collapse

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 302
Re: L'arri's Index of Suspicion 2016
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2017, 09:54 »

To conclude:
It's possible to race all three GTs as a GC leader and be reasonably competitive.
It's also possible to race all three GTs and podium, or even win, in two of them ... but then you won't be at your best in the third one[1].

1. not meant chronologically here

So yes think I am agreeing with your NB above  - that the Yellow-Red-Pink route does allow a GC rider to race to win all three / hold all three at the same time although not in the same calendar year... and as you suggest with difficult to forecast effect on the subsequent defence of the yellow.

Surely for Sky the temptation of holding all three GC' jerseys at one time with the same rider is more of a lasting monument than said rider winning another TdF... time will tell

Plus for the record and nothing to do with Darkside but I fully expect TT rainbow stripes to be added to the collection next week.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1095
    « Reply #91 on: September 13, 2017, 11:01 »
    The one rider who came closest in that era[1] was Sastre ... and he didn't even try to go for it in 2006. It just ... happened...
     1. and remained remarkably untainted by doping accusations

Personally I think you've made a case for the prosecution. Sastre was not a dominant rider and was, as you say, untainted by doping accusations unlike almost everyone else who finished above him during that era. And yet he still managed to be competitive in multiple GTs in a season.

What if Contador had gone for it in 2011 and had a Sky-like team behind him? Dominant in the Giro, he could have ridden more conservatively and if he had not been so unlucky early on, done enough to beat an unconvincing Cadel in the Tour. Then the Vuelta which was picked up by Cobo; who's to say he couldn't have been the one to better take advantage of Sky backing the wrong horse?

The point of all this isn't to say that Contador could have done a treble in 2011, it's to say that it is within the window of possibility for a dominant rider with a bit of good fortune, a great team and the ability to win even when not the strongest, to do so.

Will Froome go for the Giro? In all honesty I think winning the Giro just once irrespective of what else he did that season, a race which due to the weather and temperatures clearly suits him least, would be a greater achievement than everything he has achieved so far. So no, I don't think he will.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6018
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #92 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25 »
    Personally I think you've made a case for the prosecution. Sastre was not a dominant rider and was, as you say, untainted by doping accusations unlike almost everyone else who finished above him during that era. And yet he still managed to be competitive in multiple GTs in a season.
    If you consider a 43rd place 'competitive', that is ...
    Loads of riders have the ability to do well in two GTs, and Sastre was one of them. When he put his mind to it (in 2010), he even managed to finish in the top-20 of all three, and in the top-10 of two.

But there's a huge gap between coming 19th, 8th and 9th, and winning. Just think of Zubeldia and his ilk ... sneaking into the top-10 virtually unseen year after year. But I don't think even his own mother ever considered him a contender for the win.

I do see your point, though: It's very unlikely, but it's not impossible if you have a dominant rider and an even more dominant team.
    But making sure nothing bad happens for 93 race days, that you never lose too much ground on your (considerably fresher) rivals, and remain able to take back time if and when needed ... I just find that so very unlikely that it could as well be impossible.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1095
    « Reply #93 on: September 13, 2017, 11:35 »

I do see your point, though: It's very unlikely, but it's not impossible if you have a dominant rider and an even more dominant team.
    But making sure nothing bad happens for 93 race days, that you never lose too much ground on your (considerably fresher) rivals, and remain able to take back time if and when needed ... I just find that so very unlikely that it could as well be impossible.

As impossible as winning seven TdFs in a row with luck on your side while misfortune befell everyone else around you and then forfeiting the lot 7 years after the last win without ever testing positive?
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 824
    Re: L\'arri\'s Index of Suspicion 2016
    « Reply #94 on: September 13, 2017, 22:01 »
    . . .
    It's possible to race all three GTs as a GC leader and be reasonably competitive.
    It's also possible to race all three GTs and podium, or even win, in two of them ... but then you won't be at your best in the third one[1].
    But racing all three and not only compete for a top-10, or a podium spot, but actually win them against strong and clever opposition? No. Just simply no.
     1. not meant chronologically here

Better researched and supported than my statements - thanks for that. As for doing all 3 - well we do have Adam Hansen for an example, but most GTs he has participated in he doesn't even win a stage. So, yeah, riding all 3 is doable. It's the winning part that makes me want to scream . . .

Post Merge: September 13, 2017, 22:09
    As impossible as winning seven TdFs in a row with luck on your side while misfortune befell everyone else around you and then forfeiting the lot 7 years after the last win without ever testing positive?

Now you've lost me as to which side you are arguing!   :lol 
    As for Sastre not testing positive, and not being tainted by doping accusations, AFAIC, we have sufficient testimony at this time to reasonably conclude that 99% of the peloton was doping in that era, and 100% of the winners were. Which would include Sastre - and tainted or no - well - as you point out - there WERE all those tests that didn't catch old Lancey boy. The obvious conclusion is that the testing regimes were easily fooled or corrupt or disfunctional or all of the above.

. . . for 93 race days, that you never lose too much ground on your (considerably fresher) rivals, and remain able to take back time if and when needed ... I just find that so very unlikely that it could as well be impossible.

Yeah - that.  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 22:13 by hiero »
    Eeyore sez . . .

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.