collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10585
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Team Aqua Blue News
« on: October 03, 2016, 12:12 »
1st *ie pro-conti team is up and running, Bought some buses and such from IAM and today the 1st announcement of riders

https://twitter.com/AquaBlueSport/status/782897534532542464

pretty solid start
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: Team Aqua Blue News
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:33 »
    The Team Aqua Blue Sport riders will be supported by a top tier backroom team composed of team Director of Performance Operations, Leigh Bryan, Dr. Alan Farrell as Team Doctor, former Irish international cyclist Stephen Barrett as Director of Athletic Performance and Nicki Sørensen, formerly of Team Tinkoff-Saxo and Tim Barry as Sporting Directors. Stephen Moore will serve as General Manager.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1258
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 15:02 »
    Nicki Sørensen, formerly of Team Tinkoff-Saxo as Sporting Director.

Waits to see which  *dk Danish riders appear on the roster  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 824
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 20:11 »
    This is exciting!
  • ReplyReply

• al_pacino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 86
    « Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 20:33 »
    Very decent start. Nordhaug guarantees better results than most smaller start-ups have achiecved.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 135
    « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 20:58 »
    Very decent start. Nordhaug guarantees better results than most smaller start-ups have achiecved.

Yes. The announcements so far have been very encouraging. Their owner must have deeper pockets than I'd assumed, judging by the announcement that's he guaranteed funding for four years, the signing of Nordhaug, them buying IAM's bus and truck etc.

The three Irish rider's they've announced so far are exactly the sort of ones an Irish PCT team needs to sign if it is serious - there are very few Irish riders who are already at a pro level but who aren't prohibitively expensive for a new PCT outfit. After them, it will have to be young prospects and/or Conti riders looking to step up because that's all there is. I'd expect the other Irish signings to be low profile riders unless they've managed to sign Dunbar. I'd have assumed that Dunbar was beyond them, but the Nordhaug signing indicates that there is money and ambition there, so perhaps not.

It is interesting that Nordhaug was willing to sign. I am assuming that there will be a number of other non-Irish riders signed both because they will want a bit more experience of pro racing and because they won't find another twelve available Irish riders of the necessary level. Perhaps a Dane or two, given that Sorenson is DS, perhaps a Norwegian sidekick for Nordhaug, perhaps some French riders given that they will be based around Monaco.

The South of France base also makes me wonder to what extent they will be riding the French season. Everyone automatically assumes that an Anglophone PCT team will be focused on things like the ToB and Tour de Yorkshire, but non World Tour French races might well be what they are planning to mostly race.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5725
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 21:34 »
    Yes. The announcements so far have been very encouraging. Their owner must have deeper pockets than I'd assumed, judging by the announcement that's he guaranteed funding for four years, the signing of Nordhaug, them buying IAM's bus and truck etc.
    Rick Delaney lives in Monaco and runs a marketing firm that's based in Cyprus. I'm sure that money will not be an issue for this team. :shh

The South of France base also makes me wonder to what extent they will be riding the French season. Everyone automatically assumes that an Anglophone PCT team will be focused on things like the ToB and Tour de Yorkshire, but non World Tour French races might well be what they are planning to mostly race.
    Yes, I believe the French calendar will give them a nice base for the season. That can be bolstered by stage races like ToB, Yorkshire, California etc. Norway and/or Arctic Race as well with Nordhaug, and possibly Denmark with some *dk signings - should be a good program.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 22:52 »
    Rick Delaney lives in Monaco and runs a marketing firm that's based in Cyprus. I'm sure that money will not be an issue for this team. :shh

It seems so. I knew he was rich enough to be a tax exile in Monaco, but there's a lot of room between being rich and being rich enough to fund a pro bike team for four years just because you like bike racing.

As for calendar, if I recall the rules correctly an Irish registered PCT team would be allowed to enter .1 and .HC races in France. There are a lot of those races and I doubt if they'd have any difficulty getting invited. If they have a reasonably fast sprinter there'd be some cheap wins there too.

They would also technically be eligible to enter the Ras in Ireland - a PCT team entering would probably change the race considerable though.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4696
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 05:43 »
    I still am a bit sceptical to be honest, even with buses and four riders announced.  :P

The statement yesterday of "we're going to be riding MSR and AGR" and the subsequent change of wording got very small alarm bells ringing. Any news of bike suppliers yet? I read in a Sticky Bottle article that they've "set ourselves a deadline of the end of August .. to have an equipment partner".
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:21 »
    I still am a bit sceptical to be honest, even with buses and four riders announced.  :P

The statement yesterday of "we're going to be riding MSR and AGR" and the subsequent change of wording got very small alarm bells ringing. Any news of bike suppliers yet? I read in a Sticky Bottle article that they've "set ourselves a deadline of the end of August .. to have an equipment partner".

