pastronef

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 663
Re: Team Bahrain
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 08:35 »
this shuffles the things a lot.

the talks inside the peloton during the next weeks will be thick and fast

Nibali Lampre? meh, big meh

Nibali Trek? I could even begin cheering for him (Nibali with Schleck and Zubeldia as domestiques cheered by the loving Giro crowds, fantastic!)
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2504
    « Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 08:49 »
    Seems crazy - but new teams should be made to start PCT for at least 1 year. Now Nibali is rumored to be looking for other tems the project is dead in the water

If I was a team looking at Nibs I would demand a 2 year deal

Yes that would probably help a lot. It has happened too often in the last couple of years that a big new team is announced and then in the end doesn't happen. In which case a lot of riders and staff are in trouble, while the sponsors may decide to walk away from the project altogether. Starting a year in PCT would ease pressure on immediately building a huge team, while if the team is desparate to start at the highest level they can take over an existing one and build on that (two quitting teams are available with structure and staff - why not use that if you're Bahrein?). The UCI could also maybe do more in guiding potential new teams through the demands and pitfalls of setting it up.

I hope Equipe is wrong on this one, but it sounds quite realistic give the lack of announcements we've had so far. As for Nibali, I too am hoping for Trek now. But I fear he'll instead re-sign for Astana now, as they are probably about the only team that has plenty of money to spare for such a big rider relatively late in the season.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 09:00 »
    but the lack of announcements could just be that they arent actually supposed to announce anything until 1 August ...

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11186
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 11:00 »
    Nibali Trek? I could even begin cheering for him (Nibali with Schleck and Zubeldia as domestiques cheered by the loving Giro crowds, fantastic!)
    Contador already Trek (and Degenkolb too). Don't see them squeezing Nibali in there as well.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 08:44 »

Nibali is confirmed as first signing.

So far, so good - but I find several oddities:
    This was sent out as press release, but not communicated via the team's own channels - not a beep on website, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. The Merida deal PR is on the website, the Nibali PR isn't.

Then, there are a couple of (small, but noticeable) errors in the PR itself:
    "first official confirmed rider" - this sounds awkward. "Officially confirmed" is grammatically correct.
    "the Shark of Strait" - "the Strait", please. Without the article, it's just bad English.
    "Grand Tours" vs. "grand tours" - I don't mind so much whether you capitalise it or not; I do mind very much if you use both spellings within the same sentence. Make up your mind and be consistent!

To me, all this conflicts with Nibali's statement that the team is "to be carried out by some of the best professionals in the sport". In the sport, maybe - but not in communications. :P

And it continues:
    https://twitter.com/Bahrain_Merida/status/760937187265372160
    https://twitter.com/Bahrain_Merida/status/761099490380046337
    Those are the first EVER tweets of the team - hey, maybe they're going for that amiable amateur feeling. Still feels more like something a fan of the team would say, not the team itself.

But how, in the course of two tweets, can you spell "honour"/"honor" the British way in one, and the American way in the next? :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1663
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 11:04 »
    Quickly become the 2nd most unpopular team in cycling and they haven't launched yet!
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 11:20 »

This was sent out as press release, but not communicated via the team's own channels - not a beep on website, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. The Merida deal PR is on the website, the Nibali PR isn't.

"first official confirmed rider" - this sounds awkward. "Officially confirmed" is grammatically correct.
    "the Shark of Strait" - "the Strait", please. Without the article, it's just bad English.
    "Grand Tours" vs. "grand tours" - I don't mind so much whether you capitalise it or not; I do mind very much if you use both spellings within the same sentence. Make up your mind and be consistent!

To me, all this conflicts with Nibali's statement that the team is "to be carried out by some of the best professionals in the sport". In the sport, maybe - but not in communications. :P

And it continues:
    Those are the first EVER tweets of the team - hey, maybe they're going for that amiable amateur feeling. Still feels more like something a fan of the team would say, not the team itself.

But how, in the course of two tweets, can you spell "honour"/"honor" the British way in one, and the American way in the next? :fp

perhaps you can offer your services Lukas  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 11:32 »

And it continues:

I'm glad I'm not the only pedant to be unreasonably annoyed by such things :lol
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #40 on: August 04, 2016, 15:15 »
    Quickly become the 2nd most unpopular team in cycling and they haven't launched yet!

they will never be the 1st, they´ll never win that.

the torturer will never win the award vs braislford.

SDB is the best
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #41 on: August 04, 2016, 15:53 »
    perhaps you can offer your services Lukas  ;)
    No amount of money offered would make me willing to work for this team.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #42 on: August 04, 2016, 16:30 »
    I'm glad I'm not the only pedant to be unreasonably annoyed by such things :lol
    I'm not a pedant!!
    Alright, I am. :D

But is it unreasonable to expect a professional sports team's communication to be free of grammatical errors? This isn't your local amateur club where the club chairman types up something in his spare time - they're paying someone to write these. You would think that it would be important to get the 'hard facts' straight (dates, names, and indeed spelling) before concentrating on the 'soft facts' (all that PR stuff that you fill press releases with).

And, by the way, I forgot an error: "Vuelta Espana" vs. "Vuelta a España".
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 16:50 »
    I'm not a pedant!!
    Alright, I am. :D

But is it unreasonable to expect a professional sports team's communication to be free of grammatical errors? This isn't your local amateur club where the club chairman types up something in his spare time - they're paying someone to write these. You would think that it would be important to get the 'hard facts' straight (dates, names, and indeed spelling) before concentrating on the 'soft facts' (all that PR stuff that you fill press releases with).

And, by the way, I forgot an error: "Vuelta Espana" vs. "Vuelta a España".

I was saying I agree with you. Which makes both of us pedants ;)

Such mistakes would be kind of cute coming from a Procontinental Italian team with a dodgy doping history. From a team that proclaims to be cutting edge, modern, professional, etc etc etc it's just plain annoying - like most things about this team are annoying.

But Vincenzo rides for them, so I guess I'll be supporting them at a number of races regardless.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #44 on: August 04, 2016, 17:43 »
    Such mistakes would be kind of cute coming from a Procontinental Italian team with a dodgy doping history.
    ... that also uses auto-translators for the English versions of their press releases (yes, Lampre, I'm looking at you).
    If you don't pretend to be all slick and up-to-date, it's endearing. Also a bit annoying, but ultimately they say 'we know we can't ignore English, but we're not going to make a big effort'.

To me, Bahrain-Merida more and more resembles not a modern, professional, cutting-edge team but more a bunch of fellows who got together and sold a wagon-load of snake oil a cycling team to an Arab oil sheikh with more money than business acumen.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1663
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #45 on: August 04, 2016, 19:12 »
    ... that also uses auto-translators for the English versions of their press releases (yes, Lampre, I'm looking at you).
    If you don't pretend to be all slick and up-to-date, it's endearing. Also a bit annoying, but ultimately they say 'we know we can't ignore English, but we're not going to make a big effort'.

To me, Bahrain-Merida more and more resembles not a modern, professional, cutting-edge team but more a bunch of fellows who got together and sold a wagon-load of snake oil a cycling team to an Arab oil sheikh with more money than business acumen.

It's country advertising. It'll be funded by the Bahrain marketing budget in order to attract businesses from Europe to locate their ME hub there.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #46 on: August 29, 2016, 23:48 »
    Somebody had too much time on his hands ... ;)

#bahrain Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team jersey mock-ups:

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Trudgin

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 818
    • Contador, Sagan, Purito, Paolini et all
    • Awards: 3rd place after Tour Down Under in Official Prediction Game ;PVelogames Giro Winner 2015
    « Reply #48 on: October 15, 2016, 12:17 »
    I don't know if this thread has merged with another now but I'm going to bring it up to date (sort of)

I have to admit that practically all of my favourites are going to ride here I am going to have to be prepared to be rightly mocked for my searing hypocrisy. So hit me... :cool

