collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10760
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Cannondale-Drapac
« on: June 30, 2016, 12:23 »
So Drapac signs on for 5 years

The Drapac PCT closes its doors and the you must study and ride Drapac-pats Veg will ride in *au

https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/748474773764661248

https://twitter.com/DrapacCycling/status/748476178780983297

https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/748474773764661248
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    Re: Cannondale-Drapac
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 12:36 »
    Hope that gives Vaughters the budget to add some more quality to his team, because Cannondale currently is one of the weakest teams in the WT. I do like the team though, so I'm happy they found another sponsor. Also the newly formed Drapac team with its focus on combining top sport with education sounds like an excellent idea.

And 5 years is brilliant, gives the team some long-term stability many others will be jealous of.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1320
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 12:54 »
    Very much like the elements of the deal. The stability of 5 years, the supporting riders with their studies, how the conti team will operate - all good. Time will tell how many riders/staff will be absorbed to the WT team fro the current PC... they mention 1 rider, and 'some' staff but I wonder how many (riders) will look elsewhere for 2017.

What i don't like is the new kit. Not the red, well yes the red actually but that can't be helped. ;p. It's more that Drapac is just dumped on the top.

From best kit to worst in a single stroke.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 13:05 by Not My Circus »

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 12:58 »
    Very much like the elements of the deal. The stability of 5 years, the supporting riders with their studies, how the conti team will operate - all good. Time will tell how many riders/staff will be absorbed to the WT team fro the current PC... they mention 1 rider, and 'some' staff but I wonder how many (riders) will look elsewhere for 2017.

What i don't like is the new kit. Not the red, well yes the red actually but that can't be helped. ;p. It's more that Drapac is just dumped on the top.
    From best kit to worst in a single stroke.

It wasn't the best kit (FDJ) and it isn't the worst now (LottoNL, Trek, Giant) but you do have a point. It would always be hard to tastefully combine the Cannondale green with the Drapac red, but the way they handled it does not help. Hopefully for next season when they have all winter to prepare, they can come up with something better.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 13:05 »
    It wasn't the best kit (FDJ) and it isn't the worst now (LottoNL, Trek, Giant) but you do have a point. It would always be hard to tastefully combine the Cannondale green with the Drapac red, but the way they handled it does not help. Hopefully for next season when they have all winter to prepare, they can come up with something better.

See I LOVED the brightness of it, FDJ came a very close second.  They obviously thought a bit about the socks, but you're right - 2017 ought to be a lot better
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 14:02 »
    So Drapac signs on for 5 years

The Drapac PCT closes its doors and the you must study and ride Drapac-pats Veg will ride in *au

OK, I went back and read it again. In my first post I queried how many riders from the current PC Drapac would look elsewhere. Yes the Drapac Pats Veg will operate at a continental level, but maybe more more akin to a devo team perhaps. Nothing wrong with a devo team, and this one seems to be based on sound principles, but how many of the current Drapac will be willing to make that step?

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 14:06 »
    Canty as stated
    Spokes
    Mannon
    Norris
    And maybe Earle could ride WT in 2017

Browie DS

Not sure who else
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 14:03 »
    From top to bottom:
    Brownie retires, possibly DS (maybe at the new CT though?).
    Canty will step up to WT.
    Will Clarke could get another stint as a WT domestique - or go to CT as mentor (I believe in the latter more).
    Earle could step up to WT again.
    Brad Evans will go to CT, he's not WT-ready yet.
    Brenton Jones may get a WT deal to prove himself.
    Kerby should definitely get a WT deal, his results don't show how good he is.
    Koning will go to CT as leader for the Asian races - or return to *nl to ride for a CT (or #roompot) there.
    Lowndes will go to CT, not WT-ready yet.
    Mannion ought to finally get his WT contract.
    Travis Meyer had two two-year stints at the WT, couldn't convince either team of giving him another deal (and one of them was JV's). Plus his brother has quasi-retired for personal reasons, Travis may feel the same.
    Mouris retires, may become DS at #orica or one of the two teams here.
    Norris could get a WT deal, or go to another PCT if he doesn't.
    Phelan might get a WT deal, he has a couple of decent results.
    Roe is definitely good enough for WT, the question is if he wants to (I can't remember what happened with him at BMC).
    Scully could be a nice WT lead-out with some training, but he's on the marginals for making the step up.
    Spokes is definitely good enough for WT.
    Bernie Sulzberger will retire or take one more year as a mentor on the CT.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9062
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 09:05 »
    there's quite a cool Dombro feature on Strava

Joe Dombrowski finds himself in Vail, eating a steak. Killing time. The Leadville 100 is two days away at this point. He’s between the Tour of Utah (finishing in 8th place) and the Vuelta a España. Inside this little window, Joe has added Leadville. The 100-miler is raced above 10,000 feet, climbs more than 10,000 feet, and awards shiny belt buckles to finishers. “Leadville” is all one needs to say about it to most competitive cyclists.

http://stories.strava.com/the-leadville-100
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 08:23 »
    https://twitter.com/Velorooms/status/771246609413746688

enjoyed that as a blog pity about the reason for pain
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 13:08 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 10:54 »
    A season of 'near misses' for Cannondale-Drapac, says Wegelius

Interview on Cycling News... hoping they are right about Talansky and his state of mind, it's not good to see riders go through the mill like that.

