collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6166
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Project Hushovd didn't come about for 2017, and I'm skeptical that it ever will.

But there are strong rumours about a *no ProConti team starting up in 2018 ... so I decided to start a thread for a team that would undoubtedly become a strong part of the pro peloton.
You can never be too early with these things, right? ;)

Let's have a look at which riders a team like this could sign (definite pro material in bold):
#cannondale Kristoffer Skjerping
#fdj Odd Christian Eiking
#fdj Daniel Hoelgaard
#iam Vegard Stake Laengen
#giant Sindre Skjøstad Lunke
#katusha Sven Erik Bystrøm
#katusha Alexander Kristoff
#sky Lars Petter Nordhaug
#delko Fredrik Strand Galta
#fortuneo Vegard Breen
#coop Haavard Jordbrekk Blikra
#coop Krister Hagen
#coop August Jensen
#coop Øivind Lukkedal
#fixit Aasmund Romstand Løvik
#joker Reidar Bohlin Borgersen
#joker Ole Forfang
#joker Tobias Svendsen Foss
#joker Kristoffer Halvorsen
#joker Markus Hoelgaard
#joker Bjørn Tore Hoem
#joker Amund Grøndahl Jansen
#joker Truls Engen Korsæth
#joker Anders Skaarseth
#joker Adrian Aas Stien
#ringeriks Jonas Abrahamsen
#ringeriks Audun Brekke Fløtten
#ringeriks Marius André Hafsås
#ringeriks Njål Eivind Kleiven
#ringeriks Max Emil Boholm Kørner
#ringeriks Torsten Træen
#ringeriks Syver Westgaard Wærsted
#sparsor Herman Dahl
#sparsor Carl Fredrik Hagen
#sparsor Fridtjof Røinås
#sparsor Petter Theodorsen
#sparsor Trond Håkon Trondsen
#sparsor Andreas Vangstad
#seg Henrik Evensen

Add to that a couple of Danes (#katusha Michael Mørkøv?) and Swedes, and you have a team. :cool

EDIT: As that last sentence implies, any Norwegian team would be likely to also include Danes and Swedes, and vice-versa. With that in mind, I've re-dedicated this thread to all talk of a Scandinavian pro team.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:03 by LukasCPH »
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1525
    I used to think this was a good idea, but now I am less sure about it. The Norwegian racing scene has excellent competition between far too many continental teams compared to our tiny population. I am afraid promoting one of them to pro conti will destroy that. It will be like putting a black hole in between all the stars that are shining here. A lot will fall into it, and it is quite uncertain if anything ever will come out of it.
    2 conti teams give more opportunities but at a lower level compared to 1 pro conti team. Pro conti' seem to be able to offer a good program for their a-squad, while the rest of the riders aren't offered much they couldn't get on a good conti team.

Right now I am thinking I'd rather see a bending of the rules to allow local more conti participation in higher ranked races. That may require intensification of antidoping at conti level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Right now I am thinking I'd rather see a bending of the rules to allow local more conti participation in higher ranked races. That may require intensification of antidoping at conti level.
    Not much bending of rules required. HC races can already invite Conti teams from their own country, plus 2 foreign Conti teams.

The problem is that few HC races do that, instead opting for ProConti teams. Which brings us back to square one ... :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5271
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    https://twitter.com/procyclingno/status/799982443969318912

Joker 2017 are the best Norwegian team ever according to Mads Kaggestad, even better than the 2007 version of Boasson Hagen, Kristoff, Rasch, Nordhaug and Wilmann.

Given the developments Joker has had over time, it becomes natural to believe that the team will not many years running one of the major Tours. As a prokontinentallag.

Aas Stien agree. He believes Joker Construction Market is ripe to step up a level and that Norway is ready for a prokontinentallag.

"One does really only a few new riders and a bus" says Trønder laconically

Some talk as well about an FDJ rider wanting to join "who had some tough years at WT level".
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Joker 2017 are the best Norwegian team ever according to Mads Kaggestad, even better than the 2007 version of Boasson Hagen, Kristoff, Rasch, Nordhaug and Wilmann.
    He does have a point.
    ProConti in 2018 has to be the logical next step.

Some talk as well about an FDJ rider wanting to join "who had some tough years at WT level".
    Now, who could that be ...? :s
    Eiking and Hoelgaard would be great riders to get (back) on board for a 2018 ProConti team.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Google translate does have it as years though, which would rule out the two ex-Jokers. However either of those two would make the most sense, as I can't see who else it could be otherwise.

If only there was somebody about who spoke Norwegian to clarify it for us ....  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    If only there was somebody about who spoke Norwegian to clarify it for us ....  ;)
    Speak Norwegian I can't - but I can read and understand it (almost) perfectly. :)

It does indeed speak of years at the WT level ... but since this rider would come (back) to #joker for 2018 at the earliest, Eiking or Hoelgaard would have had two years each by then.
    Of course, they could also refer to e.g. Konovalovas, but he doesn't quite fit the quote, having been a pro since 2008.

I believe we shouldn't put too much weight into the "years" - there are two Norwegians at FDJ, both of which used to ride for Joker. I'm pretty certain that Aas Stien is talking about one (or both) of them.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1477
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
     #joker Kristoffer Halvorsen (U23 RR World Champ) to train with Team Sky this December...

https://twitter.com/procyclingno/status/801355894722363393
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion

Sorry for not paying attention! Your friendly Norwegian to the rescue--
    If I was to read it literally, it is in past tense so they are referring to a rider that already had tough years in FDJ at WT level and quit. Not one of those presently there. Yoann Offredo would be a guess?

