collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Synergy Baku

Re: Kirill Pozdnyakov blog
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 09:06 »
Kirill talks Sibiu:  what went right, and what went wrong.

Hi!

RIght now I am on my way back from Sibiu Tour to Belgium for few days. On  Wednesday I leave for another race, not in Europe this time but in China, an altitude race, Qinghai lake.

Since my last blog i have done a few race, including the Tour of Slovakia. It was n also a successful race for me, as I managed to finish second on the mountain stage and third in General Classification.

This race should have been part of the preparation for the Tour of Austria that we were expected to take part in, so straight after Slovakia I went to altitude training camp in Tenerife. In the end we didn't get the invitation for Austria and the Sibiu Tour came instead. To be honest i was disappointed that we did not start in Austria but there is nothing else i could do about this, so i had to stay focused and switch my mind for the new targets and races that will come.

The Tour of Sibiu is a 2.1 race and every year has some mountain finishes. It is not an easy race and a nice opportunity to see a new county :) After all the training I  have done, I knew I could fight for overall classification and my team came to support me and help me win this race. The second stage and the mountain TT should decide this race.

Stage 2  was 210 km with a mountain top finish, but this stage did not go the way we and other favourites expected. After 15 km a big break group got away  and the strong teams had someone in there. Everybody started to look to each other and no one wanted to work to bring this group back. They got easily 10 minutes and at some point the peloton just gave up and at this moment my GC goal was over… the breakaway arrived 10 minutes before the peloton and for us it was a very disappointing day.

The next was the mountain TT and for me it was a very important day despite having lost the race the previous day and I didn't had any excuse. But I wanted to  show that i was ready for this race and that the team came to support me here not for nothing, i just gave everything I had and won the mountain TT

After the finish I was happy but at the same time disappointed for the day before, because i had great legs and for sure was able to fight for victory. For me it was still a great achievement, my first pro victory in Europe.

What happened the day before i only can take as a lesson for the future.  Normally in the stage like this the favourites arrive together at the last mountain and fight against each other but this time it went totally the other way.  You have to be prepared for all kind of situations in the race. I was just too confident that it would be like this..and this was my mistake.

Now I have a few recovery days with family and then racing again. Qinghai Lake is a long race and we are going there with a strong team. A lot can happen in this race... My goal is again the GC and helping our sprinters to win some stages, so its gonna be a very interesting race ;)

Keep following us!
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 08:38 »
    The team is back in action next week and once again we will be looking to Kirill for top results!

(July 15, 2016) Kirill Pozdnyakov will lead the Synergy Baku Cycling Project in the Tour of Qinghai Lake. The race in China runs for 13 stages from July17 to 30.

The Azeri-based squad will send a strong team to the race, ready to take on both climbs and sprints. Pozdnyakov recently won the mountain time trial at the Sibiu Cycling Tour, and will look to do well in the GC in China. Matej Mugerli, winner of the Tour of Serbia, will also have his eye on various stages.

Fast men Maksym Averin and Ioannis Tamouridis will look for their chances in the sprints, while also using the race as fine-tuning for their upcoming appearances in the Rio Olympics.

The squad will be rounded out by Josip Rumac and Azeri riders Elchin Asadov and Samir Jabrayilov, with all three expected to be active in break groups.

“We are looking forward to a good hard race,” said DS Jeremy Hunt. “We have a good team and it’s the last prep race before the Olympics for Averin and Tamouridis. The team have shown that they are going well and I’m sure it will continue so.”

Synergy Baku Cycling Project for Tour of Qinghai Lake: Elchin Asadov, Maksym Averin, Samir Jabrayilov, Matej Mugerli, Kirill Pozdnyakov, Josip Rumac, and Ioannis Tamouridis
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 08:43 »
    A big crash near the finish of Qinghai Lake in stage 1 -- a "fan" either decided to cross teh road or stand in the middle of the road to take  photo, as the peloton was speeding along for a bunch sprint finish. Apparently he has been arrested.

Unfortunately we probably have injuries, no real details yet.

:angry :angry
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2016, 09:46 »
    Kirill was one of those who hit the road in that crash today, but of course says, "I'm fine! And tomorrow is another day!"
     <3 <3

• ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2016, 12:59 »
    Kirill gave it a try today in stage 2, but sadly his injuries were too great and he had to abandon. We wish him a speedy recovery!
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 14:24 »
    Qinghai Lake has certainly not gone as planned! That awful crash in the first stage took out Ioannis Tamouridis (cracked collarbone) and Kirill Pozdnyakov (concussion). Josip Rumac became ill, Elchin Asadov had to abandon after a bad crash, and Max Averin left early because of the Olympics.

That leaves us with only Matej Mugerli and Samir Jabrayilov for the second half of the race! But Matej has worked his way up to 4th in GC, so that is good.

And we are happy to report that all the ill and injured are doing well again!
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 08:12 »
    Kirill has a new Facebook page. Check it out and please give him a "like"!

https://www.facebook.com/Kirill-Pozdnyakov-1664494583873397/
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2016, 16:38 »
    We had planned to have another blog from Kirill today or tomorrow. But he just told us that he had been in Spain training, and his luggage got lost on the flight back to Belgium. This evening he is flying to Slovenia for his next race "and I hope to sort out things with my bag, everything was there including my laptop so I can't write something right now for a blog."

"Going to the race now with one set of race clothes and old shoes. Hope still to see my bag before I leave, all my rain clothes are there also."
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6943
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 12:05 »
    his luggage got lost on the flight back to Belgium.
    Lost luggage - the nightmare of every traveller. Hope it turns up in time.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Synergy Baku

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2016, 07:51 »
    (August 10, 2016) The Synergy Baku Cycling Project’s next race is the Cycling Tour Szeklerland, in Romania. The race runs 476 kilometers over three days, starting Thursday, August 11.

Kirill Pozdnyakov and Matej Mugerli will lead the team in the race. Mugerli recently finished second in the Tour of Qinghai Lake. Pozdnyakov had to abandon that race after suffering a concussion in a mass crash involving a spectator.

They will be supported by Josip Rumac and young Azeri riders Elgun Alizada, Enver Asanov, Kanan Gahramanli and Ismail Iliasov.

“I will do my best to help ‘Mugo’ who is in good form now,” said Pozdnyakov. “I am coming back after the crash, I will see how it goes and maybe try something.”

The race opens with a stage of 184km with start and finish in Csikszerada, and includes one ranked climb. Stage 2 runs 163 km with multiple mountains to be conquered.

Saturday sees two half-stages. In the morning there is a 6.1km uphill time trial, followed that afternoon by a 123 km stage with 17 laps of a circuit course.

Synergy Baku for the Tour of Szeklerland: Elgin Alizada, Enver Asanov, Kanan Gahramanli, Ismail Iliasov, Matej Mugerli and Kirill Pozdnyakov
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2016, 15:36 »
    The Synergy Baku Cycling Project got the Cycling Tour of Szeklerland off to a good start. On the first stage, Matej Mugerli finished second, with Josip Rumac 10th, with Kirill Pozdnyakov in the day’s long break group.

The stage ran 184 km and featured one climb near the end. “Today was a very fast race,” said DS Andrej Hauptman. “Kirill was in the breakaway of 13 riders for 100 km. The group split at the end of the last climb. With 20 km to go, Matej attacked along with 7 other riders. Then he was second in the sprint.”

“It was a hard race ,with many attacks.” Mugerli said. “The team worked very good. We were always present. Today I was so close to the victory, that I must try tomorrow again!”

Mugerli was also impressed with the young Azeri riders, saying they “contributed to this result. This was the first race in a long time that I have raced with them again. And I saw that they have made good progress.”

Pozdnyakov said that he was trying not to repeat the mistake from the Tour of Sibiu, where a break group stayed away on the first stage with a gap large enough to decide the overall title. “So I was active from the start and got away, but the group didn’t co-operate well and in the end it was a tactical race.”

Friday’s stage will be a challenging one, with numerous climbs and a mountain top finish.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 15:38 »
    By the way, Kirill's lost luggage was finally delivered to his home in Belgium -- after he had left, of course.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2016, 15:55 »
    In only his first race back after that nasty crash, Kirill today stormed his way as first to the top of the mountaintop finish, and also took over the lead in GC! His teammate Matej Mugerli controlled things behind him and was second on the stage and second on GC!
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2016, 18:23 »
    Pozdnyakov takes over in Szeklerland

(August 12, 2016) Kirill Pozdnyakov has taken over the Cycling Tour of Szeklerland, just ahead of his teammate Matej Mugerli. The Synergy Baku Cycling Project duo finished first and second on stage two, also taking over the first and second positions in GC.

“It was a good day today,” said Pozdnyakov. “I am happy to win after my crash in China. Matej and I attacked on the last climb and immediately got a good gap. With 4km to go, I attacked and could get away. I just went full gas until the end.”

“I am happy to win the stage and happy to share the podium with my teammate. Thanks to my team for helping me. Also thanks to our DS Andrej Hauptman and team manager David McQuaid for their support and everything they do for me.”

It was a rainy day in Romania for the stage which covered 163 km from the start in Székelyudvarhely to the mountaintop finish at Hargitafűrdő/Băile Harghita  — the last of many climbs on the day!

“From the start, a group of six riders got away, and the race leader’s team controlled the race all day. On the last climb, a group jumped and caught those six. Kirill attacked with 4 km to go, and there was no response. Mugerli controlled things behind him and then won the sprint for second place,” said DS Andrej Hauptman.

The stage win put Pozdnyakov in to the overall race lead, with Mugerli in second place.

Saturday sees two half-stages. In the morning, the riders will take on a 6.1 km uphill individual time trial, followed in the late afternoon by a circuit race of 123 km.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2016, 18:25 »
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2016, 10:29 »
    And another win! Kirill has just won the uphill time trial in the first half-stage today, by a comfortable margin.He now has a good lead going into this afternoon's final half stage.
  • ReplyReply

• Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 502
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #46 on: August 13, 2016, 16:58 »
    Congrats Kirill, best of luck for this afternoon!
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2016, 14:08 »
    Pozdnyakov, Mugerli rule in Romania

(August 14, 2016) Kirill Pozdnyakov won the overall title in the Cycling Tour of Szeklerland on Saturday. The Synergy Baku Cycling Project dominated the race in Romania, winning three of the four stages. Matej Mugerli won the closing stage and finished third overall.

In addition Mugerli won the points ranking and the Azeri team won the team ranking.

Mugerli finished in the top three on all four stages – second in the first two stages and third in the time trial before winning the closing stage. He won the bunch sprint of the circuit stage which covered 123 km.

Pozdnyakov set the ground stone for his overall title by winning the mountaintop finish on stage two, by a clear margin. He went on to increase his lead with a commanding win in the uphill time trial and cemented his win with 13th place in the closing sprint.

“The team was just amazing today. Big thanks to everyone and our young guys did such a perfect job. They fight to the end,” said Pozdnyakov. “The mountain stage and the time trial were more about my condition but today wouldn’t have been possible without my team! Thanks a lot to everyone.”

Pozdnyakov, Mugerli and DS Andrej Hauptman all had praise for the team’s young riders in the race. “We did a great job, and the whole team really worked at 100 percent.The young riders fought like lions,” Hauptman said.

“It again proves that all the work behind the team is bringing perfect results, as you can see the young guys developing and getting strong,” Pozdnyakov said. “I’m sure in a few more years they will be able to win international races.”

“The Synergy Baku team did a great job. All young riders amazed Kirill, Andrej and me,” Mugerli said.. “They really raced like old pros. It was really not an easy stage. Hats off to all of them. My victory was only the icing on the cake.”
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2016, 14:09 »
    The guys having a little fun while claiming the best Team award!

• ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2016, 13:01 »

Hi everybody,

Been a while I wrote something, and a lot of things have happened in the last weeks, both disappointing and successful moments.

We had a  big HC race in "Qinghai Lake" in China, following my victory in Sibiu and altitude training camp. I had a good feeling to do well in China but it was over for me on the first day, when 2 km before the finish a spectator walked into the peloton and caused a nasty crash with all the bunch. It was hard to end the race this way. There was a long trip back to Belgium and recovery from this crash, I actually had to spend two more days in China until I could fly back home. Those two days were very long days for me :)

I managed to recover well and after one week, i could start building up again towards coming races. The team confirmed another stage race in Romania and this was a good one to start after the crash in China. The Tour of Szeklerland is 2.2 race, not the same level as Sibiu but still not an easy race, because they are very unpredictable and anything can happen so you can't wait until the last climb.

With my experience in Sibiu I didn't take any risks on the first day and tried to be present in all the breaks from the start. Finally we managed to get away with a big group but 40 km before the finish, the peloton caught them. In the finale my teammate Matej Mugerli went with small group  away to the finish and finished second. This was a better start than last time in Romania :)

As a team we always had control of the race and everybody did a perfect job. The second stage included a mountain top finis. The team of the race
    leader took the control until the last climb and on this climb it was up to Mugo and me to make the race. With 4 km before the finish I had good legs and went for the stage win, while Mugo protected me behind . I won, Mugo was second and this was great!

The last day had in the morning a mountain TT and in the afternoon a 124 km stage. I did again what I did in Sibiu, just went all out and managed to bring another stage win and  a good lead in General Classification. During the last stage, the team did a perfect job to control the race and it worked perfect.  Mugo won the last stage and all the guys gave their all for this success.

