collapse

Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
  • Liked: 257
  • Awards: best new member of 2016
If you had to give one thing up in cycling...
« on: February 04, 2016, 14:14 »
what would it be....? By this I mean liberties of the road and propose the following examples as a guide

1. te right to ride without a helmet
2. the right to ride unlicensed
3. the right to ride unisured
4. the right to ride in more than single file

If in return you were offered presumed liability of car drivers, would you give one of these or any other freedom or liberty of cycling up. Please let me know along with your reasoning.
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5774
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: If you had to give one thing up in cycling...
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 20:17 »
    Excellent question!

Out of these:
    1. te right to ride without a helmet
    2. the right to ride unlicensed
    3. the right to ride unisured
    4. the right to ride in more than single file
    I would say no. 1: The right to ride without a helmet.

I don't want to get into the whole debate about whether or not helmets work as intended[1], if they decrease or increase injuries and their severity - but to me, helmets aren't a big inconvenience.
    The cost of helmets is something to consider - people who don't have helmets yet would be put off riding a bike. I have a helmet; I just don't wear it for every little 1-km shop run at 16 km/h. If I had to give up one of the 4 rights listed, I'd put the lid on my head every time and be done with it. To me, it's simply the smallest interference with my cycling compared to the others.

The right to ride unlicensed and/or uninsured - that's the whole point of riding bikes. It's easy, every kid can learn it, and you're generally[2] not presenting a danger to your environs. And it's good for your health.
    Driving a car is more complicated than riding a bike, is only allowed from a certain age, and even if you drive carefully, you can seriously injure (or even kill) someone under unfortunate circumstances. Oh, you don't get to exercise either. That's why you need a license to drive, as well as insurance.

My first thought was to give up the right to ride two abreast. But then I thought about it and figured that the ability to chat with your mates on a cycling tour (where you'll likely wear a helmet anyway) is much more important than the ability to ride to the shops without a helmet.
     1. If fitted correctly! So many people out there with helmets that won't do them any good because they're wearing them wrong
     2. unless you're riding like a complete dick
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 295
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 20:44 »
    Slightly OT, but I saw somebody wearing his helmet BACKWARDS earlier this week. Yes, back to front. I tried to say something but the laughter made it too difficult.

In answer, I'd go with insurance, simply because membership of CTC or British Cycling automatically includes insurance. Dead easy to administer and at no significant cost to cyclists. Plus all of us in this country should be a member of one of those organisations! As for kids, I'm sure we can make an exception?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5774
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 20:54 »
    Slightly OT, but I saw somebody wearing his helmet BACKWARDS earlier this week. Yes, back to front. I tried to say something but the laughter made it too difficult.
    I've seen that too in the past. Good grief. :fp
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Road Nats 2017 by Not My Circus
    [Today at 21:00]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by pastronef
    [Today at 20:07]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by cj2002
    [Today at 18:08]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by cj2002
    [Today at 18:01]