collapse

Synergy Baku

Inside a bunch sprint
« on: April 21, 2016, 18:09 »
Have you ever wondered what it is like to actually be in a bunch sprint? It may not be quite as you expect....... Matej Mugerli shared some thoughts on the issue.

“Bunch sprints are very exciting for the fans to watch – but they are extremely stressful for the riders. We experienced that today in the Tour of Croatia.

Only the riders know what it is like when the whole field goes in for a bunch sprint. We risk our skin, our heads, our lives for the sprint, or to help our sprinters.

You are going downhill, 80km/h, a few centimeters away from many other riders, all as nervous as you. One of them touches someone else’s back wheel and crash – right in front of you. You can brake or jump over him. But if he touches you, you risk crashing yourself. Or someone touches your back wheel and he goes down, but you are lucky enough not to.

Or with only 1 km to go, the rider in front of you doesn’t see a pothole, and crashes. You brake, turn left to avoid him and sprint so as not to lose your position. But of course you do lose some position and you then can’t help your sprinter because you are too far back. You still try to get up front as far as possible to do you job, though, because in a stage like this, getting your sprinter up as far forward as possible IS your job.

How do I know all this? Well, that is what happened to me these past few days... Believe me, this is one of the aspects of the job that is really no fun.”
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    Re: Inside a bunch sprint
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 19:31 »
    I feel like bunch sprints in some way does not get the attention they deserve, it is over in a heartbeat, and when it is over the race is over and the TV producer wants to cut to commercials as fast as possible. If it was treated like, for example a goal in football, where they rewind what happened and explain what happen a better understanding can be reached, who was able to contest the sprint? who had the power? who had not? I do feel that is a real shame.

As far as the topic of being inside a bunch sprint, I would indeed think it would be a horrifying event.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 00:29 »
    yep - certainly not for the fainthearted

insightful post though, I think we (the fans) sometimes dont appreciate the intensity of your run-of-the-mill bunch sprint
  • ReplyReply

• Susan Westemeyer

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 59
    « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 06:40 »
    I remember years ago Erik Zabel saying quite derisively that some of his teammates (i.e, the climbers) would "pee in their pants" if they had to take part in a bunch sprint. He was probably right but he did say it in a rather mean-spirited way.
  • ReplyReply
  • tick-ink.biz/eng

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 06:57 »
    I remember years ago Erik Zabel saying quite derisively that some of his teammates (i.e, the climbers) would "pee in their pants" if they had to take part in a bunch sprint. He was probably right but he did say it in a rather mean-spirited way.

As far as scary rides goes those GC guys that have to stay up near the front of the sprint, but who are unable to win and have to stay on wheels by all means must be pretty scary as well.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 462
    « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 12:30 »

It might have been a bit mean spirited, but sometimes I yearn for the sprint winner (or unlucky loser) to say something other than the now obligatory 'attaboys' to his support team of praise-addicted-millennials.  I know at first hearing it sounds great and team spirited, but has become one of the biggest post race cliches.  Cav is both a culprit and sometimes a trend bucking hero in this regard!

• ReplyReply

• Susan Westemeyer

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 59
    « Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 07:13 »
    It may be an annoying cliche, but it is usually true. The sprinters wouldn't be there at the finish without those helpers.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 462
    « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 11:13 »
    Sure but as its always true it could occasionally go without saying, and I am sure there is more than enough glad handing on the team bus, etc allowing the more charismatic sprinters to give us a few words of insight like the really interesting post atop this thread.  Just a forlorn hope really!

Anyway looking forward to some more insight from Mr Synergy Baku - really great stuff
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:07 by Servais Knavendish »

Recent Posts