collapse

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6787
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Since there's talk of #quickstep being in dire straits financially practically every year:
What is the word on the Belgian cycling grapevine on Lefevere's team still being around in 2021 (when they would pick up Remco after two years with Merckx jr.)?

Honestly, I think most of it is hubris. Not just because Lefevere has the winningest team in the WT, but moreso because you have to look at who he is. In the media he is cautious, critical and frequently pessimistic. This Spring was the only time I ever saw him genuinely gleeful and even then he didn't like to make a big show of it.

Something is getting lost in translation though, because however unpleasant he comes across, particularly in the foreign media, few insiders will have anything bad to say about him. He is a shrewd businessman, the likes of whom are quite rare in cycling. I think only Spekenbrink stands out as a similar, younger example. Lefevere can talk to sponsors in their language as an equal and he is a well-known figure along the E17 corridor, where many of Belgium's successful homegrown businesses are based and where most of the money men come from his generation.

All of which is to suggest that it is better to look at his behaviour. Short-termism for Lefevere represents a certain reality in the sport and also a powerful bargaining tool but he is not someone who operates as if his team is about to fold.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Recent Posts

Re: Tour 2020 General Discussion by t-72
    [July 05, 2020, 21:32]

Manuela Foundation the saviour of all things cycling by just some guy
    [July 02, 2020, 19:35]

Re: Tour 2020 General Discussion by AG
    [July 02, 2020, 11:24]

Re: Tour 2020 General Discussion by AG
    [July 02, 2020, 11:22]

Re: Tour 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim