collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1143
Roc d'Azur - Mountainbike Events - 5 to 9 October 2016
« on: October 04, 2016, 20:52 »
This is probably the most renowned MTB event in France.

It was created in 1984 around Ramatuelle on the French Riviera by Stéphane Hauvette with the design by Jean-Pierre Timmermans and was owned by the French Federation until bought over by Sportys in 2000.

Sadly by 2011 a decision of the Tribunal of Commerce, Sportys is bought over by ASO who thus organises the event.

Last year Tim Wellens raced the Sunday event and came in the spotlight but two punctures annihilated his chances.

This year he's racing the Friday and the Sunday events, apparently but unfortunately he's not in his 2015 shape.

About 400 participants are racing it every year said Tim Wellens last year. I guess he's strictly referring to the Sunday race because the off website refers to 5,000 participants !!

http://lottosoudal.be/het-tussenseizoen/?lang=fr

The programme for the event can be seen here:
http://www.rocazur.com/fr/les-courses/programme

The Roc Trophy starts on Thursday for 4 stages. Here are the profiles:

None available for the Saturday stage

The Roc d'Azur itself is the final stage which can be raced as a single-day event (if I get it right ???).

Here's the palmares:

2015   Victor Koretzky (FRA)   Julie Bresset (FRA)
2014   Jordan Sarrou (FRA)   Margot Moschetti (FRA)
2013   Miguel Martinez (FRA)   Elisabeth Osl (AUT)
2012   Stéphane Tempier (FRA)   Anna Szafraniec (POL)
2011   Moriz Milatz (ALL)   Maja Wloszczowska (POL)
2010   Alban Lakata (AUT)   Maja Wloszczowska (POL)
2009   Roel Paulissen (BEL)   Aleksandra Dawidowicz (POL)
2008   Roel Paulissen (BEL)   Elisabeth Osl (AUT)
2007   Jean-Christophe Peraud (FRA)   Henzi Petra (SUI)
2006   Christoph Sauser (SUI)   Alison Sydor (CAN)
2005   Christoph Sauser (SUI)   Maryline Salvetat (FRA)
2004   Miguel Martinez (FRA)   Alison Sydor (CAN)
2003   Jean-Christophe Peraud (FRA)   Alison Sydor (CAN)
2002   Peter Pouly (FRA)   Laurence Leboucher (FRA)
2001   Thomas Dietsch (FRA)   Laurence Leboucher (FRA)
2000   Thomas Dietsch (FRA)   Chantal Daucourt (SUI)
1999   Christophe Dupouey (FRA)   Laurence Leboucher (FRA)
1998   Christophe Dupouey (FRA)   Laurence Leboucher (FRA)
1997   Miguel Martinez (FRA)   Gunn Rita Dahle (NOR)
1996   Christophe Manin (FRA)   Gunn Rita Dahle (NOR)
1995   Bart Brentjens (HOL)   Sophie Eglin (FRA)
1994   Jean-Christophe Savignoni (FRA)   Sophie Eglin (FRA)
1993   Bruno Lebras (FRA)   Sylvia Furst (SUI)
1992   Tim Gould (GBR)   Eva Orvosova (SLQ)
1991   Tim Gould (GBR)   Eva Orvosova (SLQ)
1990   Bruno Lebras (FRA)   Sylvia Furst (SUI)
1989   Olaf Candau (FRA)   Nathalie Ségura (FRA)
1988   Patrice Thévenard (FRA)   
1987   Eric Chanton (FRA)   
1986   Jean-Pierre Morel (FRA)   
1985   Alain Dallenbach   
1984   Larbi Midoune   

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Sébastien Carabin is leader after the first day.   :cool

The Walloon guy from Andrimont beat Sonke Wegner +57" and Régis Ruchaud +1'26"

The route was fast. In the long 8-10km climb, I pushed a little bit and immediately isolated myself. I then dosed my effort to finish with a small margin. [This Friday] will be harder. Serious matters will kick off but I'm confident smiling)

vertical gains for each day:

350m on Thursday
    2,260m on Friday
    750m on Saturday
    1350m on Sunday the queen stage of the event.

(Article from "L'Avenir", today)  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Jordan Sarrou wins it ahead of Stéphane Tempier of Gap and *be Sébastien Carabin

*dk  #rainbow Annika Langvad wins the women's event ahead of Léna Gérault & Margot Moschetti.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Vtt/Actualites/Deuxieme-victoire-pour-jordan-sarrou-au-roc-d-azur/735232

On Day 3, the 82km marathon event was won by JulienTrarieux ahead of former #rainbow (2015) Alban Lakata. Beside Tim Wellens as expected, Romain Bardet was also present, a few days after his 4th place in Lombardy. He finished 102nd.

I enjoyed myself by starting in front but I knew I didn't have the capacities to remain in front. I cared not to get injured in the descents while having fun in the climbs.

Tim finished 75th:

What a nice race! I had a lot of fun on this magnificent course. I came to have fun and I'm overjoyed

*uk European Champion Sally Bigham won the Women's race that day.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-roc-d-azur-bardet-et-wellens-battus-par-julien-trarieux-rocdazur-frejus-vtt-bardet-wellens-trarieux-62987.html

The Saturday race was actually a new concept: "Gravel Roc". Someone has got to explain to me what it is. Anyway *it Guido Dracone won that stage. Apparently there's some cyclocrossing to it.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-roc-d-azur-guido-dracone-1er-vainqueur-du-gravel-roc-63006.html

Video Highlights of Stage 5, you may see Tim furtively at 0.14 :)

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    The Saturday race was actually a new concept: "Gravel Roc". Someone has got to explain to me what it is. Anyway *it Guido Dracone won that stage. Apparently there's some cyclocrossing to it.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-roc-d-azur-guido-dracone-1er-vainqueur-du-gravel-roc-63006.html
    The way I understand it, it's a race where you can only use gravel or cyclo-cross bikes (so no MTBs). Sounds like an interesting concept. :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Echoes

• Road Captain
    But then what is a gravel bike?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    But then what is a gravel bike?
    Good question; I couldn't explain it myself. So I let others do it: :D
    http://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2016/06/23/gravel-bike-vs-road-bike-whats-difference/

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Thank you.

Another article:

Last Friday in L’Avenir. For once I simply haven’t seen any news in the Dutch-speaking press (except one bit in the GvA announcing Wellens would take part in it but that's it, three lines) but well in the French-speaking one in Belgium. It's surprising but reassuring regarding cycling's influence in my part of Belgium.  ;)

Team Stevens Belgium based in Berloz (that’s a small town North-West of Liege near the linguistic border with Limburg, it’s close to Sint-Truiden) did not get any victory on the Roc d’Azur unlike last year when then 11 year old Géraud Heine of Braive (that’s a bit South of Berloz and North of Huy) won the “Kid Roc” in his category after being 4th in 2014.

But the team got very good results collectively with 4 top10 by the 5 riders present. Géraud Heine was 4th on the 6km (and 8th of the Kid Roc Ruelles) and his teammate Esteban Sorli was 9th . Aaron Sorli was 8th on the 4km just like Léa Creton on the 8km.

“The women were 43 at the start. It was a real change to Belgium for Léa since there you have 2 or 3 participants at the start”, says Rémy Docquier, in charge of the team. Sacha Simon, 46th on the 2km would also have reached the top10 on the 2k if he hadn’t crashed at the start.

“These were very satisfactory results, certainly if you bear in mind that it’s no circuit for my youngsters. At the Roc d’Azur the kiddie races are in the plains without any real technical difficulties but they still managed to see the queen contest of it with its technical parts. We did half of the route together in a leisurely mode”, he further said.

Riders and staff members had spent several days in Fréjus, Southern France in order to live the Roc d’Azur, attend its numerous contests and visit the salon. Some also capitalised on it to take part in other races. That is how Rémy Docquier took part in the tandem race with his partner.

“It was a challenge because she does not ride at all. It took us 3h21 including a 35’ break on the beach.”

It’s on that Southern French beach that Rémy asked her if he could marry her under the amused eyes of Pauline and Marion, their twin daughters who’d be 4 in December.

“I had hidden the ring in her saddle tube. She did not realise anything until the request and she said yes.”
  • ReplyReply

•