collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5715
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: 2017 Teams and Licences Silly Season
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 22:24 »
Yeah - I've never been quite sure what a business-facing coated steel manufacturer really gets out of a cycling sponsorship. Maybe other Italian manufacturers are really swayed by the existence of a pro-cycling team when they come to decide where to buy their coated steel from. Maybe the chairman is just as big a cycling fan as we are, but controls a vastly larger marketing budget.
The Galbusera family (who own Lampre) are mad cycling fans. Basically they're sugar-daddying the team in the same way as Rihs with BMC or Oleg with Tinkoff. Only difference is that they've been in the sport for over 20 years.[1]

Nope...  :P

But you've successfully made my (and Rui's) point. So thanks for that!
This won't make me rest now. Just who is it?!
 1. first 1991-1995, then continuously from 1999 on - and since 1992 Saronni has been involved as team manager
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 22:40 »

This won't make me rest now. Just who is it?!

Honestly... I've forgotten already. I think he finished 8th in 2000 or 2001. Colombian. Rode for Kelme at the time, I think. Also Phonak. See... I remember all that from my googling, but not his name!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

t-72

• Domestique
    • Liked: 1017
    « Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 22:45 »
    Is it just me or is this a very silly season?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 628
    « Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 23:00 »
    Nope...  :P

But you've successfully made my (and Rui's) point. So thanks for that!

Thats Santiago Botero. How dare you use him to suggest a rider who would anonymously finish in 8th in a race.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #34 on: May 26, 2016, 23:40 »
    Honestly... I've forgotten already. I think he finished 8th in 2000 or 2001. Colombian. Rode for Kelme at the time, I think. Also Phonak. See... I remember all that from my googling, but not his name!
    Ah. That guy. Also world ITT champion once if I'm not mistaken.

But what was his name!?!?
    Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 08:58 »
    Ah. That guy. Also world ITT champion once if I'm not mistaken.

But what was his name!?!?

Thats Santiago Botero. How dare you use him to suggest a rider who would anonymously finish in 8th in a race.

Yes, OK, so not quite the anonymity I was going for...

Perhaps let's imagine it's the year 2030 and I mention Haimar Zubeldia  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 09:24 »

It's the year 2016 now, and I say: Haimar who? :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #37 on: May 27, 2016, 10:36 »

Zubeldia? I thought his name was Majka?
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    « Reply #38 on: May 27, 2016, 20:28 »

ITV interviewed him at the tour last year. No one could be certain it was him though as there had never been a previously confirmed sighting of the mythical Haimar.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #39 on: May 28, 2016, 17:02 »
    Some rumours from the Sporza broadcast today.
    • The normally well-informed Sporza commentators seem quite confident the Qatari team for 2017 will be a thing. It will apparently be sponsored by a Qatari travel company whose name I missed (a bit of googling comes up with Regency Holidays as a big Qatari company that fits the description provided by Sporza), and the manager of that company will become the general manager of the cycling team as well - the first female manager of a WT team. Sporza also mentioned the team has a verbal agreement with a big name rider, and official announcements are forthcoming.
    • Apparently it's pretty much certain Bahrein will ride Merida bikes, yet no talk whatsoever about a merger with Lampre on Sporza.
    • Talk of a merger between Katusha and Gazprom-Rusvelo.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 16:03 »
    Some rumours from the Sporza broadcast today.
    They usually know what they're talking about - the Italians often seem to throw stuff around for the sake of having something to discuss. ;)

• The normally well-informed Sporza commentators seem quite confident the Qatari team for 2017 will be a thing. It will apparently be sponsored by a Qatari travel company whose name I missed (a bit of googling comes up with Regency Holidays as a big Qatari company that fits the description provided by Sporza), and the manager of that company will become the general manager of the cycling team as well - the first female manager of a WT team. Sporza also mentioned the team has a verbal agreement with a big name rider, and official announcements are forthcoming.
    Nibali going to the Middle East - but to *qa instead of *bh?[1]

• Apparently it's pretty much certain Bahrein will ride Merida bikes, yet no talk whatsoever about a merger with Lampre on Sporza.
    This would mean Contador to me. But since I have as much inside info as Beppe Conti[2], I could be very wrong.

