* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 181
  • Baku Cycling Project
Kirill Pozdnyakov blog
« on: April 14, 2016, 17:55 »
Welcome to something new on Velorooms – a blog from a pro rider, exclusive to our website! We are happy to present Kirill Pozdnyakov of the Synergy Baku Cycling Project. Kirill will write his blog every few weeks or so, and give us an insight into life and racing on the Continental level. Please feel free to comment and ask questions!

Kirill is a 27-year-old Russian now living in Gent, Belgium. He turned pro in 2013 with Synergy Baku, and very successfully. That year he had five wins: stages in the Tour de Taiwan, An Post Ras, Jelejah Malaysia, and the Tour of China 1, taking the overall title in the latter.

He was so successful that his homeland team Rusvelo called him home, so to speak. His two years there didn’t show any significant results, and he happily returned to Synergy Baku this season.

The Synergy Baku Cycling Project is licensed in Azerbaijan, sponsored by the Synergy Group, one of the largest private investment companies in the country.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:11 by just some guy »

Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    Re: Kirill Pozdnyakov
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 17:57 »
    Hi everybody,

My season finally started in "Istrian Spring Trophy”, a four-day stage race in Croatia. The beginning of the season didn’t go the way I had expected. I came down with the flu and had to take antibiotics for 10 days and had to miss the Porec Trophy. My teammate Matej Mugerli won this race, which made me happy because it was our first win and it came so early in the season.

Because of that we arrived at the Istrian Spring Trophy with high morale and a winning spirit. For me, it was my first chance to meet my new teammates, and it turned out to be a great week to race together.

The first day was a prologue and my legs were not good, probably due to the antibiotics and having been off the bike for five days. Matej put in another good performance and in this kind of race, the GC is decided by seconds, so we all helped him. We didn’t win the race, but he won the last stage and finished third overall. For myself, I felt good during the race, except for the prologue, and I was happy how I was feeling on the bike and the work I could do for my team.

Our next race was "Coppi Bartali", which came as a surprised. I had planned to go to altitude training on Tenerife before the Tour of Croatia the end of this month. I didn’t know what to expect from this race, because after Istrian I had gone home to Belgium and in my mind was already in Tenerife :-).  But I was happy to go to the race!

As a team, we decided to try for a stage result, and stages 2 and 4 were hard ones. From the beginning of stage 2, it was very hard because it was constantly up and down, and the temp was very high. At some point the peloton split into groups. After about 50 km, I finally made it into the break group. There were five ranked climbs and once I was in the group, I went for the mountain jersey. I could take the first three and so I could secure the jersey.

The last stage was another hard one and decisive for the GC. I tried to get in the breakaway again, but this time I was marked by the other guys who were close in the mountain ranking. We chased each other for the first 40 km and in the end, the break went away without any of us. I was not feeling bad on the climbs, but on the second to last climb I started to feel the efforts I did at the beginning of the stage. I was dropped from the first group and so lost the jersey.

After the race I was a bit  disappointed and at the same time I wasn’t, as the rider to whom I lost the jersey was riding stronger than me. There was not much I could actually do, except to have been lucky enough to be in the first break or maybe I should have better saved the power from the beginning of the stage ... that is racing, and I took my chance, but it didn’t work out this time. Anyway,it’s a good sign for important upcoming races and again, a good race week.

After that race, I was supposed to go to Tenerife, but unfortunately the hotel was already full with the ProTour teams training for the Giro.  I chose to go to Calpe, Spain, for a last intensive block of training, before the Tour of Croatia and Tour  d'Azerbaidjan. The Tour d’Azerbaidjan would be the most important race for our team so I need to be ready for it, and in my last two weeks of training I have had a lot of intensive hours on my bike.

Right now I feel improvement since my last race and my tests are showing some good numbers of my condition. I hope to turn this into results. Right now I have some days of recovery and then I'm ready to start the Tour of Croatia on April 19.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 19:59 »
    After that race, I was supposed to go to Tenerife, but unfortunately the hotel was already full with the ProTour teams training for the Giro.
    This made me laugh! :lol
    Not so funny for you, of course.

Great to have such a rider blog here on the site, looking forward to the next installments. :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 07:09 »
    Thanks for doing this, In one of the future blogs I was wondering if we could have a training type of blog, who you ride with, why Gent rather than say Spain etc, who sets your training programs what type of stuff you do etc

Good luck in Croatia
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 12:10 »
    Thanks for doing this, In one of the future blogs I was wondering if we could have a training type of blog, who you ride with, why Gent rather than say Spain etc, who sets your training programs what type of stuff you do etc

Good luck in Croatia

Yes, Gent is an interesting choice to me too. If you're racing a lot in France, Belgium and the Netherlands it makes a lot of sense but I haven't seen much of SB over here lately.

However, the Gent area isn't too far from a decent international airport (at least when it isn't affected by strikes and the lunatic fringes); it's also home to several services courses, a significant community of Belgian and expat pro cyclists and a world-class velodrome.

So I think Kirill's choice is simply because he used to ride for RusVelo and they're based in Flanders. As recently as last season, he was riding quite a lot of races here.

I used to enjoy climbing the woody hill on which Ivanov's big white house perches above the town of Diest. The RusVelo team car was often parked outside.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2468
    Re: Kirill Pozdnyakov blog
    « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 22:01 »
    A very interesting read, thanks for taking the time to share with us :)

I agree a training blog would be interesting. And something else I really want to know more about is the contract stuff: how does it work when switching teams or extending contracts? Do teams approach the riders, or do agents 'offer' their riders to teams? When do negotiations take place, and to which degree are you as a rider involved in those negotiations? Do you leave most of it to an agent, or are you actively involved in the whole process? And, for the conspiracy theorists, do contract negotiations for next season affect the current season? Would you be more likely to help out a rider if you knew he would be in your team next year?
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 881
    « Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 01:11 »
    Hmmm - I seem to recall that there is some way to upgrade Kirill from "Couch Potato" to something a bit more select. Am I right? After all, if ever "Couch Potato" didn't fit, this would be a good bet, eh?

Welcome to VR, Kirill!
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 10:37 »
    Hmmm - I seem to recall that there is some way to upgrade Kirill from "Couch Potato" to something a bit more select. Am I right?
    I'm pretty sure that it goes purely by number of posts.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 15:55 »
    A hard day for Kirill in Stage 2 of the Tour of Croatia. He crashed twice, the last time 15km before the finish, so he lost time today. He is ok though, just got a few scratches.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 16:21 »
    A hard day for Kirill in Stage 2 of the Tour of Croatia. He crashed twice, the last time 15km before the finish, so he lost time today. He is ok though, just got a few scratches.
    sending mending vibes.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 17:48 »
    KIRILL AND THE TOUR OF CROATIA

It was a beautiful week of racing in Croatia, we achieved great team results and I enjoyed being part of this success! I remember myself last year when I did the Tour of Croatia and when I compare that to where I am no, I'm really happy. At last my work starts to turn into results and I feel great sensations on my bike again.

I wanted to do well in the general classification.  Before the race I knew I had good condition and my power was good enough to do well. The last two years were very disappointing years for me. but when we hit the first hills I realised that I actually had a good opportunity to fight for a high  GC position.

Unfortunately, I crashed during stage 2 with some other favourites 20 km from the finish and lost 51 seconds. I did all I could to always be in the front of the peloton to avoid all the dangerous moments. At this moment, though being in the front of the group didn't bring me any luck :) For general classification my chances went down but my teammate Matija Kvasina was lucky enough to avoid this crash and to have better cards than me.

Stage 4 was the day to decide who should win this race, with the mountain finish.. In the morning I woke up with the ambition to still fight for my goal that i had before the race. I still had this little chance to get in the breakaway and hope this group would stay away until the climb with some advantage on the main group.

Before the first mountain, the break went away and I was there. There were a lot of attacks and just before the mountain finish, a group of 20 guys came to our group. Not everyone was interested in cooperating and the main peloton was also not far away. I decided to stay calm and wait until the last climb and see what will happen. Then when a few guys attacked I stayed calm and waited until the main group came back. When we all came together, it was already 50-60 guys maybe and Trek Factory took control of the race until the finishing climb.

We started the climb very fast and with a good tempo . Directly from the start i realised today could be my day. I could sit comfortably with the first guys. Tinkoff and CCC were making tempo all the way until 15 km to the top and no one could really get away. My teammate Matija had also good feelings and he was in a better position than me in classification.  I   wanted to try and fight for the stage win, but to gain time back for GC would be hard. But for him it was about taking the jersey this day, so decision was to help him make the best of it and try to win this race with him.