I continue training now and my next race would be August 28 in Slovenia.  I'm glad that right now all is behind and I stay focused on the upcoming races.  In all the races that will come I want to do my best, either for the team result or my own result. The season is not over yet and I hope to share some more successful moments with all of you ;)

Thx,
    Kirill

• ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2016, 20:17 »
    Kirill never knows who he will meet on the Belgian roads....
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2016, 00:36 »
    Kirill says:
    The cancellation of South Bohemia has put a real hole in my race program. All that training, and not many races..... I will fill the gap the best I can with some pro kermis races here in Belgium, there are several every week. I will let you know how it goes!
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2016, 19:58 »
    Today Kirill finished fifth in the Grote Prijs Erpe Sportief in Erpe, Belgium, a pro kirmes race of 168 km.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2016, 15:54 »
    Baku Cycling Project is sending Kirill Pozdnyakov and six Azeri riders to the East Bohemia Tour, September 9-10. The Azeri riders will then travel on to France to represent Azerbaijan in the European Championships.

The race starts Friday with a 150 km stage which should end with a sprint finish. Saturday’s stage two runs 178 km and features multiple climbs.

Pozdnyakov most recently won the Tour of Serbia, including two stages. He will look to the mountainous second stage in East Bohemia.

Sprinter Maksym Averin, who won a stage at the Tour d’Azerbaidjan and represented the land in the Rio Olympics road race, will lead the team in the first stage.

The two will be supported by Elgun Alizada, Enver Asanov, Kanan Gahramanli, Ismail Iliasov and Samir Jabrayilov.

Synergy Baku Cycling Project for the East Bohemia Tour: Elgun Alizada, Enver Asanov, Maksym Averin, Kanan Gahramanli, Ismail Iliasov and Samir Jabrayilov.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2016, 19:22 »
    Kirill reports: "Today I finished fourth in the GP Fred de Breyne, up against a lot of big names. Actually it was frustrating – I rode the last lap alone in the lead, and they caught me on the line!  However, I am feeling super strong right now and am looking forward to the Tour of Almaty this weekend."
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2016, 11:18 »
    (September 30, 2016) The Synergy Baku Cycling Project will round off its successful 2016 season at the Tour of Almaty on October 2.

Kirill Pozdnyakov will lead the team in the one-day race. The Russian won the overall title at the Szeklerland Tour as well as two stages in that race and one at the Sibiu Cycling Tour. At his side will be Elchin Asadov, who will ride the individual time trial in the World Championships. They will be supported by young Azeri riders Elgun Alizada, Enver Asanov, Ismail Iliasov and Samir Jabrayilov, all of whom have qualified for the Worlds.

Pozdnyakov, who has ridden strongly in several criterium races recently, is aiming to land on the podium, while the others will look to put in a strong final race before the Worlds.

The Synergy Baku Cycling Project had its most successful season ever, with 17 wins on the season, including five national championships and three stage race overall titles. Three of the team’s riders rode in the Rio Olympics road race, and seven will appear in the World Championships.

Synergy Baku for the Tour of Almaty: Elgun Alizada, Elchin Asadov, Enver Asanov, Ismail Iliasov, Samir Jabrayilov and Kirill Pozdnyakov
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2016, 07:06 »
    David McQuaid steps down from Synergy Baku management

Synergy Baku announced today that team manager David McQuaid has stepped down from the team  he has run for the past four years. In a statement released by the team, McQuaid said he accomplished the goals originally set when the team was formed -- creating a platform to secure Azerbaijan’s qualification for Rio in road cycling - prompting him to step away from the Continental team.
    "It seems like the right time to go," he said.

"Four years is a long time by any standard, but from those four years have come many long-standing relationships, and I am very appreciative of any of the individuals, be it a staff member, a rider, a sponsor or a race organiser, that have collectively contributed to where the team is today from its nothing beginning," he said. "If you are reading this and you received the 'I need a favour' phone call or email from me, well then you know who know who you are and thanks."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/movistar-adds-carapaz-and-de-la-parte-news-shorts/
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2016, 08:33 »
    Kirill ended his season yesterday with a 15th place in the Tour of Almaty. it was a hard day, with very cold temperatures and lots of rain.
  • ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2016, 16:58 »
    Kirill today won the pro kirmis in Zele, Belgium!

• ReplyReply

• Synergy Baku

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 12:23 »
    At last! Yes, I will be back with Synergy Baku again in 2017, with one huge change – I have taken on Azeri citizenship!
    I will represent Azerbaijan. This is a huge honor for me, and I now have chance to bring in UCI points for the country and do something useful and appreciated by the people from Azerbaijan. I started my success with this team in 2013 and it always been a successful team. There are already good Azeri riders and when I join the national team, it will make our team even stronger and together it will be easier for us to fight for success !
  • ReplyReply

•