collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1041
Knocking on Heaven's D'Hoore
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:55 »
Is the rather silly pun made by Sport Foot Magazine on 25 August 2016. The Dutch-speaking counterpart Sport Voetbalmagazine headlined their article "Dwars D'Hoore Alles Heen" ("Across everything", you know the "Dwars door" construct from several Lowland races of course).

Very interesting article.

Dwars D’Hoore Alles Heen (“Across Everything”)

“The Omnium rules are very simple. The girls are doing those track tours over six contests and in the end Laura Trott always wins” tweeted a British journalist after the “multiple cycling contests”, last Tuesday. At age barely 24 the Brit has conquered her 24th gold medal in a major Championship, including 4 in 4 at the Olympics in London and Rio. British trackies have conquered 6 of the 10 track Olympic titles and they are so impressive that the Brazilian TV called Sarah Hammer (32 y.o.) and Jolien D’Hoore (aged 26) the #1 and #2 of mere mortals.

The fact that the cyclist of Schelderode had to leave the second place to Hammer who is more experienced and clearly stronger (she had already been 2nd in London) is secondary: after a 5th place in 2012, 2 4th places and a 6th one during the last three Worlds, she finally got her medal. Why did she succeed in Rio after having each time failed by a small margin? Because in the course of these 4 years, D’Hoore has sharpened all her strong points.

To this end she partly benefitted from the team that the Flemish federation created around her with the national track coach, Peter Pieters, the coordinator of high level sport and trainer Koen Beeckman, Erwin Koninckx who is responsible for the equipment and test analysis, dietician Stephanie Scheirlinck and psychologiqt Bert De Cuyper. That team met every month in order to plan the road that was meant to bring D’Hoore to Rio.

Strict Diet

First important point: a lighter road calendar than previous years, which wasn’t easy because since 2015 the Flandrian has been under contract with the British team Wiggle-High5.
Jolien fractured a rib in early January (she crashed at the Hong Kong World Cup, ed) and did not race until the track Worlds. You could see it at her results: She lacked the distance in the longer distances (scratch, elimination, point race), those in which she traditionally shines in. She gradually found condition back by taking part in several small stage races and alternating with specific sessions on the track (at high pedal frequency and gear) and by raising power and corestability in order to work on her weaker points (the pursuit, the track lap and the 500 meters). Moreover, last May, Jolien three times in five days in the high altitude room of the Bakala Center in Leuven. At home, she slept in a pressurized tent lent to her by the federation and laid in her garden (next to the D’Hoore chickens and goats, ed.)
With the help of dietician Stéphanie Scheirlynck, Jolien also followed a strict diet adapted to the calorie consumption of trainings or of the day’s race. According to that she ate more or less egg whites or carbon hydrates: every gram was counted. That way she lost 5% body fat without losing weight, which means she raised her muscle mass. And that could be seen because her maximum capacities measured in five seconds during 30 second, one minute and five minute efforts have raised by more than 10%. It’s huge at the highest level

Jolien D’Hoore claims to have suffered a thousand deaths during the omnium’s point race but she pushed off the limits of pain in order to grab a medal, the objective which she had worked with an enormous lot of assiduity for four years.
Koen Beeckman (in the yellow frame on Page 2)
When Jolien was on her kneecaps, her enormous willpower took over. A pure obstinate person

Top Equipment

She also gave a lot of importance to the equipment.
Jolien underwent more than 20 tests in the new “Flander’s Bike Valley” wind tunnel in Paal. It enabled her to find the best possible helmet/equipment/position. Ridley also manufactured new specific bikes for the pursuit and the track tour. High quality and super aerodynamic equipment like the wheels, the kit, the socks, the helmet and Jolien’s shoes. The whole package represents a one-second gain per kilometer, not talking about the fact Jolien gets less tired.
says Beeckman. 

All these improvements could be seen at the Worlds in London but even more in Rio where, in the pursuit (3km), D’Hoore bested her personal record (at sea level) by more than six seconds, getting third place. In 500m, despite a bad start, she finished 4th and also improved her personal record at sea level. Only the track tour was less good, with 7th place as outcome.

