• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3316
Tomorrow, bring your wellingtons, umbrellas and something warm to drink:

https://twitter.com/envagencyyne/status/1177990685724741632
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8146
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B28uCVQIyKs/

Quote from: Cassani
    I'm on the path of tomorrow's world championship. A ford with 20 cm of water. If it rains tomorrow as it seems, I hope the riders are not in such situations. It would be a shame because it would become very dangerous.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

t-72

• Road Captain
    What is the star sign for?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

First's favourites I guess.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    There’s something strange with that list and I realize that there isn’t anyone with 3 previous wins on the list. The whole country is wiped off the list.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Well you got something else but I’m not sure it was any better.
    It was a jaw-dropping performance by Van Vleuten, and she absolutely deserves that #rainbow jersey.

But I agree that as a race, it was rather uneventful. There were only three attacks, really: Van Vleuten starting her 105-km solo, Dygert attacking to chase her on the finishing laps (and later blowing up, likely due to inexperience), and Van der Breggen shaking off Spratt on the final lap.

Like last year, not much happened in the women's race.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    There’s something strange with that list and I realize that there isn’t anyone with 3 previous wins on the list. The whole country is wiped off the list.

It's a problem with the use of the First start list Iframe, if there are a lot of teams/riders then on some screen resolutions the bottom will get cut off.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Women's U23 RR

1st *usa Chloe Dygert

2nd *co Paula Patino

3rd *uk Anna Henderson

:slow

It took me a moment to decipher this.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    The whole country is wiped off the list.
    Tell me about it!  :o

It denotes all the riders who will be behind dark horse winner *usa Lawson Craddock.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    :win Weather :win

Awful.   :flustered :onfire2  :cool  :D

The local area has a weather warning in place for heavy rain, with the chance of flooding. The worst of the weather will be in the morning, which would normally be good news for a bike race, but this race starts at 0840. The heavy downpour will leave the peloton feeling wet, something they won’t be able to shake for the rest of the day. The rain is to continue into the afternoon, but won’t be as heavy as the morning. The roads will be wet and slippery, expect to see many crashes throughout the day.

Poor weather will make this a hugely challenging day, a race of attrition. 2013 was the last wet world championships, we only had 61 finishers that day. I think we’ll see even less riders completing the race this year, it’s going to be a huge battle out there.

Is there any chance of course interruption?

Have they planned accordingly, in case?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1178190282858340354?

ie. No Buttertubs or Grinton Moor
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Apparently so.
    Buttertubs and Grinton Moor are cut, shaving 40 km (and the two main climbs) off the point-to-point bit.
    Instead, they will do nine laps of the Harrogate circuit and not just seven.

In other words, rain and flooding have turned the men's elite race from that weird "big loop with a circuit slapped onto the end" format to the more usual "inconsequential run-in merely serving to get distance in, followed by circuit where the actual racing happens".

As it should be. Worlds are about the circuit and the difficulties that serves, not about criss-crossing the surrounding countryside.
    :admin
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3026
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    :win Weather :win

It’s happening apparently. Buttertubs and Grinton Moor are out. 9 laps in Harrogate.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 476
    Wow more than 24 hours after the race this is the first post on the mens race... says something about our busy lives and dwindling numbers...

So I wonder if any of us made it to Harrogate on Sunday?  I fully intended to, but family events got in the way, and whilst I crossed the Pennines on Sunday morning and saw a lot of standing water I didn't have the chance to go on to the event.  Instead i watched it as live on BBC I player last night.

Hosted by the very welcome return of Chris Boardman; and an equally puzzling anchor role for Rochelle Gilmour in an unexplained Snow Queen Pantomine costume, although very apposite it almost was.

So despite the disappointment of the cancellation of the climbs I still thoroughly enjoyed the race; as I almost always do.   Perhaps its the lack of radios making a really positive difference to the organisational abilities of the teams, that gentle blend of simmering internecine rivalries, supposedly suspended for the day; or just the sheer enormity of the prize on offer; but I found it fascinating again.

Clearly the weather was brutal but we have all seen worse - as yesterday the temperature was mercifully pleasant, it was just the never-ending rain.  The lack of helicopters didn't seem as bad as the mid race loss of bike cameras; reducing us to fixed point views and lots of slo mo's of not that much; and a lack of coherence in following the head of the race. 

I was shocked and disappointed when MVDP blew up so horrendously; but we learn to pick a new hero and villain so was delighted to cheer Pedersen home vs odds on favourite Trentin.

