collapse

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3256
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
2017 Teams and Licences
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:43 »
The UCI's system of dates for announcing rider contracts and team licences has remained resolute over the last few years in the face of it being totally ignored by almost everybody. In fact, the "silly season" of rumours, half-confirmations and CyclingNews "exclusives" seems to start earlier every year.

And this year it seems to be somehow sillier, as well!

Big name rider retirements freeing up budgets, Uncle Oleg putting us out of our misery and himself out to pasture, rumours of at least one rich Spaniard starting a team. Bjarne[1]. Nibali, linked with every team under the sun. Sky, with enough money to buy the sun. And yet, even Swiss bankers can't find co-sponsors.

Between now and when we find out the licences for next season[2], we will hear it all. And in true Velorooms style, the only way to keep track of this is in an enormous CSV table.

Let the silly season commence...

WORLD TOURPRO-CONTINENTAL
CONFIRMED FOR 2017NONE YET #unknownNONE YET #unknown
2016 TEAMS *frAG2R LA MONDIALE #ag2r *itANDRONI GIOCATTOLI-SIDERMEC #androni
*kzASTANA #astana *itBARDIANI CSF #bardiani
*usaBMC #bmc *deBORA-ARGON 18 #bora
*usaCANNONDALE #cannondale *esCAJA RURAL-SEGUROS RGA #cajarural
*zaDIMENSION DATA #dimension *plCCC SPRANDI POLKOWICE #ccc
*beETIXX-QUICK STEP #etixx *frCOFIDIS #cofidis
*frFDJ #fdj *frDELKO MARSEILLE #marseille
*nlGIANT-ALPECIN #giant *frDIRECT ENERGIE #direct
*ruKATUSHA #katusha *frFORTUNEO-VITAL CONCEPT #fortuneo
*itLAMPRE-MERIDA[1] #lampre *brFUNVIC SOUL CYCLES #funvic
*nlLOTTONL-JUMBO #jumbo *ruGAZPROM-RUSVELO #gazprom
*beLOTTO-SOUDAL #lotto *itNIPPO-VINI FANTINI #nippo
*esMOVISTAR #movistar *gbONE PRO CYCLING #onepro
*auORICA-GREENEDGE #orica *nlROOMPOT #roompot
*gbSKY #sky *deSTOLTING #stolting
*usaTREK-SEGAFREDO #trek *usaNOVO NORDISK #novonordisk
*chROTH #roth
*beTOPSPORT VLAANDEREN-BALOISE #topsport
*usaUNITEDHEALTHCARE #uhc
*plVERVA-ACTIVEJET #verva
*beWANTY-GROUPE GOBERT #wanty
*itWILIER TRIESTINA-SOUTHEAST #southeast
TEAMS OUT *chIAM CYCLING #iam *auDRAPAC?[2] #drapac
*ruTINKOFF #tinkoff
TEAMS IN *bhTEAM BAHRAIN?[1] #lampre *beVERANDAS-WILLEMS?[7] #verandas
*noTEAM HUSHOVD?[3] #champno *ptBENFICA?[8] #unknown
*esTEAM ALONSO?[4] #unknown
*esTEAM CONTADOR?[5] #unknown
*qaTEAM QATAR?[6] #unknown

NOTES
[1] https://twitter.com/Velorooms/status/735462479845855232
[2] Possibly merging with #cannondale; Vaughters/Drapac also launching *au registered CONT team.
[3] Looks unlikely for 2017
[4] Because no list of team rumours would be complete without the mythical Team Alonso.
[5] https://twitter.com/cyclingnieuws1/status/735030639515295744
[6] https://twitter.com/inrng/status/735715258933727232
[7] #verandas want to go PCT in 2017/2018
[8] Team rumoured; apparently targetting races in *fr and *lu, so would probably have to be PCT
 1. He gets a sentence all of his own; the grammatical construction is all in the subtext
 2. Likely to be about a fortnight before the Tour Down Under starts...
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 14:17 by LukasCPH »
    He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: 2017 Teams and Licences Silly Season
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:47 »
    Bahrain and Contador seem to make the most sense at this stage
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5913
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:11 »
    Bahrain and Contador seem to make the most sense at this stage
    From what I can see now, Contador & Basso will team up with de Jongh and Feltrin to put together an Italy/Ticino-based team around Contador & his folks plus Majka. I'm sure they'd love to keep Sagan and his entourage, but I don't see it happening.

There's been almost zero news about the Bahrain Cycling Team since their announcement in February. In an environment that is so prone to gossip as cycling that's hard to explain by the sheiks being tight-lipped - it's more likely to me that the whole thing isn't going to happen. Or, if it is, Roberto Amadio (Basso's team manager at Liquigas/Cannondale 2008-2014) will bring it all together for a Bahrain-Specialized-Contador(-Sagan/Nibali) mega-team.

*pt BENFICA?[6]  #unknown

[6] Team rumoured; apparently targetting races in *fr and *lu, so would probably have to be PCT
    With the new, more relaxed rules about Conti teams in HC races they could start at that level and step up only after a (couple of) year(s) to get settled.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:01 by LukasCPH »
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32 »
    With the new, more relaxed rules about Conti teams in HC races they could start at that level and step up only after a (couple of) year(s) to get settled.

It's a fair point. It still depends whether they really do launch a new team, or just sponsor an existing Portuguese squad. There has been nothing about it since January. Although, Rui Costa recently said this, about a possible return to the team where he made his professional debut:

"Se houvesse uma equipa portuguesa que abrangesse o calendário ProTour, quem sabe?"
    "If there were a Portuguese team that covered the ProTour calendar, who knows?"
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 14:52 »
    Added a note re: Lampre/Bahrain "exclusive"[1]

https://twitter.com/Velorooms/status/735462479845855232
     1. It's on CN, I assume it's an exclusive...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 17:47 »
    Added a note re: Lampre/Bahrain "exclusive"[1]
     1. It's on CN, I assume it's an exclusive...
    Benson is usually not one to write outrageous rumours if there isn't at least a hint of truth to them.

If Contador-Basso-Feltrin-de Jongh team up with Bahrain-Erzen-Amadio who team up with Lampre-Merida/Specialized-Copeland-Saronni, we'd have a new super-team on par with Sky, Astana or Movistar.

However, this would mean that Bahrain takes the WT spot of #lampre - meaning that the spot now occupied by #tinkoff is still up for grabs (nevermind the #iam spot).
    #bora will probably go for it, but who else? #onepro would need a massive strengthening; #ccc have voiced interest in WT status, but would also need to go shopping for riders. Other than that, I don't really see any current PCTs that could/should make the jump. Look where it got #iam ...

It might eventually be that it was never as easy to get into the WT as this year ... and with a guaranteed 3-year license, at that. Sponsors should be lining up with open purses!
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3852
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 20:26 »
    I wrote this post late last night (so please excuse any typos or mistakes) but my internet connection was dodgy so could not post

First of all, I should say I am not at all convinced there will really be a "Team Contador" in 2017. To me, it seems like it is too late now. First, in February, they gave themselves 45 days to secure a sponsor budget of 15 to 20 million euros. Then, they said they had found some potential sponsors but just needed the final confirmation. They set the deadline at the end of the Giro. And now (granted, not from Alberto or his brother) we hear that the team is almost a done deal and that we will hear more news before the Tour.

If the team is finally confirmed in June/July, how are they going to form a strong enough team? Most of the available big names will already have a verbal agreement with a team. Of course, with Tinkoff and IAM folding, plenty of riders will be on the market, so it should be no issue to fill the team. However, the team needs strong(-ish) co-leaders if it wants to be a competitive WT-team, which is what they are aiming for. Just Alberto with 15 domestiques and 10 young talents won't do.
    But this is of course an issue many potential new teams encounter. You have to be able to offer riders some form of certainty for them to commit to your project. For such guarantees you need sponsors, but those sponsors will be reluctant to commit if they don't know what kind of riders will ride for your team and if the team will be competitive. So, to reach an agreement with riders, you need sponsors, and for sponsors, you need agreements with riders. It's a complicated issue.

It is of course possible to put riders 'on hold'; i.e. ask them if they would want to ride for the team in case it is formed, but from a certain point during the season they are free to do as they like because they obviously can't wait forever for a team that may not even come to exist. The issue here is that not many riders would be inclined to wait even a short while: let's say you are Diego Rosa and you are offered a 3-year contract worth 2.5mln euros by Team Sky, but you also have some sort of "verbal agreement" with a team that may or may not be formed depending on the sponsors - would you wait and risk Team Sky saying "screw you, we never wanted you anyway, we'll sign someone else instead" or do you jump at the opportunity?

Of course, it is not strange to think that in this case, it might not have been as complicated as above:

- Potential sponsors would have the absolute guarantee that at least one very large name would ride for the team they sponsor. Alberto is arguably one of the best GT racers ever and he might very well win the biggest race in the world this year. Many teams would kill to have such a rider. This is a very handy tool to use in negotiations. Having him in your team means guaranteed success and, more important for sponsors, guaranteed media exposure. This could make potential sponsors more likely to commit to the project.

- Alberto has many connections within the sport, with sponsors, riders, ex-riders, team owners, team staff etc. which is a huge advantage in two ways: i) sponsors that already know him/have sponsored him or one of the teams he raced for in the past, could be more willing to sponsor his team and ii) riders who are friends of Alberto or have a lot of respect for him could be more likely to (provisionally) agree to race for the team than they would for a different new project.

- Alberto’s youth teams (junior and U23) already have several sponsors and providers, obviously. Rh+ and Polartec are the title sponsors and as providers they have Look, Rotor, Prologo, Etixx, Citroën and several others. Rh+ and Polartec aren’t big enough to be title sponsors for a WT team, but they could provide the necessary base which would make a big-name sponsor more likely to jump in as well. And, there’s this old man as well:

Remi de Moor, a Belgian multi-millionaire with a big passion for cycling (and Fabian Cancellara :P ), who in the past has privately sponsored Saxobank and is also involved in the Fundación Contador project as a sugardaddy.
    Of course it won’t be easy to set up a team, it’s never easy, many have tried and failed *cough* Alonso *cough*, but I am convinced that if you have something to offer to sponsors at least you have a bigger chance. You can’t just say, look, I want to set up a team and need your money, but so far I have absolutely nothing.

Now, I would like to write something about another possible scenario: Alberto and Ivan buying an existing license.
    What we know right now is that two teams will cease to exist at the end of the year: IAM and Tinkoff. Both, allegedly, have a valid WT license through 2017 and possibly even beyond.
    Oleg has already said he is open to selling his license, however, (IIRC) he asked 6 million euros. This seems like a lot to ask from a sponsor that is not (yet) fully committed. “Yes, we want 10 million euros per annum, but oh, we also need 6 million to buy a license from Tinkov”. I also don’t expect Alberto to personally pay that sum, that seems ridiculous.

Perhaps, Oleg will give Alberto and Ivan a discount or even offer them the license for free, but somehow that does not seem like something Oleg would do at all. He’s a ruthless businessman and I don’t think he is the best of buddies with Alberto either, at least not to the extent that he would set aside his standards and do something very unlike him.
    I guess Alberto could make a deal and say, if I win the Tour, I get the license :D
    But let’s say they buy the license. As far as I can recall, there are 5 riders with contracts beyond 2016: Majka, Peter and Juraj and the neo-pros Baska and Gogl. I assume their contracts would be void if the team folds, but I think if the license is bought, the contracts will still be in place. That could mean two things:

1) Those riders, most importantly Majka and Sagan, will race for “Team Contador (and Basso :P)”
    2) They will ride for a different team but this means their contracts would have to be bought out.
    For some reason, I don’t see neither Majka nor Sagan staying on the team if they are offered a choice. Majka wants to lead and won’t be happy with another 2 years in Alberto’s shadow and Sagan also wants a team fully dedicated to him. Fair enough, I say. This offers a nice opportunity to earn back the money that was spent on the license. Sagan wants to bring his brother and Baska to another team, so a nice sum can be asked for these 3. Perhaps a team would be willing to pay a bit for Majka as well. Gogl, I’m afraid, won’t be as popular on the market, but then he can stay :P

Anyway, I think IAM is the cheaper option and I’ve read that all IAM riders only had contracts till 2016. However, I can’t wrap my head around Alberto buying IAM’s license, it just does not make any sense to me.

As for what Fus posted:
    From what I can see now, Contador & Basso will team up with de Jongh and Feltrin to put together an Italy/Ticino-based team around Contador & his folks plus Majka. I'm sure they'd love to keep Sagan and his entourage, but I don't see it happening.
    Teaming up with De Jongh could be possible. De Jongh wanted to set up his own team, but said that he would be open to combining their plans if neither of them could find sufficient sponsor support.
    Feltrin has always seemed like a sockpuppet for Oleg to me. I don’t see him involved in the Berto & Basso (B&B) project but who knows. I also don’t think Majka would be part of this team as I already wrote above.

. Or, if it is, Roberto Amadio (Basso's team manager at Liquigas/Cannondale 2008-2014) will bring it all together for a Bahrain-Specialized-Contador(-Sagan/Nibali) mega-team.
    Yeah.. no :P And now there is talk of Lampre and Bahrain merging.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:28 »
    The way I see it, people would be stupid to buy either license.
    The #tinkoff license, even if it brings Majka, Sagan & co. with it, is prohibitely expensive. 6 million for a piece of paper that says you have a cycling team? If only I could make that a business!
    The #iam license is completely worthless. No riders, presumably no staff - why on earth should you offer anything at all for that?

The UCI has announced that it will award three-year licenses for the whole period of 2017-2019, so I believe both licenses don't go further than this season anyway.[1]

People will say that you'll get a WT license that's otherwise hard to come by ... only this isn't true. Two years ago, #iam were practically begged on bended knee by the UCI; last year it was #didata. With #tinkoff and #iam going out and #lampre possibly being taken over by *bh, 2 out of 18 licenses are up for grabs (that's more than 10%), and only 2-4 applicants for those (4 is being incredibly generous; #bora, #ccc, B&B + A.N.Other).

A 50% percent chance for the regular UCI license fee, or a slightly larger chance for 6 million to Oleg? I know what I would take.
     1. I may be wrong about that; if so, it's because of the UCI's inability to communicate clearly.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 08:17 »
    Where did the Lampre/Conatdor/Bahrain super team come from?

I have only seen Contador-Lampre or Bahrain- Lampre never all 3

Anyway Inrng asked a question this morning which I have been asking myslef, what of the 2017 reforms has been nothing in the press re ASO/UCI discussions
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 09:17 »
    Where did the Lampre/Conatdor/Bahrain super team come from?

I have only seen Contador-Lampre or Bahrain- Lampre never all 3
    My head! :D

Seriously, Contador without a "partner" isn't going to happen. Bahrain without a "partner" that brings some connections in cycling is very unlikely, too.
    To me, it makes sense. Teaming up with one of them would get Lampre a star rider or a lot of money. Bringing them all together would give them both. A problem could be all the various Italian folks in the back office and their possible animosities towards each other.

Lampre-Bahrain: Would give the team funds to keep the current Lampre stars (Rui Costa, Ulissi, Meintjes, Modolo, Mohoric), but little prospect of signing many of the riders on the market, and certainly not any of the stars. Boaro, Gatto, Brändle ... decent riders, but won't make your blood boil.
    Lampre-Contador: Would give you one of the biggest names in cycling (Contador), but from what I've heard, the funds Contador & co. would bring are limited at best. So you'd have to let e.g. Rui Costa go.
    Lampre-Contador-Bahrain: The sheiks bring the money to keep the current stars and add Contador - possibly even Majka as well (he's ridden in Italy as an amateur) as GT leader from 2018 onward. Gatto, Boaro etc. would still be possible signings, in addition to any Lombard youngsters that Basso can ensnare. Could become a team with too many chiefs and too few indians, though, and would require lots of man-management.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 09:27 »
    And where does Nibali come into all of this? So far, all that seems certain is that he'll leave Astana[1].

Lampre + Bahrain would secure Costa et al., Nibali and his entourage, and possibly the cream of the IAM crop. But leave no room for Contador or Basso.

Contador + Basso + Bahrain would secure Majka... and he would get at least Giro leadership[2]. On top of that, the majority of the current Tinkoff team could stay, with Sagan heading to Astana. Flo makes a great point about "selling" Sagan's contract. That would certainly cover some of the administrative/set-up costs, whether or not the money goes into Uncle Oleg's pocket or not.

And then... just when you thought it couldn't get any sillier...

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/735715258933727232

:fp :fp :fp  :lol
     1. And based on current form, that may come with a parting gift of concrete boots and a trip to the bottom of the Yesil river.
     2. Fat lot of good that's doing him at the moment
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 10:03 »
    Contador + Basso + Bahrain would secure Majka... and he would get at least Giro leadership[1].
     1. Fat lot of good that's doing him at the moment
    Yes, it would make more sense for Contador/Basso(/Feltrin) to team up directly with Bahrain. Would leave Lampre in a bit of a quandary, but that won't be their problem. :P

Merida, as majority owner of Specialized (who have both Contador and Nibali on their books), might want to have a say in that. E.g. "Team up with 'our team' (Lampre) or lose the money you get from Specialied"; and that would be a lot, I think - not many bike brands willing to cough up the same amount. On the other hand, if you get Contador and/or Nibali as brand ambassador, they might (and Lampre-Merida are none the better off).

And then... just when you thought it couldn't get any sillier...

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/735715258933727232

:fp :fp :fp  :lol
    Ho-hum. I don't know, Ciro.
    Sometimes he pulls stuff like this out of his hat, and the white rabbit turns out to be a hamster with dyed fur and enlarged ears.
    But sometimes it's a beautiful rabbit.

Not sure on this, I'll need more information than a one-liner.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 10:18 »
    Yes - it will be interesting to see how the role of Specialized plays out in all of this.

Of course - the whole thing could take another turn: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lampre-and-merida-renew-sponsorship-of-worldtour-team/. Both Lampre and Merida are signed up until the end of this season, but I've seen nothing about further renewals.

14 riders, significantly not including Costa or Ulissi, are signed on for 2017, but it is far from certain how this story ends.

Ho-hum. I don't know, Ciro.
    Sometimes he pulls stuff like this out of his hat, and the white rabbit turns out to be a hamster with dyed fur and enlarged ears.
    But sometimes it's a beautiful rabbit.

Not sure on this, I'll need more information than a one-liner.

It's silly season - some rumours are sillier than others. They all have a home here!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 10:37 »
    Lampre want a GC hope

Costa will be getting told 1 week stage races and 1 day races with Breakaway wins at GT Ulissi I think they have almost signed a deal with
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 10:48 »
    Lampre want a GC hope

Costa will be getting told 1 week stage races and 1 day races with Breakaway wins at GT Ulissi I think they have almost signed a deal with

I think you're right.

Also - I'm not sure that will be an instruction to Costa as much as the result of a sensible discussion. Certainly he won't be challenging for Tour GC this year - I saw an interview[1] where he said that he hasn't ridden a 3-week race for 2 years, and he'd rather be remembered for winning a stage than forgotten for finishing 8th[2].

I have also seen quotes from Lampre leadership suggesting that while they would like to have a GC leader, a sprinter and Costa, there just may not be the budget for it.
     1. I might have posted it elsewhere already, but I can't remember
     2.  Anybody..?
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 11:18 »
    I'm a bit lost at the moment. So we have:
    • Project Bahrein, rumoured with Bianchi as bike sponsor. Nibali almost certain to sign for them, that guy from Liquigas as general manager. Merger with Lampre is possible.
    • Project Contador-Basso. Would have Specialised as bike sponsor probably, but do we know anything else?
    • Project Riis-Saxo Bank. Or is this the same one as Contador? Or did they give up? Haven't heard anything about them lately.
    Plus the more unlikely teams of Norway, Qatar and Alonso (hah). Then there are teams looking to sign a big name: Lampre, Astana and Trek. And Tinkoff and IAM disbanding.

I don't see any reason to buy a license; the UCI  have basically been giving them away to whoever wants one in recent years (to their own detriment as we saw with IAM, but never expect the UCI to learn from a mistake). If all three teams happen, we're in for good times. More likely is the three teams will at best merge with existing teams, creating more superteams and leaving two spots free in the WT.

Theoretically, by the way, it's not even necessary to own a WT license for Bahrein or Contador. Surely the names of Nibali and Contador as winners of multiple GTs are big enough to warrant an invite to whichever race they choose. These megalomanians running the teams probably won't settle for anything less than the highest level so it's unlikely, but it would be a smart option to start with a build-up year, smaller squad and rely on wildcards.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 11:30 »
    Riis project is not linked to Conatdor/Basso project
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 11:32 »
    • Project Bahrein, rumoured with Bianchi as bike sponsor. Nibali almost certain to sign for them, that guy from Liquigas as general manager. Merger with Lampre is possible.
    Bianchi as bike sponsor? Haven't heard that before. I believe they will be quite happy with Kruijswijk if he does hold on to win the Giro, increase their funding for #jumbo and push a couple of young (and cheap) Italians like Battaglin on the team.

• Project Contador-Basso. Would have Specialised as bike sponsor probably, but do we know anything else?
    We don't know anything apart from the Gazzetta story that a team is happening and there'll be more news before the Tour. Which Contador & Basso haven't denied (or commented on) as far as I know.

• Project Riis-Saxo Bank. Or is this the same one as Contador? Or did they give up? Haven't heard anything about them lately.
    Riis-Seier (former CEO of Saxo Bank, but sold his shares some time ago, and the company isn't involved) don't want to build a cycling team. They want to earn money from cycling - that's something entirely different.
    Their long-awaited press conference in February presented a spinning bike and nothing else. Since then, Riis has been linked to just about anyone - because he's Riis -, and he's always commented with "we're in negotiations, but there's nothing signed yet". Which is CEO speak for "no". If Riis-Seier will ever get to put a cycling team together, I don't see it happening for 2017 ... unless Riis pulls the biggest rabbit of all time out of his hat.
    He did do that once before by signing Contador - but then he already had a WT team and just needed a star rider to keep his sponsor on board. This time, he has none of that.

I don't see any reason to buy a license; the UCI  have basically been giving them away to whoever wants one in recent years (to their own detriment as we saw with IAM, but never expect the UCI to learn from a mistake). If all three teams happen, we're in for good times. More likely is the three teams will at best merge with existing teams, creating more superteams and leaving two spots free in the WT.

Theoretically, by the way, it's not even necessary to own a WT license for Bahrein or Contador. Surely the names of Nibali and Contador as winners of multiple GTs are big enough to warrant an invite to whichever race they choose. These megalomanians running the teams probably won't settle for anything less than the highest level so it's unlikely, but it would be a smart option to start with a build-up year, smaller squad and rely on wildcards.
    Bingo. Luckily for the UCI, the oil sheiks and big companies don't realise that, and want a guarantee (=WT license) for 10 million rather than an almost-guarantee (PCT with a mega-star) for 6 million.
    The #cervelo way is, economically, the most sensible thing to do ... but since when have oil sheiks and multinationals' marketing folks been sensible? :P
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 11:39 »
    Bianchi as bike sponsor? Haven't heard that before. I believe they will be quite happy with Kruijswijk if he does hold on to win the Giro, increase their funding for #jumbo and push a couple of young (and cheap) Italians like Battaglin on the team.

Bianchi rumour comes from Sporza. They mentioned that many rumours about the team have been flying around, chief amongst them that Bianchi or Merida (possibly in a merger with Lampre) will be the bike sponsor. They also mentioned some other company names that were rumoured to be involved, but to be honest I forgot those..

Riis-Seier (former CEO of Saxo Bank, but sold his shares some time ago, and the company isn't involved) don't want to build a cycling team. They want to earn money from cycling - that's something entirely different.
    Their long-awaited press conference in February presented a spinning bike and nothing else. Since then, Riis has been linked to just about anyone - because he's Riis -, and he's always commented with "we're in negotiations, but there's nothing signed yet". Which is CEO speak for "no". If Riis-Seier will ever get to put a cycling team together, I don't see it happening for 2017 ... unless Riis pulls the biggest rabbit of all time out of his hat.
    He did do that once before by signing Contador - but then he already had a WT team and just needed a star rider to keep his sponsor on board. This time, he has none of that.

Thanks, didn't know that. So no team from Riis upcoming? That's surprising. I would have thought Riis would fall into a black hole if he didn't have a cycling team to manage.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 11:47 »
    Thanks, didn't know that. So no team from Riis upcoming? That's surprising. I would have thought Riis would fall into a black hole if he didn't have a cycling team to manage.
    He fell into a black hole (depression) when he had a cycling team to manage, that was the main reason he sold to Tinkoff. To go back to 'only' being DS and not have to worry about finances etc.

Most insiders in Denmark don't believe in the Riis-Seier project getting off the ground in terms of a pro cycling team.
    Expensive cycling holidays for CEO types, accompanied by ex-pros, possibly involving visits to pro races, sure; trying to make money with a spinning bike (and failing), sure; trying to re-invent the wheel with regards to getting money out of cycling instead of putting money into cycling, definitely. WT team (Riis won't do any less than that)? Nope, not in the short term.

So far, Riis' name is still big enough for him to be linked speculatively to anything and everything, and that's more or less what he lives on right now. The man never learned anything else than riding a bike, then telling others how to ride a bike.

Even if he wanted to get into a 'proper' business - who would take him? Nah, he has no other choice but to keep the pot with Riis team rumours at a low boil all the time. One day he'll find out that all the water has evaporated ... but that day hasn't come yet.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 11:52 »
    Costa said that he hasn't ridden a 3-week race for 2 years, and he'd rather be remembered for winning a stage than forgotten for finishing 8th[1].
     1.  Anybody..?
    Mancebo? :S
    And I only guessed that because of the Redlands GC jersey.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3485
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 11:54 »
    Riis - signed Michael Rogers as CEO

presser here -  http://www.seiercapital.com/michael-rogers-will-become-the-ceo-of-the-riis-seier-project/
    “We have to accept, that the realization of ideas behind the Riis Seier Project will take time. We have just begun, and we first have to put the business side of the structure in place, and that will require hard work. But we have started opening up discussions with interested parties – both on the business and the cycling side of the project.

sounds like it wont be for 2017
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 22:20 by LukasCPH »

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3852
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 12:05 »
    About Contador/Basso, I am not sure at all that Specialized would be their bike sponsor. Specialized sponsored the junior and U23-Contador teams from (I think) 2013 to 2015, they were even title sponsor of the U23 team for a while, but this year, Look is the bike sponsor.
    I don't think they would choose Look over Specialized so it seems it was Specialized's decision to stop funding the teams.
  • ReplyReply

• Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 349
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 12:14 »
    One thing I think that's worth knowing about the Costa/Lampre relationship is that Lampre's second company division is Lampre Portuguesa. I wonder if Costa's signature is valued not only for his (considerable) ability as a rider, but also for the prestige of having the top 'home' riders for your second home as well as your first.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 12:14 »
    About Contador/Basso, I am not sure at all that Specialized would be their bike sponsor. Specialized sponsored the junior and U23-Contador teams from (I think) 2013 to 2015, they were even title sponsor of the U23 team for a while, but this year, Look is the bike sponsor.
    I don't think they would choose Look over Specialized so it seems it was Specialized's decision to stop funding the teams.

But the personal connection between Spec and Contador might pull things in a different direction.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 12:17 »
    One thing I think that's worth knowing about the Costa/Lampre relationship is that Lampre's second company division is Lampre Portuguesa. I wonder if Costa's signature is valued not only for his (considerable) ability as a rider, but also for the prestige of having the top 'home' riders for your second home as well as your first.

I would say definitely. But then, Lampre didn't send a squad to the Tour of the Algarve - which is their only chance in the season to be on Portuguese roads (unless they get lost during the Vuelta).

Costa's future might well be tied to Lampre - but Lampre's future isn't necessarily tied to this team... as I posted above, the sponsorship supposedly runs out this year.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 12:18 »
    Mancebo? :S
    And I only guessed that because of the Redlands GC jersey.

Nope...  :P

But you've successfully made my (and Rui's) point. So thanks for that!
  • ReplyReply

• Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 349
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 12:37 »
    Yeah - I've never been quite sure what a business-facing coated steel manufacturer really gets out of a cycling sponsorship. Maybe other Italian manufacturers are really swayed by the existence of a pro-cycling team when they come to decide where to buy their coated steel from. Maybe the chairman is just as big a cycling fan as we are, but controls a vastly larger marketing budget.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 13:09 »
    Yeah - I've never been quite sure what a business-facing coated steel manufacturer really gets out of a cycling sponsorship. Maybe other Italian manufacturers are really swayed by the existence of a pro-cycling team when they come to decide where to buy their coated steel from. Maybe the chairman is just as big a cycling fan as we are, but controls a vastly larger marketing budget.

Lampre ? The whole family are mad cycling fans
  • ReplyReply

•