collapse

MacRoadie

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 1
Re: The official Lance Armstrong thread
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 23:47 »
Over the years I have learned to ignore my "what ought to happen" and "surely now" feelings, and set my hopes low, taking an "i'll believe it when I see it" stance....

Feel kinda vindicated for allowing people to insist that as long as we don't have a verdict, nothing is set in stone yet, as long as I felt I was dealing with someone who simply as not convinced that "the outcome" was as clear cut yet.

"He is all but toast?".

Would love to look over Polish's keyboard tonight... an entire Clinic to serve very humble pie to ;D

Not quite as nice a feeling as when ACF was able to peacock about after Cadel bagged the TdF though. I love it when the folk who get pummelled hardest for their "idiotic" views get their 15 minutes back with interest.

I more or less said the same thing over in the clinic....
  • ReplyReply
  • "Whoever still can't put one and one together about what happened in cycling is beyond my help."
    Jan Ullrich

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 23:56 »
    USADA have however released a statement saying they are continuing the fight.

if they had nothing, they would say nothing.

The ball has just been passed from one to the other. Far from over, even if it is getting very boring :D
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 820
    « Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 00:05 »
    Well, if an unfriendly fed with its extra power and toys can't piece a convincing case together, or doesn't want to, I am not too optimistic that the people with toothpicks to threaten with, will be delivering the goods.

Wouldn't ot be something if Contador will get serious time for zeropointzeropointzero early next week.

You know, I will be glad when that 90s generation has been washed out of our hair (George, please go), as it has been the period with some distance that has left the most rotten taste in my mouth.

I find cycling these these more watchable again, to be honest. 

EDIT; ah, USADA, I misread
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 00:07 by Francois the Postman »

Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #33 on: February 04, 2012, 01:15 »
    As you all know, you never saw me in this topic over there. I very occasionally read a bit, shook my head at what was going on, and sort of came to the conclusion that 99% of posters seemed to expect something substantial, if not devastating, in the way of charges against LA to ensue from what the Feds have been doing for ages. No?

I don't want to get deeply involved and I won't be arguing with anyone, but I'm curious: wtf happened? I thought his guilt was beyond doubt?
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 51
    « Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 01:19 »
    Well, if an unfriendly fed with its extra power and toys can't piece a convincing case together, or doesn't want to, I am not too optimistic that the people with toothpicks to threaten with, will be delivering the goods.

Wouldn't ot be something if Contador will get serious time for zeropointzeropointzero early next week.

You know, I will be glad when that 90s generation has been washed out of our hair (George, please go), as it has been the period with some distance that has left the most rotten taste in my mouth.

I find cycling these these more watchable again, to be honest. 

EDIT; ah, USADA, I misread

...I was going to post something about the sounds of heads exploding in a certain thread in a certain forum far far away, but that is a really childish way of responding to this ( though it does have a certain silly charm ... but I digress...)...

...that wonderful metaphor of washing this out of our hair, may in the final analysis, be the best way to look at this...we've lived thru it...it ended up stinking to high heaven...lets tackle the future guided by the lessons learned...and with clean hair...errr...attitudes...

...and yes, cycling will be much more watchable with this cloud dispelled...

Cheers

blutto 
  • ReplyReply

• Thoughtforfood

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 7
    « Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 01:20 »
    It's over.  Time to move on.  I don't see a reason to spend another moment of my life caring about what happened or will happen to Mr. Armstrong.

He won.  sh*t happens.
  • ReplyReply
  • "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." ~ Thoreau

Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 01:40 »
    It's over.  Time to move on.  I don't see a reason to spend another moment of my life caring about what happened or will happen to Mr. Armstrong.

He won.  sh*t happens.

Come on, you must have some ideas? wtf happened? He can't have bought off the Feds, surely?
  • ReplyReply

• MacRoadie

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 02:24 »
    Come on, you must have some ideas? wtf happened? He can't have bought off the Feds, surely?

Give it a rest. He said he's done talking about it. We all came over here to get away from that circus. If you're that desperate to prognosticate, go back over there.

This place will go to crap if it just becomes an extension of what CN has become.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:26 by MacRoadie »

blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 51
    « Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 02:28 »
    Give it a rest. He said he's done talking about it. We all came over here to get away from that circus. If you're that desperate to prognosticate, go back over there.

This place will go to crap if it just becomes an extension of what CN has become.

...absolutely bang on !!!!

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• Thoughtforfood

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 7
    « Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 02:31 »

Perfect timing for the move actually.

Great post.

• ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 02:37 »
    yeah it is good timing.
    dim threw us a lifeline.. :D

the thread over there is self-imploding.  There is real life over here.

It's like watching the planet Krypton exploding....
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:38 by mewmewmew13 »

Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 02:41 »
    Why does this topic exist then? I was not 'baiting' TFF, I addressed him because I know he's been into this subject heavily for a long time and therefore knows a lot more than I do.

There is a supreme irony in accusing me of all people of dragging this discussion out. ;D All I was hoping for was some kind of brief summary from one of you 'informed' ones as I have no interest in wading through all the pages over there. I'll just wait for a newspaper or other source.

May as well close this topic then since no one wants to talk about it.
  • ReplyReply

• MacRoadie

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #42 on: February 04, 2012, 02:45 »
    Why does this topic exist then? I was not 'baiting' TFF, I addressed him because I know he's been into this subject heavily for a long time and therefore knows a lot more than I do.

There is a supreme irony in accusing me of all people of dragging this discussion out. ;D All I was hoping for was some kind of brief summary from one of you 'informed' ones as I have no interest in wading through all the pages over there. I'll just wait for a newspaper or other source.

May as well close this topic then since no one wants to talk about it.

No, you "addressed him" after he very clearly and specifically stated:

That serves no purpose whatsoever.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:47 by MacRoadie »

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 02:51 »

He won.  sh*t happens.

Disappointing for the message it sends but yeah, now it is over feels like the time to move on and forget about Armstrong and US Postal. Hope he at least has the dignity to not crow about his 'victory'
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 03:03 »
    No, you "addressed him" after he very clearly and specifically stated:

That serves no purpose whatsoever.

Whatever dude, lighten up. If you all came here to get away from "that circus", why does this topic exist? Why are you responding? I explained why I asked the question here; because I am not now, nor ever have been, in any way involved in "that circus" over there, nor do I want to be.

I have no axe to grind, I did not attack anyone, so I really have to question the motives behind all these protestations here from people who appear to all have been participants in "that circus". It would not matter one iota to me if this topic did not exist here.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 04:24 »
    I'm cool with this, as long as Bertie walks, not fair if he gets sanctioned after this :(
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 04:47 »
    in all honesty, i think a lot of us would prefer to see him fade back dow to being "who?" in the general public if the other option right now was guilty in the fed case but his name is everywhere ruining real cycling.

my fav might actually be nothing for 10 years till he is nolonger remembered by the average guy and THEN  out of nowhere concrete proof ruins his legacy...

just a thought but either way i will do other things with my time.
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Training Wheels

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 06:32 »
    In the words of Billy Bragg...

"over here, over there, it's the same everywhere..."

:)
  • ReplyReply
  • Never Stop Exploring!

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3504
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 08:16 »
    in all honesty, i think a lot of us would prefer to see him fade back dow to being "who?" in the general public if the other option right now was guilty in the fed case but his name is everywhere ruining real cycling.

my fav might actually be nothing for 10 years till he is nolonger remembered by the average guy and THEN  out of nowhere concrete proof ruins his legacy...

just a thought but either way i will do other things with my time.

totally agree

I think the damage to cycling if the grand jury testimony was released would be irreparable.   

Think about what George Hincappie, Tyler Hamilton, Levi Leipheimer, Floyd Landis, Frankie Andreu and much more  might have to say .... :(
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10824
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 08:32 »
    As you all know, you never saw me in this topic over there. I very occasionally read a bit, shook my head at what was going on, and sort of came to the conclusion that 99% of posters seemed to expect something substantial, if not devastating, in the way of charges against LA to ensue from what the Feds have been doing for ages. No?

I don't want to get deeply involved and I won't be arguing with anyone, but I'm curious: wtf happened? I thought his guilt was beyond doubt?

Here my take fwiw

It wasn't a doping investagation but an investigation into nonpayed tax, supply and disribution of doping products.

So thats why USADA will keep going.

What this means imo is that the money paper trail did not lead to LA or they could not get enough evidence to makle it stick in court or there is no paper trail.

During the investiagation they may have discovered doping evidence not important to the  feds - this would have passed on to USADA.

So GH,TH,FL telling a grand jury about doping would not have helped the feds but may help USADA, what would have helped was knowledge of money which they would have no idea about only LA and JB.

That is why USADA coming out with their statement may mean this thing is not over.

So George TH,
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 11:48 »
    Bad day for the sport.

This was a golden opportunity to cleanse the sport as much as possible, take down those in the UCI, get rid of doping DSs, Doctors Ferarri and Fuentes.

But now that there is no way this is gonna happen. All those tied to Armstrong who were powerful in the sport are still there, Bruyneel, Ferarri and McQuaid.

The pharmaceutical flood gates are going to open.

Again a bad day for the sport when someone who was the most doped, corrupt and a bully in the modern sport walks away with no sanctions.

• ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 12:04 »
    I'm not bothered particularly,  Lance has to live with himself and thats enough for me anyway.

He's yesterdays man.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 12:12 »
    Bad day for the sport.

This was a golden opportunity to cleanse the sport as much as possible, take down those in the UCI, get rid of doping DSs, Doctors Ferarri and Fuentes.

But now that there is no way this is gonna happen. All those tied to Armstrong who were powerful in the sport are still there, Bruyneel, Ferarri and McQuaid.

The pharmaceutical flood gates are going to open.

Again a bad day for the sport when someone who was the most doped, corrupt and a bully in the modern sport walks away with no sanctions.

maybe maybe not

it depends on the Doping evidence collected and given to USADA and if anything comes of that.

• ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15 »
    While the USADA might finally piece it all together, from doping, ferarri, bribing UCI, meeting head of Lusanne Lab etc it is the USAC that implements the findings and Armstrong along with Weisel own that.  >:(

Andy Schleck to ride like 1999 at this years TdF.  >:(
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 12:22 »
    Agreed but USADA has made it public they are looking and in this day and age very hard to sweep it under the carpet

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-welcomes-end-of-federal-investigation

One of the most damning pieces of testimony to enter the public domain was provided by Tyler Hamilton, who offered detailed descriptions of doping practices on the US Postal team in a “60 Minutes” interview in May.

His lawyer Chris Manderson explained that while the federal probe has come to an end, the sporting case against Armstrong and US Postal remains open.

"The fact that doping occurred is a separate issue from whether a federal crime occurred,” Manderson told ESPN. “If (federal authorities) made a decision not to prosecute, that doesn't mean that somebody didn't cheat in a bicycle race.''
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 13:02 »
    Bruyneel: A good friend of mine told me this last week and it's so true: "Wisdom consist in knowing what to overlook."
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 13:12 »
    Bruyneel: A good friend of mine told me this last week and it's so true: "Wisdom consist in knowing what to overlook."

shane stokes response

SSbike Shane Stokes cycling
    that's his latest Twitter message - strange thing to tweet when there's questions if justice has been served
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 16:04 »
    It's like watching the planet Krypton exploding....

Beautiful analogy! ;D And I completely agree with that sentiment.

For me though it also feels a bit like the banks. A lot of people felt reassured by the cast-iron guarantee of "too big to fail". Later it became obvious that their taxes underwrote the cast-iron guarantee. It just leaves you jaded.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 16:05 by L'arriviste »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 16:58 »
    Here my take fwiw

Thanks for that summary, jsg. Exactly the sort of thing I was after. Now I'm done here. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #59 on: February 04, 2012, 21:01 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-wants-to-put-armstrong-investigation-behind-it
    "We won't comment on USADA and what they might do. We don't want to keep looking behind us, there's nothing there, and the investigation proved that."

Move along ,nothing to see here, move along now.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.