The best part of the post race for me was the quick interview with Sagan, I hope you saw it Echoes, he suggested that the race boiled down to "somebody being over confident; and somebody being in the right place at the right time" - nicely put by our Peter.

So not a classic but an intriguing battle played out across some great country and in a fantastic Yorkshire town; albeit in biblical rain...

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    So I wonder if any of us made it to Harrogate on Sunday?

The occasionally recurring informal poll would seem to indicate that no Veloroomies made it to the roadside, despite the best intentions of a few.

Seeing MvdP bonk so spectacularly was quite the surprise, but I'm not disappointed that the Rainbow Jersey eluded him. I expected him to win, but feel it would've been slightly strange for the sport, given his less-than-full-time status as a road warrior.

Sagan was certainly the secondary consideration, but we've seen that. So having a surprise at the finish—especially when the strength of Mads, and his deservedness of the win, could not be questioned—was a refreshing sight. Not to the mention the glory of being the first Dane to pull it off.
     :cool

It was a race of attrition, if ever there was one, and we can only imagine how many fewer riders may have crossed the finish line had they been faced with the intended two climbs of Buttertubs and Grinton Moor, and the extra 24 kilometers of the original profile.

Would the winner have been different? Impossible to say, of course. But this was one for the ages, and it capped off a week that offered much more than I could've hoped for. A tremendous series of races from beginning to end.
    #rainbow  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    The Colombians did surprisingly well (to me anyway). They don't really produce classic riders and with the weather being what it was, I assumed it was just a case of them turning up and probably climbing off when they got to the circuits.

However Quintana got in the early break, Martinez tried to go with Trentin/MVDP, Betancur along with Gorka attempted to bridge to the leaders, Chaves had an unlucky mech late in the race and even Hodeg outlasted Bennett in the front group.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ

So I wonder if any of us made it to Harrogate on Sunday?

I was in Harrogate on Sunday and managed to get a decent spot where the finish line was semi visible. Visible enough to see Mads raise his arms as he crossed the line which was a pleasant surprise to everyone around us.

Given the weather, the crowds were incredible around Harrogate, and were decent sized throughout the whole week (my parents live nearby and we went in to see the Men's Junior race on Thursday as well).

Seeing riders weave in and out of pub crowds on their way back to their buses was a bit surreal. Saw a very tired Roglic struggling to shift a no entry sign to get to this bus as we were parking in Waitrose. :D

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/1178321318904774658
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:10 by LukasCPH »

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    it was a fun race to watch - a really, really hard worlds in which the winner totally deserved to win.

Disappointed for Gilbert of course - but that is racing.  I too am somewhat glad that MVDP didnt win.  I feel it would have been a bit demeaning for the rainbow jersey to be won and worn by a guy who cant even committ to the road full time.   His time will come though ...

I was a bit surprised that Alaphillipe didnt do a bit more ... I thought a hard slog was a bit more his style. 
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1078
    So i've just rewatched the final 70 km this evening and the performance of the riders on the podium has really shone through watching it again.

Kung went clear 67km from the finish, Pedersen 47 km and Trentin 33km. It's been quite a while since riders were off the front from that far out at the worlds in smallish groups and held on. Whether it was the course or weather or a combination of both all 3 put in impressive performances. while Trentin was considered a favourite for the race the other 2 were definite outsiders but (and this is with a massive amount of hindsight) both Pedersen and Kung had won the last one day races they'd each started so had good form coming into the event.

It might have been the lack of radios that meant a chase wasn't well organised but given that when Trentin and Van der Poel caught Pedersen, Kung and Moscon the gap was only 10 seconds had the Belgian, French and Germans worked together the move might well have been shut down and a different outcome have ended up being what occured. They didn't make that combined effort and that played to the riders in front who worked well together till the finish.

I will jut have to disagree with Servais Knavendish on one thing which was the use of Boardman by the BBC. As someone talking about the race before and after he's quite good but on commentary i thought he was quite poor. There were some howlers like when he didn't realise both Moscon and Trentin were Italian and Gilmore and Brotherton had to correct him without doing it to blatantly. His mixing up Colombians with Belgians, they do have a similair kit but not so similair that close up shots you get it wrong like he did and talking about the race as if Moscon hadn't rejoined the leading group after the first occasion he'd been dropped even though on the screen in front of us we could see he'd been back on for a few minutes. Perhaps I'm being overly harsh on him but some of it just seemed strange when watching.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    It might have been the lack of radios that meant a chase wasn't well organised but given that when Trentin and Van der Poel caught Pedersen, Kung and Moscon the gap was only 10 seconds had the Belgian, French and Germans worked together the move might well have been shut down and a different outcome have ended up being what occured. They didn't make that combined effort and that played to the riders in front who worked well together till the finish.
    More and more I think that we underestimate just how tired everyone was, physically but also mentally, by then.
    Yes, the gap was small at that point - but after 5+ hours in the rain, without radios, and on a twisting course, you need to 1) realise that, 2) decide to make the effort, 3) actually make the effort.
    And just who was left in the 'peloton' then who would undoubtedly qualify as a domestique, with no own aspirations on that day whatsoever?

Yes, #teambe #teamfr #teamde arguably still should have closed it. But the window of opportunity closed again quickly, and then it was too late.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    yep I totally agree

fatogue was a huge factor - and decision making when you are that fatigued is a different story to a normal race
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    The Colombians did surprisingly well (to me anyway). They don't really produce classic riders and with the weather being what it was, I assumed it was just a case of them turning up and probably climbing off when they got to the circuits.

However Quintana got in the early break, Martinez tried to go with Trentin/MVDP, Betancur along with Gorka attempted to bridge to the leaders, Chaves had an unlucky mech late in the race and even Hodeg outlasted Bennett in the front group.

I disagree strongly on your comment about Colombia not being classics riders, here is a couple of references:
    Carlos Betancur (Italian classics and the Ardennes races)
    Fernando Gaviria (a factor in the MSR even on his first appearance, and win in the Paris-Tours)
    And not to be forgotten, the Monument:
    Esteban Chaves - Il Lombardia 2016 :win

In a pre race interview, Chaves pretty much said Betancur is their man for bad weather one-day races.

The hilly classics are classics too!
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 476
    I was in Harrogate on Sunday and managed to get a decent spot where the finish line was semi visible. Visible enough to see Mads raise his arms as he crossed the line which was a pleasant surprise to everyone around us.

Given the weather, the crowds were incredible around Harrogate, and were decent sized throughout the whole week (my parents live nearby and we went in to see the Men's Junior race on Thursday as well).

Seeing riders weave in and out of pub crowds on their way back to their buses was a bit surreal. Saw a very tired Roglic struggling to shift a no entry sign to get to this bus as we were parking in Waitrose. :D

Well good on you; that sounds great - and in spite of the deluge would have loved to have been there too... I think.

Oh well - only 4 years to wait for another "UK Based World champs Velorooms meet up opportunity" - roll on World Road Race (and everything else almost) champs 2023 in Glasgow- in the summer...???  So Similar conditions likely.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Kung went clear 67km from the finish, Pedersen 47 km and Trentin 33km. It's been quite a while since riders were off the front from that far out at the worlds in smallish groups and held on.

Doha 2016 when a group of about 20 split from the peloton in the crosswinds after about 100km? (Can´t remember exact distance but I found a map saying first passing of finish line (start of 7 local laps) was at 151 km.

Then of course, there is the discussion if a small group including Sagan, Cavendish, Boonen, Kristoff, EBH, Matthews, Hayman, Terpstra, van Avermaet is really a small group. Yes it was flat, yes Doha Quatar and all the lacking spectators, the locals using their cars to attack junior women´s cyclists and their HR record and all that - but the racing itself that day was class.

(See I almost got over the disaster of the Norwegian team back then...but now I remembered, let me curse EBH one more time for that  :angry )
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Doha 2016 when a group of about 20 split from the peloton in the crosswinds after about 100km? (Can´t remember exact distance but I found a map saying first passing of finish line (start of 7 local laps) was at 151 km.
    That group consisted of 25 riders though, with several of the represented nations had 3-4 riders up there.
    So the situation was much different from those small groups we saw on Sunday where everyone had to work for themselves, more or less.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    That group consisted of 25 riders though, with several of the represented nations had 3-4 riders up there.
    So the situation was much different from those small groups we saw on Sunday where everyone had to work for themselves, more or less.

I see your point, it depends on how you define small group - in my head, it is only clearly different from the peloton/gruppe compacto  which would be the big group, main group etc -. Even if it is a reduced peloton ?!??  (Not even entirely clear in my own head, this...)

And as far as small group means everyone has to work for themselves for a long distance, if you take that to the extreme you don´t get to Sunday, you can only come to Saturday, at which point a kind voice will explain to you in Dutch that your definition of a small group in the extreme leads to a 100 km solo win.  :D   
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts