search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13547
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Although Evenepoel's 2nd place secured #teambe Belgium a second spot for the Olympics, according to Het Nieuwsblad, Campenaerts missing the internal qualification criteria (Top 8) could mean, that he will not go to Tokyo. The national coach now has free choice who to hand out the 2nd spot to, and as all starters have to participate in two events at least (and as there are only 5 starters in the road race), it's more likely that the spot goes to someone who is of more use in the road race (like de Plus, for example)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3886
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    This should be adopted as the Official race promo.  Quite the sight today.  :)

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177185280018845697
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8516
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

German Gomes did finish. Van Uden didn't.

Very anonymous rides by France, Belgium and Denmark.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Junior Women's RR

U23 Men's RR

Not much longer than today's junior race and with less climbing. :S

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Before I get to the Jr Women...

It was quite the race for the Jr Men today. The weather was just bad enough to add some intrigue and to give it a proper English flavor.

Some minor crashes kept things tense enough (I don't believe anyone suffered serious injury), and all that was left was for the strongest team to assert themselves duly.

As the road went up, so did the intensity from the determined and motivated U.S. squad.
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177199374859939840

Perhaps the most durable rider of the day was *usa 17-year-old Magnus Sheffiled, who seems built more like an Olympic gymnast than a cyclist. He's thick like a farm boy, and just as gritty.
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177204494762946561

Time and again we saw him driving the pack, keeping the pace high, and discouraging all contenders from mounting any serious threats.
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177217081063944192

Most of us were wondering if Team *usa had worked too hard, too soon—they were relentless throughout the race. But those concerns quickly shifted to wondering the same of race favorite Quinn Simmon's ambitious solo escape.
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177222874119188480

He quickly established a gap that fluctuated between 40 and 50 seconds, and never really looked back. *it Alessio Martinelli made a brave effort to reel Simmons in, but it soon became apparent that his would be a race for 2nd place.
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177228408260087812

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177229827721613314

Behind, it appeared that Sheffield was done for the day, having successfully delivered his team leader to victory. But alas, he would not be so easily dismissed. As *it Gianmarco Garofoli and *nl Enzo Leijnse pursued their own podium dreams behind Martinelli, Sheffield somehow found the strength to make it a foursome for the finish by adding himself and  *no Vegard Stokke into the mix.

With 1st and 2nd place clearly without dispute, it was the final step on the podium that would only be determined at the line. Once again, The Terminator that was Magnus Sheffield managed to lead off the front, and hold off the other three for the final sprint to further cement the U.S. dominance on the day—not something we're used to seeing when the Rainbow prize is on the line.
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177237521497055233

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177241807131947009

Who knew? I never imagined such a thing!  :P
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177258310074011649

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177244753118806016

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7734
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    U23 Men's RR

Not much longer than today's junior race and with less climbing. :S
    That's the problem with having such long (and different) run-ins to the circuit: The races (or at least their profiles) end up much too different. World Championships should be defined by the (finishing) circuit and how the various categories race it, not by how the run-ins from the start to the circuit differ from each other.

And leaving aside that bit, it should be only logical that the older riders get, the more laps of the circuit they should do. Having the men's juniors and the men's U23 do the same number of laps - that's just plain weird.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    I can't seem to find any proper previews of tomorrow's events from any of the big sources. :slow

My brain is full from all the racing that's taken place thus far, so I haven't the energy to investigate too thoroughly myself. But given the level of entertainment provided over the past few days, and the fact that we have another two-fer lined up for Friday, I can't imagine that one, or both, of the races won't be worth watching.

The Women's Junior Road Race kicks off at...3:30am for me. So my online attendance is "yet to be determined."  :zzz2

The Men's U23 will air at a leisurely 8:30am, so look for my uninformed perspective starting then (if not sooner).  :D

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Jastrab could do with a couple of red arrows too. Great season for her and she's already got over 20 national titles. Watch out Coryn!

Agreed!

*usa Megan Jastrab ⬅︎ *usa

Just read this intriguing profile of her:

How Megan Jastrab became U.S. cycling’s newest star
    Now 17, Jastrab remains an extraordinary talent, and she’s well on her way to making some of her dreams a reality. A condensed list of her 2019 accomplishments (thus far) includes the stage 2 victory at the Redlands Classic with her Rally-UHC trade team; victory at the first race in the UCI junior women’s Nation’s Cup, Piccolo Trofeo Alfredo Binda, in a sprint; second place at the Gent-Wevelgem junior women’s Nation’s Cup event, winning the field sprint behind a solo Elynor Bäckstedt, daughter of Paris-Roubaix winner Magnus Bäckstedt.

Then, Jastrab won a stage and the overall at the Healthy Aging Tour in the Netherlands.

And then, just this week, Jastrab won the junior national titles in the road race and criterium. Those wins marked her 20th and 21st national titles.

I may have to set my alarm now.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Having the men's juniors and the men's U23 do the same number of laps - that's just plain weird.

The U23 are doing less laps than the juniors!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    The U23 are doing less laps than the juniors!
    Are they? They are. And with an easier run-in. :o
    That's not just weird, that's downright ridiculous. :S

They were originally planned to do three laps, though ... I can't be bothered to find out what caused this change.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    They were originally planned to do three laps, though ... I can't be bothered to find out what caused this change.

Visibility.

Concerns about dwindling daylight due to overcast skies and the time of day.

Rider safety and quality of camera coverage were cited as the primary reasons.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 08:28 by Drummer Boy »

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177526452453031937

Joint best race at Innsbruck, but the least said about the 2019 version the better.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    the least said about the 2019 version the better.
    :-x

It was a crashy crash-fest on a mind-numbingly boring course. One late attack by *fr Cedrine Kerbaol was quickly matched by the lone rider from *cl Catalina Anais Soto Campos, for the first significant animation of the race. For a time it appeared that their effort might hold. But eventually the poorly organized peloton was forced into action by the quickly-approaching finish.

Rain began to fall only for the final few km. Not to be outdone, riders continued to fall as well.

The uphill finish was a two-girl race, with Leadbelly⬅︎ favorite *usa Megan Jastrab overpowering TT champ  *ru Aigul Gareeva, while nabbing yet another top spot for the country where such accomplishments will go entirely unnoticed.
     :shh

And people tell me that I talk too fast!
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1177531324124553216

Props to 2nd place  *be Julie de Wilde for her explosive closing speed in the final couple hundred meters. That was impressive.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Men's  U23 Road Race...

#rainbow  :S #rainbow  :S #rainbow  :S #rainbow  :S #rainbow  :S #rainbow  :S #rainbow  :S #rainbow  :S
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4567
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    What a mess. I was rooting for Battistella and he looked really happy in his post-race interview so I'm glad. But this is so heartbreaking for Eekhoff at the same time... :S
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    The UCI have announced that the DSQ was for drafting behind a vehicle for too long. The bits of video I have seen have not looked any worse than you see in many races when someone is coming back from a crash so at the moment it seems very harsh to me. Perhaps the UCI will provide more of the evidence that led to the decision but I will be surprised if they do
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Here's a long-ish video of Eekhoff's chase back.
    I don't see anything out of the ordinary in this:
    https://twitter.com/alexfalkeman/status/1177662328399155200

What I see is a rider trying to come back to the peloton, leapfrogging through the convoy (apparently after a crash). Something that happens all the time. He's using each car for a bit of slipstream, that's totally common practice. I've been in several race convoys and have seen this exact thing dozens of times. As long as you're not drafting your own team car and don't get sticky bottles, it's something that's tolerated, to the point of setting a precedent.

He doesn't get a sticky bottle - on the contrary, when he hands something to his team car, it takes only a very short time. And he doesn't stay behind the #teamnl car for more than a few seconds.

I wouldn't have DSQed him for what I saw on that video, and I certainly hope the commissaires had additional and more damning footage at their disposal to justify that call.

EDIT: Reading this piece on Cyclingnews, he was 'brought back' to the convoy by the #teamnl car after a crash and mechanical.
    That sounds a bit more ominous, and like something that could indeed justify a disqualification.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 21:22 by LukasCPH »

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Elite Women's RR

Dutch the big favourites. Their biggest enemy? Themselves, Italy and Chloe Dygert.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Dutch the big favourites. Their biggest enemy? Themselves, Italy and Chloe Dygert.
    Pretty much, yeah. :D

I'm looking forward to this race. I more-than-half-expect to see Marta Beastianelli sit on every Dutch rider who moves, not take a single turn, and outsprint them all in the end ... but I'm hoping for something else.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Perhaps the UCI will provide more of the evidence that led to the decision but I will be surprised if they do
    Here's a long-ish video of Eekhoff's chase back.

I certainly hope the commissaires had additional and more damning footage at their disposal to justify that call.

Apparently it wasn't just based on what may, or may not have been, caught on camera.

Italian television channel Rai have reported that Eekhoff's GPS data aroused concern from the race jury, with the Dutchman suggested to have reached speeds beyond what should have been possible on a bike as he chased back on after his crash.
    Now if that's true, and if the data indicated something truly egregious, then they might have a case. But the very least they could do is release such data. But it also begs the question of why they would've been examining his GPS data in the first place.

Odd, though, that I haven't heard anything more of this from any other sources. :slow

FWIW, the UCI Commissaires Panel is made up of:

*be Luc Herpelinck (President)
     *it Davide Bardelli
     *ca Josée Bardard
     *uk Martin Bridgwood
     *fr Jérôme Lappartient
     *ch Ariane Previtali
     *es Vincente Tortajada Villarroya

The UCI belatedly confirmed that Eekhoff, Alexander Konychev (Italy) and Andreas Nielsen (Denmark) were all disqualified for prolonged drafting behind a team car.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 01:32 by Drummer Boy »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Apparently it wasn't just based on what may, or may not have been, caught on camera.
    Now if that's true, and if the data indicated something truly egregious, then they might have a case. But the very least they could do is release such data. But it also begs the question of why they would've been examining his GPS data in the first place.
    Exactly this.
    The disqualification(s) may well be justified. We don't know.
    The best thing the UCI could do - and the one thing it absolutely should do - is to explain the DSQ and release the supporting evidence.

It's so obvious a course to create transparency about this high-profile judgment that I'm not at all surprised they don't do it. :snooty
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4090
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Given that in the Vuelta when there was a crash involving Roglic, the Commissaires actually advised that they were bringing the riders up to the peleton ... it is a little strange that they are now DQ'ing someone for doing exactly that, in essentially the same circumstances.

He wasnt dropped, he crashed. 
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3486

It was a crashy crash-fest on a mind-numbingly boring course.

That was completely horrible! So many crashes it even became painful to watch the race, never mind ending up on the bottom of one of the pile-ups.

Such courses with technically difficult sections should include some difficulty before they get to the technical stuff, so that the peloton is thinned a bit (if nothing else, by a breakaway being able to break away) before the tight turns start. A few more hills early on could probably make it a safer race as opposed to the 50 km runway these girls had.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Concerning the Eekhoff case, it strikes me as being very similar to the case of Arnaud Demare in the Milano - Sanremo a few years back, except the outcome is the opposite (Demare was not DSQ’ed) , while the public reaction remains the same (outrage).

Isn’t it ironic?  :-x

Personally I think it is positive if hanging on to a car isn’t allowed and a positive development that the UCI dare to follow up on that even when star riders are involved. I am sorry, but this just has to hurt sometimes, or the racers won’t give it a second thought while chasing advantages to get up the road.Nibali and Bardet have experienced similar DSQs as Eekhoff, but not at races that were equally important to them.

The other question is, why not punish immediately? Eekhoff did not only make his own race, he made the race for others as well. Without him, it is likely that the chasing group would not have caught the leaders on the final lap. That would have placed Foss in 4th, ahead of Higuita and Kron. This shows that delayed action by the commissaires also introduce unfairness in the competition. On-the-spot calls should be used more frequently!

One question that comes to mind is, do all racers have a (UCI supplied) GPS data recording or -ideally- recording and transmitting unit now? It has been at the TDF, but the worlds is a simpler race with a less resourceful host. If not, GPS data as evidence is thin ice as these units can be tampered with to record only what you want to record and the resulting data files are probably even easier to hack.

With the advantage of reviewing this the day after, and seeing it in a slightly longer perspective I think the UCI commissaries here should be lauded for daring to take an unpopular decision that will benefit the sport in the long run, but criticized for doing it too slowly. This championship can be remembered for drawing the line and not accepting the Demare MSR outcome.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    The other question is, why not punish immediately?
    Apparently the entire footage of the drafting was not part of the broadcast, so they wouldn't have seen it until after-the-fact. Although I've yet to understand how it came to their attention.

Eekhoff did not only make his own race, he made the race for others as well.
    To me, this is where the real travesty lies. Once they crossed the finish line, there was no undoing the previous hours worth of racing. The dynamics of that front break would've been quite different without Eekhoff's presence, and to pretend otherwise is a fantasy on the part of the UCI. It would be like erasing a goal that occurred in the first period of a hockey game without recognizing the effect that goal had on everything that occurred afterward.

With the advantage of reviewing this the day after, and seeing it in a slightly longer perspective I think the UCI commissaries here should be lauded for daring to take an unpopular decision that will benefit the sport in the long run, but criticized for doing it too slowly.
    This was just released, and yes, it is a long tow. It doesn't look good. However, no one would've seen this anyway, and there wouldn't have been  any protests. But again, since he was allowed to continue and impact the race the way he did, they should've let the results stand. It's just terrible for the sport either way.

https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/1177926227983765504
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    It's just terrible for the sport either way.
    Quoted for the truth.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1639
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    . . .
    This was just released, and yes, it is a long tow.  . . .

https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/1177926227983765504
    Not only was it a long tow, it was quite apparent that the auto driver knew and assisted the drafting. Two damning points: midway through the tow, the car and Eekhof pass another rider. The car speeds up to pass, dropping Eekhoff. Once Eekhoff has successfully passed the other rider, the car slows sufficiently that Eekhof can get back on. Second point - during much of the tow, both before and after that pass, Eekhof is in full draft mode - I would guess less than 6" off the back of the car. You don't do that when you're just moving back up through the support vehicles. Or, at least, not for long.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

t-72

• Road Captain
    So, should we get back to the real racing of the day?  :angel

The Dutch women continue to race like a females only pack of wolves and today´s win was highly reminiscent of Philippe Gilbert winning in the Ronde van Vlaanderen. An impressive in itself, earlier-than-you-thought-they-would attack on the second climb of the day, but of course what was most impressing wasn’t opening the gap in itself. It was maintaining it and then increasing it over 100 and then some kilometers. In other words, the
    LoooooOooOoOoOOOOoOOoOOOoooOOOoooOOooOooOOOOOOoooooOOoOoooOooOoOOOngest
    solo.
    There was elements of tactics in having van der Breggen in the chasing group, but this was a case of simply being the strongest rider on the road attacking early and then just never looking back.
    It was the most boring race to watch and I hit a record snooze/watch ratio without missing anything at all, I think. (Perfect for me while nursing my fever out of my body! )

Annemiek, you are the Queen of the day! That was a royal performance! (Look at the gaps, she absolutely smashed everyone!)

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Women's U23 RR

1st *usa Chloe Dygert

2nd *co Paula Patino

3rd *uk Anna Henderson
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3277
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Pretty much, yeah. :D

I'm looking forward to this race. I more-than-half-expect to see Marta Beastianelli sit on every Dutch rider who moves, not take a single turn, and outsprint them all in the end ... but I'm hoping for something else.

Well you got something else but I’m not sure it was any better.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.