• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3363
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Re: Athletics
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2013, 19:51 »
Asafa Powell - Jamaica - Former 100 world record holder
Tyson Gay - USA - US 100m record holder, second fastest man in history
Nesta Carter - Jamaica - One of only five women in history to run under 9.8 seconds
Sherone Simpson - Jamaica - Olympic medal winner at 4x100m

Two more jamaicans to come allegedly.

Last month
Veronica Campbell Brown - Jamaica - Olympic Champion

• ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #61 on: July 14, 2013, 19:52 »
    Five Jamaicans positive so far.

Usain Bolts agent says that Bolt is not among them

Usain Bolt is a £100 million a year business.

No one is ever going to sabotage that.  His sponsors could each offer about £5 million to cover up a positive test and still come out in profit.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8840
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #62 on: July 14, 2013, 20:53 »
    "Tyson Gay has been tested positive. Therefor he cancelled his participation in the upcoming athletics world championships in Moskow"

as reported in german tv :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5722
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #63 on: July 14, 2013, 21:02 »
    The same German TV that can't mention cycling without going into a 30-minute rant about doping?
    Had this been Alexis Vuillermoz (I don't think he dopes, he's just an example of one of the riders that nobody who isn't into cycling would ever have heard of) they would be all over it.

A former 100 m world record holder (so comparable in status to, say, Petacchi) tests positive, and they make that out of it?
    Idiots. :hb
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #64 on: July 14, 2013, 21:04 »
    The same German TV that can't mention cycling without going into a 30-minute rant about doping?

yeh, it was in the Tagesschau, on ARD
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #65 on: July 14, 2013, 21:13 »
    Watched it myself now (wonderful what you can do nowadays).
    "Therefore he cancelled his participation in the world championships" - honestly. :fp

I guess the guy writing the news for the show has no idea about doping, and simply copied what they got off the news agencies, but that doesn't make it much better. As if Gay had been allowed to compete under any circumstances at all.
    Clearly this is a case of a positive A test, therefore not finalized yet.

But I stand by my point: Would Vuillermoz (sorry Alexis) have a positive A test for anything during the Tour, they'd be over it like vultures.
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #66 on: July 14, 2013, 21:21 »
    Expanded thread title for all track athletes that pop +.

New test, improved test, new substance not as safe as advertised, or fluke? Not sure what we're looking at yet, but I tend not to bet on fluke.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 181
    « Reply #67 on: July 14, 2013, 21:40 »
    Don't know about Gay yet but Simpson and Powell were popped for oxilofrine which seems to have been able to be detected for a while, with VCB failing and rumours of some more on the way is it more targeted testing on the Jamaicans?
      Lack of "friendly" Jamaican anti doping testing ?  Turn a blind eye to the can of drink full of urine trick ? 

I hope not, I sincerely hope better testing or a drug not being as clean as hoped but at least we can be grateful that some were caught.

I go along with the Hitch.  Bolt is humungous business and they could pay somebody to drive a motorbike into the testing shed to destroy the sample whilst it is being taken. 
  • ReplyReply

• labratty

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #68 on: July 14, 2013, 23:23 »
    I had missed this until I saw it mentioned in today's story,  about 30 Turks caught too  :slow

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/athletics-turkish-athletes-targeted-anti-doping-investigators-151359262.html

• ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #69 on: July 14, 2013, 23:51 »
    A former 100 m world record holder (so comparable in status to, say, Petacchi) tests positive, and they make that out of it?
    Idiots. :hb

Dont underestimate how big Powell used to be. He was 1 of the biggest sportstars in the world. Especially after Gatlin positive 2005 there were 2 years till the 07 worlds where he was favorite, where he dominated the sport. Set a wr first of 9.77 then down to 9.73. The wr before used to go down by 0.01 or 2 every time so for him to take 0.05 out of everyone made him a mega superstar and the biggest show in town right up to the point that he choked in the final in Osaka i think it was.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #70 on: July 15, 2013, 02:53 »
    Yes, it is refreshing.

I know absolutely zero about athletics but I do recognise this guy by name at least.

Seems like there's been quite a few athletics positives lately (particularly in Russia) and didn't they also implement the bio-passport recently?

Interesting times. Good progress achieved quickly. Apparently not afraid to drop a big name too.

Bio Passport? they could start with out of season testing.
    few years ago now but always found the explanation of how easy it was to cheat fascinating

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/athletics/7403158.stm

• ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #71 on: July 15, 2013, 02:56 »
    I had missed this until I saw it mentioned in today's story,  about 30 Turks caught too  :slow

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/athletics-turkish-athletes-targeted-anti-doping-investigators-151359262.html

Obviously they do have a passport now and is working. Interesting that it is based on a month before, given how slowly cycling passport cases seem to progress. must have been pretty substantial changes. will be interesting for sport in general is passports become the accepted norm for doping cases.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #72 on: July 15, 2013, 08:58 »
    Dont underestimate how big Powell used to be. He was 1 of the biggest sportstars in the world.
    Hey, I have no idea about athletics.
    Maybe he'd be closer to an Evans, Contador or Schleck in cycling terms. Which makes the low-key reaction from the media even more ridiculous.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #73 on: July 15, 2013, 09:03 »
    Gay - hugely disappointing, was a fan of his, has been in great form, and hopefully was going to push Bolt very close in the WC.  Although as my paper put it this morning, his form, thought to be down to being injury free for the first time in several years, now seems to have been due to more sinister reasons.

Powell (and other Jamaican's in general) - the whole island has been dodgy for years, poor testing regimes and a long history of doping. 

As the OP said, sprinters testing positive is not a surprise at all, and there is quite a large part of me that delights in seeing another sport dragged through the gutter.  However, reading about it this morning and listening on the radio, the level of outrage seems far lower than one might expect, as if this is a one off (which it obviously isn't) - so still a way to go for the rest of the world to wake up and realise that doping pervades sport.
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #74 on: July 15, 2013, 09:05 »
    Maybe he'd be closer to an Evans, Contador or Schleck in cycling terms. Which makes the low-key reaction from the media even more ridiculous.

Powell and Gay are a level above every cyclist there is at the moment, I'd say
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #75 on: July 15, 2013, 10:23 »
    I didn't mean to compare Gay or Powell to cyclists in terms of recognition, prestige and whatnot. I wanted to make a comparison regarding what the magnitude of this affair would be if it had been in cycling.

Or, in simpler terms: I have no idea about athletics! :P
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #76 on: July 15, 2013, 11:24 »
    In cycling, that would be if Contador, Nibali, Rodriguez and Valverde were caught at the same time - i.e. many of the candidates for the biggest races except for the currently dominant one (Froome or Bolt).

So yes, it's pretty big.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #77 on: July 15, 2013, 11:37 »
    It is a total farce. Slowly but surely Athletics is being outed and credit to WADA etc for that, but with all the information coming out it is ridiculous that this is not instant front page stuff.

I haven't seen the paper this morning, but the chances of it even making one of the first 4 backpage pages.. very unlikely.

(Ok, so cricket will dominate, but still ridiculous)
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #78 on: July 15, 2013, 12:25 »

Yep. Certainly in my neck of the woods everyone knew who Powell was. I doubt anyone knew who any of those cyclists were.

Who would it be as a cyclist? Tyson gay- Evans. Asafa Powell - valverde (had piti not been caught the first time). Nestor crater- Sylvain chavanel. Vcb- Emma pooley.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #79 on: July 15, 2013, 12:34 »
    Also apparently more positives to come from us today. 

Basically a guy who 2 days ago said on letsrun.com there would be a major positive on Sunday says there are more to cone on Monday.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #80 on: July 15, 2013, 14:01 »
    Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 2h
    Italian police found more than 50 different medicines in room of Asafa Powell and of other members of Jamaica team training at Lignano
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #81 on: July 15, 2013, 14:05 »
    okay, I was already wondering how this could happen - but obviously it was not down to the work of the jamaican anti doping agency

Edit: but I just saw Powell tested positive at the Jamaican Championships, so this thing in italy is a different story?!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #82 on: July 15, 2013, 14:16 »
    That all sounds like athletics are living through 1997-2009 (in cycling terms) in just a week.
    This is their Festina affair, Contador positive and Giro searching of team hotels all in one.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #83 on: July 15, 2013, 14:28 »
    That all sounds like athletics are living through 1997-2009 (in cycling terms) in just a week.
    This is their Festina affair, Contador positive and Giro searching of team hotels all in one.

Nah, they already had all those things. This is all those things happening again in 1 week ;)
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #84 on: July 15, 2013, 15:14 »
    i know it's kind of a new thing but could an admin merge this thread with the athletics darkside thread
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #85 on: July 15, 2013, 15:54 »
    Yep. Certainly in my neck of the woods everyone knew who Powell was. I doubt anyone knew who any of those cyclists were.

Who would it be as a cyclist? Tyson gay- Evans. Asafa Powell - valverde (had piti not been caught the first time). Nestor crater- Sylvain chavanel. Vcb- Emma pooley.

Tyson Gay - Andrei Greipel
     Asafa Powell - Marcel Kittel
    Nestor Carter - Emma Pooley
    Sherone Simpson  - Tyler Farrar
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #86 on: July 15, 2013, 16:58 »
    Tyson Gay - Andrei Greipel
     Asafa Powell - Marcel Kittel
    Nestor Carter - Emma Pooley
    Sherone Simpson - Tyler Farrar

Was more about what their role in the sport is.

Gay, Evans, used to be really good, had their moment on top, now in decline. Always blame injuries ;)

Powell, valverde, world number 1 for long time, but always choke at the big one

Carter chavanel. Good. Been around for a long time. Performed when they had to. Never the best.

Simpson, pooley,- good. Not Marianne vos.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #87 on: July 15, 2013, 16:59 »
    We are agreed on Sherone Farrar then :D
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #88 on: July 15, 2013, 17:24 »
    Nice inforgraphic from LEquipe. Looks a lot like the ones done in cycling with armstrong shown as beating lots of dopers.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #89 on: July 15, 2013, 17:47 »
    Spooky.. athletics 100m v 2000 tour pre USADA decision

take off armstrong, and possibly Nesta Carter and the 2000 tour was cleaner than athletics :woohoo
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.