The last 10 km of the climb I rode for him and made the tempo until the last 4km when the climb got steeper and from there it was on him to go for it :) He did great and came 2nd on this stage and also took the leader’s jersey. I was very happy after this stage, we made great efforts and it worked well .

For our small team to perform like this on this level is a huge result and having the opportunity to take a jersey and fight for the overall win is much bigger than a stage win at this point. The day could not end up better than this !

The day after we had maybe the biggest test for us. On paper maybe we weren't contenders but cycling is not only numbers and calculations ;) A team time trial in the rain for 43km is team work. We were the last team to start and just before the start we heard that almost every team had crashed more than once. Technical roads and a lot of roundabouts brought a lot of teams in trouble.

In cycling its all about team work but there only one winner or one team that can pull this success to the end. Every day we try to help each other but even this does not always work -- in the sprint stages someone can help more than another, for example. Earlier some teammates maybe could help more than me in the last kms when it comes to the sprint, but  yesterday I could deliver this work for success on the climb.

But today during the TTT it was Tamo (Ioannis Tamouridis) who made our day successful, his experience was the success for our ride. We rode very carefully in the roundabouts and dosed our power perfectly to finish 4th and keep the race lead.

On the last day we only had to survive local laps with a small cobble hill and make sure that Matija was near the guys who were close to him in GC. All the team did the work perfectly. On the last lap I stayed with Matija to make sure he will not get in troubles, but he did well and no one could be real danger for him. We won Tour of Croatia and enjoyed the moment in Zagreb , for myself i kept 7th place in GC and feel strong.

Next week is a big challenge for our team, the most important race of the year, the Tour d’Azerbaidjan. We are going there with a winning spirit. There is only one winner and a lot can happen. No one can guarantee the victory but from my side I guarantee this fight for the win!
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 06:41 »
    Kirill's next race, of course, will be the Tour d'Azerbaidjan, starting this coming Wednesday. He will be one of the team's two leaders in the race, along with Matej Mugerli.
  • ReplyReply

• irondan

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 8
    « Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 00:25 »
    Cool blog!   :cool

I like what Baku Pro Cycling is doing to promote their riders, seems much more accessable than other pro teams.

I too would enjoy reading blog posts about training and other behind the scenes insight. Hopefully someday.   :D
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 23:07 »

The Tour d’Azerbaidjan is over. We had another good racing week with our team. We came with a strong team and won two stages and the team classification. It was not an easy task to be the home team because some of the other teams were watching us during the race, but we made it without any problem and used our team spirit :) Since I first went to
    Azerbaijan in 2013, the country has changed a lot. Baku is a very beautiful city, with lots of new buildings and the “Formula One" circuit in the centre of the city, just amazing! It was an honour to ride on this road during the last stage of the Tour, you don't race much on roads like this during the year.  Not only in Baku but during the whole race when we hit the countryside, everywhere it was just a pleasure to ride.

The crowds were amazing too, people like cycling there and ride their bikes a lot. Every day you could see a lot of people at the start and finish and during the race on the side of the road. Mostly you only see this in Europe because of cycling culture, but once you go out of Europe there is not always so much public interest in a bike race, but Azerbaijan impressed me! I really enjoyed racing there and visiting this beautiful country. If I would have the opportunity to do "Tour d’Azerbaidjan" again i wouldn't hesitate :)

So the first part of the season is done. If I look and analyse my races , I'm happy with what i have done so far, the condition is there. The Tour of Croatia went good for m , normally it should suit me better and I worked toward this race. When the GC was made I was there and felt goo , this is important for coming races . In Azerbaijan I didn't find a great feeling, different climate zone and allergies made me feel not super good during the race and in general.

One week after Azerbaijan was an easy week for me and now I am starting to work towards the second part of the season, where my head already is. June 7 will be my next race in Slovakia , stage race from 7th until 12th June and after that, another big test at the Tour of Austria. I  hope my evaluation will continue and I willnhave a good result in Austria.
  • ReplyReply

• Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 365
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 10:39 »
    You actually raised something there I was wondering - how difficult is it to be racing in different climates and time zones all the time? Do you get used to it, or is it something that always weighs you down?
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 19:14 »
    (June 9, 2016)  Kirill Pozdnyakov finished second on the Queen Stage of the Tour of Slovakia. After the difficult mountain stage, the Russian riding for the Synergy Baku Cycling Project has moved up to third overall.

