• Damiano Machiavelli

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 18
    Re: The official Lance Armstrong thread
    « Reply #91 on: February 07, 2012, 22:17 »
    I think that fridays news caused four kinds of reaction
    1) Yeah, Lance is innocent, told you so haters
    2) Christ, I dont beleive it, well thats the end of that then
    3) Im not saying too much because this is far from the end of things.
    4) Above, but im going to let all the lance fans get all excited and then watch them crash

The majority of people I talk to fit in the option 3 or option 4

I think 3 and 4 may be too much to hope for.  Without a criminal case, other options for justice became much more expensive.  If the USADA gets the information it wants, it will still face a decision about whether to spend one to two million dollars to go after Armstrong.  It is not a well funded agency.  FLandis' quit tam lawyers will be looking at a much more difficult struggle.

I expect that in the coming weeks some of the newspapers that covered the story and developed sources will print an insiders account of what went on.

You left out type 1A, which are people like fatandfast, Polish, and others.  They admit that Armstrong doped but are delighted that he got away with it.  It's like watching skinheads on Stormfront celebrate Bernie Madoff for ripping off the Jews.  At least with type 1s you can tell yourself that those people are too stupid to figure out that Armstrong was a doper.  The type 1As revel in the fact that he cheated and won't be held to account.  I find that type just disgusting.

The seond type I find despicable are people like J. Vaughters, who know the truth, could do something about it, but instead sat by and watched those like the Andreus get sh!t on, all the while wrapping themselves in the cape of an anti-doping crusader.  Armstrong is allowed to continue to lie about everything because people like Vaughters have protected him.  And that goes to Phil Ligget and his kind as well.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 22:19 by Damiano Machiavelli »
    Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the Earth quakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake. Yeah.  Jack just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Gimmie your best shot, pal, I can take it."

bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    « Reply #92 on: February 07, 2012, 23:15 »
    Can someone post the tweets from RR referred to above?  I don't follow RR's twitter because I think that a communication method where everything is reduced to sentence length, leaving the readers to pick through the meaning like a palmist reading the lines on a hand, is basically stupid.
    @TheRaceRadio Race Radio
    I hope you have enjoyed the last few days of fun, but it is NOT over. In fact is is about to hit the fan. hummm, Wire Fraud?
    6 Feb via web

@TheRaceRadio Race Radio
    youtu.be/L1qcae9rdZc It is soooo not over
    6 Feb via web

TheRaceRadio Race Radio
    cyclingnews.com/news/concerns-… Fraud, witness tampering, mail fraud, and drug distribution
    8 hours ago

TheRaceRadio Race Radio
    ‘no weaknesses in the case’ ...."The evidence against those involved was absolutely overwhelming"
    8 hours ago

TheRaceRadio Race Radio
    npr.org/2012/02/07/146… "Prosecutors were about to indict" "Questions linger"
    7 hours ago

TheRaceRadio Race Radio
    Federal Statue 6E......
    6 hours ago

here is a few
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #93 on: February 08, 2012, 00:03 »
    Don't be disingenuous.  You were a true believer before you took your long vacation from CN. 

Not at all - I refer you to post #2 of this topic. I was, I learned, I have seen the error of my previous ways, and I have held my hands up to that fact.
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10735
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #94 on: February 08, 2012, 11:13 »
    This thing is not over

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203315804577209511653273618.html

The U.S. attorney who closed a nearly two-year investigation into the racing team of seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong rejected a recommendation from his assistants that he pursue criminal charges in the case.

A spokesman for the office said U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte Jr. made the decision not to pursue a prosecution after reviewing the evidence and consulting with his top lieutenants.
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #96 on: February 08, 2012, 11:52 »

Now this is not the end.
    It is not even the beginning of the end.
    but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #97 on: February 08, 2012, 11:55 »
    Like a rolling stone will be much awesome than ever :D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:55 by zam »

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #98 on: February 08, 2012, 21:57 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-wants-to-put-armstrong-investigation-behind-it
    Move along ,nothing to see here, move along now.

The UCI's spokesperson refused to comment on USADA's next possible move.

"We won't comment on USADA and what they might do. We don't want to keep looking behind us, there's nothing there, and the investigation proved that."

Sorry this is a bit late but I find this statement particularly damning.  For the UCI to state that the closing of an investigation, where the use of PEDs is such a small aspect, proves something with regards to doping indicates either a massive degree of naivity or simply acts to reinforces the suspicions of complicity.

An independent and honourable governing body would have stated something along the lines of... "we hope the decision to close the investigation is indicative of an absence of doping but support the efforts of the USADA to investigate and hope their conclusions can settle the matter one way or the other"
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #99 on: February 08, 2012, 22:18 »
    Sorry this is a bit late but I find this statement particularly damning.  For the UCI to state that the closing of an investigation, where the use of PEDs is such a small aspect, proves something with regards to doping indicates either a massive degree of naivity or simply acts to reinforces the suspicions of complicity.

An independent and honourable governing body would have stated something along the lines of... "we hope the decision to close the investigation is indicative of an absence of doping but support the efforts of the USADA to investigate and hope their conclusions can settle the matter one way or the other"

UCI are complicit completely. They accepted money from Armstrong for an alleged blood testing machine  ;) Who knows what else they accepted, what else they turned a blind eye too.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #100 on: February 10, 2012, 11:16 »
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    « Reply #101 on: February 10, 2012, 11:30 »

If WADA or USADA find out that he doped, then they could re-open the case of criminal fraud because he doped. Right? But if that guy said "it's just not done" to re-open the case then he won't get convicted of criminal fraud. Right?
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #102 on: February 10, 2012, 11:47 »
    Does anyone have a link to a concise overview of Livestrong as a tool for making money for Armstrong?
    Would be good if it also details the spending (or lack there of) on cancer awareness.
    Cheers in advance.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #103 on: February 10, 2012, 11:54 »
    Does anyone have a link to a concise overview of Livestrong as a tool for making money for Armstrong?
    Would be good if it also details the spending (or lack there of) on cancer awareness.
    Cheers in advance.

This may help

Outside magazine article - it not about the lab rats

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/lance-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html?page=all

Alot of the fuel for the plane is just internet crap, but there is a link - Livestrong don´t fight cancer they hep people who have it.

So Lance saying he fights cancer is just bullsh*t - but LiveStrong has probably helped alot of Folks in the states and else where 
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:55 by just some guy »

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #104 on: February 10, 2012, 12:24 »
    This may help

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/lance-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html?page=all

Alot of the fuel for the plane is just internet crap, but there is a link - Livestrong don´t fight cancer they hep people who have it.

So Lance saying he fights cancer is just bullsh*t - but LiveStrong has probably helped alot of Folks in the states and else where

Perfect thanks.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #105 on: February 10, 2012, 13:06 »
    This may help

To date they have helped just over 200 people, which is not a lot if you consider he started his cancer 'crusade' back early 2000s (2 or 3).

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #106 on: February 10, 2012, 13:19 »
    To date they have helped just over 200 people, which is not a lot if you consider he started his cancer 'crusade' back early 2000s (2 or 3).

Not really going to argue but 200 maybe the offical number no idea but there would be many more with the story and the like. Even just reading the website.

But I do believe a huge amount of money has been donated and not used for what people thought it was going to be used for ie fight cancer
  • ReplyReply

• thirteen

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #107 on: February 10, 2012, 14:03 »
    quite a dull article, but thought i'd post this link:http://www.latimes.com/la-sp-sn-lance-armstrong-test-20120209,0,1820064.post so maybe a few people here can make the poll reflect reality a bit more  ::)
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #108 on: February 10, 2012, 17:29 »
    quite a dull article, but thought i'd post this link:http://www.latimes.com/la-sp-sn-lance-armstrong-test-20120209,0,1820064.post so maybe a few people here can make the poll reflect reality a bit more  ::)

added a bit more reality to it  ::)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #111 on: February 11, 2012, 23:05 »
    Did anyone catch CNN's pathetic apologists perspective on this fiasco?
    Jeffrey Toobin gives us his "expert" legal insight.
    http://outfront.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/03/toobin-on-end-of-armstrong-doping-investigation-this-guy-is-cleared-its-done-its-over/

CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin said the decision–which comes after years of rumors, reports and ongoing investigations–means "this guy is cleared. It's done. It's over."
    Really? He is "cleared." I understand that the Feds dropped the case, but I must've missed the part where they cleared or exonerated him. They simply stopped the process before it could run its full course. But this is the typical media response. "Oh, yes, now this proves that Armstrong did nothing wrong, blah, blah, blah." Of course there's that tiny little matter of Travis Tygart vowing to "leave no stone unturned" in pursuing doping charges against Armstrong. But hey, he only represents the ANTI-doping agency. So there's probably nothing to that. Carry on National News legal expert.

Nice job, CNN. Nothing like commenting on something you know nothing about and haven't followed with any degree of expertise whatsoever. Not that it would be first for that fine organization.  ::)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #113 on: February 13, 2012, 00:32 »
    interesting one. Lance finishes 2nd so they dope test from fourth down.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/anden_sport/article1707550.ece

via @cyclingfansanon on twitter
  • ReplyReply

• doolols

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 33
    « Reply #114 on: February 13, 2012, 01:12 »
    That's a funny coincidence.

