collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10587
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3791
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
Re: Fancy Bear hack on WADA and the TUE debate
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2016, 11:21 »
Big Tam :win
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

hiero

• National Champion
    • Liked: 614
    « Reply #92 on: September 24, 2016, 12:24 »
    . . . And they add a couple of uncomfortable pics of a swollen-faced Canc.

. . .

I recalled last night that this was the sort of treatment that Vaughters famously declined. I wouldn't know dosages off the top of my head (re Canc TUEs), although I could research and find them. But, they seem to me to be the sort of treatment level that most any regular joe wouldn't think twice about doing.  Assuming they were accustomed to Western medicine, and not living somewhere where the annual average income is $6.

Arguing against myself, I suppose, but more like just kinda thinking about the issue - I do know that even the light levels of steriod applied as an antihistamine do confer some advantage competitively for a week or so. Not huge, but certainly a marginal gain.

Now, can you imagine a rider at the pro level going out and finding a wasp and intentionally getting stung so that you could go to the ER and get a shot? I don't think I ever knew anybody that warped in the amateur ranks I rode in.

(Added a few minutes later)
    Just browsed that Dumoulin tweet thread - looks like some very good arguments that Wiggins use of TUEs was abuse, rather than on the up-and-up. I notice all the clips and quotes from Hamilton and Rasmussen - but those guys WERE REALLY abusing the system, and not just the occasional exception. I don't put a lot of faith in them drawing parallels to what goes on today - at least - not those two.

Anyway, I'm going to sit back and see how this all winds itself out. 
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:40 by hiero »
    Ubi est ignis

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1494
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #93 on: September 24, 2016, 14:19 »
    https://twitter.com/Spitinthesoup/status/779598760016023552

Obviously Dumoulin is deeply suspicious about tall time trialists being able to compete in the big mountains of a GT, with the smaller climbers, without resorting to the dodgy stuff. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #94 on: September 24, 2016, 16:56 »
    Don't know what the interview says, but just got a link to this in my email. Thot I would share if you have not seen it.
    https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/778502790020681728

I've got to hit the road, won't be back till next week. Can't listen myself ATM.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1269
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #95 on: September 24, 2016, 20:09 »
    Wiggins has some questions to answer no doubt. I agree with Dumoulin.

I have to draw the line on listening to Ross Tucker though, he's a moron.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #97 on: September 25, 2016, 06:57 »
    Obviously Dumoulin is deeply suspicious about tall time trialists being able to compete in the big mountains of a GT, with the smaller climbers, without resorting to the dodgy stuff. :D

yes and the ait is all a Russian smoke screen defense of Sky  ;)

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

al_pacino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 86
    « Reply #99 on: September 25, 2016, 12:01 »
    Wow Wiggo admits to using for doping purpose

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2016/09/25/sir-bradleywigginss-tue-use-stinks-says-rival-as-briton-tells-an/

Not quite how it came across in the interview. There were a few times when he looked a tad shifty(understatement) but he was saying more the injections were getting him back to 100% from "illness" rather than going beyond that.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #100 on: September 25, 2016, 12:25 »
    Not quite how it came across in the interview. There were a few times when he looked a tad shifty(understatement) but he was saying more the injections were getting him back to 100% from "illness" rather than going beyond that.

sure but he also said in his book he wasn´t sick only once or twice

• ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 331
    « Reply #101 on: September 25, 2016, 14:51 »
    Chicken's statement over on CN (which for some reason I can't cut from the text and paste here) is mind boggling.

I mean, if he can lose a couple of kilos from taking triamcinolone, imagine the impact it's having on a "normal weight rider" like Wiggins ...??!!!   :o :o

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-tue-under-scrutiny-before-sunday-morning-interview/
  • ReplyReply

• Bronstein

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 31
    « Reply #102 on: September 25, 2016, 14:58 »

:S

What has any of that got to do with TUEs?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #104 on: September 25, 2016, 18:39 »
    :S

What has any of that got to do with TUEs?

I'll give you a clue. It was a joke. Nothing more.
    Feel free to ignore it as others have.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #105 on: September 26, 2016, 03:03 »
    BTW: if we are going to quote Vaughters, I suggest that every reader of this thread go read JV's tweets on this topic.
    https://twitter.com/Vaughters

Quite frankly, IMO, he comes off almost pro-Wiggo on this. And JV unquestionably has expertise.
  • ReplyReply

• Bronstein

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 31
    « Reply #106 on: September 26, 2016, 03:53 »
    I'll give you a clue. It was a joke. Nothing more.
    Feel free to ignore it as others have.

More like a thinly veiled potshot at Dumoulin for having the nerve to call out Wiggins. Just a tad hypocritical given that you think Wiggins is clean.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #107 on: September 26, 2016, 07:56 »
    More like a thinly veiled potshot at Dumoulin for having the nerve to call out Wiggins. Just a tad hypocritical given that you think Wiggins is clean.

The trouble with folks who think they know all the answers, is that sometimes they are wrong.
    Anyhow, I'll leave it there and allow you to have the last word, since this is not contributing to the thread.

