bits and pieces on directvelo.com
  • ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 52

this starts in 2 days!
    I just did a reconnaissance of the local laps of the 2nd day and damn it'll be hard
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Craig1985

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    I just did a reconnaissance of the local laps of the 2nd day and damn it'll be hard
    Bonne chance Michiel! :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1422
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    Mens U23 Nations Cup

Thought I'd try and keep track of the results over here.

Calendar of Events 2016
    Race Date Category
    Gent-Wevelgem/Kattekoers 27th March 1.NC
    Ronde van Vlaanderen Beloften 9th April 1.NC
    ZLM Roompot Tour 15th-16th April 2.NC
    Course de la Paix 3rd to 5th June 2.NC
    Coppa dei Laghi - Trofeo Almar 31st July 1.NC
    Tour de L'Avenir 20th to 27th August 2.NC

Results so far....
    Gent-Wevelgem / Kattekoers

Pedersen on a rich vein of form. I tweeted this one, I'll spare you the details suffice to say I was a tad happy.

https://twitter.com/ArmandIDK/status/714624144139091968

All 7 races happened on the same day which produced this very cool podium

Ronde Van Vlaanderen Beloften

Super win by Slovenia's David Per who'd just missed the podium at Kattekoers

ZLM Roompot Tour
    3 stages over 2 days. Kicks off this morning with a TTT - 23km around Tholen.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain

ZLM Roompot Tour

Echelons ahoy!!
    I LOVE this race.
    It's well covered for social media and there will be a TV highlights package via Omroep Zeeland Sport iirc

Website
    Startlist
    race twitter
    Live Ticker from Direct Velo
    Omroep ZeelandTV/Radio

Stage 1, TTT, 23km
    Technical, pan flat and windy

Results (Top 3)
    Place
    Place Team Time
    1 Norway 27:46
    2 France 27:53
    3 Denmark 27:59
    Full results here

Norway win the TTT, Amund Jansen Grondahl wears the leaders jersey
    https://twitter.com/omroepzldsport/status/720911254450282496

The top three were the only teams under 28mins. GB team was expected to challenge, but unfortunately Cullaigh fell on the course, hope he's OK. The Danes lost Mads Pedersen early on...
    https://twitter.com/MadsWurtz/status/720910670364065792

Video for TTT

Stage 2, Kamperland to Zierikzee, 124k
    Kicks off at 16.00 CET

Neeltje-Jans!! I don't think I need to say anything more  :cool

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 16:49 by Not My Circus »

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    ZLM Roompot Tour

Stage 2, Kamperland to Zierikzee, 124k
    Oh my what a stage. Wet, windy and chaotic. Peloton split into pieces and reforming all the time. Constant attacks as the wind veered direction. Hard, attritional racing and the crashes to go with it. Team Norway never looked in real trouble and protected their leader all the way. It all came together for a bunch sprint at the end. Sounded like a nasty crash going into the final corner at 200m, there was a rider down for a long time and I'm not sure who that was.

Sprint take  by Fabio Jakobsen from the Netherlands from Simone Consonni of Italy and Ivan Garcia Cortina of Spain.

Lead still held by Amund Grundhal

Not sure why there is no 6th place ??

19 x DNF (incl Mads Pedersen)  and 2 x DNS  :(

Images from Race Facebook

Stage 3, Goes to Goes, 177.2k

• ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    Video and write up from stage 2... looked a yuck day on a bike

https://twitter.com/omroepzldsport/status/721074791097233410
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    U23 Liège - Bastogne - Liège
    Sat 16th

Race Website

Route

details here

Climbs

Startlist
    https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/721240933191303168

2015 results
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Recent Posts