I am a bit in between I was reading the press stuff and thinking ok well that is ok sounding - a bit of a wonder if this will work etc

And then I though of the way Bahrain have gone about it and even if Bahrain have had some press issues their team is pretty amazing.

But then I thought about ONEpro and all their hype and how poor they have been and felt ok again about Aqua
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:47 »

The team will be around, and on a PCT level.
    How 'big' it will actually be, and whether they'll get MSR and AGR wildcards, is a different matter ... but Aqua Blue will be a PCT next year.

Post Merge: October 04, 2016, 08:50
    As for calendar, if I recall the rules correctly an Irish registered PCT team would be allowed to enter .1 and .HC races in France. There are a lot of those races and I doubt if they'd have any difficulty getting invited. If they have a reasonably fast sprinter there'd be some cheap wins there too.
    PCTs can enter any and all .1 and .HC races, no matter where they're registered.
    On top of that, they can enter .2 races in their home country (like you say, the Rás is an option). They can also apply to .2 races in other countries if they want to - there's a maximum of two foreign PCTs in a .2 race[1]. Outside of Europe, there are no restrictions: .HC, .1, .2 are all possible.
     1. this was added in 2016 and has been used by a couple of PCTs already
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 293
    « Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 09:40 »

But then I thought about ONEpro and all their hype and how poor they have been and felt ok again about Aqua

:cool

You are so right there, have to say have really enjoyed seeing Onepro's cloying hubris dissolving in a sea of also ran and could, might of, should of performances.  I hope AquaBlue (sounds like a toilet cleanser) learn from that, and looking at the personalities they have signed I hope that they fare well enough next year.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 19:33 »
    Were One Pro Cycling really all that bad this year?
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 19:36 »
    The team will be around, and on a PCT level.
    How 'big' it will actually be, and whether they'll get MSR and AGR wildcards, is a different matter ... but Aqua Blue will be a PCT next year.

At this point, I agree. Delaney would have to be a complete fool or an egomaniac to associate himself personally so much with the launch of a team, announce publicly that he's providing money for four years, sign up a bunch of riders and staff and then let the project collapse. That's not impossible but it doesn't strike me as likely.
  • ReplyReply

• mudplugger

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 18
    « Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 20:36 »

They signed virtually their whole team from the 3rd Div. A few riders had ridden at a higher level but dropped back down....there is usually a reason for that. In the circumstances it is no surprise that their stronger performances have come in fields which contained very few, if any, WT or leading PC teams. They do appear to have struggled (with the exception of Dion Smith) when the quality steps up. Perhaps the hype surrounding the team and suggestions they were looking to move rapidly to WT has set an unrealistic level of expectations for a new PC team..
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 20:51 »
    No, they weren't. They performed about as could be expected from a new PCT, with a couple of good results, including a great win at the Tro Bro Leon.
    But since they have (very) high ambitions, people will (consciously or subconsciously) measure them up against those.

I believe the team will progress nicely next year and step it up another notch.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 22:44 »
    Ok, that makes more sense. I wasn't really too aware of the hype, so I just saw them as a team stepping up to Pro Continental level with a team almost entirely composed of riders stepping up from Continental level. And with the main "names" being a well and truly faded Goss, Steele Van Hoff and Marcin Bialoblocki. So I wasn't expecting them to be cutting a swathe through .HC and WT races.

Given where they were coming from, 13 wins, 7 of them .1 or higher, isn't spectacular but it isn't bad either. And Smith and Opie in particular look to have made the transition to the pro ranks well. If they've been giving the impression in Britain that they were going to smash everyone and jump to the forefront of pro cycling, then I can see why people see winning stages of the Tour of Korea as less than meaningful though.

It does strike me looking at their team that they may have hired too many riders and they may have been better off keeping a few of those minimum wages to spend on a couple of more experienced pros.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 23:12 »
    Given where they were coming from, 13 wins, 7 of them .1 or higher, isn't spectacular but it isn't bad either.
    I'd say that 13 wins is pretty good, actually.

If you look at them as a first-year PCT, they've done well - it's only the 'new Team Sky', 'promotion to WorldTour is a goal for us', 'exciting team backed by famous cricketer' stuff that hyped them a bit much.
    But the setup is a good one, and they'll make their way.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 10:44 »
    In addition to that, he has bought the Tinkoff team bus plus several of its vehicles, giving him the infrastructure he needs to hit the ground running.
    Which bus is it, now - #tinkoff or #iam?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8853
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 10:47 »
    “Next Monday we will announce the next three or four riders. We have announced two WorldTour riders thus far, Lars Petter and Brammeier, and we will have, I think, another five. One of those is a marquee signing, a very good climber.

“We have also been speaking to some of the race organisers. Our ambition will be to get invites to the Amstel Gold, Milan San Remo, Tour of Britain, Tour of Yorkshire, the Eneco Tour next year. We won’t get any Grand Tours [three week races] in 2017, but obviously the following year we would like to get a Grand Tour start. After that we’ll look to the Tour de France and the WorldTour.”

will be interesting to see who that "very good" climber is. Any ideas?

As mentioned in the transfer thread, #iam Leigh Howard could be one of the potential WT riders to sign. No idea if Denifl would qualify as a "very good climber", if so, he could be another one from the Iam leftovers
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 10:49 »

As mentioned in the transfer thread, #iam Leigh Howard could be one of the potential WT riders to sign. No idea if Denifl would qualify as a "very good climber", if so, he could be another one from the Iam leftovers

Nerz .... well maybe not
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8853
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 10:55 »
    mmh, probably not. Someone like #tinkoff Jay McCarthy or #iam Larry Warbasse could be a good fit though

edit: or not, apparently McCarthy has signed for Bora already
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 10:59 »
    mmh, probably not. Someone like #tinkoff Jay McCarthy or #iam Larry Warbasse could be a good fit though

both good names Warbasse is meant to be going to #cannondale but good call
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 11:53 »
    Nico Roche! :lol

A quick look gives me e.g. Brajkovic, Chris Anker, Antón or Arroyo. Hm.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 19:07 »
    That's a very interesting interview.

Taking Delaney's statements at face value, and taking into account that they've already signed Nordhaug, it appears that they are aiming to start out at a much higher level in terms of rider quality than I had anticipated. Delaney mentions signing "I think, another five" riders from the WT to add to Brammeier and Nordhaug. That's a lot of quality in a brand new 16 man squad, even taking into account the information from other statements that indicates that only 10 riders are actually signed and they are in negotiations to fill the other 6 slots.

I had expected a team mostly composed of Irish Conti riders and young prospects, with just a sprinkling of more experienced riders. ie I'd expected them to be an Irish version of One Pro Cycling. The indications are that they are instead planning to have a core of riders who are either straight from the WT or already ready for the WT, with a smaller number of prospects and riders coming up from the Continental level.

Assuming this is all true, I would guess that there are two explanations. First they are talking as if they have quite a lot of money by the shoestring standards of PCT teams. And secondly, they aren't coming up from the Continental ranks and so don't have a whole load of legacy riders who they might think deserve a shot at a pro contract.

On the "very good climber" part, it's not at all obvious who is being talked about.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4696
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 21:51 »

He still has that plane ticket.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 18:38 »
    Local journalist says that they are hoping to announce 7 more riders on Monday. Apparently one is "quite high profile", whatever that means, and none of the seven are Irish.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 19:06 »
    I'm beginning to get the impression that they are setting up quite a different sort of team to the one I'd anticipated.

I thought at first that they wouldn't get going, but that if they did they would be a team that would be almost all riders coming up from the Conti level or young prospects, half or more Irish, mostly development focused etc. Just the assumption that they would be majority Irish necessarily indicated a relatively low level of quality, given the thin layer of Irish riders who are already of PCT level but not completely unaffordable.

Instead, if the local journalist is right, they seem to be aiming to set themselves up as something more like a miniature version of one of the weaker WT teams. No large contingent of Irish Conti level riders, only the few who are definitely good enough and maybe a couple of young prospects. Instead the domestiques look more like they will be mostly made up of international riders of an established high level who are looking for contracts in a transfer season that heavily favours the teams. And they are making it sound as if their second leader will be of a similar sort of prominence to Nordhaug.

So not really a development focused team and not a bonanza of unearned Irish pro contracts.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 20:44 »
    French interview here: http://www.be-celt.com/2016/10/07/rick-delaney-team-aqua-blue-sport-acceder-au-world-tour-dici-4-ans-et-participer-au-tour-de-france/

At least as far as I can tell with my somewhat limited French:

1) The bus mystery has been cleared up. They were in the process of buying IAM's bus, but then got outbid at the last minute by Bahrain-Merida! A team with vast money. So instead they are buying the Tinkoff bus.

2) They will be based in Nice and, unsurprisingly, would very much like to participate in Paris-Nice. They don't sound like they expect an invitation next year however.

3) They are in the process of signing three French riders, but in all three cases the deal is not yet final (at least as of a day or two ago).
  • ReplyReply

•