collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 881
Re: General News 2017
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2017, 03:00 »
UCI decided to reduce team size at every race.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/article174153566.html

7 riders per team for men's races but 8 riders for GT's and 6 riders for women's races.

Maximum of 176 riders per peloton is allowed.

176-man pelotons was pretty much the size of a classic peloton in the sixties and seventies on an average (GT's and Worlds were a bit smaller). It should be great. More entertainment and less stress for the riders.

Marc Madiot is an advocate of this measure. In his book "Parlons vélo" he claimed that he can no longer please a great many race organisers because the World Tour is taking too much room. With less riders on World Tour races, that should leave room for smaller races. For example, he deplored the fact that for the first time in 20 years he could not send a squad to the Three Days of De Panne. 

A reminder: Schaal Sels organiser Ben Simons experienced this last year but not this year.

Haleluja! The Second Coming is upon us! No, folks, just joking. I am damn glad they are trying this though. If they don't like it, they can go back, but this small measure should offer many benefits in safety and race action. Glad to see it.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #121 on: September 21, 2017, 11:21 »
     The Tour de Yorkshire confirmed with 4 days next year and the women's race increased from one to two. (Thursday+Friday)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #122 on: September 21, 2017, 12:06 »
    And Brian Cookson is no longer UCI president.
    8 votes for him, 37 for David Lappartient.
    :o
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #123 on: September 21, 2017, 12:52 »
    And Brian Cookson is no longer UCI president.
    8 votes for him, 37 for David Lappartient.
    :o

Slight hammering that.
     What, if anything will change I wonder?
     Not great news for women's cycling, I suspect.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #124 on: September 21, 2017, 13:05 »
    What, if anything will change I wonder?
    Not great news for women's cycling, I suspect.
    We'll see.
    Lappartient did say this:
    https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/uci-presidential-candidate-says-uci-aso-and-others-must-do-more-for-womens-cycling/
    Whether he'll actually do something about it, or it's only talk, time will tell.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #125 on: September 21, 2017, 13:57 »
    We'll see.
    Lappartient did say this:
    https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/uci-presidential-candidate-says-uci-aso-and-others-must-do-more-for-womens-cycling/
    Whether he'll actually do something about it, or it's only talk, time will tell.

As you say, we will see. Much, much better to judge at the end of a term, rather than to pre-judge.
    Good to read that he has changed his attitude and admits to having had a very poor home record on women's cycling.
     This was my concern.
    Acknowledgement is definitely a positive sign.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5356
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #126 on: September 21, 2017, 17:03 »
    http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/61434/le-contre-la-montre-par-equipes-supprime-du-mondial

No more TTT at the Worlds after 2019. I don't think it will be missed too much.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #127 on: September 21, 2017, 17:07 »
    http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/61434/le-contre-la-montre-par-equipes-supprime-du-mondial

No more TTT at the Worlds after 2019. I don't think it will be missed too much.
    The mickey-mouse event will be gone. :win
    Personally, I always found it pointless and out of place. Worlds is for national teams.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #128 on: September 21, 2017, 17:44 »
     No coincidence that the French are just rubbish at it.

I rather liked it. Especially good this year.
    Sponsors won't be too happy.

• ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 952
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #129 on: September 21, 2017, 18:06 »
    He will be no different to the others, and a few years from now, we'll be saying he was a waste of time. It's not the face, but the organisation itself that's not lithe. Their achievements won't even make the news. McQuaid did okay (he inherited a far greater mess), Cookson wasn't horrible. I'm going to guess the same for this man.

If he's an ASO stooge, well then good luck. But I doubt he'll successfully change much.
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1056
    « Reply #130 on: September 21, 2017, 18:07 »

It is an underrated event in my worthless opinion, a showcase for cycling and the bike industry. It shows another side of cycling where a team is working as one without influence from other riders. Rotation and pacing strategy is very important especially on undulating/rolling/technical courses.

Re only a couple of (rich) teams can/will always win it - as compared to GTs for example where the GC contenders pool is a couple dozen riders deep but in reality four riders have won 11 of the last 15 Grand Tours.
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1318
    « Reply #131 on: September 21, 2017, 21:48 »
    I'm copying here parts of what I have translated from Madiot's book "Parlons vélo" (Talent Sport 2015 re-edited in 2017) regarding the UCI elections. It's an interview with Mathieu Coureau of Ouest-France. You can see more on the Dark Side and in the Library

Coureau: If Cookson gets reelected?

Half the French calendar will disappear in the three years to come. For example: late July, the London Surrey Classic is held at the same time as San Sebastian and the Tour of Poland. The bigger teams will go to London. We, in France, have the Polynormande. How do we do? That's it. We are all gonna die. So will the teams because there is no room for anybody.

[...]

Coureau: You only believe in David Lappartient?

I feel like believing in him, yes. First because he is Latin and thereby has a solid culture of this sport, knowledge of its base. He knows what a village race is ["course de village", just another phrase in French as equivalent to the Belgian kermess, like "course de clocher" ("Churchtower Races")], he knows how race organisations work. He is a politician but I think he feels like defending this cycling DNA and if he gets elected in Bergen in September 2017, he will not have any other choice than trying to do something and move the lines. Otherwise I fail to see how we are going to overcome.

Coureau: Has worry gained grounds?

Yes and then 80% of race organisations are the works of associations and voluntary workers. If you do not bear that in mind, you are massively wrong. You are dead. David Lappartient knows about that. The voluntary workers are also ageing.

[...]

Coureau: the gap has increased between those voluntary workers like Guy and Jocelyne Leriget in the Mayenne, real mainstay of the same Boucles de la Mayenne and the authorities?

The UCI's disdain is complete. These are rednecks who were unable to evolve, that is what they are going to tell you up there if ever you are telling them about those admirable voluntary workers. It is a bit like in the world of labour, this cult of companies against the craftsmen's world. I am sorry but we need craftsmen. The little ones have a right to live. The problem is that there will always be people like Patrick Lefevere to tell you in a meeting:"Marc, in cycling just like in life, the big ones are made to eat the small ones."

Cookson is on the same track. He's planting flags on sand and I am not talking about geography, in places where people have money and who are pleased to see a bike race at a given moment. It cannot persist in time. It is a bad start. The day they have no more races, half as many teams and riders, what will they do? They will invent a new policy in order to restart the machine? Probably. The old farmer in me is still present: the land of the farm is handed over from father to son and I hope I can raise my son enough in order for him not to get rid of it. For what it's worth cycling is like a land that you hand over. I reached the final part of my career and I need to hand something over. If I am not fighting for it I am neither honest towards myself nor towards the people who had worked before me. People like Colonel Richard Marillier or Cyrille Guimard [Marillier was the French national coach from 1969 to 1981, a former resistant during WWII, he was a major influence to Madiot before the latter turned pro. He passed away in January this year] and many more. Towards all those who have built up this story with its positive and negative aspects, the wounds, the plagues, all. I am not alone. I am sure that Jean-René Bernaudeau is on the same track even if we have never talked about it, so is Vincent Lavenu, David Lappartient, Christian Prudhomme... We have a common DNA.

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #132 on: September 22, 2017, 04:05 »
    Have a suggestion, or two, about where Madiot can shove his words.

Hope he recognises the irony of laying into ride London/ Poland to protect other races. Basically calling for those races to be put on the back burner/killed as he says in place of the protection of pointless Napoleon cup races that are for Bouhanni to pad his stats.

And hope he recognises the irony of calling the UCI rednecks (?)... Assuming that's a rough translation but that it was a jibAe at them... I only saw one bogan talk about Latin origin and understanding the French.

What. A. Colossal. pr*ck.

What he seems to want is an administrator to pander to his wishes than anything else.

I, for one, support Lappartient's reign (edit: snigger at my own delusion of self importance). If not for anything else, it will bust the myth that everything French is good for cycling. We saw how they screwed football more than it even was.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:22 by Ram »

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #133 on: September 22, 2017, 08:24 »
     I don't think he is talking of protecting the Napoleon cup races. The event seems to be on the rise, due to pretty good coverage.
    They are also Belgian, which guarantees interest. So, they get good audience atmosphere.
    On the whole it works very well as an under card to all the big semi and classic races.

No, he's talking about the French Road Cycling Cup, which for the most part is completely the opposite in terms of organisation and as you say, pad Bouhanni's stats. Outside France they are something to catch up on from PCS, or a couple of minutes on the Tube, because that's all french tv can be arsed to cover.

It is worrying to read Madiot talking in such nationalistic terms.

If Lappartient is to protect smaller races from going under, he first needs to look outside France, to Spain and Italy.
     Those two countries calendars bare little resemblance to how they were, fifteen years ago.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #134 on: September 22, 2017, 09:29 »
    I don't know if it is a mistake in my translation or if you misunderstood but Madiot did not consider the UCI as rednecks, he only claimed that the UCI would disregard the organisers of the Boucles de la Mayenne as "péquenauds" (word I translated by "rednecks", could as well be "bumpkin" or "yokel" whatever). The nuance is crucial.

If you read my post on the Library you'd see that Madiot is very much concern with the disappearance of Italian semi-classics. He had conversations with McQuaid about it and McQuaid did not care at all.

Besides I don't see why a Frenchman like Madiot should not be first and foremost concerned with the disappearance of French races. I think masks are falling. When it matters you'd always defend the UCI against small race organisers because they happen to be from Continental Europe while you are Australian, American, whatever. Hail to the UCI! Hats off Mssr Verbrugghen, McQuaid and Cookson! Why don't you say it?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:42 by Echoes »

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #135 on: September 22, 2017, 13:06 »

If you read my post on the Library you'd see that Madiot is very much concern with the disappearance of Italian semi-classics. He had conversations with McQuaid about it and McQuaid did not care at all.

Besides I don't see why a Frenchman like Madiot should not be first and foremost concerned with the disappearance of French races. I think masks are falling. When it matters you'd always defend the UCI against small race organisers because they happen to be from Continental Europe while you are Australian, American, whatever. Hail to the UCI! Hats off Mssr Verbrugghen, McQuaid and Cookson! Why don't you say it?

Hang on. Who is defending the UCI here?
    The shrinking calendar of races in established Mediterranean countries, including Southern France has long been a concern of mine and others, unfortunate enough to have been born in English speaking nations.
     This is part of an ongoing discussion, elsewhere:
    From 2014, part of the OP:-

Teams
    The number of spanish teams have steadily decreased

Year - PT/WT - PC - Conti - Total
    2014 - 1 - 1 -2 - 4
    2013 - 2 - 1 -2 - 5
    2012 - 2 - 2- 2 - 6
    2011 - 2 - 3 -2 - 7
    2010 - 3 - 2 -3 - 8
    2009 - 3 - 3 -2 - 8
    2008 - 3 - 4 - 2 - 9
    2007 - 3 - 4 -4 - 11
    2006 - 4 - 5 -5 - 14
    2005 - 4 - 3 -4 - 11

With protour/worldtour and procontinental being positions where you have to pay your riders, this has meant since 2006, there has been a decrease of teams paying from 9 to 2 teams in spain

race days
    source: search races feature on cqranking.com - excluding the points and mountains jersey for the vuelta a espana, volta a catalunya and vuelta a pais vasco

2014 - 66 (excluding worlds)
    2013 - 76
    2012 - 82
    2011 - 105
    2010 - 113
    2009 - 117
    2008 - 158
    2007 - 153
    2006 - 157
    2005 - 170
    2004 - 137

My response:-

Italy seems to be heading in exactly the same direction.
    Until recently, even having one WT team, seemed to be unlikely.
    I've noticed a large drop in racing this past couple of years, as races continue to go under.

A quick check and:

2014 - 90
    2013 - 104*
    2012 - 135
    2011 - 156
    2010 - 152
    2009 - 155
    2008 - 158*
    2007 - 153

* Ex Worlds.