• Talk of a merger between Katusha and Gazprom-Rusvelo.
    Huh. Well, why not - it makes sense actually.
    #itera Itera-Katusha isn't around anymore as #katusha Katusha's feeder team, and several of their riders moved to #gazprom Gazprom-RusVelo for 2016.
    Get Firsanov, Foliforov, Nikolaev, Ovechkin ... and you'll "have to honour the contract" with Kolobnev as well.[3] Colnago as new bike provider (instead of Canyon who put all their eggs in the #movistar Quintana basket), might also sign a few Italians. Those Russians not (yet) good enough for a WT ride will be handed off to a new (Conti? ProConti?) feeder team.
     1. granted, the flags are easy to confuse
     2. that is, none
     3. what a sacrifice it'll be
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3791
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #41 on: May 29, 2016, 18:00 »
    Why would Bahrain riding Merida mean Contador will sign with them? If Nibali rides for them (which seems certain) there would be no room for Alberto. And Etixx/Astana would make more sense with the Speshy connection.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    « Reply #42 on: May 29, 2016, 19:47 »
    Why would Bahrain riding Merida mean Contador will sign with them? If Nibali rides for them (which seems certain) there would be no room for Alberto. And Etixx/Astana would make more sense with the Speshy connection.

My thinking on this is with Tinkoff going Specialized will have the sponsorship money for another team if they feel so inclined to stay sponsoring 3 teams. If Merida are definitely going with the Bahrain team it could mean that if Contador goes to Lampre they might become Lampre - Specialized. Part of my thinking here is biased that I just don't see him at either Etixx or Astana again.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #43 on: May 29, 2016, 19:51 »
    Why would Bahrain riding Merida mean Contador will sign with them? If Nibali rides for them (which seems certain) there would be no room for Alberto.
    Nibali could be Qatar's star signing - and Contador the one of Bahrain. Or it could be the other way around. ;)

And Etixx/Astana would make more sense with the Speshy connection.
    Yes. But, and this is important:
    Specialized is owned by Merida. If Merida want to 'take over' one of Specialized's star names, they probably could do so easily.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #44 on: May 29, 2016, 19:57 »
    My thinking on this is with Tinkoff going Specialized will have the sponsorship money for another team if they feel so inclined to stay sponsoring 3 teams. If Merida are definitely going with the Bahrain team it could mean that if Contador goes to Lampre they might become Lampre - Specialized.
    Why does everyone always forget that Merida = Specialized?

Part of my thinking here is biased that I just don't see him at either Etixx or Astana again.
    Definitely, definitely, definitely not. Contador won't sign for either of those. It's more likely that Astana will have to find a new bike sponsor - if Specialized becomes a main sponsor of one of the new *qa *bh teams, they may cut Astana from their portfolio. #etixx have Tony Martin who's rather important to the bike brand - with Nibali gone, #astana have ... Aru and Rosa. Who nobody outside of Italy gives a sh*t about.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    « Reply #45 on: May 29, 2016, 19:57 »
    Specialized is owned by Merida. If Merida want to 'take over' one of Specialized's star names, they probably could do so easily.

Is that right I thought Merida owned 49% of Specialized and Mike Sinyard owned the remaining 51% still. If thats the case its not quite as straight forward as deciding you'll change the sponsorship from one brand you part own to one you fully own.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #46 on: May 29, 2016, 20:18 »
    Fus, why do you suppose Alberto would rather sign for a dodgy desert-based team led by an inhumane Prince that loves torturing people instead of a "normal" team like Etixx or Astana? :?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #47 on: May 29, 2016, 20:21 »
    Is that right I thought Merida owned 49% of Specialized and Mike Sinyard owned the remaining 51% still. If thats the case its not quite as straight forward as deciding you'll change the sponsorship from one brand you part own to one you fully own.
    Hm, yes, I stand corrected.

