collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6943
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
*ch Lukas Ruegg - a season helping the bigs is beneficial back at this level; favourite Hirschi was third.

*de Max Kanter - bunch sprint won by bunch sprinter: quelle surprise ;)

*lu Pit Leyder - another winner who's been serving time with the bigs.
It's worth noting that these were won in a combined *de *lu *ch race in Unna that, as you say, finished in a bunch sprint.
Would be very interesting to see the 'combined' result.

Going by this photo, the result was:
1 *de Kanter
X *de M. Franz (relegated)
2 *de Rutsch
3 *ch Rüegg
4 *de Grosser
5 *de Gross
6 *ch Froidevaux
as far as I can tell.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6653
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    It's worth noting that these were won in a combined *de *lu *ch race in Unna that, as you say, finished in a bunch sprint.
    Would be very interesting to see the 'combined' result.

Going by this photo, the result was:
    1 *de Kanter
    X *de M. Franz (relegated)
    2 *de Rutsch
    3 *ch Rüegg
    4 *de Grosser
    5 *de Gross
    6 *ch Froidevaux
    as far as I can tell.

Wow, yeah, I hadn't actually noticed that. Very odd. Bit like back in the day when they used to let "foreigners" do the Aussie nats.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Re: U23 news, results, rumours and all that jazz
    « Reply #92 on: September 21, 2018, 12:26 »
    I have been somewhat remiss with this thread lately, especially because one of the goals was to follow some of the names to which we were introduced in Spring right through to stagiaire and/or pro contract.

We left the story just after the Nats but a good while before the final and most important round of the U23 Nations Cup, namely the Tour de l'Avenir. Let's look at the GC palmares since 2010:

2017 - BERNAL Egan
    2016 - GAUDU David
    2015 - SOLER Marc
    2014 - LÓPEZ Miguel Ángel
    2013 - FERNÁNDEZ Rubén
    2012 - BARGUIL Warren
    2011 - CHAVES Esteban
    2010 - QUINTANA Nairo

And here's the top 10 of the very closely fought 2017 edition, showing those who would go on to sign for teams and those who we could expect to see again this year:

1. BERNAL Egan 29:56:33 --> #sky
    2. LAMBRECHT Bjorg at 1:09 --> #tdflotto
    3. EG Niklas at 1:12 --> #trek
    4. HAMILTON Lucas at 1:28 --> #mitchelton
    5. CRAS Steff at 2:03 --> #katusha
    6. SCHLEGEL Michal at 2:06 --> #ccc
    7. FOSS Tobias at 2:11 --> returns in 2018
    8. KNOX James at 2:38 --> #quickstep
    9. STORER Michael at 3:14 --> #sunweb
    10. HINDLEY Jai at 4:10 --> #sunweb

While the time gaps weren't huge on last year's parcours, this time around and in common with the TdF, the riders faced a 36km mountain stage, as well as three stiff Alpine tests of a more normal length.

Many of the "usual suspects" turned up: a strong Colombian contingent now reinforced by the precocious Ivan Sosa, the complete Baby Giro podium of Vlasov, Almeida and Stannard and several hot tips already racing among the bigs including Brandon McNulty, Edward Dunbar, Damien Touze and Fernando Barcelo.

Future sprint king Max Kanter took the opening gallop while Alain Riou scored from the next day's BOTD to put himself in yellow at least until the TTT on Stage 4. Touze took Stage 3 in commanding fashion to continue the home nation's impressive run.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, *dk destroyed the TTT on a short 20km course, putting 13 seconds into nearest rival *be but a solid ride from third-placed *no put Hakon Aalrust into yellow. The stage was particularly tough on  *rw, already down to a duo after four of its riders DNF'd the previous day due to crashes and time limits, but Areruya and Mugisha did enough to stay in the race.

In this most crashy of Avenirs, Aalrust and Kanter both hit the deck and the Norwegian was forced to hand the jersey back to Riou who now held a comfortable cushion over his next nearest rival Andreas Stokbro on GC. Matthew Gibson won the mass sprint.

19-year old #uae recruit Alessandro Covi stole a win from the bunch on Stage 6 with a long BOTD success but the sharp end of the week was afoot and, having been patient on the flat, it was now Sosa's turn to shine on the short mountain stage, outsprinting McNulty - whose victory salute proved premature - and Tadej Pogacar after barely an hour of fierce racing.

At this point, Sosa was too far back on GC to draw closer than 13th overall, which meant that Pogacar, still only 19 and already the winner of this year's Peace Race in this year's Nations Cup, took over with a narrow lead. This set the scene for the stages to follow, with the entire top 10 on GC now inside a minute.

Stage 8 featured a long, rather uneventful approach to the Col de Saisies and, perhaps more importantly, its descent, the bottom of which would bring the peloton within 2km of the uphill finish. Swiss talent Gino Mäder climbed with the leaders but distanced them downhill, hanging on to a fifteen-second gap to take the victory from an élite group in a result that did little to change the overall standings.

The penultimate stage included the major obstacles of Les Arcs and the MTF at Val d'Isère and Fernando Barcelo made his big solo attack on the penultimate climb of the day. Meanwhile, isolated but more than capable of following the moves of the day, Pogacar put a big stamp on GC by attacking with 20km to go. Sosa, who had been riding through illness, could not follow and would lose well over a minute, while McNulty punctured on the final climb and lost almost five. The Slovene leader had Barcelo in his sights as he and Luxembourgeois rival Michel Ries hacked away at the last few kilometres but the the bold Spaniard would hold on for a famous win.

Pogacar could now contemplate the final day, from Val d'Isère to the Col du Glandon, with a comfortable 1:07 margin over Ries but, with the Col de l'Iseran in between, he had every reason to feel trepidation. As it turned out, however, the organisers were forced to shorten the stage due to conditions on the Iseran and so the race started further along the route.

If Pogacar enjoyed any benefit from skipping the Iseran, he would quickly lose it on the descent of the Col de Chaussy, where he mistook a corner and, while narrowly avoiding a crash, found himself dropped by the other contenders. The demon descender Mäder had no such problems and built himself a decent gap, lying thirty seconds on virtual GC before being reeled in with six kilometres to go. Pogacar eventually regained contact and looked on as Mäder, seemingly undaunted by being caught, outsprinted Dunbar for the stage. The Swiss also took third step on the GC podium behind Dutchman Thyman Arensman who had himself ridden a more measured, tactical race.

But it was Pogacar who retained yellow and won the 2018 Tour de l'Avenir. Another #uae signing for next year, given due time and careful coaching, he will surely become a future Grand Tour contender.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 17:20 by LukasCPH, Reason: I guess you wanted to embed the GC, not the team classification ;) »

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #93 on: September 21, 2018, 12:31 »
    More upcoming names here:

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6699
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #94 on: September 24, 2018, 08:14 »
    https://twitter.com/FirstCycling/status/927493606360993792

An interview with the future of Finnish cycling.

The future is now!

Hanninen slew the mighty Taaramachine at the  Tour du Gevaudan Occitanie. Former winners include Guillaume Martin, Pinot and......Rebellin.

Plenty of climbing including two ascents of Montee Jalabert towards the end of the race.

https://www.twd.fi/?x118281=460396

Quote from: Hanninen
    When I looked at the start list, I thought I could be in the 15th place. As the race progressed, I noticed that there are opportunities for the top 10. The point I saw is that there are opportunities for four. And soon I was fighting for the victory of the race. Yes, this is an incredible feeling

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/69531/tour-du-gevaudan-les-reactions

Quote from: Taaramae
    I'm a little disappointed today because I'm beaten by an amateur. But when you know the level of the pros and we know that I'm doing well at the moment, as we saw the weeks spent on great races, I can say that the one who won (Jaakko Hanninen) will be a great champion in the future. He was really impressive.

My feeling is that he'll end up at the new Groupama CT team next year (Jussi has given him help and advice in the past), but performances like this might even have him on the radar of PCT outfits.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow Mikkel BJERG *dk ITT  #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow

Of course it was.

#rainbow #rainbow #rainbow Marc HIRSCHI *ch RR  #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow

Hirschi Bar has been racing toward this result, the U23 World RR title, for two seasons already and with his talent he deserves to be around a lot longer than that dreadful wisp of hair he's been growing on his face.

Still only 20, Marc's not become a prolific winner yet but he can climb, do a more than respectable TT and descend like a stone. And I think, with the sport as it is today, downhilling probably now deserves a bigger spot than ever on the young pro's to-do list.

Compact and light but with a good engine, he is certainly a potential GC package, but it's still hard to say with the U23 calendar still rather dominated by one-day events.

It wasn't all about Hirschi and his compatriots, even if *ch rode like the best team on the day. A lot of other nations showed up for the race, with the notable exception of *co, which really should have done better on this, the ideal parcours. *gb and *fr deserve a mention even if neither got a medal out of it.

Lambrecht was second again but a very strong result for a young man who has been doing the hard yards all year. He has a super fast finish for a lightweight but didn't really have to push it in the finale against Hanninen, who produced an extraordinary, if not entirely unexpected performance after his recent Gevaudan Occitanie result (see above). Sure he was pretty much cooked on the last lap but that he was still there at all is remarkable: like Stake Laengen in the bigs, he's a hefty fellow to be getting over those climbs.

Following up on an excellent summer, Mader was one of the strongest riders in the race and did a great preparatory job for Hirschi. Perhaps the strongest of all was the tenacious Padun, who was caught and dropped after striking out too early but still kept the leaders in sight all the way to the line.

Finally Pogacar, who has achieved arguably the best U23 stage race palmares this year without the kind of support enjoyed by representatives of the big nations, still managed to get a top 10 in a war of attrition that became increasingly tactical.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1451
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    . . .
    Plenty of climbing including two ascents of Montee Jalabert towards the end of the race.
     . . .

Have they given Laurent his own mountain?   :S  :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2403
    • Awards: 2018 Tour de France CQ game winnerGiro Prediction Champ 2017
    Have they given Laurent his own mountain?   :S  :lol

You surprise me that you didn't know that the Côte de la Croix Neuve into Mende was renamed, in time for the Tour's visit there in 2005, the  Montée Laurent Jalabert in honour of his 1995 stage win there.

Usually gets a few mentions any time they climb up to the airport.
    Roadsign pic from French Wiki

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6699
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #98 on: November 12, 2018, 08:54 »
    https://twitter.com/ChrisLeMevel/status/1061712613934018560

http://www.be-celt.com/2018/11/11/royaume-uni-stuart-balfour-cotes-darmor-elu-meilleur-espoir-2018-par-la-dave-rayner-fund/

Yesterday evening in Leeds (England), the Scot Stuart Balfour (Côtes d'Armor Marie Morin Veranda Rideau) was elected by the foundation "  The Dave Rayner Fund ", best British runner hope. The last winner of the Plouay Amateur Grand Prix succeeds Chris Lawless (Team Sky). He also joins, on the laureates' shelf, runners like Dan Martin (UAE Emirates), Adam Yates (Scott Mitchelton), Owain Doull (Team Sky), James Shaw (Lotto Soudal) and Tao Geoghegan Hart (Team Sky) in 2016 , Dan McLay (EF First Education by Drapac) and many others since the very first with David Millar.

Interview with him from a week ago.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: The Academy of Cycling by LukasCPH
    [Today at 19:00]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [Today at 05:44]

Re: Cycling Farmers by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2018, 01:27]

Re: Full Mens Rosters 2019 by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2018, 19:55]

Re: Race news 2019 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2018, 19:48]

Re: Cycling Farmers by Armchair Cyclist
    [November 15, 2018, 17:06]