I especially liked this quote
    at the end of the day, we finished 8th in the rankings, one place behind Etixx-QuickStep, which is a really big team. I know that nobody is very interested in points, but you don't get points for finishing at the back of races so we must have done something right."

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 14:32 »
    A season of 'near misses' for Cannondale-Drapac, says Wegelius

Interview on Cycling News... hoping they are right about Talansky and his state of mind, it's not good to see riders go through the mill like that.

I especially liked this quote

I find this article perplexing. It has to have been one of Slipstream's worst years to date in terms of performance and results and there is no way to spin that positively. The only way Wegelius could have made himself sound like a bigger imbecile is to have called 2016 a transitional year.

Wake up and smell the self-satisfied designer coffee. The Garmin-Cannondale merger has been a monumental failure in all but the continuation of the team and the sponsor's bikes at WT level.

It never seriously looked like a match anyway, the hardcore ad ogni costo culture of Brixia Sport taken over by this foppy phalanx of underachievers, hesistant to attack but always ready with a sockheight soundbite and a vacuous guest blog.

But kook posturing quickly gets old. Slipstream is now a teensy weensy bit too log in the houndstooth to be hanging out insouciantly on Girona streetcorners, wearing Ray Bans in races and sipping recovery shake out from empty jam jars.

The initiative, like the old doper founding fathers and the AWOL boss, has left the building.

For novelty and zeitgeist, see Dimension Data. For mass appeal, see Peter Sagan. The future is definitely not argyle.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 16:03 »

The initiative, like the old doper founding fathers and the AWOL boss, has left the building.

For novelty and zeitgeist, see Dimension Data. For mass appeal, see Peter Sagan. The future is definitely not argyle.

Pretty much agree with most of this. As much as I enjoy the cool Girona vibe. it grates after a while and actually their social media is very centred on certain riders, and nowhere near as fan friendly as they like to think. That aside and turning to more cycling fare. I pulled the quote re finishing 8th more in an ironic way, because for the life of me I still can't see how they did it. I mean I get how they gained them, but they are not on the same page as Etixx. The 8th is a testament to how points are allocated rather than how well they did.  To say they must be doing something right is so far off base as to be ludicrous. I am not sure Taylor P and Sep VM are going to make it better.  I still have hopes for Dombrowski and Formolo ... not huge GT winning ones, but more along the modest type of thing. I fear for Hugh Carthy but we shall see.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 16:17 »
    JV so read that Moneyball article and went with point accumulation rather than wins. Remember those scenes with Pit going around players saying take the pitch get the walks etc. Now imagine a fat balding glasses wearing JV in argyle telling his riders not to attack to try and win but hold wheels for constant top 10s.

Worked well bat sh*t boring though
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 20:52 »
    Worked well bat sh*t boring though
    Indeed. Remember stage 9 of the 2013 Tour de France? Or the 2011 Paris-Roubaix?
    That's what people remember.
    Not the Ronde van Vlaanderen where they told the team to "ride for Farrar" with 30 km to go.[1]

If you can't win, at least pull out all the stops and go down with all flags flying.
     1. which also failed spectacularly
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 07:49 »
    I fear for Hugh Carthy but we shall see.

This. One of several things I like about Carthy is that he hasn't had that much to say for himself, perhaps because Caja Rural's hispanophone PR wall was all but impenetrable to the usual anglophone journo chumocracy.

What I obviously spend every waking hour worrying about is that, at Cannonfodder-Drabact, he could now be required to guestblog his whole season, so he'll need to pr*ck up his ears and take copious notes at the training camp when they lecture on advanced metaphors and the outsider narrative.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 549
    « Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 09:27 »
    wow Larry, stop ranting  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 09:50 »
    This. One of several things I like about Carthy is that he hasn't had that much to say for himself, perhaps because Caja Rural's hispanophone PR wall was all but impenetrable to the usual anglophone journo chumocracy.

What I obviously spend every waking hour worrying about is that, at Cannonfodder-Drabact, he could now be required to guestblog his whole season, so he'll need to pr*ck up his ears and take copious notes at the training camp when they lecture on advanced metaphors and the outsider narrative.

hah! But they have several riders we NEVER hear from[1] . With Phinney on board[2], I doubt we will hear about much else for a while. Hugh may well be left alone to do the thing is so very good at at - unless he wishes otherwise.

Full admission... I do like  Toms writing
     1. 1. A whole year with #specialB and not one thing (yes I know he had a rubbish year, not the point)... not that I was counting or anything ;p
     2. and please spare me from any more 'pulling up our big boy pants' remarks from JV
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1274
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 11:57 »

Well Rolland showed a vast improvement last year after his training moved on from 1975.

:-x
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Recent Posts

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by hiero
    [July 25, 2017, 23:10]

Re: Tour of Wallonia by Echoes
    [July 25, 2017, 19:54]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Leadbelly
    [July 25, 2017, 16:39]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by jimmythecuckoo
    [July 25, 2017, 16:31]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by Armchair Cyclist
    [July 25, 2017, 16:04]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH