collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7563
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
I see your point, it depends on how you define small group - in my head, it is only clearly different from the peloton/gruppe compacto  which would be the big group, main group etc -. Even if it is a reduced peloton ?!??  (Not even entirely clear in my own head, this...)

And as far as small group means everyone has to work for themselves for a long distance, if you take that to the extreme you don´t get to Sunday, you can only come to Saturday, at which point a kind voice will explain to you in Dutch that your definition of a small group in the extreme leads to a 100 km solo win.  :D
Another difference between Doha and Yorkshire is that in Doha, they just drilled it in the crosswinds and gaps opened. That front group didn't attack from the peloton as such, they split the peloton through a sustained group effort - and then kept the move going.
In Yorkshire, all the riders ahead of the peloton had made an attack at some point to go ahead of the bunch.

That's the main criterion I'm using - on Sunday, there was group 1, group 2 (and group 3 for a short while); in Qatar, I would have called them peloton 1, peloton 2 etc.

Of course, groups of attackers can also become rather large: In some Grand Tour breakaway stages, you can have 30 riders in the breakaway. But again, they all attacked from the peloton.

When does a small group become a large group? On Sunday, we had a short time with a front group of four and a chasing group of four. Had those two groups merged to a group of eight, that would get close to being a large group.
4-6 riders will normally be able to agree to work together - the larger a group becomes, the more tempting it will be for riders to skip turns. When that happens, it's definitely not a small group anymore (or the rider is just a dick). There is no absolute number, just a grey area.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 235
    Pancakes was a popular treat and it still is. Mads had set aside monday for press requests and tv and all the people that had asked for him and planned to celebrate at home with pancakes tuesday. For wednesday he had been invited to the mayor's office in Copenhagen, tradition after big performances in sport, to have pancakes also. Drama followed because the also invited Magnus Cort's train was held up by several collisions and so when he made it to the reception his pancakes were cold, something that I can't stand personally.

Mads hopes to be selected for TDF next year. He will race Eurométropole, Tre Valle Varesine and Milano-Torino but not Paris-Tours. His favorite cyclist is Alejandro Valverde and he was happy to be congratulated by him after sunday's race. Historically his favorite is Tom Boonen. In the old interview quoted below he says his goal for this year was to do one performance as good as Flanders last year. He is extraordinarily mature and from the stories that people have told seems to always have been.

One of the best stories is about how at age fourteen he had said to his father that if he ever had the means he would help him do something other than a difficult day job. So last year they opened a bicycle store and his dad no longer have to get up every day to a job he hated.

This about his dad from a piece I read (https://www.giornale.dk/interview/2018/8/31/vddelberen).

- Consider when I was twelve I had to pull him up this hill while he held on (under the saddle, on a scooter I think). A twelve-year-old dragging 100 kg up a hill. I have told him that when he's old and in a wheelchair unable to do anything I'll smack him around for all the stuff he has done to make me suffer.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 18:47 by ciranda »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    He is extraordinarily mature and from the stories that people have told seems to always have been.
    I didn't have that much interaction with him back in 2016 when we were both at #stolting - when he won the stage in Norway, I was on holiday at the Giro d'Italia, so it wasn't me writing the press release - and only met him in person at the team presentation and the Cyclassics.

But from what I've experienced myself and heard from others, I can confirm that he is both mature and friendly.
    A good lad, and now in #rainbow. I couldn't be happier. :win
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2019/10/21/eekhoff-challenge-road-worlds-disqualification-cas?fbclid=IwAR1PdFt7RBgDgyyiHrqm3mEbGbFsQpiZUj5rr3EYV3CUHmlN8VolUzgti2U

so Eekhoff has decisded he is going to appeal his DQ from the U23 race ... all headed to CAS.

With the video supplied by the UCI I cant see him getting anywhere with that .. but I guess you never know
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts