collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1266
Superb interview of Wout Van Aert in Het Laatste Nieuws today:

Wout Van Aert has extended his contract with Crelan, thereby still focusing on the cross and not making the transition with a focus on the road, much to many's disappointment and to my pleasure.  ;)

He had it in mind since last winter. "I've never thought of a WT team [:)] and also never hoped of a road team. I don't intend too quit cross any time soon. "When I was a child, I dreamed of a career in the field, not on the road. I just enjoy doing it. And i have a team that thinks with me. i don't ask for more."

"At the moment I feel still can progress on the road. From April to July I can make a nice schedule which is also ideal to prepare for the cross season. I also want to make the classics and a GT but that's for later. I most of all don't want to make the mistake not choosing between cross or road because if you do both at the same time ou cannot do well in either of them. I've learnt to make m own choices, to not let me be influenced too quickly by other opinion. [...]"

Patrick Lefevere said he wanted to take him if he is Belgian Champion. Wout: "He may still come and talk again" (joking) But he enthusiastically signed the contract.

Article of the Gazet van Antwerpen about Wout:

-----

Next Monday Van Aert and Boom will start a Dutch kermess in Luykgestel, the Netherlands, just across the Belgian border from Lommel, Limburg (news from today's Belang van Limburg). It's a kermess based on the Belgian model, a novelty in the Netherlands. Wil Bellemakers, organiser, invited pro riders for the first time.  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 16:07 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Wout Van Aert in Het Belang van Limburg of last Saturday:

Says that he did not feel any pressure unlike before Cyclocross Nats & Worlds. He had nothing to lose. He was really satisfied with his Gileppe stage of the ZLN Tour, says it was cool that he could make the difference on a stage of 3000 vertical height.

The route at the Lakes of L'Eau d'Heure suited him because they were short: 2 minutes exploding and then recuperate again he says in the yellow frame above.

He could have been the first rider to win both Cross & road nats in the same year (De Vlaeminck won them in different years.

Finally, he claims that Belgian roadies always have respect for crossers. Certainly now. A few years ago, the thought could have crossed their mind: "What is this guy doing on the road?" But in the meantime "they know that I should not lose the wheel when everything goes wrong." Perhaps the audience still has the feeling that cyclocross a notch below is. Now they realise that the top riders of the field also can mix it up with the best on the road.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Woutje is racing a criterium in his own Herentals (where he now lives, he's from nearby Lille), this evening at 7.30pm.

(Today's GvA)

In the past, I came here to see the top guns racing, now I'm one of them

"Now it's not a mandatory ticket, it's even necessary for me". Wout Van Aert has already been living in Heretals for 1.5 years and that's hos he's racing a home race. Much to the organisers' pleasure but Wout is also looking forward for his appearance before his home crowd. "Compared to the past, not much has changed. As a young boy, I came from Lille every year to visit the criterium, in order to ogle to top riders, and now I'm one of them" (smiling)."I already know that once again a whole lot of supporters are coming from Lille. For my faithful supporters, that's a unique chance to see me again in action."

Wout Van Aert will start two criteriums after Herentals: Putte (Aug 1) and Antwerp (Aug 3). That's in the midst of his preparation for the cyclocross season. He's limited himself to three participations. "I also have a Tour of Wallonia in the legs. That's an ideal preparation to make some strengths. With Xandro Meurisse in the team we had someone in the team who could aim at a good ranking. I came back to competition after a rest period but I can be satisfied with my five days. I could compete in the breakaway several times. Everyday I feel the condition improving. It's according to plan. That appeases me', says the leader of Crelan - Vastgoedservice. "If it didn't fit with my build-up, then I'd really not start here. But in this phase of my preparation, those three criteriums are really useful. This morning I'm going to train and this evening, I'll turn a few laps. The ideal combination for a successful training day. And most of all ideal to sharpen my speed. That's also an element that I should not ignore. That kind of races are reall useful."
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Philosophizing About a Radical Turnover

Wout Van Aert Interview for the weekly news magazine Knack Weekend on the 27th of July.

