collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3276
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: Helmet love ...
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 23:01 »
His reasoning was that, for small, local, or low speed trips, he felt that riding with a helmet actually created greater risk.

My take on it was that those were observations he made after-the-fact, but didn't necessarily play a role in why he left the helmet behind to begin with.

The contrarian angle, as you say, may have had more to do with it. It's funny, because the vast majority of flak that I've ever received about riding without a helmet, comes from other cyclists—as if we don't already have enough to contend with when out riding.

Quite frankly though, it really peees me off. I couldn't care less what some other cyclists thinks I should or shouldn't be doing (unless I was actually riding irresponsibly and putting others at risk). And as I get older, I have less and less patience for such things. To me, it's almost always a misplaced sense of authoritarianism. I don't believe for one second that they actually have my own wellbeing in mind, nor they truly believe that "their tax dollars" are going to be strained by paying for any injuries I may incur.

As I believe Peter Flax mentioned as well: If any of the faux indignation were genuine, then those same people would be clamoring for all motorists to be wearing helmets.  My initial thought of resistance is usually along the lines of,  I've been doing this for well over 40 years. Don't tell me how to ride a bicycle, ffs.

Ahhh...now I'm getting riled up. I better take a breather.  :angel
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Helmet love ...
    « Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 06:30 »
    I always wear a helmet when riding my race bike.

When I'm going to the shops on my city bike, I never do.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean