collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3291
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
spectators
« on: May 22, 2016, 02:55 »
seriously specatotrs annoy me at the best of times ...

but last night (stage 14 giro) ... losers who bring smoke cannisters ... idiots who push the riders ... general stupidity

and this

https://www.facebook.com/SBSCyclingCentral/videos/10154165290908427/

the moto appeared to try and herd the guy off the road, but he tripped - doesnt appear to be seriously hurt, but its only a matter of time before either a cyclist or spectator is seriously injured because spectators cannot be respectful and STAY OFF THE F****** ROAD !!!!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10449
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: spectators
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 05:43 »
    These people are not spectators inho just people at a bike race looking for their 15 min of fame
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 10:27 »
    The Dolomites are the new Mt Baldy.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 609
    « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 20:23 »
    It's getting worse. Its the people running alongside. Its the people letting off flares. its the people with their fancy cameras positioning themselves on bends to get the best photo who force riders off the line that they'd want to take through the corner.

What the moto rider did with the bloke in the cat suit might not have been the safest way to deal with the problem but it did get the job done of clearing him out of the way.
  • ReplyReply

• Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 326
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 21:32 »
    Beno made a sly dig about all the cyclists with asthma at the time, but there's a grain of truth in there. I never found out that I had asthma until I was near my limit on a climb and a chuggy old diesel came past. Even if they don't have asthma it's just unfair on the rider who happens to come past while the flare is going. It's too much now, it's gone from running the risk of affecting the race to just straight up affecting the race.

I'm not a violent person, but I do so long for those clowns to get cuffed - is that so bad? You can see it in real time, they're jogging alongside and it's so easy to see when they start to flag, the footfall gets irregular, they're swaying from side to side. For races this big I think you just need some police ready to stop this from happening.

JSG has the truth of the matter - not fans, just attention seekers. The other remedy I can think is that the TV director just cuts the feed to another camera if it's getting dangerous. Of course that would affect the race coverage, but I think you have to do something.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1421
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 21:34 »
     There are not many people in this world that I would happily hit, but these clowns are beginning to make my blood boil.
    Running within inches of riders. past bodies and legs without a thought to what might happen should they trip.
    Today, they compounded that by getting between Nibali and the Astana car when it needed to get through.
    Then the Tinkoff car was forced to stop in the road, which in turn blocked Sergey Firsanov's progress.
    Yesterday, we had one goon running uphill with Amador, holding a smoke flare within cms of his face!
     The potentially disastrous combination of too much drink and excitement, and too little common sense, seems to have become obligatory.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Sizzle

• Owner of Liquigas & Garmin
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 143
    • Vale Craig1985
    « Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 02:41 »
    It indeed seems likely someone will meet a messy end with a motor vehicle the way things are going. And I can't think of anything worse than inhaling smoke when I'm pushing my body to its limits and sucking in all the oxygen possible.

With luck the riders will start punching them as a matter of course and the message will start getting across.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Man Down - Injury Reports 2017 by AG
    [Today at 01:27]

Re: Le Tour de Bretagne Cycliste by LukasCPH
    [April 25, 2017, 23:14]

Re: Velorooms/Fendrien Podcast by LukasCPH
    [April 25, 2017, 23:06]

Re: Tour de Romandie by search
    [April 25, 2017, 22:40]

Re: Tour de Romandie by t-72