Belgian cyclocrosser for Team Crelan-Vastgoedservice, Belgian & World Champion, season 2015/16

I've been cycling since aged 8but I felt a degree was something I had to get. I did wish to be get rid of it pretty fast. After secundary school, everbody thought that I had to keep on studying. I started with Adapted Computer Science because computers and websites interested me. I seemed impossible to combine it with becoming a pro rider. I eventually did the two but half of both when I dedided to stop studying. All of a sudden everything went too fast.

The race is my life. Believe it or not but for me it is a life of luxury. I'm choosing how my life looks like. But make no mistake, it's sheer self-discipline and real hard work. If you want to reach something, you are most of all pointed towards yourself.

I don't have another plan for myself. I don't wanna think about it. Not even about the fact something can happen to me. Like with Stig Broeckx for example. The latter is still in coma after the crash at the Tour of Belgium. I was in that race. It was staggering. Imagine I consciousl start thinking that something might happen to me, it would prevent me from going all out. That's for sure. Then I might make the choices that makes me lose the race or fall. I cannot do that. I don't want to think about things in advance. What am I going to plan beforehand? My family is of course scared. Scared that I have a heavy crash. I have to reassure my girlfriend.

If it ever has to stop because I don't reach my level anymore, then I already know that don't keep on trying needlessly. It would be sad. But I will probably stay in the racing because that's where I feel at home.

On Sunday evening I sometimes feel like I've had it all about cross but the next Saturday I might start again with the greatest of enthusiasm. It's love-hate. People may act possessively. "You must stand with me on the photograph". Then I'm thinking: "If I had just become a football player, then I'd just put my headphone on and would just get back in the bus." But then comes a kid that same day, really impressed and he would whistle as though you were his hero. Therefore, I do it. Believe me, next season, I'm going to cause some nice battles again, with a lot of pleasure.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Wout hits the headline of today's Gazet van Antwerpen (at least the Mechelen edition) with his presence at the criterium of Putte Kappelen.

He's entitled to his World Champion jersey of course. It's not an official race but what strikes me is that it does nt wear the cyclocross jersey. There's no logo on his rainbow. Hopefully we'll soon see such rainbow in the field back very soon. I don't like the logo.

He's in good company there. Thomas De Gendt, Jasper Stuyven and the greatest ...  ;)

(sorry for the taint but personal info had to be masked  :P)
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain

Today's GvA

I Can’t Do This Season any Good

So after his win at the Schaal Sels, Wout Van Aert got Gaia “on his roof” because of the “Black Angus” case, Wout was offered a Black Angus calf, meant to be offered alive. Wout didn’t suspect this affair could have such serious consequences, he only thought about the tasty meat and so he decided to have him slaughtered before he could see it alive, otherwise he wouldn’t eat it as easily. “What a hoopla”! Even the actor of the popular TV series “Thuis”, Frank Bomans, wanted to buy it in order to save its live. “Sorry, Frank Bomans, I really didn’t know it was a living calf. It’s now been decided to leave the beast in the farm. We shall see further, after the cross season.”

About next Sunday’s cross in Geraardsbergen he says that he first founded rather early in the season [it wasn’t so early in previous years] but now that we are getting closer to it, he gets more and more excited. He had a training session in the Vosges last month and when back from it he says sighing “Well now still two road races?” Even though he knows that he’s gonna incredibly suffer in that first cross. On the road you can also go deep but you always have moments when you can recuperate. Soon it’s gonna be again racing one hour full gas in the red. But it was a good summer for him and that helps.

He’s proud of his road season, even though the prologue of the Tour of Belgium is the only thing that made him blench. All the rest he knew that he could manage it. About the fact he’s better than 80% of the road peloton, he answered that whoever is following the the races knows that he can get “out of his feet” (sounds like a Dutch idiom, lol). It’s not illegal that there’s no 50 Belgian riders better than him, he says (hmm well really?). Ever since his first road race in Puivelde, he got no freedom, was watched out for. Last year, he could attack from the first kilometers and then was exhausted in the finale, he got smarter this summer.

About how many road teams contacted him? It was rather okay. He read more rumours in the gazettes than got phone calls. About two or three teams carefully tried. But he stands by the fact that he has always stated he had no plan to leave Crelan Vastgoedservice. After last season, it lasted a little before they could extend the contract but he’s glad he signed it. Most teams know that, he says.

Etixx was obstinate in contracting him because Peeters is the “godfather” of Crelan (his nephew Rob is still racing for Crelan) but Wout argues that for that very reason, Peeters knows very well that if Wout leaves, the team would be decapitated. He then argues that if next year there’s a World Tour team with Colnago bikes (Crelan’s bike manufacturer) they are again gonna say he should go there.

With Crelan, he’s got the privilege to fix his own schedule. They know that if they let him do his thing, it always comes good. It would be a lot harder with a team like Quick Step. You could agree beforehand that you would just do a restricted amount of races but if suddenly a rider is pulling out of a race, you have to replace him at a moment that it does not fit with your agenda.

With regards to money, he agrees that at this point he’s got a lot more to gain in cross than on the road and that it would be crazy to change but he also made it clear that if you win a classic you all of a sudden land in another category. On the road you’ve got riders with a minimum contract and others earning 4 or 5 million a year. In the field, the gap between minimum contract and top earners much smaller. But in the field, you have your salary, your start bonuses and you can deal more with private sponsors. The great road teams do not tolerate that. But if he really gets fed up with the cross and still wishes to turn road, than the financial aspect won’t hold him off.

He realizes that he can hardly do any better than last year. “I cannot do this season any good. If I win a lot they would say that it gets boring and much too easy. If I don’t win they are gonna ask what the problem is.” Besides, the fact that Mathieu is out for the first races, each race they would claim it is because his main rival wasn’t there. He almost has to get deliberately second.

The big question is about where he could find his motivation since he’s already won almost everything while not 22 yet [the Slow Rider question;)]

No problem, he says. He sees a lot of possible challenges. He mentions Laurens Sweeck and Michael Vanthourenhout who get stronger every year. On the Koppenberg he’s not gonna beat them with fingers in the nose. Besides, he would get more satisfaction winning in a nice battle with Mathieu in a second-tier cross like Lebbeke than in a so-called top cross. More challenge, he wants to be Euro champion. Last year he’s just won one World Cup event, he can do better. Besides he wants to show his rainbow jersey. That’s his biggest motivation.

He’s raced 23 races on the road. They are the only 23 days he hasn’t worn his rainbow jersey. He’s so proud of it. You never know what could happen in the future. Just imagine if it happens that he only got World Champion once. It would a shame not to wear it for half a year.

About the first season without Nys, he says that sportingly speaking that would not change much because last year he was ahead of him most of the time but the feeling would be different. If it was crowded around his van, it was even more around Sven’s. The Nys supporters shouted louder than his own. He thinks the Nys supporters are also cross fans and won’t leave the races. Besides, Sven is now Fidea manager and not totally away.

About being the new standard-bearer of cyclocross he says he notices that with people’s attention. Some Germans asked him to send a signed photograph, Americans react if he posts a video, every gazette and magazine wants to interview him before the season start. Last year they also wanted to reach Sven and Mathieu, this year they all want to find him. With all the risks it takes. If something soon goes wrong, it will be magnified. But as of now, there’s not much to tell about him, he’s not married yet, so divorcing cannot either. :D

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain

Roughly similar articles in the GvA and the Belang van Limburg.

Next Year Van Aert at the Start of the Tour of Flanders?

The possibility exists that World Champion Cyclocross Wout Van Aert comes to the start of the Circuit Het Nieuwsblad and the Tour of Flanders. At the moment, there’s a lot of work done in order to build a new Pro Conti team around Van Aert. Nick Nuyens is the strong man behind the project.

Behind the screen there’s been work done for quite a while for a new structure around the World Champion. All the current Van Aert sponsors – Crelan as much as Vastgoedservice – are part of the project. About the why, you don’t need to doubt about it: the World Champion in the field is also predicted a great future on the road and admitted to wanting to someday take part in the great classics. Therefore, he no longer needs to change teams. The promotion to Pro Conti level accounts  for the fact that Van Aert may soon starts World Tour races such as the Circuit Het Nieuwsblad or the Tour of Flanders.

