collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7563
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Evenepoel also finds himself in a very unique situation: he has a choice of stagiaire options. Does he go early to #axeon for a foretaste of next season or does he make a near-unprecedented jump straight to #quickstep for the late season? The latter will require Merckx Jr's help anyway, since UCI rules require a rider to be at the U23 level to do a stage.

Anyway the young Belgian told DirectVelo that he would have to accept one of the offers because "I reckon there isn't much to learn for me at the national and international Junior level. Given my weight and watts, I should be able to stick with the U23s on the climbs. It would be nice to be a World Champion but it wouldn't do much for my career progression."
Is it possible at all for a junior rider to become stagiaire with a pro team?
I would have thought that the barrier between juniors (who race against other juniors) and U23 (who race against other U23, but also against elite) is pretty strict.

I certainly can't remember any previous case of a junior doing a stint as stagiaire, no matter how talented they were.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Recent Posts

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2019, 19:09]

Re: Race news 2020 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2019, 18:20]

Re: Team Sponsorship 19/20 by search
    [December 12, 2019, 10:04]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [December 12, 2019, 08:10]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by al_pacino
    [December 11, 2019, 22:01]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by search
    [December 11, 2019, 17:46]