collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6197
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: General News 2017
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2017, 11:03 »
Perhaps the New Zealanders have found their way to win the cup back.
If they win, all other contenders will use this the next time around, of course.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 717
    « Reply #91 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35 »
    If they win, all other contenders will use this the next time around, of course.

It'll be like the Aussies and the winged keel back in 1983.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #92 on: February 21, 2017, 09:40 »
    http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170221_02742250
    Het Nieuwsblad did a poll of the organisers of 22 Belgian races, and half of them said that it would be unavoidable to at some point start charging spectators.

Discuss.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #93 on: February 21, 2017, 09:45 »
    I don´t mind it tbh

I also hope the big Moutain top finishes also do the same Barriers the whole way and controllable crowds will improve racing, it does take away the charm maybe, but might also increase numbers at 1.1 2.1 races which would be free
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5367
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #95 on: February 21, 2017, 19:38 »
    http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170221_02742250
    Het Nieuwsblad did a poll of the organisers of 22 Belgian races, and half of them said that it would be unavoidable to at some point start charging spectators.

Discuss.

I've never been to a race and most likely never will, so in many ways I don't care.

The article does mention Nokere Koerse as one race which is already doing it.

https://twitter.com/nokerekoerse/status/833998372411473921

That doesn't sound unreasonable, though no doubt they hope that you'll spend more than a few quid on chips, beverages etc from their own vendors. They have various VIP packages available too, but I'm less impressed with them - more for the prawn sandwich brigade.

So actually I'm not against the move at all. There's no way they'd be able to put an entire race or even a circuit behind a literal pay wall, so everyone could still see the race, but just not at the finish or at a certain point, and even then people will be able to watch those points from gardens, upstairs windows, trees etc if they are lucky to live nearby.

One potential problem is, if it turned into a success, would we see every race ending in multiple (8x or more) circuits? That wouldn't be too cool.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9478
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #96 on: February 25, 2017, 09:16 »
    this is pretty much impossible to read unfortunately (can't get it in higher resolution without paying for it), but kinda related... there was something about the budget of Belgian races in the Gazet van Antwerpen today:

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1319
    « Reply #97 on: February 26, 2017, 15:49 »
    It's the same article. Gazet van Antwerpen and Nieuwsblad along with Belang van Limburg are all part of the same media group: Mediahuis. So but for local news they usually have the same articles.  ;)

The budget for all Flemish races (well they include the Tour of Belgium and that of the Lowlands Tour in it, well run by Golazo) is €14 million: Half the organizers think that entry pay is inevitable in the long run.

Nick Nuyens [who is organizing Dwars door het Hageland] says:
    If I go and see some football with my kids everybody finds it normal that I have to pay €2.5 for it while if you want to see the cycling top then it has to be for free. Weird!

The World’s top will once again cross the Flemish roads … for free. At least for the moment. Because the question is raised whether this will last or not, as it seems from a survey by your newspaper with the 22 greatest events.

For the biggest ones: Tour of Flanders, GPE3, Ghent-Wevelgem, you don’t need to worry. Organizers don’t think it is inevitable in the long run to make the spectators pay to see the race. They start from the principle that the race should be accessible for everyone. It’s most of all among the smaller race that the idea is more tempting.

It shouldn’t be surprising. Their budget is remarkably low and almost for 100% dependent on the sponsors, VIP and subsidies. 6 organizers admit that they are threatened by a lack of means but 90% of them admit that there’s one thing that they don’t lack and it’s spectators but apart from the Nokere Koerse, they are visiting the races for free. But making spectators pay will spark resistance.

A strong mentality change will be needed for it because people are so accustomed to races being for free.

Says Rob Discart of Golazo Sport, organizer of the Tour of Belgium among others [ not said in the article but also of  17 cyclocross races, of the Lowlands Tour, the Ghent Sixes and the Farewell Events for Nys & Cancellara, track & field events such as the Van Damme Memorial, triathlons and gymnastic events as well!!!].

For the moment only the Nokere Koerse is asking for 5€ in the “zone of truth”. Among others, the Tour of Limburg considers introducing this as well.

Cycling comes second to football in this country.With events such as the Tour of Flanders and Ghent-Wevelgem whereby the eyes of half of the sport loving world is directed towards Flanders, the whole sector still does it with a budget of €14 million. Next to nothing (I don’t know if there’s a word for Dutch “habbekrats”).

You can also see that with how the different organizers work. Flanders Classics, organizers of the Tour of Flanders does it with hardly 11 permanent partners and beside E3 & Golazo it’s the only organization with full-time people at their service. The rest fully turns with voluntary workers.  So that’s cycling in Flanders. Absolute top sport but its races are depending on hundred brave souls who help after their own jobs and who are mainly ageing. It seems hard to motivate youngsters to jobs like holding cars off (“auto’s tegenhouden”) for one day. In a global sport world which is dominated by big figures, the fragility of the Flemish race world threatens to get only worse.

The €14 million clashes with the budget of Tomorrowland [an electronic music festival in Boom, Antwerp, in July], which 5 years ago was already turning around a €24 million budget. The Formula GP of Francorchamps alone has a €13 million yearly budget. Only the Tour of Flanders, the Queen of all these races, has a budget that easily exceeds €2 million but this too seems easily below the €4.5 million of the Van Damme Memorial [I repeat it’s a Golazo event ;)].

For the 22 asked races [sic] there’s a total €13.28 million. Given the fact that there are 31 Flemish races in the international pro calendar, it amounts to an estimated ~14 million for the total budget.

16 races acknowledged to be depending on pure sponsoring for at least 75%. For most of them it even goes up to 80% & more. To be conceded in that high percentage there’s also ‘hospitality’[1] (the rising sales of VIP packs) and one race even managed to find a lucrative name sponsor: don’t talk about “E3 Harelbeke” anymore but well “Record Bank E3 Harelbeke” [:fp]. But then again the sponsor share remains particularly high.

Top races don’t experience this as a problem now and trust their influence in order to find sponsors but for the many smaller races it’s rummaging (“wroeten”?). 6 races acknowledge that they are endangered by lack of money. One big sponsor retiring and they have a problem and even those who can manage it admit that it’s not easy.
    In order to get one sponsor you first need to get a hundred time with your head against the wall
    says Nick Nuyens.

Also remarkable is the share of town money. It’s a public secret that the Tour of Flanders gets €400,000 from start place Antwerp and finish place Oudenaarde. But all other races are just as well depending on subsidies for the rest of their income. 20% or more of their budget for 14 races comes from local authorities.

We are in a period in which all the authorities have to save money. We feel that in the race
    Says Piet De Smet, organizer of the Scheldeprijs [and its wonderful route]

Only the major races gain income from TV rights but by far most races are already glad if they don’t have to pay in order to get on TV. Yet TV coverage is crucial. 14 of the 22 interviewed races acknowledge not to manage to exist without live TV coverage.
     1. in English in the text
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #98 on: February 27, 2017, 14:12 »
    If I may give my opinion, I do understand it can be a problem for small organization. I however cannot understand that a company such as Golazo which organises so many paying events should find it inevitable though. Same with all the race orgas that can get TV profits.

What's worth noting is also that Belgium is one of the few countries in Europe which hasn't massively lost races. In France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Switzerland many races have disappeared since the start of the century and few have been created. So I guess it's logical that if all those races have been preserved, it would be with a lot of trouble. 

Besides I'm wondering how this can be control. I remember the first time I went to the cyclocross of Namur. I had my ticket, went up the Citadelle from an isolated path. I never was checked and could easily have been there for free. So it's hard to imagine how to control that down in a town. Well following editions of the Namur cross were better controlled though.

