collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5911
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Stig Broeckx Recovery Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 20:36 »
At his last visit to Stig, Kris Boeckmans played rock-paper-scissors with him.  :)
This is awesome. :cool
Go Stig! :)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3485
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 12:41 »
    great news.  so happy
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 16:14 »
    https://twitter.com/Velorooms/status/816949853074948096

The Sarge shows himself to be quite a decent guy here. I think some readers will find the conclusion a bit heavy but it can be a bit too easy to get carried away when every headline suggests progress. Hopefully Stig will advance much further. :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1193
    « Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 19:09 »
    Nothing in the paper versions of newspapers here in Belgium but still comments on the websites of Het Nieuwsblad and Het Laatste Nieuws yesterday.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170221_02742607

Actually Sergeant had an interview with Humo. He visited Stig three weeks ago. He couldn't talk yet but could converse and understood everything. Marc started to talk about the season to come and asked Stig who in the team was a contender for classic win. For Tim Wellens and Jürgen Roelandts he nodded. When Marc's wife suggested Frederik Frison, he had to laugh and convincingly shook his head.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/952/Wielrennen/article/detail/3086393/2017/02/21/Ik-zag-Stig-Broeckx-3-weken-geleden-voor-het-laatst-Het-is-ongelooflijk-hoe-ver-hij-al-staat.dhtml

Sergeant will never forget Loïc Chetout's attitude after the crash. I don't know if it had been highlighted at that time. Loïc kept Stig's head on his knees for almost an hour just because he was willing to. He thereby saved Stig's life giving him first care.  :)

https://twitter.com/loicchetout/status/737534164694499328

Thanks for all your support. I'm neither a hero nor a great gentlemen. Stig Broeckx is fighting. Not me...

Hats off, Loïc!  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 21:30 »
    http://m.hln.be/sport/wielrennen/dit-kaartje-met-grote-emotionele-waarde-stuurde-stig-broeckx-destijds-naar-ploegmaat-in-coma-ik-heb-het-nooit-weggegooid~abe6c6d0/

It's now 20 days ago but I still post it here. Kris Boeckmans also saw a "very good evolution. An evolution that is still in progress and let's hope that it will keep on." He tries to regularly visit him.

Boeckie was interviewed about his own recovery after the terrible crash at the Tour of Spain in 2015. Back then it was a great year for him. He had made a step forward towards leadership in the team. He had had a great win against Gianni Meersman in the Samyn Memorial. So sad to see that now Gianni also has had health issue and had to retire.  :(

During his recovery and his two weeks in artificial coma, Boeckie got a letter from Stig that he has always kept and that now has great emotional value. The roles are reversed now.  :(

Stig sent it to Kris "Machien" Boeckmans. "Machine", that was Stig's own joke.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 09:34 »
    Stig turns 27 today
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1018
    « Reply #38 on: May 11, 2017, 21:43 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stig-broeckx-making-miraculous-progress-almost-one-year-after-crash/

...He has also progressed to the point where he can exercise on a stationary bike, and "even dares to cheat and reset the 30 minute timer at the end of the session so he can ride longer".

:cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 20:37 »
    More info on Het Nieuwsblad: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170512_02878241

Fan Club says that Stig learned to independently breathe, eat, drink and talk. He's motivated to revalidate very hard and is everyday looking forward to sweating on his stationary bike (hence the resetting mentioned by Killswitch).

A more openly expressed wish is definitively getting back home, says his father. It's in sight. Already the nights spent at home at weekends were good. In one of the coming weeks he can hope to get back home definitively even though that would mean he would have to get back to the revalidation centre to work for his come back, says the fan club. As CN says there's talk of a possible return as a pro rider though it's premature but just referring to it is amazing. I mean this very year Marc Sergeant claimed "let's face it, he will never be a pro rider again", while he had already made good progress by then. I still don't think he will ever be a pro rider again but it would be so ... I don't know how to say it ...  :)

His father also talks about the "realisation" process that is rising in Stig's mind. "He asks questions about his future. Sometimes it's hard but it does not demoralise him, on the contrary."

I remember that in the Laatste Nieuws article I shared with you back in October that that was the period Stig's mother was most afraid of, the moment Stig is aware of what has happened to him. It should have been scary but it's going good too.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 720
    • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #40 on: May 22, 2017, 16:27 »
    This is an amazing story. And brilliant news.

Keep going Stig :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9135
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 08:58 »
    Sporza spoke to Loïc Chetout during the Tour of Belgium, who stayed with Stig Broeckx after the accident a year ago. "We did not wear the same shirt, we did not belong in the same team, but at times like that the race does not matter."

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2990532
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 11:47 »
     Today 28th of May is exactly one year since the terrible crash.

Translation of Loïc's comments from the video:

It's often been said to me how the idea came to you to do all that. Well it's just that in France there are mandatory "First Aid" training at school and it was just a reflex. In such moment you do not think about the race. We are human beings after all although we do not wear the same jersey.

[about his recent visit]

I clearly did not think he would come back so well. It's a miracle that he came back so well and it is just a joy to see he is getting better and better but you still keep big after-effects of course and I do feel that when on the bike. I take a lot less risks. It's harder for me to get into sprints and so on because as long as you haven't been confronted to that kind of things you don't know and now I know what can happen with a crash at 60kmh. So I'm saying to myself, well the bike is great but there's still a life next to it as well.

:)

(Just realise that I've never been trained first aid in Belgium and that if anybody was dying next to me, I wouldn't be able to do anything for him.  :o)   
  • ReplyReply

•