collapse

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 8838
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: Men's Kits 2017
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2016, 16:40 »
And I'm supposed to recognise those people?! :lol

well, no. And I think you were more interested in the not-allowed third name sponsor anyway ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 540
    « Reply #121 on: December 13, 2016, 17:03 »
    But is this the PCT led by Nick Nuyens or the CT led by Niels Albert?! :S

oh fukkety-fukk

FELT??????

the Crelan/VanAert Colnago deal until 2019 dead and gone....

no more Colnago in high level cyclocross?

maybe they cut the money there, cause TJ-Sport Lampre cost them a bit too much
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 293
    « Reply #122 on: December 13, 2016, 17:45 »
    Whilst we are going to have some really similar kits next year (Orica and Movistar) and the growing band of predominantly black kitted teams, surely there is nothing as mindless as this recent example in football, where despite both team formally issuing three different sets of kits to their adoring fans, both team wore blue kits when they met... utterly baffling... 

:S

• ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #123 on: December 13, 2016, 17:53 »
    Whilst we are going to have some really similar kits next year (Orica and Movistar) and the growing band of predominantly black kitted teams, surely there is nothing as mindless as this recent example in football, where despite both team formally issuing three different sets of kits to their adoring fans, both team wore blue kits when they met... utterly baffling... 

:S

I hadn't seen that - but there was a ridiculous example recently (the details escape me) where both teams ended up having to wear their away kits...

I think there are several lessons we can take from this year's slate of new kits.

1) "New" is a relative term. Sky and Movistar are little changed, Lotto are totally unchanged, and QuickStep are just pretending the Omega Pharma/Etixx years never happened.
    2) Navy is the new black. Half the WT peloton will be practically indistinguishable from one another - how are we supposed to work out who is finishing 2nd behind Peter Sagan all year?!
    3) Lukas could have done a much better job designing each and every kit out there. There are many truly uninspiring kits, and some are downright awful.

At least Kochetkov's Dutch champion's jersey has the flag the right way up[1]
     1. For those who didn't see it, I'm referring to this slightly embarrassing brain fade on Twitter the other day:
    https://twitter.com/lukascph/status/807674999490408448
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5715
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #124 on: December 13, 2016, 19:15 »
    well, no. And I think you were more interested in the not-allowed third name sponsor anyway ;)
    Those are allowed again:
    The sponsors are persons, companies or organisations that contribute to the funding of the professional continental team. A maximum of three of the sponsors shall be designated the principal partners of the professional continental team.

The name of the professional continental team may be that of the company or brand name of one or several principal partners, the name of the payingagent, or any other name related to the project of the continental professional team.

Quick, someone tell Savio! :lol

3) Lukas could have done a much better job designing each and every kit out there. There are many truly uninspiring kits, and some are downright awful.
    You're not setting the bar very high!
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4691
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #125 on: December 13, 2016, 19:28 »
    #cyn

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 16:27 by LukasCPH »

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1892
    « Reply #126 on: December 13, 2016, 19:58 »
    Crivit Pro... the Lidl sports clothing brand I believe.

The uncamouflaged white zip certainly gives it the look of a cheap brand one might find in Lidl, if that is what they were aiming for.

What's with the name "Willems Veranda's", or, more specifically, with the apostrophe in it?  It is a company called Willems (or is it Willem?) and they make conservatories and porches, yes?  So does the apostrophe as used here have any grammatical meaning in Flemish, or is it a misguided and poorly educated attempt to claim prestige by looking as though it were an anglophone company? 

If the latter, surely someone should have told them by now...
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4691
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #127 on: December 13, 2016, 20:08 »
    surely someone should have told them by now...

You mean Fus right?  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #128 on: December 13, 2016, 20:10 »
    What's with the name "Willems Veranda's", or, more specifically, with the apostrophe in it?  It is a company called Willems (or is it Willem?) and they make conservatories and porches, yes?  So does the apostrophe as used here have any grammatical meaning in Flemish, or is it a misguided and poorly educated attempt to claim prestige by looking as though it were an anglophone company?

it's one veranda, but two veranda's in Dutch. Normally the plural would be verandaas, but they shorten double vowels with an apostrophe - as far as I can see at least
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #129 on: December 13, 2016, 20:39 »
    is it a misguided and poorly educated attempt to claim prestige by looking as though it were an anglophone company? 

If the latter, surely someone should have told them by now...
    I almost wish it were that. Then I could tell them off ... :-x
    But sadly, it's completely correct Dutch/Flemish grammar. Crazy grammar, but correct grammar. :fp

What's with the name "Willems Veranda's", or, more specifically, with the apostrophe in it? 
    The Dutchies, for some strange reason, form the plural of a word ending in a vowel by adding 's instead of only a s as every other language in the world.
    It's bad if that slips into casual typing in e.g. English ... it's worse if that's how a team that's going to compete in a mostly non-Batavophone world is going to call itself. :fp :fp

it's one veranda, but two veranda's in Dutch. Normally the plural would be verandaas, but they shorten double vowels with an apostrophe - as far as I can see at least
    Or that.
    Which is even worse still - it gives an impression of genitive case when nothing could be further from the truth.
    And how much shorter is a word going to be if you replace a double vowel with one vowel + an apostrophe?! :fp :fp :fp
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #130 on: December 13, 2016, 20:42 »
    You mean Fus right?  :lol
    Hey, I am not that pedantic! :angry

Who am I kidding. I am that pedantic. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #131 on: December 13, 2016, 21:51 »
    I almost wish it were that. Then I could tell them off ... :-x
    But sadly, it's completely correct Dutch/Flemish grammar. Crazy grammar, but correct grammar. :fp
    The Dutchies, for some strange reason, form the plural of a word ending in a vowel by adding 's instead of only a s as every other language in the world.
    It's bad if that slips into casual typing in e.g. English ... it's worse if that's how a team that's going to compete in a mostly non-Batavophone world is going to call itself. :fp :fp
    Or that.
    Which is even worse still - it gives an impression of genitive case when nothing could be further from the truth.
    And how much shorter is a word going to be if you replace a double vowel with one vowel + an apostrophe?! :fp :fp :fp

Admit it, you're just jealous of how interesting our language is compared to boring old German :)

Search is correct by the way. Veranda is pronounced with a long 'a' at the end. So you can't use 'verandas' as the plural because that would change the pronounciation to short a. Verandaas would be pronounced correctly but just looks weird. Also it would be too easy for non-native speakers to understand, and we definitely don't want that. Hence veranda's.

And just to wind up Fus, a couple of Dutch words and their plurals:

Euro - euro's (euro)
    Stilte - stiltes (silence)
    Huis - huizen (house)
    Weg - wegen (road)
    Heg - heggen (hedge)
    Schip - schepen (ship)
    Raam - ramen (window)
    Koe - koeien (cow)
    Idee - Ideeën (idea)
    Datum - data (date)
    Ei - eieren (egg)

Does it make sense now you see it a few times, Fus? ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #132 on: December 13, 2016, 22:43 »
    Verandaas would be pronounced correctly but just looks weird. Also it would be too easy for non-native speakers to understand, and we definitely don't want that. Hence veranda's.
    Yeah, who'd want a language that would be easy for foreigners to understand? :fp

Idee - Ideeën (idea)
    Explain why you don't just spell it Ide'en?
    That would actually make some (crazy & twisted) sense! :S
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3791
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #133 on: December 14, 2016, 06:55 »
    The apostrophe is only reserved for plurals ending with -s. Why do we use both -en and -s? Don't know  :)
    Another thing
    The plural of idee is ideeën, industrie - industrieën but the plural of bacterie is bacteriën 1 e  :o it depends on what part of the word the emphasis is on

And for genitive cases we just add the s without an apostrophe :win so Willems Veranda's could be both porches by a family/company named Willems or porches by a guy named Willem  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 16:50 by Flo, Reason: Typo »
    RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #134 on: December 14, 2016, 07:09 »
    The apostrophe is only reserved for plurals ending with -s. Why do we use both -en and -s? Don't know  :)
    Another thing
    The plural of idee is ideeën, industrie - industrieën but the plural of bacterie is bacteriën 1 e  :o it depends on what part of the word the emphasis is on

And for genitive cases we just add the s without an apostrophe :win so Willems Veranda's could be both porches by a family/company named Willems or porches by an guy named Willem  :cool
    :fp :fp :fp

I love Dutch & Flemish, the language, the culture, and the countries - but this is just wrong on so many levels. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    « Reply #135 on: December 14, 2016, 07:41 »
    Thanks for the linguistic info: you learn something, as they say, every day.

The company, meantime, seem so embarrassed by the spelling of their product that they have allowed the kit to be released without the name being visible in any photo in which the rider is standing upright.  One sponsor that will not be happy with the traditional sit-up-and-zip-up finish if they win a race.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #136 on: December 14, 2016, 11:21 »
    Thanks for the linguistic info: you learn something, as they say, every day.

Indeed. For me, it was "Batavophone." I've never encountered that term before. Ever. :slow

But now I know.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #137 on: December 14, 2016, 13:57 »
    Indeed. For me, it was "Batavophone." I've never encountered that term before. Ever. :slow
    I may have invented that word on the spot. :D

EDIT: Nope, it exists. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #138 on: December 14, 2016, 15:16 »
    #delta Delta Cycling Rotterdam:
    https://twitter.com/ctderijke/status/809047158255190016

Looks dull, but they went the extra mile and explained the idea behind (in *nl):

Conscious choices not to put the logos of minor partners on the jersey and go for black shorts. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10576
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #139 on: December 15, 2016, 09:16 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10576
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #140 on: December 15, 2016, 09:28 »
    sneek peak #jumbo

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #141 on: December 15, 2016, 10:20 »

Nice.
    They got rid of the weird fading into white that looked kind of strange. This is better.

sneek peak #jumbo

More yellow? :cool
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #142 on: December 15, 2016, 10:51 »
    #bardiani Bardiani :win :win

BARDIANI-CSF SHOWS 2017 RACING KIT

The color orange will be the new entry on 2017 Bardiani-CSF racing kit, realized for the third consecutive season by Italian cycling clothing brand Alè.

The new graphic has the white color dominating the front of the jersey, with title sponsors Bardiani Valvole and CSF Inox in the middle. Official sponsors of the team will also have evidence in the front - Alè, Gaerne, Cipollini, MBS, Omac and new addition Bardiani Canada, branch of the Italian company for the American market. On the chest there’s the Italian badge, emblem of the win of 2016 Italian cup. The “Tricolore” will be recalled also by a thin line on the right side of the jersey.

On shoulders, collar and shorts hems has strong evidence new official sponsor CST and its brand color, orange.

Green color, which always distinguished the sport project of the team, covers the back of the jersey as well as the shorts, together with black inserts on the thigh.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #143 on: December 15, 2016, 11:06 »

And they call themselves #GreenTeam?

Should have gone down the way of the 2008 jersey and made the front in green & white hoops, with orange sleeves. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3791
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #144 on: December 15, 2016, 17:29 »
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    « Reply #145 on: December 15, 2016, 23:54 »

Slightly less white: different piece of the text on a black background, and possibly a more emerald/less sage shade of green, but essentially unchanged.  Still simple and classy.

• ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 712
    • Loving this weather... not.
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #146 on: December 16, 2016, 09:20 »
    Always a classic. Barely changed for decades and still looks awesome.

I will own one some day !
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #147 on: December 16, 2016, 12:31 »

Slightly less white: different piece of the text on a black background, and possibly a more emerald/less sage shade of green, but essentially unchanged.  Still simple and classy.

#EquipoVerde  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #148 on: December 17, 2016, 04:15 »

<Gulp> :wut

Three bright colors, is two too many...IMHO.  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #149 on: December 19, 2016, 09:29 »
    #fantini  :luv

• ReplyReply

•