Men's Road Cycling > Team Aqua Blue News
collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6795
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Team Aqua Blue News
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2017, 10:08 »
Was I a year too early with my scepticism? Still under review for the 2018 season.
I always thought Delaney's business model of "wine and spirits importer to Ireland" strange, and the team's business model of "eventually, our online marketplace for bike parts will pay the team budget" even stranger.

Is reality catching up with Delaney and his toy? I would hope not, for I found the team an exciting & successful one in its first season.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 170
    « Reply #61 on: December 13, 2017, 16:35 »
    We will see. That rich man's toy teams are dependent on the rich man being both rich enough and interested enough to keep ploughing money in is intrinsic to the model.

• ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #62 on: December 13, 2017, 17:36 »
    It's worth saying though that it's December, there's no sign of riders being shopped around, the team are announcing a stream of sponsors and equipment partners and they revealed their new kit today. None of this points towards a team that's about to disappear. (Or if they do disappear it would indicate rather extreme irresponsibility).

My concern about their longevity has always been about the third year forward, basically because I don't think a cycling sales website will earn a PCT budget and Delaney's commitment after the first two years was always phrased a bit more carefully.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #63 on: December 13, 2017, 17:53 »
    It's worth saying though that it's December, there's no sign of riders being shopped around, the team are announcing a stream of sponsors and equipment partners and they revealed their new kit today. None of this points towards a team that's about to disappear. (Or if they do disappear it would indicate rather extreme irresponsibility).
    I agree with this assessment; it's most likely that some inane paperwork hasn't quite gotten to Aigle in its original, triplicate form yet.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6328
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #64 on: December 14, 2017, 19:45 »
    Scepticism packed away.

http://www.procycling.no/innvilget-lisens-aqua-blue-sport/

They have their PCT status for 2018. :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #65 on: December 14, 2017, 21:25 »
    They have their PCT status for 2018. :)
    Must have been the myriad of shamrocks they now have on their sleeves that brought them good luck.
    :D
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #66 on: January 20, 2018, 17:53 »
    The wildcard situation is looking a bit concerning. No invites at all so far. They seem to be running into two problems: (1) there’s been a strengthening of the PCT division, including in the traditional cycling countries where race organisers are based. (2) Of the ambitious teams from outside the traditional countries, like Gazprom and Cycling Academy, they are backed by the least insanely wealthy oligarch.

It’s a bit tough when they were the team who gave the best return to race organisers in terms of wins and race animation from their wildcards last year.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6487
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #67 on: January 22, 2018, 11:01 »
    The wildcard situation is looking a bit concerning. No invites at all so far. They seem to be running into two problems: (1) there’s been a strengthening of the PCT division, including in the traditional cycling countries where race organisers are based. (2) Of the ambitious teams from outside the traditional countries, like Gazprom and Cycling Academy, they are backed by the least insanely wealthy oligarch.

It’s a bit tough when they were the team who gave the best return to race organisers in terms of wins and race animation from their wildcards last year.

Reminds me rather of One Pro Cycling. It was not always easy to see which races would suit them but the ones to which they obtained invitations earliest didn't seem like a good fit. Flanders was hard for them that first Spring. And then they were back to CT and struggling to move forward.

Even so, Aqua Blue has performed a lot better so far and hopefully Delaney has the money and patience to stick it out for longer as the, ahem, single-ring sponsor.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6328
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #68 on: January 22, 2018, 17:11 »

Five wildcards (with these smaller teams) would be a step in the right direction, but even then that would probably only get rid of the headache for RCS/ASO over which Italian/French team to leave out, it wouldn't result in another non-local invitee.

If the UCI goes through with it's reduction of WT to 17 teams next year and 16 the year after, then that could open up opportunities.

My favourite option is teams earning invites, like the Coppa Italia for the Giro, but extended to include non-local teams. A season long narrative anyone?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2367
    « Reply #69 on: January 22, 2018, 22:00 »
    I think the wild-cards should primarily be used nationally. The World Tour teams madatory invite take care of the global perspective, but to get spectators - put local riders on the road!

(And spectators doesn't make the wheels spin, but it makes the economy spin, just as we saw in the world championships  :P )
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #70 on: January 22, 2018, 23:51 »
    I think the wild-cards should primarily be used nationally. The World Tour teams madatory invite take care of the global perspective, but to get spectators - put local riders on the road!

(And spectators doesn't make the wheels spin, but it makes the economy spin, just as we saw in the world championships  :P )

There’s a balance to be struck between GTs as national tours and GTs as the pinnacle of international stage racing. I’m of the view that there should always be a substantial local presence, but it’s better when much if that presence is made up of top local riders and strong local teams preferably in the WT. I really don’t think it makes a blind bit of difference to interest levels in the Tour whether there are four, five, or six French teams in it. Particularly in a period when there are French podium contenders, nobody really cares if the fourth strongest second division team in France is in the breakaways.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #71 on: February 01, 2018, 21:08 »
    Well they may be having more trouble getting invites than last year, but they also gave their first win under their belts a lot earlier
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6487
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #72 on: February 02, 2018, 13:02 »
    3T will be pleased.

Delaney, you know, he told them the team was sure to deliver a good season in 2018.

He said that he was pretty sure about that, so 3T shouldn't hesitate to back them.

Furthermore, Delaney added, they could generate even more publicity with some sort of eye-catching techno gimmick.

3T agreed this was a pretty cool idea. It would be easier to do that if they supplied the team bikes. And Vroomen had already shown them a brilliant design.

"If you like it," smiled Delaney, "then you should put a single ring on it."
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media