D’Hoore added up two second places at the scratch (a 10km contest) and at the elimination race (each time behind the unbeatable Trott) and a third place at the point race – much better than at the Worlds in London.

It is due to the fact she’s got more long distance and stamina now but also due to our numerous video analysis of the contenders. Jolien was prepared for any scenarios and she chose the right tactic each time, even when she was on her kneecaps, her enormous willpower took over.  A pure obstinate person, isn’t she?
No Mobile Phone, Only Books

Unlike the previous years, where she sometimes put too much pressure on herself, the cyclist of Schelderode seemed surprisingly relaxed in Rio, only leaving rooms to emotions afterwards.
Just like in London 2012 – a crucial experience which she drew the conclusions of in Rio -, Jolien isolated herself from the world: no mobile phones, no laptop, no social network and very few contacts with her parents. She relaxed with reading. The federation had rented a flat near the velodrome – the Olympic village being rather far – and Jolien relaxed there at lunch time, between two contests. That’s how she remained focused and quiet for two days.

A very important aspect for someone who had prepared herself in such a fanatical way as D’Hoore and had sacrificed everything for an objective, included her social life.
If Jolien had to take a plane at 10pm, she would wake up at 6am in order to still be able to train. No problem because she usually went to bed at 9 or 10pm. Her diet, she also followed it to every details. During dinner after her bronze medal, Jolien has eaten fries for the first time since November 2012 [Het Belang van Limburg says they went to a McDonald, yikes!!] … And believe me: after all those months of hyper focused living and training, they tasted huge
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 18:31 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Re: Knocking on Heaven's D'Hoore
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 16:52 »

Gazet van Antwerpen, yesterday.

Jolien D'Hoore will only be satisfied with gold.

What Belgium does not have in the men's race they have in the women's race: a top sprinter.

So Jolien is working with a manager who cares for her agenda. It's no consequence of the bronze medal, she's been working with him for about a year but after Rio, he was really needed. However contacts did not come from sponsors. Financially nothing changed for her except the 20,000€ bonus from the Belgian Olympic Committee. In other countries it's different, she says.

Because of the medal, it was very easy for her to focus again on another objective because she's got less pressure now. Her season is a success anyway. Her prep on the track for Rio was ideal for the Worlds. It's a lot different for the women who raced road in Rio and had a damn hard route in contrast with the pan flat Worlds route. She realises that she's made the transition very comfortably. The first two weeks after Rio was a lot of decompression, one week absolutely no bike but she started training back straight after being back home and in the meantime she won that race in Spain, so the good legs are still there.

Last year she also was a top favourite but she's rarely been so disappointed. She and the federation had expected more. In retrospect she realised that the route was harder than expected. This ear it's different. The route is taylor-made for her. It's a unique chance. In Austria and Norway in the next two years, he route won't suit her.

She regrets a lot that women are not making a loop in the desert like men do because she loves good echelon races. They only stay on the local circuit on the Pearl. For them it just becomes a big criterium. Though with women you never know. With the heat it can become a battle of exhaustion whereby only a small group will sprint for the wind. Besides, unlike with the men, there are no big groups capable of controlling the race. If within the last 5k there's an attack, it might not be possible to catch it back. A surprise sure is possible.

She rates the Olympics higher than the Worlds because you have them every 4 years while you have Worlds every year.

Article of De Morgen today.

Jolien claimed that during the Boels Rental Tour she felt every day better. National coach Ludwig Willems said even though she invested a lot on the Olympics ou could hardly talk about decompression, she started training back very hard for the Worlds.

The five teammates are all at her service (multitalented) Lotte Kopecky, Vekemans, Demey, De Vuyst and Van der Meulen. She's hoping for a quiet race in which she can wheelsuck all day long and pop up in the last 200m.

She has never raced in such hot conditions but she trained for it in the Leuven climate chamber. It was suffering, undoable.