It's not certain the 51% are all (still) held by Sinyard, though. He may have taken in 'silent partners'.

If I were Merida, I'd say: "Look, you've got all these star names while we have ... Rui Costa and Diego Ulissi. We very strongly suggest that you don't stop either Nibali or Contador from signing with a Merida-equipped team - it won't be to your detriment."
    :shh :angel ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #48 on: May 29, 2016, 20:22 »
    Nibali could be Qatar's star signing - and Contador the one of Bahrain. Or it could be the other way around. ;)
    Or Contador could sign for Etixx, or Astana, or Lampre, or Caja Rural, or BMC, or Sky, or UHC.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    « Reply #49 on: May 29, 2016, 20:26 »
    Or Contador could sign for Etixx, or Astana, or Lampre, or Caja Rural, or BMC, or Sky, or UHC.

I can't believe you actually typed that.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #50 on: May 29, 2016, 20:30 »
    Fus, why do you suppose Alberto would rather sign for a dodgy desert-based team led by an inhumane Prince that loves torturing people instead of a "normal" team like Etixx or Astana? :?
    He already signed for a dodgy semi-desert-based team led by an unrepentant Vino who loves writing 'motivating' letters to people once.
    Then he signed for Riis, and stayed there when a misogynist, racist Russian took over.

I don't think he'd rather sign for *qa or *bh than for #etixx or #astana (how 'normal' those teams are is a different matter). But I believe that Contador won't want to go for another stint with Vino (especially if it's only for one year), and Lefevère will, simple as that, just not be interested.

Going to one of the 'Gulf teams' means he can take all his favourite riders and staff with him, and easily slot into a DS role after his own career is over.

The 'inhumane Prince that loves torturing people' won't necessarily be directly leading the team, anyway.
    He's signing the bills - and could take an Oleg approach (even though Feltrin is the #tinkoff manager, Oleg is pulling all the strings) or an Andy Rihs approach (occasionally giving interviews, but otherwise leaving the running of the #bmc team to the people he's hired for it).
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 21:29 by LukasCPH »

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #51 on: May 29, 2016, 21:19 »
    I can't believe you actually typed that.
    Just throwing some names out there to show how many options there are besides those desert teams :) I actually did a poll on twitter today asking what team we would definitely NOT want to see Alberto sign for, and Sky was overwhelmingly unpopular, beating Bahrain and Tabriz by a landslide :)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #52 on: May 29, 2016, 21:23 »
    He already signed for a dodgy semi-desert-based team led by an unrepentant Vino who loves writing 'motivating' letters to people once.
    Then he signed for Riis, and stayed there when a misogynist, racist Russian took over.

I don't think he'd rather sign for *qa or *bh than for #etixx or #astana (how 'normal' those teams are is a different matter). But I believe that Contador won't want to go for another stint with Vino (especially if it's only for one year), and Lefevère will, simple as that, just not be interested.

Going to one of the 'Gulf teams' means he can take all his favourite riders and staff with him, and easily slot into a DS role after his own career is over.

The 'inhumane Prince that loves torturing people' won't necessarily be directly leading the team, anyway.
    He's signing the bills - and could take an Oleg approach (even though Feltrin is the #tinkoff manager, Oleg is pulling all the strings) or an Andy Rihs approach (occasionally giving interviews, but otherwise leaving the running of the team to the people he's hired for it).
    He supposedly has various offers, I doubt they're just from these projects from countries that love to break every human right in existence.
    I'm sorry, but I rate him higher than that. I'm confident he won't set aside his values for a big bag of filthy oil money. After all, he declined a 4-year contract extension worth 32!! million euros offered to him in 2010 by Astana, because he preferred to ride in a more friendly atmosphere.
    Also, I forgot to mention that his attitude as a racer does not fit in such a team with zero cycling history at all.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 21:35 »
    He supposedly has various offers, I doubt they're just from these projects from countries that love to break every human right in existence.
    I think the human rights record of the team's 'home country' has relatively little to do with his decision.
    I hope he (or anyone else) doesn't sign there; but that's just not realistic.

I'm sure that he'll want to bring along his entourage - Jesús Hernández, Ivan Basso, Patxi Vila (?), Jacinto Vidarte, soigneur, mechanic ... and that may just not be possible at many of the 'established' teams.
    The same is true, possibly to an even greater extent, for Nibali: Paolo Slongo, Valerio Agnoli, Michele Scarponi, Eros Capecchi, soigneur, mechanic ...

After all, he declined a 4-year contract extension worth 32!! million euros offered to him in 2010 by Astana, because he preferred to ride in a more friendly atmosphere.
    Which is why I don't see him signing for Astana under any circumstances now.

You seem to equal the 'Gulf teams' with an inhospitable team atmosphere that you'd only suffer because you're paid heaps of 'filthy oil money'. But, despite the torture allegations of the *bh prince, it could well be that he's the nicest person on earth who sets heaven and earth in motion to fulfil your every wish if you're his new cycling star.
    Just don't start demanding democracy in his home country. :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 22:01 »
    Usually people who don't mind torturing others aren't the nicest guys. I assume it'd be like having a worse version of a permanently drunk Oleg as your boss.

I think the human rights record of the team's 'home country' has relatively little to do with his decision.
    It should. I still have hope some big names will refuse this team's offer for that reason.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 22:09 »
    It should. I still have hope some big names will refuse this team's offer for that reason.
    I very much agree that it should. It's just (sadly) not the world we live in - many people don't care much about where their paycheck comes from.

If you have the choice between "no job" and "that job", only few will go for "no job". And society/politics isn't really helping as many today consider "a job, any job" to be always better than "no job", completely disregarding the circumstances of "any job" and the work environment there.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 910
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 04:00 »
    Usually people who don't mind torturing others aren't the nicest guys. I assume it'd be like having a worse version of a permanently drunk Oleg as your boss.
    Not much of a moral high ground to be had here, though. Cycling did not make Spain a pariah in the Franco era. They have accepted a Kazakh and now an Azeri team happily. Eritrea, the only country comparable to North Korea, is seen as a land of hope for a continent. There is little case against Bahrain considering such.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4691
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 07:36 »
    I'm just waiting, for say, Queen Margrethe or King Harald to set up a cycling team.

I fear I could be waiting some time though.  :(
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 15:56 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-victory-cements-nibalis-role-as-future-leader-of-bahrain-cycling-team/

More details about *bh:
    Nibali as good as confirmed.
    Vladimir Miholjević as team manager.
    Bianchi, Argon 18 and Merida in the bidding as bike sponsor, with Argon 18 having the best cards (already supplying some of the *bh triathletes).

Riders Alessandro Vanotti & Valerio Agnoli, soigneur Michele Pallini, coach Paolo Slongo, press officer Geoffrey Pizzorni and DS Giuseppe Martinelli would all come along with Nibali.
    Other riders linked to the team are #tinkoff Daniele Bennati, #tinkoff Rafał Majka, #bardiani Sonny Colbrelli, #sky Nicholas Roche, #lampre Diego Ulissi.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 540
    « Reply #59 on: May 30, 2016, 16:33 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-victory-cements-nibalis-role-as-future-leader-of-bahrain-cycling-team/

More details about *bh:
    Nibali as good as confirmed.
    Vladimir Miholjević as team manager.
    Bianchi, Argon 18 and Merida in the bidding as bike sponsor, with Argon 18 having the best cards (already supplying some of the *bh triathletes).

Argon18 has a deal with Bora for 2017 too (it was 3 years: 15-16-17)
    well, contracts can be broken, like wilier-lampre, kemo-bretagne, campagnolo-ag2r
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 16:53 by pastronef »