Of course for Nuyens, there’s still plenty of work ahead of him. A Pro Conti team needs 16 pro riders under contract. Crelan-Vastgoedservice currently has 4 pro riders, all cyclocrossers. What would happen to the current road riders – all without contracts or U23 – remains unclear. It’s equally as unclear whether Nuyens needs an extra sponsor. Nuyens and his business partner Chris Compagnie have already gathered extra capital but whether this suffices to raise a competitive team, that is the question. There sure are options. Veranda’s Willems announced months ago that they wanted to get Pro Conti. Timothy Dupont mentioned last Saturday in those two newspapers that he’s yet to sign anywhere and is waiting for news from his employer. Veranda’s Willems also has 4 pros. The team has a few riders – Dries De Bondt and Elias Van Breusegem – whom they could gladly offer a pro contract. Generally speaking, the offer for available compatriots is limited: Roy Jans may no longer extend with Wanty, Gert Dockx is sitting on the seesaw with Lotto-Soudal.

There’s movement on the Francophone side too. Wallonie-Bruxelles have also applied for a place in the ProConti circuit.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    So it seems that Wout was right. Michael Vanthourenhout can give him some challenges in the years to come. At least he did on the Kapelmuur in Geraardsbergen.  ;)

Other news, Nick Nuyens is now officially the owner of Crelan-Vastgoedservice. So says Het Laatste Nieuws. Apparently he's looking to merge with Veranda's Willems to make it a cross/road team. The merging could enable them to get promotion to ProConti circuit.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Lol Wout is now making some kind of promotional ads/contests for Crelan. :fp He's got to cover a whole circuit with a bandage on (so on the blind, so to speak). Audience have to estimate what time he's done for the whole circuit.

Crelan Wout van Aert Battles  :lol

He's becoming some kind of superstar.  :D

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Article from today's Het Laatste Nieuws

Nuyens could not send an administrative file to the UCI in due time on 1 October for the creation of a new team but has asked for and got a postponement until 20 October.

Nuyens is the new owner of the current Crelan-Vastgoedservice team but Vasttgoedservice is making a step back as sponsor. The team would have to do without Wout Van Aert who is contracted by Crelan.

The project by Nuyens is still to merge Crelan with Veranda Willems in order to create a ProConti team that should give a decent road agenda for Wout Van Aert and Tim Merlier.

The project is in waiting of a definitive approval of the two parties involved.

I don't understand the final sentence: "Zo voelt Crelan er weinig voor om Van Aert op de weg te laten koersen".

If a speaker of Dutch can enlighten me, please, I'd be grateful. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6039
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I don't understand the final sentence: "Zo voelt Crelan er weinig voor om Van Aert op de weg te laten koersen".

If a speaker of Dutch can enlighten me, please, I'd be grateful. ;)
    I'm not a native speaker of Dutch, but I think I get the meaning:
    "So (=for instance), Crelan don't feel for (=aren't in favour of) letting van Aert race on the road."
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Thanks. That's what they said on some other forums too. It surprised me, so that's why I was asking.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2464
    To be honest it's a really poorly written article. I am a native Dutch speaker, but cannot really make out what it says - I don't think even the writer knows. Just wait and see until some actual news comes out on this I guess.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    To be honest it's a really poorly written article. I am a native Dutch speaker, but cannot really make out what it says - I don't think even the writer knows. Just wait and see until some actual news comes out on this I guess.

Well no need to wait, the news had already come on Nieuwsblad.be. Apparently he said it yesterday to VTM but I missed his pre-race interview.

