• Liked: 4216
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Three Foot Law
« on: June 11, 2012, 21:00 »
Just saw a large, flashing sign on the side of the road. It read:

WHEN PASSING CYCLISTS
ALLOW AT LEAST THREE FEET
IT'S THE LAW

I wasn't even aware that this had gone into effect, and it must've been recent, hence the sign.
Of course that won't prevent things like this from occurring:
http://www.williamlaramiememorialconcert.org/

Drummer. Cyclist. Dead.
His brother is a bass player who I was in two different bands with for a number of years.
---------------------------

So how about your area? Any similar laws? Wasn't one like this recently rejected in California? (Or was it Australia?)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7946
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Three Foot Law
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32 »
    This has long been the law in both Germany and Denmark (here it is 1 meter, we have none of that imperial nonsense). And it does make a difference - when a car overtakes a cyclist, they normally hold their distance. Even if it's only 80 cm, that's still safe enough.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 842
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 14:57 »
    Not sure what the law.is here but if there is one, the drivers sure do not.stick to it in.my experience.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4216
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 21:26 »
    As much as I applaud the effort here, I've no idea how they plan on enforcing it. I suppose any increase in awareness is a good thing but the biggest offenders, by far, are the idiots on the motorbikes with the big panniers on the side. Always riding two-by-two, side-by-side. Those are the closest calls I've ever had, which is ironic because it's the motorcyclists that make the most fuss about "share the road" and other issues related to their importance.
    And yet they couldn't care less about those of us who turn the pedals.   >:(
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 22:09 »
    I am more concern with speed when overtaking you.
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 700
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 02:30 »
    We have had the 3foot law since 2009 in Colorado...I think...it was a big deal but don't think the drivers are aware of it or pay much attention.

Here is a new story about a bill just signed w/r to hit and run....which also seems to happen a lot  >:( :(

http://303cycling.com/new-hit-and-run-law-gets-signed-in
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 82
    « Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:03 »
    most folks here are good. some are not. they pizz me off. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 213
    « Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 17:09 »
    Be lucky to get 3 inches from passing cars in Italy and but then cyclists* don't give more than 3mm when cutting through the traffic and traffic lights are never obeyed.

I am amazed how few wear helmets in Italy, especailly amongst the young. The large groups( up to 30 riders) of pensioners who go out in groups, most wear helmets, but what is crazy is these guys start during rush hour traffic :fp why not wait 30 mins for the traffic to clear?????

* i am talking about guys in all the gear on their carbon race bikes
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 21:22 »
    Irony when I posted about speed yesterday, usually I avoid such bad luck threads.
    Today just few hours ago I ended in hospital, lot of cuts, bruises, and few stitches on my right ankle, I feel so lucky coz I look like flipping Johny Hoogerland ;D and it hurts a lot.
    Ok, idiot or idiots driving big truck at center on the road, while I am descending with 52km, I break and crash. I am just lucky to avoid direct hit.
    He was avoided those slow down things, and decide to cross on both of them.

Idiot then run, he saw me for sure coz he slow down while I am asking him to stop and do fist fight ;D, bus driver stopped 5 minutes or so, asking me do I need help, and then I saw that truck 100m away looking at me, and again run :wave
    I just don t care at that moments coz I was shocked, but would be at least nice to drive me to hospital, but hit&run I say jail time.
    3foot law is irrelevant here when idiots are behind wheel. :wave
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 22:23 »
    Irony when I posted about speed yesterday, usually I avoid such bad luck threads.
    Today just few hours ago I ended in hospital, lot of cuts, bruises, and few stitches on my right ankle, I feel so lucky coz I look like flipping Johny Hoogerland ;D and it hurts a lot.
    Ok, idiot or idiots driving big truck at center on the road, while I am descending with 52km, I break and crash. I am just lucky to avoid direct hit.

Idiot then run, he saw me for sure coz he slow down while I am asking him to stop and do fist fight ;D, bus driver stopped 5 minutes or so, asking me do I need help, and then I saw that truck 100m away looking at me, and again run :wave
    I just don t care at that moments coz I was shocked, but would be at least nice to drive me to hospital, but hit&run I say jail time.

Tony stay off your bike for a few days and make sure you don't have a concussion or anything!  Did you take yourself to the hospital??  you are lucky indeed
    sorry that truck didn't choose to stay and meet your fists   ;D :tu

You must sleep a lot and give us updates on velorooms...
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 22:28 »
    Tony stay off your bike for a few days and make sure you don't have a concussion or anything!  Did you take yourself to the hospital??  you are lucky indeed
    sorry that truck didn't choose to stay and meet your fists   ;D :tu

You must sleep a lot and give us updates on velorooms...
    Thanks mew, I would be ok :wave
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 23:41 »

I thanked your post not because yo ugot injured but because you're ok! Take care AM, don't get back out there sooner than your body needs.

Some drivers are crazy, no law can stop all bad driving or all accidents.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4186
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 01:35 »
    Glad you are ok Tony.  thats pretty scary
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 04:48 »

Good man, next time take some stones to throw at him. You shouldn't have posted here, it jinxed you. Now get to krabs for your drugs quick.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 08:38 »
    Thanks guys.
    What I am trying to say 8)? Yes, we all made mistakes, I am world champion at it, and would never be 100% positive that I would not made such traffic violation or hit cyclist, but I would never run. Those are things which happens in seconds.
    I did not remember plates, only first two letters KA, so if anyone see white truck with KA letters let me know ;D
    Again thanks, I am ok, pain killers :win
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 82
    « Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 04:24 »
    Thanks guys.
    What I am trying to say 8)? Yes, we all made mistakes, I am world champion at it, and would never be 100% positive that I would not made such traffic violation or hit cyclist, but I would never run. Those are things which happens in seconds.
    I did not remember plates, only first two letters KA, so if anyone see white truck with KA letters let me know ;D
    Again thanks, I am ok, pain killers :win
    painkillers and beer. no, don't do that. get well. how is the bike? :wave
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 08:02 »
    painkillers and beer. no, don't do that. get well. how is the bike? :wave
    Slice did it well, it was wet so few carbon parts are missing, rear mech lever is broken, front skewer, deep wheels are somehow strange looking, but all in all not so bad.
    Dude painkillers are my friends at 4am ;D
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 08:06 »
    Jeez just seen this Tony, and here I was thinking you were indestructible. Look for a white van with ka and a large tony sized dent.

• ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 08:32 »
    Jeez just seen this Tony, and here I was thinking you were indestructible. Look for a white van with ka and a large tony sized dent.
    Well my powers do not works while raining, every super hero has some Achilles' heel, but I am working on it.
    Since then you can call me Mr. Tony Vulnus lacerocontrusum reg. talocruralis dex Excoriationes cutis bradhii sin, as doctor called it :fp
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 03:36 »
    Well my powers do not works while raining, every super hero has some Achilles' heel, but I am working on it.
    Since then you can call me Mr. Tony Vulnus lacerocontrusum reg. talocruralis dex Excoriationes cutis bradhii sin, as doctor called it :fp

jeez  :fp

how are your injuries coming along?
  • ReplyReply

•