collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10759
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Women's Transfers 16-17
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:55 »
1st up and interesting news

Lizzie signs a 2 year deal with #boels  so the retirement talk now off the table

Good news
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 14:18 by LukasCPH »
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

ConfusedSpider

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 68
    Re: Womens Transfers 16-17
    « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 16:24 »
    So far, Boels keeping their riders. Before the season started, DS Danny Stam said that they wanted more Dutch riders to get more attention in the Netherlands, and that Van der Breggen and Brand are on top of their list (especially if Rabo can't find a new sponsor). They weren't sure of Vos (probably because of Armitstead staying). So it'll be interesting to see how that will work out. We could be in for an interesting transfer season, especially if Rabo goes down.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

ConfusedSpider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 22:55 »
    Some news that has gone unnoticed in a couple of interviews:

First of all, Rochelle Gilmore has said that Dani King will leave the team after this season. Dani will be searching a team where she can have more of a leadership role.

Second: Vos has said in an interview after Dutch nationals that they've found a new sponsor. They will announce the details in a couple of weeks.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

ConfusedSpider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 10:17 »
    I really hope that either Guarnier or Stevens doesn't renew their contract with Boels, otherwise, this team+ extra signings for next year? That could be really bad for the sport.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 10:20 »
    Yep, leaving one big block of top riders only to strengthen another is not really what I had hoped for in the transfer season.

Hopefully the new sponsorship rumours for Giant will mean that team can also reinforce its women's squad and sign someone like Stevens? Otherwise, there is still a severe lack of teams with any kind of money to spare in the women's peloton..
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 11:05 »
    I'd mentioned it before on the Giro Rosa thread but women's cycling badly needs to grow out of this one- or two-team hegemony. Chicken-and-egg stuff it may be, but the health of the sport depends on it.

The thing that haunts me is what Ferrand-Prévot once said in an interview: #raboliv was one of the only women's teams to pay a living salary. I can't think the situation is that much better now.

Van Der Breggen has got to look out for her own situation but it's difficult to see how #boels will develop her career further unless the offer is better and Stam says goodbye to a host of top riders come August 1st.

VDB was all set to mature in Vos' shadow but then she more than adequately filled the vacuum left by the latter's absence. She has become a big champion relatively rapidly since that rainy afternoon in Florence when she basically earned her leader's world title. So where can she go from here?

Perhaps it's also an indication that Vos is set to retake the reins of outright leadership and/or that the new sponsor has made that status a condition of its investment.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

ConfusedSpider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 11:37 »
    The interesting thing is: earlier this season Vos stated that the riders had a deal to wait signing a new contract untill the start of the Giro, that was basically the deadline to find a new sponsor. A well informed Dutch journalist now said that Anna signed her contract weeks ago. This to me signals that Anna isn't leaving Rabo for sponsorship reasons, but that she wanted to change teams. Some riders just need change every few years. Others (like Vos) are happy to ride in one place their entire career.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

ConfusedSpider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 12:02 »
    So, it looks like even though the Rabo team will continue with other sponsors, the team will look quite different. DS Koos Moerenhout has gone to the U23 development team Axeon Hagens Berman, and there are strong rumors about Kasia Niewiadoma going to.. Liv-Plantur.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 12:29 »
    So, it looks like even though the Rabo team will continue with other sponsors, the team will look quite different. DS Koos Moerenhout has gone to the U23 development team Axeon Hagens Berman, and there are strong rumors about Kasia Niewiadoma going to.. Liv-Plantur.

Niewiadoma at Liv would be nice, a talented rider moving away from the big 3 teams. I do wonder what the Giant/Liv/Sunweb women's teamw will be like next year, and how the change in sponsors will affect it. Hopefully it'll have a budget increase.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 13:12 »
    PFP is also rumored to be leaving to as yet unknown home My guess Wiggle or left filed Orica
  • ReplyReply

• ConfusedSpider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 13:15 »
    PFP is also rumored to be leaving to as yet unknown home My guess Wiggle or left filed Orica

The question I'm asking, is she even going to sign for a road team? She seems to do more mountainbike than road these days, could we see her sign for a mtb team? Maybe doing a few races for a smaller road team (like Jolanda Neff).
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 13:18 »
    The question I'm asking, is she even going to sign for a road team? She seems to do more mountainbike than road these days, could we see her sign for a mtb team? Maybe doing a few races for a smaller road team (like Jolanda Neff).

maybe if so then to FDJ then?
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 13:01 »
    Another big name leaving Rabobank next season:

https://twitter.com/GiantAlpecin/status/762605253732818944

Lucinda Brand to Liv/Plantur/Sunweb
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 09:27 »
    PFP to -----> #canyon latest rumor
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 17:53 »
    https://twitter.com/PCfuturoscope86/status/766316210745204736

just to the end of the year at this stage
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 11:52 »
    Team Liv-Plantur have also announced the renewed contracts with Floortje Mackaij, Sabrina Stultiens and Leah Kirchmann.

and this is huge

https://twitter.com/GiantAlpecin/status/766586576247947269

Rabo team Vos is dead I think as I though she might go back to Rabo/Vos
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 15:52 »
    Giant/Liv/Sunweb are really stepping up their women's team. I do hope some form of the Rabo team will keep existing, but by the looks of things that will be just Vos and a few helpers if it does.

Rumours for PFP were that she could be signed by Canyon by the way - would be another rider to leave Rabo.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 16:17 »
    Giant/Liv/Sunweb are really stepping up their women's team.
    What's the 'female brand' of Sunweb, by the way - if there even is one?

To me, it looks as if Liv-Plantur will be Sunweb-Liv next year (with the men's team as Sunweb-Giant) - and that leaves hardly any sponsors for the current Rabo-Liv team.
    Apart from Vos, which big names are left at Rabo-Liv now?

On the positive side, women's cycling has improved in recent years. Four years ago, "Vos and some helpers" would immediately have been the best team in the world.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 16:39 »
    What's the 'female brand' of Sunweb, by the way - if there even is one?

To me, it looks as if Liv-Plantur will be Sunweb-Liv next year (with the men's team as Sunweb-Giant) - and that leaves hardly any sponsors for the current Rabo-Liv team.
    Apart from Vos, which big names are left at Rabo-Liv now?

On the positive side, women's cycling has improved in recent years. Four years ago, "Vos and some helpers" would immediately have been the best team in the world.

Yes by all accounts the women's team will be Sunweb-Liv. Although Giant (for men) / Liv (women) hasn't officially been announced as the secondary sponsor for Sunweb yet, so it could still end up with a different secondary name sponsor - or even none.

As for Rabo, PFP and Niewiadoma haven't signed anywhere else yet. They were rumoured to Canyon and Liv respectively, but no announcements as of yet. Thalita de Jong is also still at Rabo, a young but very talented rider on and offroad. Plus Shara Gillow hasn't signed anywhere else yet, and I haven't heard any rumours about her so far.

Even assuming PFP leaves, with Vos, Niewiadoma, De Jong and Gillow you have the basis for an excellent squad, which would still be one of the best in the world with a good mix of experience and talent. Add a number of domestiques and the team is on for next year. It won't be as dominant as they have been, but that's not a bad thing.

So until Vos has signed for a different team, there is definitely hope for Rabo's future.
  • ReplyReply

• ConfusedSpider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 10:17 »
    Vos has confirmed again today that the team will continue in 2017. Marianne: ''The financial support comes from small partners, that's why the team for 2017 stands. We want to press ahead for 2018.''

To me that sounds like they are doing a step back in 2017, with support coming from small partners. But she hopes to be able to step up again for 2018. I guess that's the reason why we've seen some of the top riders leave. Kudos to Marianne for keeping her team afloat though, I don't think people realise how easy it would be for her to give up on it and sign somewhere else for a bigger salary. I expect the team to be Vos + several younger, mostly Dutch riders next season. With Boels being quite a bad place for young Dutch riders so far (Demi de Jong looks to be leaving the team), I think Marianne's team is really important to the strength of Dutch women's cycling.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Vimto

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 130

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1143
    « Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 11:16 »
    Article from this weeks Krant van West Vlaanderen

Saartje Vandenbroucke to Lares-Waowdeals

Remarkable transfer in women’s cycling: Saartje Vandenbroucke (20) leaves Topsport Vlaanderen after three seasons and goes to Lares-Waowdeals.

These last few months I heard nothing from the team management anymore
    says the university student of Hollebeke.

The four-time final winner of Westsprint [that’s a ranking gathering several races in West-Flanders] in Women Youth started her second campaign in the elite ranks very well, though. Saartje had a series of very high places and was the best young rider in the Tour of Flanders, 46th.

But in recent months, the team no longer placed me. I haven’t heard anything from them either. I think: if you are riding for an UCI-team, you have to race UCI races, no kermess races. Thereby I’m now a bit like in a rest period. I keep it active, but I’m training for a lot of races. I’m building up my condition. 2017 becomes an important year.

Always the same six

I knew that because of my exams [Saartje is doing a master in biomedical science, ed.] I could not race a lot last May and June but when the selection for the following races came up, it got clear that the DS (Davy Wynant, ed.) always chose for the same six girls and the rest fell of the boat. Yet I did well at the start of the season. I’m not really angry with Christel Herremans (Topsport manager, ed.) and my trainer Valérie Van Slycke (Herremans daughter-in-law, ed.) but this week the team is busy with the Golden Trophy in France. With 4 riders. Ain’t that a shame?

Meanwhile Saartje is also sure of a new team: the East-Flemish Lares Waowdeals team, also a UCI-team that also has two other West-Flemish girls : Sarah Inghelbrecht and Jesse Vandenbulcke.
    I haven’t been in search myself because I did not know what to do yet. I absolutely wanted to keep racing. Lares-Waowdeels however made a nice offer to me so that I again saw that I could remain active at that level. It’s a one-year contract. I hope it’ll be a good choice.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

ConfusedSpider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 21:32 »
    And now we know who will be leading Lares-Waowdeals next year; Thalita de Jong!

http://www.lares-waowdeals.com/news/welcome-thalita-de-jong/

Thalita said that change after 5 year Rabo is a good thing, but not the main reason she left: she expected to get more leadership chances after her cyclocross world title, but instead she was stuck in a domestique role. A little bit ironic, considering almost all team leaders except Vos have now left the Rabo team (Niewiadoma and PFP officially haven't yet, but I'm pretty sure they are leaving as well). She probably would've had a good chance of being one of it's team leaders next season (though, we don't know yet what riders are joining next season, so I might be speaking a little too early).
  • ReplyReply

•