On CN, they thought it was a transfer but it's definitely a merger of two teams.  :D

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/2884/Veldrijden/article/detail/2909294/2016/10/08/Van-Aert-rijdt-vanaf-1-januari-voor-ploeg-van-Nick-Nuyens.dhtml
    http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20161008_02508649

So Wout still dreams of Paris-Roubaix but the team's not sure to get a wild card for it. However for Flemish races (Omloop, Tour of Flanders), it could be. Also Wout still claims cyclocross gets his main focus (I'm relieved  ;))

On some other news, Van Aert wasn't selected for the Flandrien of the year award: Boonen, De Gendt, Wellens, Van Avermaet & Dupont were. De Vlaeminck said

I'm voting for Van Aert. He's raced 10 races on the road and won three of them. That's 30%

Wout's reaction:

In Roger's time the real connoisseurs were born

:lol

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20161007_02506663
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner

On some other news, Van Aert wasn't selected for the Flandrien of the year award: Boonen, De Gendt, Wellens, Van Avermaet & Dupont were. De Vlaeminck said

Not that it matters. No way in hell GVA doesn't win flandrien of the year ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6039
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    On CN, they thought it was a transfer but it's definitely a merger of two teams.  :D
    So #crelan and #verandas will merge into Crelan-Verandas Willems, with a PCT license targeted, but the merger happens no matter what?
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    According to the Belang van Limburg, Nuyens confirmed the new team creation with Crelan and Veranda Willems as guaranteed sponsors. There should be a third one, which might be Vastgoedservice. He also seems to be sure it will be a ProConti team but he also still needs a few crucial signatures and that's why the UCI has given him a postponement to 20 October in order to apply for a ProConti licence.

According to Saturday's Het Laatste Nieuws, you cannot expect Van Aert to be racing Flemish classics until at best 2018 but according to Albert it might even be 2019 or later. Wout's objectives is to go through the cyclocross season and equal last season, says Albert though he realises it would be hard because this year Mathieu is present pretty much since the start and after a full season in cross, you cannot race the spring classics, you need a rest period. According to Niels one or two races can in theory but even that is in doubt. Van Aert is ambitious but reasonable and he realises that there's nothing to look for in the top classics without any good preparation. Participating for the sake of it is not his style of racing. Albert claims that it's for sure that Wout wants to see what his limits are on major classics, what he's worth at the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix  but it's a fact that for the moment Wout enjoys crossing too much and a switch to the road is not yet on the agenda.

There's a confirmation that Crelan wants to keep Van Aert in the field because the commercial return is guaranteed. Supporting a road rider is more expensive and besides there's no guarantee that Wout, despite his talent, would bring as much publicity as in the cross. But according to Albert what is essential is Wout's voice, his own choice and for the moment he chooses cross.

Also there's a confirmation that the managers of Crelan Vastgoedservice Geert Vanhoof and football player Timmy Simmons are making the step towards the new team. Other rider Tim Merlier too. Niels Albert also remains but is demoted to recruiting, leading the U23 riders (and the crossers?).

Road riders like Timothy Dupont or Aidis Kruopis will still make the move from Veranda Willems. Jens Adams probably becomes the new leader in cross they say? That's in case WOut no longer crosses over ???

• ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    Road riders like Timothy Dupont or Aidis Kruopis will still make the move from Veranda Willems. Jens Adams probably becomes the new leader in cross they say? That's in case WOut no longer crosses over ???

The way I understand it is there will be two teams.
    • A ProContinental one; the current Verandas Willems. This will be a hybrid road-cross team with Van Aert and Merlier for the cross, plus at least 14 road riders including the core of the current Verandas Willems team (such as Dupont and Kruopis). Albert will be the DS for the cross, De Schamphelaere DS for the road. Name will be something like Crelan-Verandas Willems.
    • A Continental team aimed at cross. This is the current Crelan team, although it will be heavily dressed down with Van Aert and Merlier leaving. Thus for this team Adams will be the most important name. New sponsors, and a new DS although Albert remains involved with the youth and recruitement. New name still unknown.
    Thus Albert will have two jobs: cross DS for the ProConti team, and youth guidance at the Continental team. Similarly, Vanhoof and Simons own 2 teams: full owners and main management of the Continental cross team, and part-owner of the ProConti team. The management of the ProConti team will be down to Nuyens and his business partner.

Pretty complicated situation, but the good news is that this means there will be one more cross team next year.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    You cannot not like Wout Van Aert!  :cool

Trainer Marc Lamberts fears that World Champion Van Aert won’t be top anymore in the deciding month of January because …

“Wout Races Too Much”

Gazet van Antwerpen & Belang van Limburg – 28 October

You can see a comparison between 2015 Van Aert and 2016 Van Aert until the Euro on the 2nd page of the GvA scans and a ranking of the most active riders since the start of this season. Meeusen raced even more than him, apparently but still he races an awful lot and of course Meeusen is meant to be in prime.

“ Strictly Physically Speaking Wout Races Too Much for His Age”

The Euro Championship next Sunday in Pontchateau, France is for Wout Van Aert the 13th race of the current season. Last winter at the same time in the season he had raced 9 of them. Overdoing? Trainer Marc Lamberts think it is.

Wout Van Aert is a pro. The more he races the more he earns money. But even for the World Champion too much is too much, his coach Marc Lamberts fears.
    In my opinion Wout races too many races at the moment and I also told him so. At the end of the season he will have raced 40 races. We seem to forget that he’s still only just 22 years young. If I may have had a word to say then he would race 10 races less. But yeah then we are talking about quite a lot of cents, you know. At the end of the day, only Wout decides. I repeat he’s still young. For his age it’s purely physically too much what he’s doing. For it’s still the idea that he still turns like that for quite a few years. At the moment he’s indeed very good. This week we talked to each other for a long time. He never raced Valkenburg with a better feel than last Sunday but I cannot guarantee that he’ll still be good in January and that is still the most important month of the season.

Even the trip to the USA will soon have its impact on Van Aert’s form level.

Lamberts:
    Those two World Cup events cost him three training weeks in total. At a moment he could have worked on his basis, Wout stayed in America for races, visits to sponsors and the necessary travels that go along with those. Once he was back he again had to limit his training because of the jetlag. If you use those three weeks to work decently on the basis, then you are good for the rest of the season.

Wout:
    I understand Marc’s criticism but when he says that he cannot guarantee that I’ll be fit in January, that doesn’t mean that he’s convinced that I’ll be bad. We are both curious how my body will react to the number of races I’m racing.

Van Aert knows that his trainer would like to see him race less.

And it’s a trend among younger riders to race less but men like Nys also raced a lot before. I know that my body can resist to a great volume. If it seems that it goes less good in January, then chance is that we take another approach next year.

No need to look far to get the reason for this full calendar:
    I am World Champion and want to show this jersey. Just imagine that I’m soon no longer World Champion, then wouldn’t it be a shame to just have shown it for 20 races and not 40 of them? Also what is not unimportant: I have duties towards my sponsors and there is a financial aspect, we cannot be childish about that.

Lamberts also fears that the many duels with Mathieu Van der Poel will eventually demand payback.
    Van Aert:
    I don’t really fear the physical battle with Mathieu. We are so equal to each other that it often stands still during the race, something that wouldn’t happen if Mathieu wasn’t there. But I do fear the mental impact. Getting each race at the start again with the idea that it would be a hard fight, that is also exhaustive.

One thing that Van Aert has already resolved:
    If it goes wrong in January I won’t hide behind the fact that I raced in America and not Mathieu. I will even less hide behind the amount of races that I raced. But anyway I start on the basis that it won’t go wrong in January.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    My parents have recently been to Le Menil in the Vosges, France. The Crelan Vastgoedservice team were there for a training session in the off season, I guess it was in August.

My parents went in the same hotel: Les Sapins

The hotel owner has very fond memories of Wout.  :) Wout offered him a Rainbow jersey, posed for a photo with him which he framed and offered him a magazine which he still keeps as a souvenir despite the fact it was in Dutch and obviously couldn't read. Wout was super nice, it seems. However he found Niels unfriendly.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Article of Het Nieuwsblad today (no need for a scan, it's all on the web):

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170206_02716840

Van Aert's Trainer: "Wout en Mathieu rijden elkaar kapot"

(It's hard to translate though Germanic people can easily guess what it says: according to Van Aert's trainer, Wout and Mathieu are racing each other to broke. If anyone has a better translation?  :D)

You remember the article I shared on October 30 in which Marc Lamberts - Wout's coach - feared Wout was racing way too much for his age.

Now he sees Wout's knee injury as an alarm sign.
    40 crosses a season is too much for a 22 year old guy

Is it a coindicence that both Mathieu and Wout have both already laid on surgeon Toon Claes' table? No says Marc Lamberts.
    Wout now has problem with a knee and Mathieu has twice undergone surgery. His sugery has improved now but well similar. They rode each cross from lap one at high intensity. They both compel each other to race every cross "à bloc" [in French, in the text] by systematically accepting another duel.

After this season Lamberts will meet with Van Aert and the management of Crelan-Verandas Willems for the 2017/18 and will plead for less crosses.

Wout is a tall muscular guy but he's only just 22. 40 crosses are too much. Sven Nys also raced such seasons but only in his thirties. Now that Wout is World Champion for the second time in a row, every race organiser will want to have him at the start but I'm an effort physiologist and then my honest advice sounds: "Limit your season to 30 crosses."

Spanish Newspaper Accusations are Laughable

The Spanish newspaper AS posted a short video clip on their website. Thereon it seems like Wout's wheel seems to accelerate after slipping. According to the newspaper it's immediately sufficient to accuse the World Champion of mechanical fraud[1], something they had already done.

Jan Verstraeten from Veranda's Willems:
    Laughable. On a sloping side Wout slips away. In order to stay upright Wout moves his body weight and that's how the wheel is turning again. I don't see anything illogical to that clip. Anyone who doubts about it may break his bike to pieces. Then perhaps mechanical cheating allegations may stop.

http://as.com/videos/2017/02/04/portada/1486244547_971041.html?autoplay=1

The first accusation dates back from Fiuggi:

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170206_02715506

I don't know whether they had been discussed about in the hidden motor thread but I'm just discovering them. Excuse my ignorance.  ;)
     1. by the way I don't like the phrase "mechanical doping". It suggests that every form of cheating in cycling are doping because doping seems so inherent to cycling
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain

Van Aert Tests Spring Classics in 2018, Van der Poel Still Hesitates

(Today's het Nieuwsblad)

(Picture from his win at the 2016 Schaal Sels)

Wout Van Aert will races a few spring classics in 2018. The Tour of Flanders is on the agenda. "But Wout remains a crosser in the first place. The Cross nats and Worlds remain priorities" says team manager Nuyens. Mathieu Van der Poel hesitates: "This is also a track in our team but not necessarily for 2018"

Wout Van Aert will race a classic spring in 2018. The last few days the cross World champion was at a table with coach Marc Lamberts.
    Next year Wout wants to test the spring races. He wants to see where he can reach in the spring classics in order perhaps to make a choice afterwards. If ever Wout makes the switch to the road someday it will only be if he feels he can perform.

The agenda is not ready yet but the Tour of Flanders is sure on it. Perhaps Paris-Roubaix will be targeted but the team needs a wild card unlike this year and it won't be an easy task when you see the team's current results. The Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is also an option but since the next Cyclocross World Championship will be held on 4 February, one week later than the Worlds of last season it will be hard to be ready for the Omloop three weeks after the Worlds. Having a short rest after the cross campaign and resuming mid-March on the road after training a bit seems like a more logical solution.

Nick Nuyens:
    Wout is and remains a cyclocrosser in the first place. The Nats and the Worlds are more important than the road.

Also the three rankings are priorities. Crelan is the main sponsor of the team and pays a lot to see Van Aert shining in the field, for them the road is a secondary issue. The number of races he enters is cut short though. Last season Van Aert raced 42 crosses and only 30 of them remains.

And Van der Poel?

Mathieu Van der Poel does not think that this choice will change a lot

I also race 30 crosses a year. So we will still often clash. An extended road campaign is also an option for me. My team is investigating that track. It might be that it's already the case in 2018 but it can as well be in 2019 or in 2020

Unlike the Nuyens team Beobank Corendon has no Pro Conti status yet but this promotion is also on the table.

However we remain a cross team in the first place. Just look at Tom Meeusen that we got

Says Christoph Roofhooft
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts