collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10576
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: Tao Geoghegan Hart Q & A
« on: June 02, 2016, 09:00 »
Q2 Axel has amazing success with the team not just in performance but getting tiders ready for WT.

Why is that can you explain how the team is set up with coaching management etc

The staff are the mainstay of the team. It obviously operates in a development capacity, with solely u23 riders, meaning there is a very high turnover year on year. As such, the staff are the constant factor that ensure the ethos and dynamic of the team is passed on from year to year.

Coaching is left to the rider, which is think is a good thing as it takes away the restrictions of being fixed to one team assigned coach. I would say it's definitely not uncommon for a rider to change coaches during this stage of their career's, which I think is a good thing as it give the chance to experience different methods and approaches.

Finally the programme is a huge part of the team, combining top level pro racing in the States with lower level .2 races in Europe and also u23 races. This gives a wide variety across the year, with insight into the (huge) differences between those three types of racing.

Q4 I assume when signing for a WT team you would be looking at who/want team is going to be help me develop as a rider, what sort of rider ie ( puncher/classics/GC etc ) do you think you are now and what if different you hope to develop into ? What are the goals for the 1st 2-3 years and long term?

I'd like to think I am quite a versatile rider, with results across the spectrum of different races. That is something I aim to continue, while obviously trying to hone my strengths that thus far have seemed to lie in hillier races.

Q5 If you had to race only in one country for the rest of your career, where would it be?

I think it would probably be Italy. But Belgium would be a close second, as I love the variety of racing there, not to mention it's a place I spent a great deal of my youth and junior days racing.

Q6 Which was your hardest day on the bike in a US race?

Not necessarily the hardest day, but the stage of USAPro Challenge that started in Aspen was a good one, there were about 15 guys left in the front by the top of Independance Pass, an hour in to the race.

The Salt Lake City > Snowbird stage of Utah is definitely a good one too, climbing almost all day and up to some serious altitude, it's alway pretty interesting up the first climb out of SLC, straight out the blocks.

Q7 Following in the footsteps of Robbie McEwen - who also passed up his first offer to turn pro and waited another year ... do you think that the extra year in development will help you overall?   How important is that basic grounding before turning pro?

I hope so. I think it's about looking at the long term. Nobody remembers what you do now in five years, or even really when you step up to a big team. In fact in some ways I think you start from 0 every season in some ways. In light of that I think it's important to consider the long term of your career and equally longevity of it too, taking every step one at a time, whilst continuously striving for progression beyond that step.

Q9 Where does Tao see himself in 5 years time and what does he see as the main steps (objectives) in progression to arrive there?

I'd like to progress into a professional team, that is the first step. Past that it will be about settling in, adapting to the consistently higher level races and finding my place in the team to work up from.

In 5 years I would like to a valued and key element of my team, having progressed year on year from today. Past that I think to some degree anything is possible, so I will continue to simply aim for the top and see where that ambition can take me.

Q11 What does he see as the main differences, if any, between riding in the peloton in the US and Europe?

The size of the roads and the lack of road furniture in the States.

Q12 Continental level cat hearder, manager, physio, soigneur, ex-soldier, and frequent traveler. I've been to 45 countries and I am only (currently) banned from 1.
from Reed McCalvin Twitter Bio

Seems a pretty funny guy and has been important a quiet a few riders careers aka Taylor Phinney what he like and how important is he to the team and you?

As I said earlier the staff are the key element of the year, not the riders. Reed is an integral part of that group of Staff, and prides himself on doing as much as he can for his riders. I think that is very humbling for an athlete, seeing the lengths to which someone will go to support.

Q13 I wonder if he's heading for the Tour de Savoie Mont Blanc next month & what are his plans for the rest of the year?

I will indeed be racing in Savoie. Something I am looking forward to as I have never done a 2.2 level race, with much climbing in, in Europe. So it should be interesting. I'll be racing Roubaix u23 after California, a race with the British national team and then the British nationals after Savoie, before taking a break and rebuild period in July. Thereafter the year is still in its planning phase but I'll be hoping to line up in Utah, L'Avenir and the Tour of Britain.

Thanks Tao

All questions were sent even yours H but the interviewed person always has right to refuse

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014