collapse

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 7738
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Connect the Dots - Transfer Predictions 2016/17
« on: June 01, 2016, 21:02 »
The 'Transfers and Rumors' thread very much is full of news from other sources. This is a more speculative version of the same thread, asking "who should go where?"

I make it we had three correct predictions last year (though none of them were that surprising).

Can we do better in 2016?
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1042
    Dan Mclay ------->  #onepro
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11131
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Sagan and Gilbert to #astana
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Let's start out in the left field.

Daniel Whitehouse -----------> #onepro

Currently at Terengganu. Only 21, but has been getting some good results on the other side of the world - this year he won the Tour de Flores and came fourth at Banyuwangi Ijen.

He was born in the UK, but has lived in NZ for most of his life. So he'd fit in with a British team who already have a NZ trio.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on in Japan on the Friday/Saturday stages against Daniel J and the Iranians.

https://twitter.com/VeloClubDuNet/status/737600956284600322

• ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 891
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    Hugh Carthy ------> #onepro
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    Dan Mclay ------->  #onepro

Daniel Whitehouse -----------> #onepro

Hugh Carthy ------> #onepro

Where exactly is OnePro going to get the budget for all of these riders?! As much as there is a part of me that would like to see young British riders doing well for a British team, Dan Mclay and Hugh Carthy are prized assets of their respective teams. And I can't see them - Carthy particularly - making a sideways move to stay at PCT level just because OnePro is a British team. For Carthy it would mean losing a shot at a Grand Tour.

So, in the spirit of the thread, I see your Carthy to OnePro and raise you:

Carthy ------> #movistar

Dowsett and Sutherland are there, so he won't be the only anglophone, plus he has already got experience riding in Spain/for the Spanish.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 656

I hope so, at least Sagan.

Nibali to Bahrain with some domestiques
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Nibali to Bahrain with some domestiques

I know we're desperate to improve our strike rate of successful predictions, but I don't think we're allowed transfers that are already nailed on/strongly rumoured.  :lol

I think Coop's original idea for the thread was to predict the transfer before the rumour.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Where exactly is OnePro going to get the budget for all of these riders?!

oh, there's an easy to predict explanation for that:

#onepro GOSS Matthew --> retirement

:P
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Where exactly is OnePro going to get the budget for all of these riders?! Dan Mclay and Hugh Carthy are prized assets of their respective teams.

They may be prized assets, but that doesn't mean either of their current teams has the budget to offer big increases in their contracts. So I can't see the money being a problem for One, but the other stuff, particularly for Carthy, may play a significant part in their decisions.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Some pretty likely (I think anyway) IAM changes.

Pantano ----------> #orica

Coppel -----------> #fdj

Some help for Chaves and the lure of the performance of the FDJ TT bikes.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    oh, there's an easy to predict explanation for that:

#onepro GOSS Matthew --> retirement

:P

Yes, you're probably right...

• ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 656
    Some pretty likely (I think anyway) IAM changes.

Coppel -----------> #fdj

Some help for Chaves and the lure of the performance of the FDJ TT bikes.

:D  :shh  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Porte stays at #bmc Atapuma ----> #greenedge
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President

Atapuma ----> #greenedge

Orica-Coldeportes? Gerry Ryan has been looking for another sponsor for a while...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7399
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Coppel -----------> #fdj

the lure of the performance of the FDJ TT bikes.
    Quoi?!? :o

Time for me to start another rumour:[1]
    Coppel #iam --> #stolting

It's the lure of the Rose TT bikes, and a French rider always helps helps with convincing ASO of something.

:D
     1. Important footnote: This is purely a figment of my own imagination having gone overboard and has absolutely no basis in reality
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Orica-Coldeportes? Gerry Ryan has been looking for another sponsor for a while...

Maybe :D Orica has quiet the Spanish living not all in Girona and speaking base so does help and of course Stevens DS is Spanish speaking
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1042
    I'm hedging my bets with this one by suggesting 2 teams for him but i'm guessing

Kluge ---------->  #giant or  #bora
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2504
    Vanmarcke --> Lotto Belisol #lotto
    Sagan --> Astana #astana
    Costa --> Sky #sky
    Moser --> Bahrein
    Mollema --> Giant Alpecin #giant
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I'm hedging my bets with this one by suggesting 2 teams for him but i'm guessing

I will put my money on
    Kluge #iam --> #giant

Like Geschke, he's from Berlin - that can make the difference.
    Also, "established WT in dire need of German riders" vs. "German PCT with WT ambitions"; #giant is where he'd get the best deal.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    I don't want to see this happen, but...

Raim -------> #cofidis

Estonian history at Cofidis with Joeaar and Taaramae. Raim has ridden quite a lot in France, most recently with Pro Immo Nicolas Roux.

or how about #verva? Some help to lead out Franczak.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Barbie ---> #bora
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    I don't want to see this happen, but...

Raim -------> #cofidis

Estonian history at Cofidis with Joeaar and Taaramae. Raim has ridden quite a lot in France, most recently with Pro Immo Nicolas Roux.
    It would make sense in that regard, yes. I don't think Räim is quite high-profile enough for #cofidis to be interested though. You don't get a contract with a French team on a 9th place at Tro Bro Leon.

or how about #verva? Some help to lead out Franczak.
    He might as well sign with #stolting then and lead out/mentor Carbel! :D

Barbie ---> #bora
    Yup.
    Free role for stage-hunting at the Tour, classics leader - makes sense.

He'd get the same[1] at #stolting, of course. :P
     1. or something not too far from it, at least[1]
     1. OK, probably only the role of classics leader
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Here's one that I consider almost a foregone conclusion:[1]
    Brändle #iam --> #bora
    It's a German team, but based in Bavaria, and has a strong *at feel to it with both riders and staff from Austria.
    Since they're moving up to WT, signing a guy like Brändle is obvious.
     1. unless IAM doesn't fold after all
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Here's a left-field one:
    Degenkolb #giant --> #katusha

We all think him going to #trek is a done deal.
    But the announcement from his agent that he'd leave #giant mentioned two teams in the running for his signature. And Alpecin is rumoured to team up with Katusha and reform the team into Canyon-Alpecin.

It fits. And mind you, Degenkolb + Kristoff as a classics spearhead ... the other teams might as well pack it in.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2504
    Here's a left-field one:
    Degenkolb #giant --> #katusha

We all think him going to #trek is a done deal.
    But the announcement from his agent that he'd leave #giant mentioned two teams in the running for his signature. And Alpecin is rumoured to team up with Katusha and reform the team into Canyon-Alpecin.

It fits. And mind you, Degenkolb + Kristoff as a classics spearhead ... the other teams might as well pack it in.

Interesting, makes sense sponsor-wise but I think Kristoff and Degenkolb are too similar to work in the same team. It would be a bad move by Degenkolb to sign there rather than become unchallenged cobbles leader of the Trek team.

That second team could also be Astana by the way - they were rumoured to be interested in Sagan, and lose their current cobbles leader in Boom.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    It would be a bad move by Degenkolb to sign there rather than become unchallenged cobbles leader of the Trek team.
    Nobody says riders have to make sensible decisions! :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Tvetcov ----------> #academy

• A "rider from 'non-traditional' cycling nation"
    • Speaks English
    • Fulfils my cult rider requirement
    • SUV able to help out on a variety of terrains
    • Better TT than most of the rest of the team (not that that's saying much)
    • No guaranteed Giro carrot at Androni

I also think there could be another Canadian or two joining the team. Perry could be an option.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Tvetcov ----------> #academy
    You forgot the most important bullet point:
    • Clear leader and home favourite for Sibiu!
    :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

this was mentioned in the Utan thread but Morton wants to return to WT, and last night I was thinking more on where

Obvs #cannondale a return to the team that helped develop him , but maybe this is backwards step, but probably the most likely

other options

#bmc like Australians need climbers and riders for the US races, but can he ride as a dom or does he need freedom to just got for wins

#bora will be going WT with a heavy Sagan focus need riders who can win at random stages with 0 GC ambitions, need to increase rider numbers

#orica need more climbers but once again can Morton ride as a Dom

#dimension have no real GC threats so want riders to get in breaks and take wins and KOM in stage races, perfect for Morton plus there is the cause so maybe the next thereabouts is from Africa

#astana #baharin not going to happen I think

#lampre at PCT might be a good team for Morton but not WT

#etixx can not see it

#lotto sure they got burnt on odd Australian climbers twice before but maybe 3rd time lucky, a lot like dimension Data it makes sense if they have Gallopin still why not sign a rider that can at least look like winning

#ag2r might work but they seem full

#fdj similar to Dimension data and Lotto sure they have Pinot but that is not really working out so well

#giant similarly this team could fit really well they have Disco Tom but is he really a GC threat at stage races? Barguil again is he really a GC threat at this stage? Morton could be a good fit here and adds another Australian if Matthews signs

#trek #katusha #sky just can not see it

My guess Dimension Data or Lotto might be great fits but Bora makes the most sense 
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 03:06]

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [August 18, 2019, 22:36]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Leadbelly
    [August 18, 2019, 21:54]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by t-72
    [August 18, 2019, 21:03]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Leadbelly