(Belang van Limburg, TODAY)

Anisha Vekemans has also trained in the climate room of the Bakala Academy but she could hardly recover from it. A few das after wads she was supposed to race with Junior men in Herk-De-Stad but she retired early in the race. Gerben Thijssen claims that you have to see what it brings in in Qatar because it is different than a climate chamber. Anisha claims that everybody knows her task in the team and that hopefully will bring Jolien to the win. Jolien has the best chances, she's a sprinter and she proved in Madrid that she was preparing okay for the Worlds.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 16:19 »
    Jolien D'Hoore cam back to Belgium yesterday, disappointed from Qatar.  :(

(Today's Nieuwsblad)

lol @ the tattoo :fp)

It all went wrong on the long Pearl Boulevard. Jolien D'Hoore stood just too far on the last U-turn and to start her sprint comfortably. Lotte Kopecky tried to bring her back to the front but in the meantime the Dutch sprint train for Kirsten Wild was already at full speed, just like the Australian one. Jolien refused to point the finger to teammates even though Valerie Demey thought that Belgium lacked a wagon

They did a great job. I only have to blame myself.

Said the very disappointed top sprinter.

The leading lady of Belgian cycling was supported by four riders to chase breakaways and Lotte Kopecky as lead out in the finale. Kopecky did everything to help Belgium with D'Hoore but blew out in the final 2k.

I was in about 20th place. I reckoned I could take the wheels of the German girls but in the end I had to do it all by myself whereby I started my sprint before it really began.

Jolien started and finished the sprint in 10th place. She gave a punch on her bars out of disappointment and frustration.

Shame, I should have started the early started sprint in 3rd or 4th place. Today was all about Kirsten Wild's wheel. Dideriksen had it. Amalie is still a surprising World champion for me but at the same time not reall. Hats off, she's a very strong Dane. She als raced the omnium in Rio where she was 5th ut I et wouldn't have expected her in rainbow

Jolien is expected in Paris for the Euro track Championships next Wednesday. The author of the article is talking about a memorable season with Olympic bronze and that Madrid farce but Jolien adds, unfortunately no World title. "That was still one of the two main objectives of the year." She was very hard against herself, says the journalist.

Article from Gazet van Antwerpen but roughly the same.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 18:21 by Echoes »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:58 »
    YEEEAAAH JOLIIIIIIIEN !!!!!

Silver medal at the Point Race of the Euro Track championship. Knowing her she must be p*ssed but I think it's a nice performance after the Qatar disillusion.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 14:07 »
    EUROPEAN CHAMPION MADISON WITH LOTTE KOPECKY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cool

Lotte was also bronze medalist at the omnium:)

https://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/detail_jolien-d-hoore-et-lotte-kopecky-championnes-d-europe-du-madison?id=9437972
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 16:36 »

Sportwereld which is te sport extra of het Nieuwsblad makes a nice pun about Jolien and Lotte's performances (along with the other Belgian performances because Belgium never got so man medals at the Euro track championships!!)

VELO-DROOM! Which means "Velo dream" of course.

Last year in Grenchen, Belgian track cycling is in bags and ashes and now it's euphoria.

Track coach Peter Pieters:

What we did here was unhoped-for. Jolien D'Hoore confirms her status. Lotte Kopecky is making huge progress. Nicky De Grendele surprised in the most pleasant sense. In the sprint, it could have been better.

Roughly the same article in the Gazet van Antwerpen headlines:
    What a Luxury! Never Have Belgium Won So Many Medals at the Euro Championship

An article about Jolien's loss at the Point Race in the Belang van Limburg, last Saturday:

She looked very sad and disappointed on the picture. That's Jolien she doesn't like defeats, medals are only good at the Olympics.

The author says: "Had the Pole Katarzyna Pawlowska pushed her front wheel a bit and she was European champion, not Kirsten Wild" 

I knew I had to win the final sprint and then it would all depend on the points Kirsten would have grabbed.

However beforehand she had explained that the Point Race was just a warm-up for the Madison.

There we go for more. It's nice to take silver as warm-up but at the end of the day we always go for win. I wasn't 100%. I wanted to pick up points very quickly without wasting too much energy. In Qatar the condition was good and I confirm it today. Losing by one point is bitter but it's the race. It's nothing more than a consolation prize. Lotte and I go full of confidence for the Madison. The chance is high that the Dutchies will be the fiercest opponents.

:) :)
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 21:17 »

Articles from Het Laatste Nieuws and De Morgen today.

Already Dreaming of 2020 Tokyo

In Rio, Jolien was decided:
    I’m leaving the omnium for what it is. It’s now Lotte Kopecky’s turn. Lotte is still very young but what a strong bear.

This bear got the bronze medal in the omnium last weekend at the Euro track championship behind Archibald and Wild in a new style omnium, raced in one day. An experience for Tokyo 2020.
    More accessible for a broader rider genre, not just the pure sprinter types. Even more suited to Lotte, more oriented towards endurance. Kopecky is a multitalent and has strength to sell. She doesn’t have Jolien’s top speed (yet) but she’s got huge athletic capacities whereby at age 21 she is faster than D’Hoore in ITT’s.
    (says Jos Smets the national director)

Jolien is sure that Lotte’s intrinsic lack of sprint is just a matter of time:
    She’s working on it. Within a few years she’ll be ready to harvest.

Yet Jolien keeps training on the track, partly thanks to Lotte Kopecky. They won the 1st ever Madison Euro championship and it’s meant to be on the Tokyo Olympics agenda in 2020.

According to Jos Smets, the request came from Australia and the UK was directly in the car. Belgium and other countries reacted enthusiastically. The decision comes in Autumn 2017.

Jolien is already enthusiastic and Lotte got taste for it. High basic speed coupled with huge endurance capacity: D’Hoore-Kopecky is the ideal Madison duo.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1414
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 18:04 »
     I was in Paris for all 5 days of the Euro's last week, so I got to see D'Hoore in action.
    She lost out on the points gold by a matter of a (Polish) tyre width.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 18:07 »
    Lucky you. Yes, it was really close for her.

On another news, Jolien will be honoured for Bronze Olympic medal during the Six-Days of Ghent on the Saturday. :) That is the 19th of November.

An omnium will be held on that occasion, in which Jolien won't take part but Lotte Kopecky will.  :cool

Source is today's L'Avenir.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 13:29 »
    I was buying a few bits at my favourite bike store in September, the same one where I encountered that fool Sergei Lagutin a couple of years ago and cursed him never to win anything, until this year's Vuelta anyway.

Jolien D'Hoore was there this time and she appeared to be paying for bike kit out of her own pocket, which was a bit scandalous. I do hope she gets to claim tax relief or something like that.

In common with most "famous" people in the flesh, she was a lot smaller than I'd imagined her from photos etc, but also a fair bit broader too, looking every bit the fast woman. Not much of a tan though, since I guess she spent most of Rio in the velodrome.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5653
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 14:19 »
    Jolien D'Hoore was there this time and she appeared to be paying for bike kit out of her own pocket, which was a bit scandalous. I do hope she gets to claim tax relief or something like that.
    Maybe she wanted stuff from a company that isn't a #wiggle team sponsor?
    But it could just as well be that she doesn't get much more than a (couple of) bikes, some kit and travel expenses. :(
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 14:50 »
    Maybe she wanted stuff from a company that isn't a #wiggle team sponsor?
    But it could just as well be that she doesn't get much more than a (couple of) bikes, some kit and travel expenses. :(

I think D'Hoore gets a salary from the Topsport foundation as an Olympian. It's a pretty decent living if you're on that programme, as far as I know, not unlike the arrangement Tony Martin and Kristina Vogel have with their national police. I was chatting about it recently with someone who knows someone who knows someone on it. When you're done with competition, you sort of segue into an administrative or teaching or coaching type of job. In the meantime, she also does a lot of public appearances, quiz shows etc.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5653
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 14:52 »
    D'Hoore gets a salary from the Topsport foundation as an Olympian.
    I see.
    Well, in that case, my guess is she wanted some non-sponsor stuff which she naturally would have to pay for. That probably happens a lot if a rider prefers one brand over another.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 17:16 »
    I think D'Hoore gets a salary from the Topsport foundation as an Olympian. It's a pretty decent living if you're on that programme, as far as I know, not unlike the arrangement Tony Martin and Kristina Vogel have with their national police. I was chatting about it recently with someone who knows someone who knows someone on it. When you're done with competition, you sort of segue into an administrative or teaching or coaching type of job. In the meantime, she also does a lot of public appearances, quiz shows etc.

I heard all the specifics of the how Vogel and co get funded by the national police, straight from Miriam Welte.
    We were ferrying her and, wait for it......................
    ......................................................Jess Varnish :D for a meal with the rest of the GB squad, after the Hyeres meet, back in Summer'13.
    Ironically, it was Jess who was doing the probing.
    They have to work roughly 60% of a normal shift rota. Obviously, it's pretty flexible as to when the time is put in.
    For that, they got a standard cop wage, which at the time, Miriam said was about €24-25,000.
    Jess then asked Miriam whether they had a sponsorship deal on top. No, was the answer.
    Bare in mind MW was a current Olympic champion at the time, so I was surprised, given the top GB riders (JV did) do.
    Jess said: "Oh that's good."
    Which gives a little insight as to how truthful JV can be! :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 17:30 by Mellow Velo »

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 08:38 »
    I heard all the specifics of the how Vogel and co get funded by the national police, straight from Miriam Welte.
    We were ferrying her and, wait for it......................
    ......................................................Jess Varnish :D for a meal with the rest of the GB squad, after the Hyeres meet, back in Summer'13.
    Ironically, it was Jess who was doing the probing.
    They have to work roughly 60% of a normal shift rota. Obviously, it's pretty flexible as to when the time is put in.
    For that, they got a standard cop wage, which at the time, Miriam said was about €24-25,000.
    Jess then asked Miriam whether they had a sponsorship deal on top. No, was the answer.
    Bare in mind MW was a current Olympic champion at the time, so I was surprised, given the top GB riders (JV did) do.
    Jess said: "Oh that's good."
    Which gives a little insight as to how truthful JV can be! :lol

Sounds about right. I think the sort of work they do is not what most people think of as police work. As I understand it, they're not out there in uniform solving crime. :)

As with most things public in Belgium, the Topsport initiative is regional (Flanders only) and pretty complex at first glance. It covers athlete support on an individual and team basis but it is also connected with a broader programme of grassroots development and event sponsoring under the auspices of government-funded Sport Vlaanderen. Cycling is far from being the only target but it is certainly one of the banner sports.

There was a TV show in the summer following a selection of Olympians including D'Hoore but I didn't see it. I would think that it made for more edifying content than last season's Jani gaat..., in which the famously camp titular presenter "embedded" with Etixx-QuickStep. That was a half hour I'll never get back. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 21:34 »

Today's Laatste Nieuws

Want to Stand All Spring Long

After a year in which Jolien D’Hoore successfully worked for Rio she gets back on the road this year.

Finally! I needed it. My build-up went perfectly according to plan. I start this season in good condition. The Omloop is the first value test. I’m ready for it physically as much as mentally. I hope I can contend for victory several times. The Omloop and Flanders but also Dwars door België Vlaanderen and Ghent-Wevelgem are on my bucket list.

D’Hoore wants to perform all season long.

Who are her main opponents according to herself?

Ellen Van Dijk

Former ice skater has already got 5 rainbow jersey in her cupboard: one on the track, one in the ITT, 3 in TTT’s [hmm TTT offers no rainbow, thank God ??] of which the last one in Qatar last year. We mainly know Ellen as a ITT specialist but she can also handle in-line races like in 2014 when she won the Tour of Flanders after a long solo at the end of which she pushed her opponents 1’ behind her. In 2015 she got outsprinted by Anna Van der Breggen. She’s left topteam Boels-Dolmans for Sunweb this year where she can rely on the support of Dutch [prodigy] Fleur Makaaij and the Canadian [Leah?] Kirchmann.

Elizabeth [Armitstead]

Perhaps the top favourite for the main event in the spring season. At the Omloop she still won’t be but mark her name for the other main events. The rainbow jersey at Richmond 2015 gave her wings: last year she won the Omloop, the Strade Bianche and the Tour of Flanders. Problem : Clinic related, cannot be discussed here.

Amy Pieters

Amy Pieters won the Omloop in 2014 ahead of now retired Emma Johansson and Ellizabeth Armitstead. She’s a successful trackie who since 2014 is very strong on the road too. Despite Van Dijk’s move to Sunweb and Armitstead’s absence, Boels-Dolmans (Women’s equivalent to Quickstep) is still the team to beat at the Omloop. They have Chantal Blaak, Amalie Diederiksen, Amy Pieters and Megan Guarnier in their ranks. All of them top guns who can win.

Chantal Blaak

Blaak has been racing at a high level for years but since 2015 she’s started to perform in high regarded races. That’s how she won the Samyn and finished 4th at the Omloop. Last year Blaak broke through completely with wins in Ghent-Wevelgem and the Tour of Drenthe, both WT races. Also in the Samyn Memorial she was the strongest again. In the Omloop she was 2nd and 3rd at the Tour of Flanders.

Gracie Elvin

Perhaps the most unexpected name on Jolien’s list of favourites . The dual Australian champion is not really well known for the greater audience but she is a very consistent rider winning Gooik-Geraardsbergen-Gooik back to back. She will start the Omloop with the better build-up of all because many of them miss race rhythm due to the cancellation of the Tour of Qatar. Orica has already raced the Ocean Race and the Australian nats which can be an advantage.

Also the four riders below should be watched out for

Lotte Kopecky

A little bit of chauvinism does no harm though there are more reason to include the bitter young Lotte Kopecky in the list. She’s a top talent who feels better and better among the top of Women’s Cycling. Last year she made huge progress, rewarded with 2nd place at the nats to Kaat Hannes but ahead of D’Hoore. Also on the track she belongs to the Worlds top and won last Saturday a World Cup event in Cali, Columbia.

Marianne Vos

Of course Marianne Vos belongs in this list of favourite. She’s had a hard period in recent years but she still has her undisputable talent. Last year she got back to top level and even last winter she proved in cyclocross that she gradually got back to her best level. She soon will manage to contend for classic wins. Be careful: don’t look for her at the Omloop because after her heavy winter season she’s postponed her return on the road to the Strade Bianche (4 March).

Chloe Hosking

Chloe Hosking was till last year Jolien’s teammate and at the same time her regular leadout woman in the sprints, which led to several success [Madrid?]. This year she races for Alé […]. As pure sprinter she probably comes short for win at the Tour of Flanders but at the Omloop she might score. Like Elvin she has already raced in her home country, that’s how she won a stage and the point classification of the Santos Women’s Tour.

Amalie Dideriksen

The Dane is still very young but she outsprinted a whole bunch at the Worlds and that was no accident since she had already got two titles among the juniors. Big handicap: she has only raced a certain amount of Flemish races in 2015. A lack of route knowledge can impair her performances.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 13:30 by Echoes »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 19:28 »
    http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170412_02831194

New Bronze Medal for Jolien D'Hoore on the Worlds scratch race. She was disappointed at first because she's a winner at heart but quickly the disappointment turned into satisfaction said Koen Beeckman. Sarah Hammer and Kirsten Wild had more reason to be peeed as they kept a sharp eye on each other and ended beside the podium. Elinor Barber seemed to go for the wind but was caught up by Rachele Barbieri, the European Champion.

The Madison with Jolien and Lotte Kopecky is next Saturday.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 20:24 »
    http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170412_02831194

New Bronze Medal for Jolien D'Hoore on the Worlds scratch race. She was disappointed at first because she's a winner at heart but quickly the disappointment turned into satisfaction said Koen Beeckman. Sarah Hammer and Kirsten Wild had more reason to be peeed as they kept a sharp eye on each other and ended beside the podium. Elinor Barber seemed to go for the wind but was caught up by Rachele Barbieri, the European Champion.

The Madison with Jolien and Lotte Kopecky is next Saturday.  :)

I saw the race.
    All the riders involved in the finishing sprint had just successfully taken a complete lap.
    So, they were by far the strongest in the race, but of them, only the Italian had sat on the back and refused to contribute.
    Ellie Barker would have won, but for that.

• ReplyReply

•