Pozdnyakov attacked on the penultimate climb and joined a lead group, with 15 km to go. The group stayed away until the end.

“The team helped me a lot during the stage,” Pozdnyakov said. “Maksym Averin and Samir Jabrayilov made good tempo on the climbs. On the second to last climb I attacked with (eventual winner) Mauro Finetto and we held the gap until the end.”

“The final climb wasn't hard enough to make a difference,” he added. “On the sprint I was sitting in third position, but the guy before me left a gap. I went around him but it was too far up to Finetto.”

With three more stages to go, two of them with climbs, Pozdnyakov is sitting comfortably in third place overall, nine seconds down.

Friday’s stage three is the longest of the race, at 170.1km from Strbske Pleso to Zuberec. There are four ranked climbs, with two coming in the first 40 km.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 17:42 »
    Kirill finished in the first group which arrived at the finish one second behind the winner of stage 3 of the Tour of Slovakia. He remains in third place overall with two more stages to go.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 13:47 »
    Kirill has finished third overall in the Tour of Slovakia! Congratulations to him and to his teammates who helped put him there!
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 12:31 »
    June 13, 2016) Kirill Pozdnyakov has finished third overall in the Tour of Slovakia. The Russian riding for the Synergy Baku Cycling Project finished second on the race’s mountainous second stage to move into third place, and held on to it until the end.

“I am very happy with this result, and would like to thank my teammates. The good teamwork is what made this possible,” Pozdnyakov said.

Sunday’s closing stage was a short one, with two climbs, the first coming almost immediately after the start. With 75 km to go, a break group formed which stayed away until the end. Pozdnyakov was safely within the peloton which finished over a minute down.

The team’s next race will be the Tour of Serbia, June 14-19. Matija Kvasina, Matej Mugerli, Josip Rumac, Alex Surutkovych, Elchin Asadov and Ioannis Tamouridis will represent Synergy Baku in the race.

• ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 20:41 »
    (June 15, 2016) Matija Kvasina finished third on the second stage of the Tour of Serbia to move into second place overall. The Croatian riding for the Synergy Baku Cycling Project was the initiator of a stage-long break group which stayed away until the end.

It was a top day for the team, with three riders in the top ten of the stage. Ioannis Tamouridis came back from a crash to lead the peloton home and finish sixth, with Matej Mugerli eighth. Tamouridis is now 8th overall and Mugerli 12th.

In addition, Kvasina took the mountain jersey and the team retained its hold at the top of the team ranking.

Kvasina was the first to attack on the opening 18km long climb, and four other riders joined him. Their largest gap was three minutes, but they were able to stay away until the finish line.

The short stage, only 108 km, was full of climbs “and lots of headwind. I was not feeling at my best today, and in the end ran out of energy. The race profile we had seen wasn’t correct and did not fit the situation, so I didn’t know there was another 2 km climb only 5km before the finish. One of the others attacked there and soloed in to the finish. I was about at the end of my power but managed to pull out a third place on the stage, and second overall,” Kvasina said.

It was the first race for the 34-year-old since the Tour d’Azerbaidjan last month. “The long break from racing has made my body lazy but every day I feel better. Maybe tomorrow we will try to do some more damage!”

DS Andrej Hauptman also commented that “at the end was a short steep climb which was not in the race book. One of the others attacked and Matija did his best with what was left in his legs. We are pretty happy because for all of them except Alex Surutkovych, this is their first race since Azerbaijan.”

Tamouridis had a heavy crash today after receiving a tire from the neutral service car. The tube was not glued, and on the descent the tire came loose from the rim, and he crashed. The Greek rider was not injured.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 07:10 »
    Mugerli wins stage three in Serbia

(June 16, 2016) Matej Mugerli soloed in to win the third stage of the Tour of Serbia and take over the yellow jersey of the race leader. It is the fourth season win for the Synergy Baku rider.

In addition, Matija Kvasina is third in GC and wears the mountain jersey, and the team still leads the teams ranking.

Josip Rumac was in the first break group of the day. Later Mugerli escaped with Clemens Fankhauser of Tirol Team, and the two slowly pulled away. They had only a three minute gap on the chasing group which held all the top sprinters. With less than 40 km to go, the other rider crashed on a descent, leaving Mugerli alone in the lead. He held on for teh remaining thirty-plus kilometers and flew in to the finish line, 2:31 ahead of the field.