20 Riders confirmed:

Rider Flag Contract Team Grade
    Italy
    Valerio Agnoli *it 1 yr #astana WT
    Manuele Boaro *it 1 yr #tinkoff WT
    Niccolo Bonifazio *it 2 yrs #trek WT
    Sonny Colbrelli *it 2 yrs #bardiani PCT
    Enrico Gasparotto *it 2 yrs #wanty PCT
    Vincenzo Nibali *it 1 yr #astana WT
    Giovanni Visconti *it 1 yr #movistar WT
    Spain
    Ivan Garcia Cortina *es 2 yrs #klein CT
    Ion Izagirre *es 2 yrs #movistar WT
    Javier Moreno *es 1 yr #movistar WT
    Slovenia
    Grega Bole *si 2 yrs #nippo PCT
    Borut Bozic *si 2 yrs #cofidis PCT
    Luka Pibernik *si 1 yr #lampre WT
    Australia
    Henrich Haussler *au 2 yrs #iam WT
    Taiwan
    Chun Kai Feng *tw 2 yrs #lampre WT
    Japan
    Yukiya Arashiro *jp 2 yrs #lampre WT
    Belarus
    Kanstantsin Siutsou *by 2 yrs #didata WT
    Lithuania
    Ramunas Navardauskas *lt 2 yrs #cannondale WT
    Ethiopia
    Tsgabu Grmay *et 1 yr #lampre WT
    Czech Republic
    Ondrej Cink *cz 1 yr Merida MTB

The much rumoured Ion Izagirre confirmed this last week, and today new boy Ondrej Cink a Czech mountain biker has been announced as joining.

Of the 20...
    Grade Total 2 years 1 year
    WT 14 7 7
    PCT 4 4 0
    CT 1 1 0
    MTB 1 0 1

Probably still a few to join, I wait for announcements with baited breath
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 13:40 by LukasCPH »
    I love Italian cycling, well cyclists & the odd Spaniard, oh & that 1 particular Slovakian  then there are those with names  that are great fun - zzzdnek steeeebar & Tieeeeeeeesj Benoooot

pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #49 on: October 15, 2016, 13:04 »
    Somebody had too much time on his hands ... ;)

#bahrain Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team jersey mock-ups:

you forgot the SIDI logo  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 3rd place after Tour Down Under in Official Prediction Game ;PVelogames Giro Winner 2015
    « Reply #50 on: October 15, 2016, 13:32 »
    you forgot the SIDI logo  :D
    I thought it was red blue & gold?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #51 on: October 15, 2016, 13:39 »
    20 Riders confirmed:
    Fixed your tables. :)

Probably still a few to join, I wait for announcements with baited breath
    At least three more, they must have a minimum of 23 riders.
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #52 on: October 15, 2016, 14:10 »
    Fixed your tables. :)
    At least three more, they must have a minimum of 23 riders.

Seriously 4 hours trying to get that table :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry

what did you do?  and thanks  :) :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #53 on: October 15, 2016, 14:46 »
    what did you do?
    The vertical columns have to be separated by a comma (or any other symbol that you specify in the CSV code) to show up as separate columns.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #54 on: October 15, 2016, 18:02 »
    I thought it was red blue & gold?
    It's going to be, yes. That was just me having a bit of fun. :)
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #55 on: October 15, 2016, 18:04 »
    The vertical columns have to be separated by a comma (or any other symbol that you specify in the CSV code) to show up as separate columns.

Cheers me dear
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #56 on: November 06, 2016, 10:16 »
    retweeted by Antoine Vayer @festinaboy

Human rights bodies voice concerns to UCI over Bahrain team

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/human-rights-bodies-voice-concerns-to-uci-over-bahrain-team/
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #58 on: January 20, 2017, 19:15 »
    for sure - Bahrain confirmed themselves in English
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain

Recent Posts

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2019, 19:09]

Re: Race news 2020 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2019, 18:20]

Re: Team Sponsorship 19/20 by search
    [December 12, 2019, 10:04]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [December 12, 2019, 08:10]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by al_pacino
    [December 11, 2019, 22:01]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by search
    [December 11, 2019, 17:46]