...but a word of caution, some of the Norwegian cyclists love giving bizarre interviews (especially Eiking) and it might just be a case of  the reporter not catching a joke here.

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    Time to get that *dk Grand Départ! :P

Nope. Time to get that  *dk  *fo  *se  *no  *fi  *ax *is  -based World Tour team!
    Sponsors should see opportunity knocking, quality riders in all roles available for next year.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Nope. Time to get that  *dk  *fo  *se  *no  *fi  *ax *is  -based World Tour team!
    Sponsors should see opportunity knocking, quality riders in all roles available for next year.
    I don't think *ax or *is would provide much quality to such a team. :P
    As for the rest, I definitely agree (and yes, that includes *fo Torkil Veyhe). It's sad that so much cycling sponsorship in Scandinavian countries seems to be focussed on one nation only.

That said, which companies do you imagine have Scandinavia-wide interests that would justify sponsoring such an all-Nordic team?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    I don't think *ax or *is would provide much quality to such a team. :P
    As for the rest, I definitely agree (and yes, that includes *fo Torkil Veyhe). It's sad that so much cycling sponsorship in Scandinavian countries seems to be focussed on one nation only.

That said, which companies do you imagine have Scandinavia-wide interests that would justify sponsoring such an all-Nordic team?

Not super serious analyses but there are a few who could

Volvo
    Vattenfall
    - these are already sponsoring cycling events

Nordea
    - it's pan-nordic and the name would fit the team's concept
    Nokian
    - they should make more bike tires - they're good on ice :)

Norwegian
    - ok, it's Norwegian but their growth markets are abroad now

Dæhlie:
    sportwear company that make decent cycling gear, all teams need one of those

Sweet or Kask: helmet makers
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10824
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Bianchi ;)

Yes the bike company is owned by a swedish group

and the team colour would be sorted 
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Bianchi ;)

Yes the bike company is owned by a swedish group

and the team colour would be sorted
    :cool
    Where's the drool smiley when you need it?
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 864

Speaking of  *fo
    https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/faroe-islands/
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    There aren't any rumours of Veloconcept going PCT? Saxo Bank not tempted to get back in bed with Riis?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    There aren't any rumours of Veloconcept going PCT? Saxo Bank not tempted to get back in bed with Riis?
    Riis wants WorldTour or bust. Or at least, that's what he always says.

Saxo Bank have rid themselves of Riis' buddy Lars Seier, or the other way around. In any case, he's not involved with the 'bank'[1] anymore.
    Saxo Bank will not get back together with Riis again, and Riis Seier Cycling (the company behind #veloconcept) wants to find other sponsors to foot the bill - in other words, Riis & Seier want to earn money on a cycling project now, not put their own money in it.[2]
     1. sorry, it just isn't a 'real' bank in my eyes
     2. Haha, as if that ever worked for anyone.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Speaking of  *fo
    https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/faroe-islands/
    Isn't it great that they did the research for a possible *fo ScandiGT Départ!? :D
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    Isn't it great that they did the research for a possible *fo ScandiGT Départ!? :D

Are you serious? OMFG. They'd have to import the hotels! Beautiful tho!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Are you serious? OMFG. They'd have to import the hotels! Beautiful tho!
    Dead-serious. Only need to find enough sponsors, then the ScandiGT through Denmark, Sweden, and Norway (with regular visits to other nearby countries) can go ahead. :-x
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    Dead-serious. Only need to find enough sponsors, then the ScandiGT through Denmark, Sweden, and Norway (with regular visits to other nearby countries) can go ahead. :-x

If it ever happens, I SURE hope they televise it. I would LOVE to watch a race through that scenery.

If they launch from the Faroes, they are going to have to lease some aircraft to transport everyone! I'd love to see that - photos of the tent city to house the cyclists, eh? Logistically, it would be heck. But for the beauty of the scenery - it would be nearly unmatchable.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    If they launch from the Faroes, they are going to have to lease some aircraft to transport everyone!
    They do that for foreign starts at the Giro, Tour, or Vuelta already. How else would you come from Denmark to Italy, or from the Netherlands to Spain?

I'd love to see that - photos of the tent city to house the cyclists, eh? Logistically, it would be heck. But for the beauty of the scenery - it would be nearly unmatchable.
    Nothing you can't solve by throwing money at it. If the Arctic Race (sure, smaller than a GT, but not a small race by any means) could stay in one hotel outside Honningsvåg, then a GT caravan can stay on the Faroe Islands - there won't be a single hotel room left in Tórshavn, but then that's kind of the point, isn't it? ;)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    If you would like to host a large group traveling around Scandinavia and the norse Atlantic islands, you would use the solution from the (discarded plan) for the Tromsø winter Olympics.
    Basically this country is called Norway and way is actually just that a way, or a road as we would say nowadays. The Nor is the narrow passage between the islands. So Norway means a narrow road through the islands. That is of course something you wouldn't travel by car, it is made for boats. A coastal express liner would be perfect almost anywhere in Norway except in the inland regions (the Tour-of-Norway-terrain) and it could even do the trip to the Atlantic islands in a couple of days.  Winner; the team that doesn't suffer from seasickness  :D
  • ReplyReply

•