With the way the UCI have shifted about many lone established Italian semi classics, to shoe in races such as the dead duck, Tour of Beijing, more could well disappear from next year's calendar.
    Italy is another country hit hard by the global recession, but I do wonder if this hemorrhaging of races is solely due to financing, or are their other, underlying factors at play.

And:-

France had a recent peak of 248 race days in 2009.
    Since when it has dropped roughly a week a year, to currently stand at 208.

Belgium bucks the trend, having had just 65 races days in 2009, peaking at 79 in 2012.

I read some of that extremely long post you linked.
    It reads like the ramblings a xenophobic dinosaur; blaming Anglos almost exclusively for the demise of French cycling and ignoring other factors such as complacency and poor business modelling.

French should be written into the UCI rules as the sole, official language of the sport? That's a pipe dream if ever there was one.
    A sure fire way to send the sport to the wall in short order.
    It is a normal, human reaction that as one grows older, one longs for the good old days.
    Unfortunately, the good old days cannot function in the modern era.
    Like it or not Globalisation in some form or other is here to stay and with it comes an overriding commercial bias.

Anyhow, back to the UCI. what can they do to help the dozens of 1.1/2.1 that survive, (or don't) hand to mouth, on a yearly basis?
    Well, one thing they cannot do directly is fund or bail out these events. It is not in their remit and if it were, they lack the funds.
    Imo, one thing they can do in the short term, is to make significant changes to the two calendars that are run, atm, almost in direct opposition to one another.
    They can look place smaller races more sympathetically into slots that are less crowded, thus offering the possibility of attracting stronger fields, or at least securing their current startlist.
    The Criterium International is the most obvious recent example of why this step should be undertaken.

It is easy to blame the UCI for the woes of localised races, but beyond that which I mention above, plus apathy, they are not the cause.
     Neither do they possess the cure.
     For the answers we need to look elsewhere.
    Why has the Strade Bianche captured the imagination of the cycling public, yet the Tro Bro Leon remains a relatively obscure race?
    Unfortunately, I think most here know the answer.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #136 on: September 22, 2017, 15:11 »
    Had you read that post you'd have known that Madiot is concerned with the disappearance of Italian races, that he realises that many problems French race organisers are facing are strictly French, that he as President of the French Pro league has encouraged calendar changes for French races, etc. He never said that French should be the sole UCI official language.

Dismissing him as a nationalist and xenophobe speaks volume about you. Obviously painting him as the devil while he's the main opponent to the WT is the best way to defend the current system. Besides you accept globalisation as a fatality, like the weather. It's not fatality - whether in cycling or more globally in economics. If teams are forced to race WT races to exist they can no longer race 1.1 level races in their home countries and then those races disappear. It's easy to claim they should find better calendar slots. Only that cannot be a solution for 50 races !!! Only a happy few semi-classics can gain a nice place as build-up for spring classics. It's an arrogant stance. Obviously the WT is taking too much space and GT's in particular, so that WT teams can no longer please smaller race organisers. Madiot is not the only one to say it. The problem is not strictly French. Denying it is being some sort of a supporter...
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #137 on: September 22, 2017, 16:01 »
    Mellow, cheers for that. It shows that I've not paid as close attention to the sport as I used to a few years ago. Thought the Napoleon cup was the French cup rebranded.

Anyway, as Rafa Benitez says- let's talk facts (fax?). Only about the Oceania tour....

Anglo Saxon Australasian world- the Oceania Tour (fwiw, if someone goes on Anglo Saxon rant as Madiot did in your extract, he does fall close to xenophobia imo. Not fully, but with tendencies):
    2006-07
    8–14 October   Herald Sun Tour    Australia
    21 October   Melbourne to Warrnambool Classic
    6–11 November   Tour of Southland
    16–21 January   Tour Down Under    Australia
    24–28 January   Tour of Wellington

In the time post that:
    Warrnambool has lost its UCI accreditation.
    Southland has lost its UCI accreditation.
    Wellington has lost its UCI accreditation.
    Hell, the standard bearer of Australian road cycling for 50-60 years lost its UCI accreditation for a season the year Calvin Watson won.
    Tour of Tasmania lost its UCI accreditation in the early 2000s.
    Tour Down Under is the only one which has not had any downs since then.

Just by that small sample, it's abundantly clear that the UCI has done everything for the English world...

How about the some British races? Lincoln GP. Rutland Melton. These two races bring about as good international fields as some of these French races, ie all but none.

If these races are living beyond their means as 2.1 and 1.1 races and bringing in stellar international cast from Alsace Lorraine to Brittany... then maybe a downgrade to 2.2 and living within their means is what is required. If the UCI starts propping up random French races, then who's to stop all other nations from demanding the same? Malaysia? Costa Rica? Cameroon? List can go on forever.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #138 on: September 22, 2017, 16:12 »
    We do not appreciate enough the fact French is cycling's official language, that it should be written in the UCI's and the IOC's stones.(I take that to be rules)

Thanks for the response, but I can find nothing in the way of constructive suggestions or solutions to respond to.
    Attacking the poster I take as a cue to take my leave.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #139 on: September 22, 2017, 17:13 »
    You are again going to say that I'm attacking posters but you constantly unjustly accuse Madiot.

He's never said that the UCI did everything to promote Anglophone cycling but that the UCI leaders who happened to have been Anglophone did everything to globalise this sport and to boost races in place where cycling is not popular, strictly for the money and where his sponsor Française des Jeux has no business going to. He's constantly referring to the Tour of Qatar, the Tour of Peking, the Tour of Abu Dhabi and the Wincanton Classics (which was held at a time cycling was less popular in the UK than it is now, wasn't it?).

Perhaps I should have quoted the whole translation I've made but then again some of you find it too long, so I had to make it shorter. Madiot has said several times in the book that he had nothing against Anglophone people and that he had and will still have Anglophone riders in his team in the future.

I'm not French myself as you know. So why should I defend him? If not because what he realised about cycling in his country I've also noticed in my country. What he said about the Polynormande, I noticed about the GP Cerami, Dwars door het Hageland and the Tour of Wallonia, all of which have been snobbed by Quick Step because they had to race WT races instead or make altitude training session as a build-up for the Tour of Spain.

If you've noticed the same in your own countries why don't you just say "I agree with him" instead of trashing him?

Besides, don't forget he's not just the FdJ team manager but also the President of the French Pro League (a typically French association I think, there's no equivalent in other countries, in cycling to my knowledge) and that as such it's his job to protect French races. He is in his role.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #140 on: September 23, 2017, 06:11 »
    I disagree with him because he's saying that French races should be propped up just because they're French.

Secondly, I disagree with him because I find what he says objectionable. Lappartient is a career politician. Apart from his country, there's nothing about him that Madiot has to go on about "understanding the sport". And I am not Australian, nor Anglo Saxon, nor is English even my first language. If we reverse the roles and had Brailsford said the same? Imagine the meltdown...

Thirdly, all he's trying to do is save his own arse. He cannot be the guy under whose watch struggling .1 races became more sustainable .2 races. Instead, he needs the status quo to be maintained and have these races struggle year on year to save his own face. This is something that hits hierarchical companies regularly. The top dog doesn't want to be the guy who took a brave/foolhardy decision which resulted in short term losses as it can affect their legacy (even if it meant long term gain). Downgrading isn't always bad.

The Oceania downgrades are also examples of how races can survive and thrive inspite and despite... Southland is still one of the biggest races in Oceania. So too the Tour of Tasmania. If these French races mean little without UCI classification, maybe their history also means flip all. And in general, they are far from indispensable. Most races are.

What Madiot would be better suited doing is setting right the rot of the Bouhanni series. Are they too expensive? Do they make a marketing or a financial decision? Both have their risks and limits.

