• Road Captain
  • Liked: 867
  • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 12:43 by DJW »

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 4192
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 20182017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
Who is Gary :S

No surprise, it wouldn't have been my choice but it was to be expected. The UCI will exploit the British dominance in cycling for as long as they can.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3898
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    compared with the crowds and the pancake flat course this year - Yorkshire will be amazing
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6881
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Gary Verity. Boss of Welcome To Yorkshire (the local tourism agency) and the guy who organised the 2014 Grand Départ.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11164
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    I don't see a problem with World Championships in GB at all, in contrary. And with Bergen, Tirol, Yorkshire and (potentially) Bogota we should have some good races secured for the coming years now
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10901
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

No surprise, it wouldn't have been my choice but it was to be expected. The UCI will exploit the British dominance in cycling for as long as they can.

who would have been

TBH I think it will be great they can have some really hard racing if they want, Crowds will be enormous, maybe even too big, it could right awful weather so a real hardmans rider should be WC

I don't see a problem with World Championships in GB at all, in contrary. And with Bergen, Tirol, Yorkshire and (potentially) Bogota we should have some good races secured for the coming years now

agree   
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Crowds will be enormous, maybe even too big

well, still three years until 2019, Stuttgart 2007 didn't turn out as expected as well, and you can never really know how things develop in those type of countries... but at the moment it's looking good, yes
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain

TBH I think it will be great they can have some really hard racing if they want, Crowds will be enormous, maybe even too big, it could right awful weather so a real hardmans rider should be WC

The weather could make it really interesting. The Grand Depart and TdY have looked great but get a wet and windy ToB stage and the peloton is usually in shreds.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 20182017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    Don't know, I don't have an issue with the location, could be a great race with bad weather, but I'm just not a big fan of all this drooling over British cycling and while I'I have no doubt that even if a nicer location had presented itself, the UCI would have picked Yorkshire because Britain drool drool :luv
    I mean I understand the idea of building an interest in the sport in countries that don't really have a huge (road) cycling background but it's too much, we also saw another British bid for the 2018? Grand Depart and I don't think anyone would he surprised if they got it

And why again Yorkshire  :S are they trying to convince the fans Yorkshire is the only part of the United Kingdom that's not flat and boring?

PS remember when Ponferrada had designed great super tough routes and the UCI said no the races have to be easier and more boring?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    well, we have had something like a handful of Dutch GT starts over the past years + a World Championship. I just don't see the issue tbh.

And so far Yorkshire has delivered clearly the best races of those new ones in Britain, so personally I'm very happy that it's Yorkshire again - and it's 2019, that's over 5 years after the Tour de France grand depart
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    well, we have had something like a handful of Dutch GT starts over the past years + a World Championship. I just don't see the issue tbh.
    Yes and that's also pathetic and disgusting. There are over 40 countries in Europe, no need to use one location 4 or 5 times in a decade.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10901
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Yes and that's also pathetic and disgusting. There are over 40 countries in Europe, no need to use one location 4 or 5 times in a decade.

so but not all of them want it and not all them could pay
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1277
    Don't know, I don't have an issue with the location, could be a great race with bad weather, but I'm just not a big fan of all this drooling over British cycling and while I'I have no doubt that even if a nicer location had presented itself, the UCI would have picked Yorkshire because Britain drool drool :luv
    I mean I understand the idea of building an interest in the sport in countries that don't really have a huge (road) cycling background but it's too much, we also saw another British bid for the 2018? Grand Depart and I don't think anyone would he surprised if they got it

And why again Yorkshire  :S are they trying to convince the fans Yorkshire is the only part of the United Kingdom that's not flat and boring?

PS remember when Ponferrada had designed great super tough routes and the UCI said no the races have to be easier and more boring?
    One of the advantages with Yorkshire is that it's very large (relative to other unitary areas) and vary varied. This means that you can have pretty much any sort of race you want, anything from the pan flat around York to the sort of terrain that makes LBL look a little bit uneven. The finishing location will reveal what sort of race it is to be: West is good, East is boring (assuming the North Yorkshire Moors are out of the equation).

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2288
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game

Precisely why Yorkshire again is because of what Yorkshire delivered the last time and they put the bid in, not Wales (unfortunately) or Scotland..
    Can't blame the UCI for not looking this particular gift horse in the mouth.
    They aren't going to turn their noses up at such a lucrative venue, just because you don't like Britain, Flo. :D
    Globally, it will be as prominent as Qatar is currently obscure.

Another plus will be that Colombia must now be odds on for 2020, given that Yorkshire will make it the third successive year in Europe.
    That's if Yorkshire is still part of Europe, come 2019. :-x
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1445
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    Well if it's anything like stage 2 of the TdF was last year then we're in for a treat.

I'll be gutted if they go for a flat parcours though.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1277
    Well if it's anything like stage 2 of the TdF was last year then we're in for a treat.

I'll be gutted if they go for a flat parcours though.
    Assuming you mean 2014?

York to Sheffield = Awesome
    Sheffield to York = Awful
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1445
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    Assuming you mean 2014?

Yeah. Whichever year it was.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    A route that incorporates some of the steadier climbs and scenery of the Dales, the crazy steep roads of West and South Yorkshire and bits of the Peak District where the crowds were covering the moors in 2014 would suit me.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 356
    • Awards: Spring Classics Prediction Champ2014, 2015, 2017 Official Prediction Game Champ2017 Vuelta Prediction Champ2017 Worlds Prediction Champ
    Jenkin road ripped stage 2 apart
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6881
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Assuming you mean 2014?

Anything that finishes in Sheffield will do.
    I think they don't have any other choice for the road race - Sheffield is the only substantial city that is close enough to hilly terrain.

The TTTs and ITTs can then be held in other, more rural and/or flatter territory.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2494
    That hilly Tour stage in Yorkshire got a pretty worthy winner - here's hoping for a repeat!

Pretty good choice from the UCI. A region where cycling is popular yet still has room to develop further, with potential for good crowds and an interesting parcours. Don't really understand Flo's idea that this is an obsession with the Brits: the grand depart will be 5 years ago in 2019, the last UK world championships - which, unlike Tour starts, the UCI actually has an influence on - will have been 37 (!) years ago. Makes perfect sense to go there again, even leaving aside the economic reasons which are obviously the biggest factor.

After this year's non-event in Qatar, this should mean there are at least three interesting WCs coming up. Colombia in 2020 would make it four.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6523
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Recent Topics