collapse

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6788
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
DJW tipped him already upthread but perhaps Remco Evenepoel shouldn't even qualify for mention on this thread. :D

OK, so he is under 23, but the lad has only just turned 18. The kid is so talented, #axeon has bagged him already for 2019.

Last weekend we had the junior Nats here in Belgium at the Lac de l'Heure and he added the RR to his TT title from the beginning of the month, soloing to the line over four and a half minutes ahead of second place.

What makes Evenepoel remarkable is that he was as recently as April 2017 a youth footballer for RSC Anderlecht having come over from PSV Eindhoven's kids team. His father Patrick was briefly a pro cyclist in the 90s.

Evenepoel also finds himself in a very unique situation: he has a choice of stagiaire options. Does he go early to #axeon for a foretaste of next season or does he make a near-unprecedented jump straight to #quickstep for the late season? The latter will require Merckx Jr's help anyway, since UCI rules require a rider to be at the U23 level to do a stage.

Anyway the young Belgian told DirectVelo that he would have to accept one of the offers because "I reckon there isn't much to learn for me at the national and international Junior level. Given my weight and watts, I should be able to stick with the U23s on the climbs. It would be nice to be a World Champion but it wouldn't do much for my career progression."

Indeed.

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/66530/remco-evenepoel-plus-grand-chose-a-prouver-chez-les-juniors (FR)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:50 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni