collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10833
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
The official Lance Armstrong thread
« on: January 26, 2012, 18:59 »
All news and discussions re Doping and Lance Armstrong
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Thoughtforfood

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 7
    Re: The official Lance Armstrong thread
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 22:22 »
    I'll start this off with an insightful, well thought out post: Lance sucks.
  • ReplyReply
  • "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." ~ Thoreau

Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 22:30 »
    I'll start this off with an insightful, well thought out post: Lance sucks.

Oh good, you've settled right in. ;D

Enjoy, laters..............I will tell you this, though - like SoCal, my views have changed since 09 and I will admit to having maintained the wool over my own eyes for too long. That is no longer the case. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

doolols

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 33
    « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:09 »
    I sometimes wonder whether Lance doping is like spotting UFOs. Lots of people have seen evidence, apparently, but there never seems *quite* enough positive proof.

Another question is: is he too big to indict? Or will they, too, suffer from lack of hard evidence?

Just wondering. I've only fairly recently got interested in the sport of cycling, and like A/H, I was a fan until I read more of his story. To my mind, there's so much circumstantial evidence and so many witness statements that there's no doubt he doped. I just hope they can build a case against him for something.
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 370
    « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:42 »
    I sometimes wonder whether Lance doping is like spotting UFOs. Lots of people have seen evidence, apparently, but there never seems *quite* enough positive proof.

Another question is: is he too big to indict? Or will they, too, suffer from lack of hard evidence?

Just wondering. I've only fairly recently got interested in the sport of cycling, and like A/H, I was a fan until I read more of his story. To my mind, there's so much circumstantial evidence and so many witness statements that there's no doubt he doped. I just hope they can build a case against him for something.

you do realise that if they indict it will not really be considering doping itself, since this in itself cannot really be punished by US law, as the majority of the doping took place on foreign soil. That is not even taking into account whether doping itself is illegal in the US.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 01:52 »
    Oh good, you've settled right in. ;D

Enjoy, laters..............I will tell you this, though - like SoCal, my views have changed since 09 and I will admit to having maintained the wool over my own eyes for too long. That is no longer the case. ;)

So you don't like Lance or you like Lance, but acknowledge he doped?
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 02:18 »
    Is this part of the forum bilingual?
    Remember Lance and the 20 minute shower? Now that's some douche!

I'll show myself out.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 07:41 »
    Is this part of the forum bilingual?
    Remember Lance and the 20 minute shower? Now that's some douche!

I'll show myself out.

don´t let the door hit you on the ass  ;D ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:44 »
    When i was a kid and didn't know better(before i read the clinic :P) i used to support Lance,i thought he was the greatest human being alive for winning 7 it times and sh*t like that.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21 »
    I find it hard to believe that people can still defend him.

But then people follow Ron Hubbard's gibberesh and Branch Davidians are not a singular in their idiocy so people want to believe so bad that they become totally irrational.

Armstrong wont be done for doping but something far bigger, transportation, misuse, dealing of illegal substances.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 10:55 »
    I find it hard to believe that people can still defend him.

But then people follow Ron Hubbard's gibberesh and Branch Davidians are not a singular in their idiocy so people want to believe so bad that they become totally irrational.

Armstrong wont be done for doping but something far bigger, transportation, misuse, dealing of illegal substances.

Have to say i used to be very naive with regards doping and after reading lances first book really admired him. Now, partially through the publicity and more through CN forum have been hit with the truth and frankly it is disappointing. The more someone is built up as this kind of perfect hero figure the harder it is to realise they are the same as everyone else. In fact they are worse because of the way he carries himself throughout. for some it is too hard and they choose the blinkered approach instead.

I recently bought Michael Barry's book 'In the postal bus' (as i loved Le Metier) and really could not stomach it with what is known now.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 11:13 »
    Have to say i used to be very naive with regards doping and after reading lances first book really admired him. Now, partially through the publicity and more through CN forum have been hit with the truth and frankly it is disappointing. The more someone is built up as this kind of perfect hero figure the harder it is to realise they are the same as everyone else. In fact they are worse because of the way he carries himself throughout. for some it is too hard and they choose the blinkered approach instead.

I recently bought Michael Barry's book 'In the postal bus' (as i loved Le Metier) and really could not stomach it with what is known now.

I found it sad that riders still think fans are stupid. They all know about the Clinic and I imagine most visit at least once a week and read threads, probably having a good laugh at how wide of the mark some it is and at other times feeling shivers down their spines about how accurate some of it is yet they still try to perpetuate the myth that they ride on nothing much more than evian water.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 11:28 »
    I found it sad that riders still think fans are stupid. They all know about the Clinic and I imagine most visit at least once a week and read threads, probably having a good laugh at how wide of the mark some it is and at other times feeling shivers down their spines about how accurate some of it is yet they still try to perpetuate the myth that they ride on nothing much more than evian water.

it is an eye opener, but it is important to remember that 90% of fans are that stupid (or just do not care)
    Am hoping with a new start here can have reasonable doping discussion that is more technical and less emotional
    Find the clinic educational but so much personal stuff and conjecture about certain riders based on very little that it is hard to take it seriously

am more interested in understanding the process, the signs, the more substantial stories about riders, not just x won a race must be doping.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 11:35 »
    it is an eye opener, but it is important to remember that 90% of fans are that stupid (or just do not care)
    Am hoping with a new start here can have reasonable doping discussion that is more technical and less emotional
    Find the clinic educational but so much personal stuff and conjecture about certain riders based on very little that it is hard to take it seriously

am more interested in understanding the process, the signs, the more substantial stories about riders, not just x won a race must be doping.

would be good a real tell book is required imo

thats while Dave Millars book was such a disappointment nice read but felt a little empty , i really what to know more about the process.

maybe something for Joe Papp since he is bored at the moment 
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 12:11 »
    would be good a real tell book is required imo

thats while Dave Millars book was such a disappointment nice read but felt a little empty , i really what to know more about the process.

maybe something for Joe Papp since he is bored at the moment

Even millars book was educational to me  ::) for example i had never really understood that the benefit from blood boosting was from using it ahead of a race rather than at a race. It was also interesting to read about the pressures.

Tell All books unlikely to happen. Just seen teh interview with Dekker where part of his deal with Garmin was to sit down with the UCI and discuss what happened. and yet he still said that he gave up no names.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 12:19 »
    Well talking to the UCI is a PR exercise and nothing else. That is what is so pathetic about Garmin and their 'team clean' spin. Everyone knows that while UCI is run by McQuaid nowt will be done about doping, so why ask Dekker to talk to them?

The best thing that can come from Armstrong being convicted of serious charges from the sports point of view is that is it will hopefully lead to the media taking UCI, Verbruggen and McQuaid to task and a real shake up of the sport. But ASO has so much power and they care less about riders than the UCI >:(
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 22:25 »
    Well talking to the UCI is a PR exercise and nothing else. That is what is so pathetic about Garmin and their 'team clean' spin. Everyone knows that while UCI is run by McQuaid nowt will be done about doping, so why ask Dekker to talk to them?

The best thing that can come from Armstrong being convicted of serious charges from the sports point of view is that is it will hopefully lead to the media taking UCI, Verbruggen and McQuaid to task and a real shake up of the sport. But ASO has so much power and they care less about riders than the UCI >:(

To be fair if i was Dekker and JV asked me to give up names, right after you JV
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 01:15 »
    So you don't like Lance or you like Lance, but acknowledge he doped?

F*ck me to tears. I just wrote a really long reply to this. When I went to post I was logged out (time limit, nothing to do with the site). I went a page back, my text was gone. I logged back in, text gone. Not going to rewrite now.

In short, I thought my feelings were evident? I used to like him, I used to think he was clean. I no longer like him, I believe that he doped and has been lying for years. I am very sad and disappointed about this, but I don't hate him like some do.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 02:26 »
    when you log in, check the box for "always logged in"
  • ReplyReply

• Training Wheels

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 04:58 »
    Nothing good about Lance and Livestrong then? It would definately be a different World if he had stopped riding once he had been diagnosed with cancer... not sure I would want to speculate on where we would be now ... but it would be different  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Never Stop Exploring!

doolols

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 33
    « Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 18:12 »
    you do realise that if they indict it will not really be considering doping itself, since this in itself cannot really be punished by US law
    Ah yes, I was getting a bit confused, it being early in the morning, red wine, etc etc  ::)

So it's likely he'll still be able to trot out the "never been caught doping" line afterwards. Also, what are the chances that, despite any indictment / punishment, he'll be able to say "I knew nothing about it - it's all a fix by the Haters"?
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 18:19 »
    Ah yes, I was getting a bit confused, it being early in the morning, red wine, etc etc  ::)

So it's likely he'll still be able to trot out the "never been caught doping" line afterwards. Also, what are the chances that, despite any indictment / punishment, he'll be able to say "I knew nothing about it - it's all a fix by the Haters"?

I doubt that he still trot out the 'never tested positive' line as the samples retested from 99 (6 positive) will i imagine be part of the case made by the feds.

You can only use the 'haters' for so long and when there is a mountain of evidence you look stupid shouting its the haters! Most of those posters on a certain website who keep going on about those not pro Armstrong being haters fall to the wayside, why? the evidence is overwhelming at this stage.
  • ReplyReply

• Ryaguas

• WTF?
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 0
    • The Hitch's fan
    « Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 22:56 »
    I never liked him... I always thought that He was an one those american jerks who think that They can come to France to do whatever They want... I didnt even admired him He was just invisible to me...
  • ReplyReply
  • Inspired by Climbing
    Allez Contador

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 22:18 by zam »

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 22:44 »
    On a side note though, USADA said they are still pursuing doping charges and "look forward to seeing the results of the federal enquiry"

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11059/Reports-charges-dropped-in-Lance-ArmstrongUSPS-doping-investigation.aspx

However US Anti Doping Agency CEO Travis T. Tygart has said that the matter isn’t over. “Unlike the U.S. Attorney, USADA’s job is to protect clean sport rather than enforce specific criminal laws,” he indicated in a statement. “Our investigation into doping in the sport of cycling is continuing and we look forward to obtaining the information developed during the federal investigation.”
  • ReplyReply

• MacRoadie

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    "Whoever still can't put one and one together about what happened in cycling is beyond my help."
    Jan Ullrich

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 23:00 »
    Well, thats a pee on the start of the weekend.. :S
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 824
    « Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 23:36 »
    Over the years I have learned to ignore my "what ought to happen" and "surely now" feelings, and set my hopes low, taking an "i'll believe it when I see it" stance....

Feel kinda vindicated for allowing people to insist that as long as we don't have a verdict, nothing is set in stone yet, as long as I felt I was dealing with someone who simply as not convinced that "the outcome" was as clear cut yet.

"He is all but toast?".

Would love to look over Polish's keyboard tonight... an entire Clinic to serve very humble pie to ;D

Not quite as nice a feeling as when ACF was able to peacock about after Cadel bagged the TdF though. I love it when the folk who get pummelled hardest for their "idiotic" views get their 15 minutes back with interest.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 23:40 »
    wow

Im speechless actually
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 23:45 »
    well .... thats um... interesting
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Joelsim
    [December 12, 2017, 23:39]

Re: Team Aqua Blue News by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2017, 17:04]