As for Qatar:it's never been WT. 2017, maybe, but it got cancelled. With diplomatic tensions there, and UAE and Bahrain two of the countries... who knows whether 2018 will occur. Plus they and UAE can offer flip you money. If Madiot had a Boonen/Cancellara type A lister for his classics squad, I'd bet my bottom dollar that he'd very happily swim in the middle eastern money instead of singing la Marsellaise. That is ignoring that Qatar was as a very good preparation for the classics.

If he's still whinging about Wincanton, then that maybe hits the nail on the head with his problems. Whether he likes it or not, everything moves forward. Wincanton died 20 years ago. But Ride London, as mentioned there, puts on a better exhibition of racing (quality of field), coverage and fandom than most of the French races (note, I didn't say all).

I fear I'm repeating most of what I've been saying. So will pull out and have to agree to disagree as this could become an infinite loop.

for (i=1; i>0; i++)
    ctrl+break
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #141 on: September 26, 2017, 11:36 »
    We don't have many serious things to talk about today, it appears:
    https://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/tourdefrance/detail_les-cyclistes-barbus-interdits-au-sein-de-l-equipe-sport-vlaanderen?id=9719553

#vlaanderen DS Walter Planckaert says that his riders may not grow beards.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #142 on: October 05, 2017, 11:08 »
    http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/registration-process-for-208-uci-men-road-teams/

It's that time of year again. List of teams applying for pro licenses:

18 teams applying for registration as a UCI WorldTeam (1st division):
    #ag2r AG2R LA MONDIALE
    #astana ASTANA PRO TEAM
    #bahrain BAHRAIN – MERIDA
    #bmc BMC RACING TEAM
    #bora BORA – HANSGROHE
    #didata TEAM DIMENSION DATA
    #efd TEAM EF EDUCATION FIRST – DRAPAC P/B CANNONDALE
    #fdj FDJ
    #katusha TEAM KATUSHA ALPECIN
    #jumbo TEAM LOTTO NL – JUMBO
    #lotto LOTTO SOUDAL
    #movistar MOVISTAR TEAM
    #orica ORICA – SCOTT
    #quickstep QUICK – STEP FLOORS
    #sky TEAM SKY
    #sunweb TEAM SUNWEB
    #trek TREK – SEGAFREDO
    #uae UAE TEAM EMIRATES

26 teams applying for registration as a UCI Professional Continental Team (2nd division):
    #androni ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI – SIDERMEC
    #aquablue AQUA BLUE SPORT
    #bardiani BARDIANI CSF
    #cajarural CAJA RURAL – SEGUROS RGA
    #ccc CCC SPRANDI POLKOWICE
    #cofidis COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS
    #delko DELKO MARSEILLE PROVENCE KTM
    #direct DIRECT ENERGIE
    #fortuneo PRO CYCLING BREIZH (FORTUNEO – OSCARO)
    #gazprom GAZPROM – RUSVELO
    #academy ISRAEL – CYCLING ACADEMY
    #manzana MANZANA POSTOBON
    #nippo NIPPO – VINI FANTINI – EUROPA OVINI
    #novonordisk TEAM NOVO NORDISK
    #roompot ROOMPOT – NEDERLANDSE LOTERIJ
    #vlaanderen SPORT VLAANDEREN – BALOISE
    #uhc UNITEDHEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM
    #willems VERANDA'S WILLEMS - CRELAN
    #wanty WANTY – GROUPE GOBERT
    #wbva WB AQUA PROTECT VERANCLASSIC
    #wilier WILIER TRIESTINA – SELLE ITALIA
    #murias EUSKADI BASQUE COUNTRY – MURIAS (NEW)
    #axeon HAGENS BERMAN AXEON (NEW)
    #holowesko HOLOWESKO | CITADEL P/B ARAPAHOE RESOURCES (NEW)
    #rally RALLY CYCLING (NEW)
    #vital TEAM VITAL CONCEPT (NEW)

#burgos Burgos-BH is missing from this list, but that doesn't necessarily have to mean much. Spanish sources say the issues (probably some inane paperwork missing and/or filed 12 seconds late) will be resolved:
    https://twitter.com/andrescanovas/status/915876302229516288

#brasil Brasil Pro Cycling is also missing from the list; it could be because of late paperwork as well. I think it's more likely that the team will be no more - not that they were much of a presence this year:
    They participated in five UCI stage races[1] for a grand total of 33 race days! :o
    EDIT: Also, as has been pointed out to me by Shane Stokes, they've served not one, but two team suspensions this year for previous years' doping cases. :fp
     1. and this already includes the Tour of Turkey!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:43 by LukasCPH »

hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 881
    « Reply #143 on: October 06, 2017, 01:34 »
    Do we have a 2018 TdF route thread yet? Well, we have news! Maybe. Not official yet, but we may see

THE RETURN OF THE COBBLES! :=B :yum :woooo  :=B :snooty

YEEEHAAAA! Let's go!

francebleu.fr tour-de-france-fera-etape-a-roubaix-le-15-juillet-2018!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #144 on: October 10, 2017, 20:02 »
    http://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/altro/mondiale-paesi-baschi-cominciano-lavorarci/

What happened in Pontferrada (11+ million debt) and Bergen (~7.4 million debt) hasn't put others off wanting to host the Worlds. The Basques are mulling over a bid for financial ruin (and a bike race).
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #145 on: November 03, 2017, 18:31 »
    It's that time of year again. List of teams applying for pro licenses:

#burgos Burgos-BH is missing from this list, but that doesn't necessarily have to mean much. Spanish sources say the issues (probably some inane paperwork missing and/or filed 12 seconds late) will be resolved:
    https://twitter.com/andrescanovas/status/915876302229516288

https://as.com/ciclismo/2017/11/03/mas_ciclismo/1509702795_229199.html

The Burgos-BH will be a professional continental team in 2018. After completing all the deadlines and requirements of the International Cycling Union (UCI) has received green light from the body, as confirmed to his manager, Julio Andrés Izquierdo.

:cool
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    « Reply #146 on: November 07, 2017, 20:38 »
    Who said was this was the time of year when we get rumours that #sky Chris Froome will race the Giro next year?

Remains to see if true, but with next year's leap-year calendar (cyclingwise - it means an extra week between the G and the T due to men on a grass pitch in Russia) - it may be the best chance to string up 4 in a row that (or even just 3) any cyclist is likely to get in a long time. So, Froome might just as well give it a shot-  or is he going to prioritize just his TdF #5?

What would you prefer?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #147 on: November 07, 2017, 22:39 »
    It would be quite cool if he did go for the Giro, if only to cheese off ASO, but it ain't going to happen.

Nairo's attempt this year should still be fresh in a lot of people's minds, and despite what Froome says about him "still improving physically and mentally", if he is to join the 5-club then being at 85 or 90% won't cut it against a 100% Dumoulin, Quintana or Porte.

Plus according to rumours there will only be ~45km of TT in the 2018 Giro, down from ~70km this year.

Add in the fairly high chance of inclement weather and I just don't see him in Israel in a few months time.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #148 on: November 08, 2017, 10:41 »
    http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2017/10/10/continental-explosion-set-australian-cycling

Eight Australian CT teams next year?

IsoWhey Sports SwissWellness, St George Continental and Drapac-Pat’s Veg are the existing continental teams and all are understood to be continuing into next season. The trio have achieved strong results overseas and domestically.

They’re going to have some more competition next year if the persistent rumours in the Australian peloton are true, with existing teams Cobra9 Intebuild Racing Team (ie. Brisbane Continental Cycling Team), Oliver’s Real Food Racing, Mobius Future Racing (signed Brad Evans the other day), Attaque Team Gusto (switching from a Slovenian licence) and the new Australian Cycling Academy setup all seeking a Continental licence for next season.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9474
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #149 on: November 08, 2017, 10:59 »
    Add in the fairly high chance of inclement weather and I just don't see him in Israel in a few months time.

haven't they just postponed the presentation?! Maybe RCS still sees a chance to add more time trialing and scrap the week in the north :P
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"