collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Synergy Baku

Re: Kirill Pozdnyakov blog
« on: June 27, 2016, 11:54 »
Synergy Baku Cycling Project riders have brought in six national titles for 2016. Ioannis Tamouridis scored the double, winning both the time trial and road titles in Greece.

As expected,Synergy Baku riders filled the podiums at both Azerbaijan championships. Maksym Averin won the road title, winning by some 12 minutes in a solo breakaway. Synergy Baku riders took the top six places in the race. Samir Jabrayilov won the sprint for second ahead of Elchin Asadov, with Ismail Iliasov only two seconds back in fourth. In the time trial, Asadov ended up atop the podium, beating out Averin and Jabrayilov.

“I am proud to have defended my title in the road race, and it tops off a great first part of the season. Many thanks to my teammates who helped to make this possible,” said Averin. “I am also proud to have won with such a large time gap!”

Matija Kvasina, winner of the Tour of Croatia, took the Croatian time trial championship for the third time, and was third in the road race. Josip Rumac finished second in the Croatian road race, which gave him the U-23 title.

The man of the weekend was Tamouridis. On Friday he won the Greek national time trial, and on Sunday the Greek national road race. It was his eighth time trial title and fifth road title.

“It was a great weekend! My aim was to win both jerseys and I was in a good condition to do it,” Tamouridis said. “I knew the time trial was ‘easier” to win, but the road race is always a very stressful race and they were another eight to ten riders racing against me. In addition to power I also needed a good plan to control all of them and for sure luck. I crashed In the middle of the race but fortunately without consequences. Finally everything got well and I can be satisfied with the results and my condition.”

Averin, Tamouridis and Kvasina are all headed to the Olympic Games in Rio in August.

Team manager David McQuaid was proud of his riders.  “This year’s national championships have indeed been rewarding for our squad. This puts our name out there for sure.”

“It is a strong credit to the guys as a group, and while I am happy to see our three Rio-bound riders all on the road race podiums – Maksym and Ioannis winning, and Matija impressing in Croatia – I am also happy to see our young guys performing so well too, pushing the Elites. Ismail narrowly missed the podium in Azerbaijan, and Josip narrowly missed the Elite win in Croatia.”
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Topics