Mugerli’s last win this season was stage three of the Tour d’Azerbaidjan. He also won stage 3 of the Istrian Spring Trophy and the Porec Trophy.

“It was not such a long stage, but hard and for me a very intensive race,” Mugerli said. “I did 100km in the breakaway, and the last 30 km alone after my mate from Tirol crashed. From teh beginning, we pushed, there was no real tactic, just going full gas.

“I am happy with this victory and also to be in the yellow jersey on my birthday tomorrow. And of course many thanks to the Synergy Baku team, which controlled the race behind me.”

“This was another amazing day for our team,” said DS Andrej Hauptman. “The first part of the stage was really hard. Matej and Fankhauser attacked before the first climb. Then he won the first intermediate sprint and picked up six seconds.

“Behind them, we controlled the yellow jersey group. With 50 km to go, the gap was three minutes and the others started to chase. It was not easy, but today, Matej was the strongest. We still face three difficult days, but as always this season, congratulations to the whole team.”
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 15:56 »
    Matej Mugerli continues to hold the lead in the Tour of Serbia. The Synergy Baku Cycling Project controlled the whole race so that his overall lead was not endangered and he again won the leader’s jersey on his 35th birthday.

“Everything was under control today. Ioannis Tamouridis, Josip Rumac and Alex Surutkovych did a fantastic job!” Mugerli said. “They chased for 180 km.”

“There were a few attacks on the final climb, but Matija Kvasina and I controlled them. Huge thanks to the guys. Now I have to bring the yellow jersey to the finish on Sunday for them!”

“Today was a hard day. It was 192 km and the guys were in front all day. We still have yellow,” said DS Andrej Hauptman. “I am very proud of this team.”

There are still two stages to go in the race.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 19:54 »
    Matej Mugerli has won the overall title in the Tour of Serbia. In addition, Matija Kvasina finished third overall and Synergy Baku Cycling Project takes home the title of best team.

Mugerli finished the sixth and final stage Sunday safely in the peloton, which crossed the finish line only three seconds behind two escapees. He came into the stage with a lead of over two minutes and was never really endangered all day.

He laid the base for his GC win on the third stage, which he won by over two and a half minutes in a solo to the finish. The team led the team rankings for the entire race. Kvasina finished third on the second stage and stayed in the top three overall until the end.

“There were many attacks today but our team had no problem controlling the race. The guys did an amazing job and we also won the team ranking,” Mugerli said. “This was my first race back after a break, and I am very happy to have won the overall title in a stage race.”

“This final stage was more difficult than we expected, but the guys really gave their best,” said DS Andrej Hauptman. “We lost the mountain jersey, but held on to the team classification. Congratulations to all the riders and staff.”
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 18:38 »
    Kirill has a racing break right now, and is doing altitude training on Tenerife. This was his rest day, so he took the time to answer some of your questions.

"Most of the time I train in the Flemish Ardennes when I'm in Belgium.  I have lived in Belgium since I was 17 but since I first signed with Baku in 2013, I spend most of the time in Spain and come to Belgium only to see family and for recovery time between races. Marc Lombaerts makes my training plans, he has been coaching me for 5 years.

When you switch teams at the continental level, you don't really need an agent, you can handle it all by yourself. At some point maybe you are more relaxed if you have contract for the coming year, but it will not affect your current season if you don't have the legs :)

Racing in different climate zones is more difficult than time zones, sometimes you even don't feel the time difference if the climate is not extremely different than that you came from."
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 11:54 »
    Synergy Baku Cycling Project riders have brought in six national titles for 2016. Ioannis Tamouridis scored the double, winning both the time trial and road titles in Greece.

As expected,Synergy Baku riders filled the podiums at both Azerbaijan championships. Maksym Averin won the road title, winning by some 12 minutes in a solo breakaway. Synergy Baku riders took the top six places in the race. Samir Jabrayilov won the sprint for second ahead of Elchin Asadov, with Ismail Iliasov only two seconds back in fourth. In the time trial, Asadov ended up atop the podium, beating out Averin and Jabrayilov.

“I am proud to have defended my title in the road race, and it tops off a great first part of the season. Many thanks to my teammates who helped to make this possible,” said Averin. “I am also proud to have won with such a large time gap!”