From a consumer point of view it's hard to see it worth paying for that though. Granted I only visited races in Belgium, so never in the mountain, I'd say visiting a race is rarely interesting. You are waiting for an hour and see the peloton passing by for 8 seconds, well... Okay I've been several times on top of the Citadelle for the end of the GP de Wallonie or the Tour of Namur and it still was quickly done. So as Leadbelly suggested, several final laps should then be a solution to make it worth paying for roadside viewers and even then, it's not that much better.

The most interesting situations for roadside viewers are ITT's and start places. ITT's because you see a rider coming every 2 minutes and also can estimate the time your favourite one will pass (it might seem weird because on the telly ITT's are usually boring for most of you) and the start because you approach the riders quite easily, kids may ask for autographs and photo's with their heroes who are usually more relaxed then at the finish.

Then of course there's cyclocross which here in Belgium I've always known payable. However I remember Simunek saying it was for free in the Czech Republic. If I may talk about my first time at the Namur Cross in 2009, I paid my ticket, €8 pre-sale (it was €10 on the spot itself)[back then it was still the GvA Trophy, present-day DVV Trophy] and I was there from the novice race all the way to the elite race (including juniors, U23 & women). 5 races, a whole day + seeing the riders beside their vans, rolling. Wonderful! It was still in September, so a hot sunny day. A friend agreed with me that €8 for that was worth it, if you are passionate about the sport. Cyclocross is like an ITT, you may see a rider passing by every 10" and provided it's quite hilly and turning, you can see riders passing 360° around you (in Namur or Overijse, that was the case for me).

Nowadays it's in winter and it's a World Cup event, so it's € 13 or 15 whether presale or on the spot and I have less time to spend the whole day there but I still think it's worth it. The DVV/Superprestige or non-ranked cross are now €10/12. Prices never go down, lol but it's not that expensive for cyclocross. 
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #99 on: March 30, 2017, 18:35 »
    Looks like it could be over for Nice Pro Cycling.

That's part of the start list for the Tour de Tochigi and the red bit means they won't be taking part after all. Their twitter account has disappeared as well.

I was gonna post the profiles etc for the race in the small races thread, but I can't be bothered now. :(
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #100 on: March 31, 2017, 10:49 »
    Looks like it could be over for Nice Pro Cycling.

That's part of the start list for the Tour de Tochigi and the red bit means they won't be taking part after all. Their twitter account has disappeared as well.
    After the Vaubourzeix incident, I can't say I'm surprised.

Here's what I think happened:
    Riders were not only made to pay their own airfares to/from races (which is not too unusual at very small Conti teams on a shoe-string budget), but also had to wear the team's "casual clothes" at races ... which they probably had to pay for themselves as well! I can understand that Vaubourzeix & Pulidori didn't want to fund the team (owner) even more than they already did, and didn't purchase those clothes. Which Jolidon sr. didn't like at all.

Now, six weeks on, even the money that Jolidon sr. managed to extort from his riders has dried up. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #101 on: March 31, 2017, 11:03 »
    Ryan MacAnally has a "stopped working for NICE Pro Cycling Team" note on his Facebook as well, dated March 26th
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #102 on: March 31, 2017, 11:10 »
    Ryan MacAnally has a "stopped working for NICE Pro Cycling Team" note on his Facebook as well, dated March 26th
    I should really just get on with my setting up a Continental team. It's absolutely amazing how far you can get with having almost no money whatsoever! :P
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #103 on: April 05, 2017, 14:38 »
    RIP Steve Tilford

https://twitter.com/TheRaceRadio/status/849607047691644933

spent much of his time talking the dark side of the sport
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #107 on: April 20, 2017, 16:44 »
    UCI statement on Andrey Grivko

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) announces that its Disciplinary Commission has decided to suspend Mr Andrey Grivko for a period of 45 days from 1st May to 14th June 2017, following an incident which occurred at the Dubai Tour on 2nd February 2017.

The decision is based on article 12.1.005 of the UCI Regulations.

The UCI will not make any further comment on the case.

PS - obviously, the YouTube clip is from me. The UCI didn't include it in their statement!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #108 on: April 20, 2017, 16:49 »
    well, going by his (more or less) usual schedule at that time of the year, this means he will miss the Dauphiné. That's it. Romandie finishes on April 30th.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #110 on: May 12, 2017, 18:40 »
    http://cronometroenmarcha-internacional.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/bolivia-ciclismo-cerca-de-irse-pique.html

Equipo Bolivia haven't paid their riders since January. Gregori and Rodriguez have already left and Garcia is mulling things over.

If in two weeks it is not fixed, we will see what happens
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #111 on: May 12, 2017, 19:28 »

Nice on the other hand seem to have got the show back on the road. Above is the start list for catchily named Scandinavian Race which is on tomorrow.

Going from the UCI, they have added Edward Greene and a Swiss youngster (different name to the one in the start list) to the team.

Further races include Berne, GP de la Somme, Estonia etc.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #112 on: May 12, 2017, 20:55 »
    Equipo Bolivia haven't paid their riders since January. Gregori and Rodriguez have already left and Garcia is mulling things over.
    :(

Nice on the other hand seem to have got the show back on the road.
    I'll believe it when I see it. :S

Not directly related, but their former rider Jérôme Pulidori is doing quite good for himself in Tunisia, now in second place overall. He's 2'17" behind the leader, but that doesn't have to say much - today's stage had some serious time gaps:

:o
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #114 on: June 14, 2017, 10:22 »
    Hein Verbruggen has died from leukaemia, aged 75.
    Rest in peace, Hein.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 881
    « Reply #115 on: June 24, 2017, 20:20 »
    Didya notice? Dumoulin won his nat TT again. Pretty strong, considering his spring race routine.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #117 on: August 12, 2017, 17:27 »
    Boom  fined 1000 CHF for victory celebration? Watch the whole celebration - I love it   :lol  The man was REALLY excited over that win!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boom-fined-1000-chf-for-binckbank-tour-victory-celebration
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #118 on: August 15, 2017, 15:49 »
    Speaking of depression? Is that what was up with Stephen Wooldridge? Rather shocking announcement today, it's all over, but here is the Guardian:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/15/stephen-wooldridge-australian-olympic-cycling-champion-dies-aged-39

It says
    Tragically today he gave his life away  . . .
    - and pretty much all the coverage says the same thing, word for word. Means that everybody has just used the same press release. Sounds to me like suicide - and unlike most other media reporting I found, Guardian has some suicide prevention hot line numbers following the article body.

It is not so hard to imagine how this can happen, but it is very tragic that it got this far.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #119 on: September 19, 2017, 19:24 »
    UCI decided to reduce team size at every race.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/article174153566.html

7 riders per team for men's races but 8 riders for GT's and 6 riders for women's races.

Maximum of 176 riders per peloton is allowed.

176-man pelotons was pretty much the size of a classic peloton in the sixties and seventies on an average (GT's and Worlds were a bit smaller). It should be great. More entertainment and less stress for the riders.

Marc Madiot is an advocate of this measure. In his book "Parlons vélo" he claimed that he can no longer please a great many race organisers because the World Tour is taking too much room. With less riders on World Tour races, that should leave room for smaller races. For example, he deplored the fact that for the first time in 20 years he could not send a squad to the Three Days of De Panne. 

A reminder: Schaal Sels organiser Ben Simons experienced this last year but not this year.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Aqua Blue News by zinoviev letter
    [Today at 00:45]

Re: Team Aqua Blue News by zinoviev letter
    [Today at 00:13]

Re: Team Aqua Blue News by search
    [November 23, 2017, 23:36]

Re: Musings on the 2017 Season by Mellow Velo
    [November 23, 2017, 21:22]

Re: Musings on the 2017 Season by Leadbelly