There's an interesting piece of the history of Ironman / triathlon / World Triathlon Corporation: http://endurancesportsflorida.com/2012/02/09/the-inevitable-ironmanlance-armstrong-marriage/

It's not something I've had much interest in before, but now, all of a sudden, it's come into focus for me   ::)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #115 on: February 13, 2012, 19:52 »
    There's an interesting piece of the history of Ironman / triathlon / World Triathlon Corporation: http://endurancesportsflorida.com/2012/02/09/the-inevitable-ironmanlance-armstrong-marriage/
    Wait, did I miss some details in that article? The title, The Inevitable Ironman/Lance Armstrong Marriage, implies a business partnership, but the only specific mentioned is:
    It was during his marathon training that talk of a WTC/Livestrong partnership began.
    So what it the "partnership" exactly?

And the tangled web slowly reveals itself:
    Providence Equity Partners moved WTC from Tarpon Springs to Tampa and in May hired new CEO Andrew Messick, who during a four-year stint as president of AEG Sports oversaw the Amgen Tour of California.
    Gee, you think anyone will be invested in protecting the image of Lance and, simultaneously, the WTC?

It never seems to end. :(

As Race Radio has pointed out: It's the triathlete's turn. He's their problem now.
  • ReplyReply

• doolols

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 33
    « Reply #116 on: February 13, 2012, 23:08 »
    So what it the "partnership" exactly?

It's quite difficult to fathom. As far as I can tell, Ironman - WTC (the institution) is making a number of places at their events available for followers of the LA - places which would normally cost in the hundreds of dollars (I did read it recently, but can't remember right now). I presume Yellow Banders will pay for their entries, and WTC will give that money to Live$trong. Something like that. I presume this is where the $1m comes from.

The CEO of WTC used to be CEO of AEG Sports, who ran, amongst other things, the Amgen Tour of California. Who are Amgen?

In the 1980s Amgen was the first to isolate the gene for erythropoietin, the hormone that controls red blood cell production, which led to the production of recombinant human erythropoietin — developed to treat anemia in cancer patients but also abused in endurance sports such as cycling. Amgen has used the California stage race to launch an anti-doping educational campaign, targeted at riders and fans, as well as the opportunity to launch its Breakaway From Cancer initiative, aimed to increase awareness of resources available to cancer patients.

Wheels within wheels.

Edit: forgot to include the link for that quote:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/05/news/amgen-tour-director-leaving-aeg-sports-for-world-triathlon-corporation_176715
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 23:21 by doolols »

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #117 on: February 14, 2012, 00:04 »
    Betsy Speaks
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/02/news/opinion-betsys-word-on-lance_206336

“Like Yasser Arafat, Lance yet again dodged another bullet,” she said. “It’s disheartening that all of us who were compelled by law to tell the truth and risked so much in doing so weren’t vindicated in a court of law.”
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #118 on: February 14, 2012, 03:21 »
    DamN I sure hope this keeps rolling until the truth comes out for Betsy's sake!
    Lance's appetite for controlling things knows no boundaries.

I wish he would just retire once and for all...and go away. What the heck happened to the 'being a good father' and homebody blah blah blah...
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #119 on: February 14, 2012, 19:27 »
    Betsy Speaks
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/02/news/opinion-betsys-word-on-lance_206336
    And once again, Anthony Tan proves that he has no business being in the business of investigative journalism. I mean seriously, his writing and lack of accuracy would get him lambasted on any forum. But this who Velonews puts their faith in?  :-\

She claimed there were no leaks from the Los Angeles grand jury proceedings initiated by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) lead investigator, Jeff Novitzky. I dispute this, since I have seen and read testimony from a number of those who were subpoenaed or deposed.
    Is that so? That would be a first then, to the best of my knowledge. WTF is he talking about? "Seen and read" Grand Jury testimony? Please then, do tell! This is totally unfounded. Of course he provides nothing to back up such claims either. This is what makes my head explode the most.

This is also what infuriated me when the Landis debacle was unfolding. It wasn't a matter of trusting Floyd, it was that most of the "reporting" going on was so far from reality, so misinformed, so off the mark, that almost any discussion was clouded with misinformation. Fortunately Betsy calls Tan out on his wrongful assumptions and presumptions. Interestingly, he doesn't even try to defend his own position. This was another gem:

You met the lead FDA investigator, Jeff Novitzky. What were your impressions of the man, and what did he tell you about the veracity and amount of evidence he had gathered over the past 20 months, remembering that in order to convict, he had to prove fraud (and not that Lance or anyone on the team simply doped)?
    That's what I would expect from a 14-year-old. FFS. Clueless.

Betsy to the rescue again.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.