Matija Kvasina, winner of the Tour of Croatia, took the Croatian time trial championship for the third time, and was third in the road race. Josip Rumac finished second in the Croatian road race, which gave him the U-23 title.

The man of the weekend was Tamouridis. On Friday he won the Greek national time trial, and on Sunday the Greek national road race. It was his eighth time trial title and fifth road title.

“It was a great weekend! My aim was to win both jerseys and I was in a good condition to do it,” Tamouridis said. “I knew the time trial was ‘easier” to win, but the road race is always a very stressful race and they were another eight to ten riders racing against me. In addition to power I also needed a good plan to control all of them and for sure luck. I crashed In the middle of the race but fortunately without consequences. Finally everything got well and I can be satisfied with the results and my condition.”

Averin, Tamouridis and Kvasina are all headed to the Olympic Games in Rio in August.

Team manager David McQuaid was proud of his riders.  “This year’s national championships have indeed been rewarding for our squad. This puts our name out there for sure.”

“It is a strong credit to the guys as a group, and while I am happy to see our three Rio-bound riders all on the road race podiums – Maksym and Ioannis winning, and Matija impressing in Croatia – I am also happy to see our young guys performing so well too, pushing the Elites. Ismail narrowly missed the podium in Azerbaijan, and Josip narrowly missed the Elite win in Croatia.”
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 13:55 »
    Kirill has just finished his altitude training on Tenerife and is back in Belgium -- for the moment. "I love the island," he said. "If I could, i would live here. Nothing to distract me from my focus."

"I did some tests and everything is great. The next races can come!"

• ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 08:32 »
    Kirill Pozdnyakov will lead the Synergy Baku Cycling Project in the Tour of Sibiu (UCI 2.1). The Romanian race runs July 6-10.

Pozdnyakov recently finished third overall in the Tour of Slovakia, and was 14th overall in the Tour d’Azerbaidjan. In the Tour of Croatia he was seventh in the final GC, and contributed greatly to teammate Matija Kvasina’s overall win.

He will be supported by Kvasina, who won the Croatian national time trial championship, and Josip Rumac, who won the U23 Croatian road race title. Matej Mugerli, winner of the Tour of Serbia, and Elchin Asadov, Azerbaijan’s time trial champion, will also back the Russian up, as will Samir Jabrayilov.

The Tour opens with a 2.2km prologue in the city of Sibiu. Stage 1, with start and finish in Sibiu, contains four ranked climbs, is followed by a stage with five climbs, and a mountain top finish. The climbing continues with a mountain time trial in the third stage. There is no let up, as the race closes with six climbs on the final stage.

Synergy Baku Cycling Project for the Tour of Sibiu: Elchin Asadov, Samir Jabrayilov, Matija Kvasina, Matej Mugerli, Kirill Pozdnyakov, and Josip Rumac
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #27 on: July 09, 2016, 13:45 »
    Kirill has won the mountain time trial in the Sibiu Tour!
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #28 on: July 09, 2016, 16:45 »
    Kirill Pozdnyakov has won the mountain time trial in the Sibiu Cycling Tour. The Russian took his first win of the year by covering the difficult 6.8 kilometers in 16:20.

The penultimate stage in Romania,which finished at the glacier lake Bâlea Lac at 2040 m, contained 13 hairpin curves and numerous other curves and turns. It had an average gradient of 6.18%.

Pozdnyakov covered the course six seconds faster than second-place Alessio Taliani and 11 seconds faster than Serghei Tvetcov, both of Androni Giacattoli-Sidermec.

“It was great to win today ! A special win on a special mountain,” Pozdnyakov said. “I dedicate this win to the people who make it possible for us to race and who support us in what is not always an  easy situation.”

“Kirill was amazing today,” said DS Andrej Hauptman. “For sure he was the strongest. This is a big victory for him and the team.”

“This is an excellent results for the team, and an excellent result for Kirill personally,” said team manager David McQuaid. “To win a mountain time trial takes pedigree. Kirill set the best time today ahead of established Pro Conti riders, and I am happy for him because he is a dedicated rider.”

“Unfortunately due to how yesterday’s stage panned out, the GC is out of the equation now. We came here to win the GC with Kirill and today’s results show that we could have done it.”
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

• Domestic Rider
    • Baku Cycling Project
    « Reply #29 on: July 09, 2016, 16:48 »
    Waiting to learn whether you will win a time trial is not easy.....

• ReplyReply

•