Apologies to anybody else who didn't appreciate the joke.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8854
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #108 on: September 26, 2016, 09:38 »
    this doesn't really fit here, as it's more about Kimmage's personal relationship and opinion on David Walsh's work in the matter Team Sky in general, and not about the TUE issue in particular - but still an interesting read...

https://www.balls.ie/cycling/paul-kimmage-and-david-walsh/347242

some part that is about Wiggins though...

"History is written by the winners. So if you turn back the clock to Bradley Wiggins' Tour de France win, which is essentially what this story is about, it's Bradley Wiggins winning that tour and getting that TUE, at a time when he was in superb form. [...]

So you've got the chief sports writer of the Sunday Times, you've got Bradley Wiggins - the first Briton in history to win the race - and the chief sports writer of the Sunday Times is not on the race.

My belief is that there were legitimate questions that needed to be asked of Bradley Wiggins after that race, the same questions that David had asked of Lance Armstrong and everybody else. There was a difference. Lance Armstrong was American. We had both suffered at the paper as a result of trying to expose Lance Armstrong at the paper, and at that time, in July 2012, Lance Armstrong was still a hero, he had not been brought down."
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 293
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #110 on: September 26, 2016, 10:34 »
    Well, it had better be good. He's had long enough to write it...
  • ReplyReply

• vayerism

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 71
    « Reply #111 on: September 26, 2016, 12:59 »
    It's over for Sky, they have further leaks hanging over their heads, if they move today and try to diminish it. and then more files are released which show further use of corto before key races. They are FUBARED, they have no moves left. They can't go after Wiggins, because he can end them, and they can't just let it go

In short

Fancy bears win.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #114 on: September 26, 2016, 17:33 »
    Wiggins has some questions to answer no doubt. I agree with Dumoulin.

I have to draw the line on listening to Ross Tucker though, he's a moron.

There are moments when you can be a funny man!   :lol

https://www.twitter.com/Velorooms/status/780442649002184704?p=v
    Yeup. Now we've heard the reasoning, but it sounds so much like the mental justification that we've heard from the worst of the offenders - "just wanted a level playing field". Right. I am sure they believe this to be true in this case. I think it is an unfortunate public stumble, and not entirely above disparagement for ethics.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #115 on: September 26, 2016, 17:48 »

If you want my opinion on the matter, you are making a tempest in a teapot. I happen to be a Dumoulin fan, and I think calling Dumoulin out is still validated in this case. I could understand an objection, should MV have gone on about the topic, but as MV's post was rather understated to begin with, it seems to me your objections appear more defensive and less justified. He got in one, you got in one, good time to drop it.

It's over for Sky, they have further leaks hanging over their heads, if they move today and try to diminish it. and then more files are released which show further use of corto before key races. They are FUBARED, they have no moves left. They can't go after Wiggins, because he can end them, and they can't just let it go

In short

Fancy bears win.

Are you serious? Hardly. It seems to me that Fancy Bears, (Apt29B, wasn't it?) have quite lost. At least insofar as their objectives. I will say they HAVE accomplished something that, in retrospect, is an excellent blow in favor of the anti-doping battle: transparency. The UCI or WADA should learn a lessan, and make the TUEs so open ALL the time. It certainly leaves a lot less room for doubt to grow.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #116 on: September 26, 2016, 17:49 »

http://news.sky.com/story/team-sky-100-clean-amid-wiggins-controversy-10594490

Team Sky will in future reveal all cases where its riders have been given permission to use banned substances for medical purposes.

Team principal Sir Dave Brailsford revealed the change of policy as he offered a robust defence of the decision to seek three Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUEs) for Sir Bradley to be injected with the corticosteroid triamcinolone in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

The TUE records were revealed in a leak of hacked data obtained from a World Anti-Doping Agency database by a Russian hacking organisation calling itself Fancy Bears.

Sir Dave revealed that Team Sky has received 13 TUEs since its foundation in 2010, but in future they will make any future applications public with the consent of the rider.

He also suggested they might consider withdrawing any rider who was not willing to allow their medical details to be released in order to restore confidence in the system.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8854
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #118 on: September 26, 2016, 21:33 »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BK1PKpKgHGL/?taken-by=olegtinkov&hl=en

I don't understand why people are so negative and jealous, in general? I don't believe team #Sky could ever had any organized doling program. It is impossible in the modern cycling.Period. I have been a principal of the cycling teams for over 6 seasons and never ever my rider was involve with doping❗️ These days are over. @lancearmstrong and some #Astana riders probably were the last who cheat systematically and organized. Some even paid to Kolobnev and perhaps to Uran to win the races 🙉. Cycling is better than you think, sure there are some cavity like I just said, but I trust #brailsford #Wiggins and #Froome and I don't have to, since I probably even will never met them again. 🚴🏽🚴🏽🚴🏽

does he seriously claim Tinkoff Credit Systems was not a doping team there?! :lol
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5725
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #119 on: September 26, 2016, 22:04 »
    does he seriously claim Tinkoff Credit Systems was not a doping team there?! :lol
    Eh, Oleg is Oleg. He can claim anything he wants.

Besides, TCS wasn't a doping team - it were the individual riders who did the doping. :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.